Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Another example of FR misjudging the public mood really, but as they say themselves their fares are their pull so...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Next thing you know BA will be along saying we can buy you both if you like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

fr336 wrote: »
    Next thing you know BA will be along saying we can buy you both if you like....

Haha had to laugh at that! I think the FR social people will be getting a roaring in the morning ''We are friendly people, TWEET HAPPINESS'''

• Advertisement

Don't mean to keep hating on FR but what is different about the logo? Larger / smaller breasts?

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/555316220627804160

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I think the FR social people will be getting a roaring in the morning ''We are friendly people, TWEET HAPPINESS'''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Jack1985 wrote:
    Had to laugh at CityJet's input, poor feckers I do forget about them sometimes!

*poor Fokkers

man98 wrote: »
    *poor Fokkers

Just brilliant lads! :D:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

B7h7ascCIAEQ3r6.jpg
    What a way to ruin your day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    ....]
    What a way to ruin your day...

Looks like NOC

:D:D

Tenger wrote: »
    Looks like NOC

:D:D

On a good day, maybe :D

Flight International is reporting that the VVIP A380 that was ordered by Kingdom Holding of Saudi Arabia has been cancelled.

75 years since the inaugural flight from Dublin (Collinstown) Airport.

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2015/01/19/congratulations-dublin-airport-on-your-75th-birthday

14028_1023506777676945_4352836551207794111_n.jpg?oh=95b644f46a3ddbf6b269b290da431121&oe=55340A26&__gda__=1432911012_a5106d3031c1ff996ae3b10282580203

Picture courtesy of the Irish Air Corps facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If anyone fancies some daytime TV, "Inside RAF Brize Norton" is on Sky 1 at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Interesting Nationwide tonight on RTE1. Subject was Ordnance Survey Ireland, they had a short clip of the Shannon based survey Aztec "Emerald 024".

Should be on RTE +1 at 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Have I completed the hat trick?

I've now met Walsh, O'Leary and that other current 'legendary' air line owner / operator - Susi Pudjiastuti of SUSI Air. She's also Indonesia's Minister for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs.

Now to see if I can get the three of them in the same room for a meal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/ryanair-dublin-map-mistake-1915614-Feb2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

screencap6-95-553x500.png

In summary:
    Kerry airport is somewhere near Listowel
    Shannon is up near Gort
    Knock is somewhere east of Galway city
    Derry is in mid Donegal, Ballybofey maybe!
    Cork airport is near Dungarvan
    and don;t even get me started about Dublin or many of their UK destinations!:D

In fairness, Bristol and Cardiff are in the right place. Leeds Bradford however...

Ha, is that all you got??

Bz7aBcEIAAEXCXv.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Jawgap wrote: »
    Have I completed the hat trick?

I've now met Walsh, O'Leary and that other current 'legendary' air line owner / operator - Susi Pudjiastuti of SUSI Air. She's also Indonesia's Minister for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs.

pics or it didn't happen! :D

I had Irish Ferries cards out on Stena Line over the summer. I did get a few looks...

I don't think you can buy those cards any more

-I have meet MoL twice, but a long time ago (he was pax on a Bae146) Pleasant guy, got a smile for my cheeky comment to him.
    -I worked way under WW, he was the CEO at the time, got a few calls from him(passed them on to my superior sharpish) He never seems happy.
    -Have spoken to Mueller on 3-4 occasions. Very impressed with him.
    -Also met the JetbLue CEO (Barger) and Head of Marketing (Marty St.George)
    -Have met Com Barrington twice,only talked to him once about plane stuff however

Tenger wrote: »
    I don't think you can buy those cards any more

-I have meet MoL twice, but a long time ago (he was pax on a Bae146) Pleasant guy, got a smile for my cheeky comment to him.
    -I worked way under WW, he was the CEO at the time, got a few calls from him(passed them on to my superior sharpish) He never seems happy.
    -Have spoken to Mueller on 3-4 occasions. Very impressed with him.
    -Also met the JetbLue CEO (Barger) and Head of Marketing (Marty St.George)
    -Have met Com Barrington twice,only talked to him once about plane stuff however

FTW, nearly 30 years ago a sprightly Darby Kennedy gave me my first flying lesson. Although I'm sure he started many more talented pilots off on their flying careers than me. Pilots who went on a lot further than their PPL.

I didn't know who he was or his back story - probably just as well as I was nervous (terrified) enough as it was without knowing the calibre of my instructor.

FTW, nearly 30 years ago a sprightly Darby Kennedy gave me my first flying lesson. ......
    Considering he is over 100 now he was a young pup back then. Never had the pleasure of meeting this legend of Irish flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Darby wrote me the politest PFO ever when looking for work experience many many years ago, stating that it was solely insurance issues that were a problem (my schools liability insurance for work experience didn't cover aviation, military or maritime environments).

Anyone else think this is a bit of dodgy reporting. It appears that the journo has no interest in understanding how airline fuel hedging works.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-loses-200m-on-failed-oil-price-gamble-30972695.html

Ryanair loses €200m on failed oil price gamble Hedging strategy backfires as jet fuel price falls...................Industry analysts have indicated Ryanair's move to lock in its future fuel needs at high prices means that it may be paying up to €200m more than it would if it bought fuel at current prices.

Seems that they don't realise that fuel hedging is not "a gamble" and that while they may have paid over the current rate the 90% fuel hedge gave them fair better forward financial stability than other airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know most people on this forum appreciate retro livery's so I thought this one was a must! One of Lufthansa's B747-8's in a retro scheme. Feast your eyes..

747-8I-DLH-1-1024x682.jpg

747-8-DLH-retro3-1024x682.jpg

More on it here on airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6310860/#menu77

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I know most people on this forum appreciate retro livery's so I thought this one was a must! One of Lufthansa's B747-8's in a retro scheme. Feast your eyes..

More on it here on airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6310860/#menu77

What a beautiful bird. :cool:

A local councillor writing in the local rag is convinced that Weston is going to change its runway to allow 737-200 flights (and also that DUB has a 1200m runway)... How the hell do these people get elected?

L1011 wrote:
    A local councillor writing in the local rag is convinced that Weston is going to change its runway to allow 737-200 flights (and also that DUB has a 1200m runway)... How the hell do these people get elected?

I'll assume this was written before 28/10 was built... when 737-200s' destinations weren't just the Mojave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

L1011 wrote: »
    He planning on putting a portal back to the eighties at the end of it?

L1011 wrote: »

By spreading patently untrue stories about controversial sensitive local issues that people are worried about :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭N64

Just so happened to stumble upon this article from 2007. Not too sure if RTE used this image intentionally :D

xv6nQyd.png

Anyone any idea why Aer Lingus are operating the 245 LGW-DUB much later (3:55 later) than normal on both last and this coming Saturday?

Its working out extremely handy for me - I used to take the 249 back from football matches frequently when it ran on Saturdays but it hasn't for a few schedules now.

I'd originally thought it might be a positioning leg from a ski charter when I saw there was a flight available and was hoping for an empty 330 to myself but its not to be!

GULFSTREAM G650ER CIRCUMNAVIGATES THE GLOBE IN ONE STOP
    Aircraft Flies Around The World In One Stop, Adds Two More City-Pair Records

SAVANNAH, Georgia, February 18, 2015 — Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. today announced that the G650ER recently set two city-pair records while flying around the world in one stop.
    The G650ER took off from White Plains, New York, with three passengers and four crew members on board. It flew 6,939 nautical miles/12,851 kilometers eastbound to Beijing at an average speed of Mach 0.87 for a total flight time of 13 hours and 20 minutes. The aircraft then flew eastbound 6,572 nm/12,171 km to Savannah, accomplishing the mission at an average speed of Mach 0.89 for a total flight time of 12 hours. The aircraft landed both times with fuel in excess of National Business Aviation Association instrument flight rule reserves.
    "There isn't another business jet capable of this mission," said Scott Neal, senior vice president, Worldwide Sales and Marketing, Gulfstream. "This flight proves just how powerful a machine the G650ER is. We promised customers an aircraft that could take them farther faster than any other;we delivered on that promise. The G650ER provides a combination of speed and range that is creating history and setting records."

Pending approval by the U.S. National Aeronautic Association, the city-pair records will be sent to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale in Switzerland for recognition as world records.
    In addition to the two pending records, the G650ER set two speed records during flight testing in 2014. The aircraft flew from Los Angeles to Melbourne, Australia, in 14 hours and 58 minutes. The G650ER then flew from Hong Kong to Teterboro, New Jersey, in 14 hours and 7 minutes.
    The G650ER can travel 7,500 nm/13,890 km at Mach 0.85 and 6,400 nm/11,853 km at Mach 0.90. It has a maximum speed of Mach 0.925.
    Current G650 owners and order-holders can upgrade their original G650 to a G650ER.
    OK maybe not exactly around the equator, but its still around the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

US Lakenheath jet crash pilot made 'dude' mayday call
    A pilot who ejected from a US fighter jet moments before it was destroyed radioed a colleague to say: "Dude, I'm getting out."

The F15-D jet from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk crashed into a field near Spalding, Lincolnshire on 8 October.

The pilot, who ejected safely, sent the message to a colleague while on a training mission.

US Department of Defense documents reveal the jet went into a flat spin at 15,000ft (4,600m) above sea level.

• Advertisement

The refit airside in Gatwick South is really rather nice. I suspect it's short on seats for busy days though.

They're definitely putting the refit work required in to back up their desire to be taken seriously and get another runway.

....US Department of Defense documents reveal the jet went into a flat spin at 15,000ft (4,600m) above sea level..

Goose dies, Goose dies, Goose dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ckeego wrote: »
    ...And you're the Moderator?

He's one of three,what's your point?

ckeego wrote: »
    ...And you're the Moderator?

I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Nim wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Me neither. It seems to have gone over our heads

lord lucan wrote: »
    He's one of three,what's your point?

His ego is writing cheques his body can't cash........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I see Ryanair are to start flying from one of the Spanish "Ghost" Airports- Castellon Costa Azahar. A little over halfways between Reus and Valencia. It opened in 2011 and the first flight was not until January gone and it was a charter. Anyway, Ryanair starting Stansted and Bristol flights in September

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/9084202/Castellon-airport-Spanish-ghost-airports-unused-runway-to-be-dug-up-to-meet-regulations.html

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2015/03/11/valencia/1426071053_292501.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

The father has been waiting for Corvera airport to open for a number of years now. It will probably end up as the above, a "ghost " airport.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

Can't post a link but there's an excellent podcast on omegataupodcast.net episode 166 flying the Concorde. Great perspective from a former BA pilot,interesting views on the 2000 Paris crash also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭GJAerLingus

Did anyone hear about the recent incident at ORD involving an Aer Lingus A330-200? I know that it was a steering problem but did they find the cause?

• Advertisement
Advertisement