Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They also do duties such as Bird watch and scare, the ambulance crew and regular runway inspections.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Question for you all. I'm flying into Manchester, and there's an A380 due in about two hours after me. Can you walk from the terminals to the Runway Visitor Park? It looks like it'd be interesting enough, and I've never seen the A380!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a bus service, timings are fairly poor: http://www.ghacoaches.co.uk/Timetables/200DY12A.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Pan Am's first office is now a micro-brewery owned by Kelly McGillis.....
    Home of Pan Am's first office, where the first American international flight ticket was bought has now become a bar owned by Top Gun's Kelly McGillis!
    Pan American World Airways was the US' largest airline from the 1920s until it's collapse in 1991. But it had it's origins in a quiet corner of America's southernmost point, Key West. On October 28th 1927, Pan Am flight number one took off from Key West, headed for Havana, Cuba. It was the first American international air service in scheduled operation. Pan Am was started by Juan Terry Trippe with the aim to "provide mass air transportation for the average man at rates he can afford to pay". Securing the air postal routes between Florida and Cuba, Trippe turned his fledgling airline out of this office into one of the world's biggest air carriers.

Where once the well to do Clipper flying boat travelers of the 1920s would buy their airplane tickets, Kelly McGillis of Top Gun fame turned the building into a bar and restaurant. Currently it is home to Key West's only microbrewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tobiaswatson

hi um I'm not sure what this thread is but it's the most recent one I could find, and hopefully ye know what you're on about as regards aviation but I have really bad insomnia, and there are planes flying over my area on the five to ten past every hour from like, eleven to six in the morning and it's driving me nuts, i live around galway, so if ye know anything I would appreciate it, gotten really curious about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Question for you all. I'm flying into Manchester, and there's an A380 due in about two hours after me. Can you walk from the terminals to the Runway Visitor Park? It looks like it'd be interesting enough, and I've never seen the A380!

I was only there at the weekend and just missed it,took me about 40min- an hour to walk from T2,a taxi is about a tenner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Thanks everyone, I'll probably get the bus across, the times should match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Cork feed working on liveatc? Says it's up but not a peep. Or is it just because it's Cork? :pac:

OH coming in from AMS. 3 flights diverted to SNN this evening because of fog. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Came across this today, very interesting to see how these guys operated, at 75000ft!!

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/7/5447310/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

pajor wrote: »
    Cork feed working on liveatc? Says it's up but not a peep. Or is it just because it's Cork? :pac:

OH coming in from AMS. 3 flights diverted to SNN this evening because of fog. :(

Her flight wasn't though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Data visualization of Air Traffic in Europe: http://vimeo.com/88093956

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the YUL post-CBP lounge at the moment waiting for a hugely delayed flight. Makes what's provided post-CBP in T2 look practically Soviet - two bars, about ten food outlets, electronics outlet, etc.

This is all here for 3.4M passengers to the US a year, considering DUB has about half or more (the list of passengers I've seen doesn't have the EWR, CLT or IAD figures) of that you'd imagine that maybe providing half as much in terms of facilities might work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thought this might be worth a mention

Former Lancaster bomber pilot, POW and Aer Lingus pilot Don Harkin lived nearby until he finally passed away last week at the age of 92.

http://www.ww2vetsproject.com/archives/79 (check out the audio)

What that link doesn't mention is that because he was Irish, he had to fly with the Poles which made for some interesting stories according to his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's a new toy to play with in T2. There's a flight simulator that's been installed airside,think it's a 737NG mock up cockpit with latest graphics. The graphics for DUB look fantastic and the guys were saying they plan to connect to the DUB network and show realtime aircraft on stand.

Not sure how well it'll do,i think it's €45 for 15 minutes and up to €220 for 90 minutes. Interesting idea to try though and i'm sure it'll appeal to some passing through.

IMG_20140605_083226.jpg

****Disclaimer,i've nothing to do with the company behind it,i only knew about it from working in T2.****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

*books a flight to Manchester to make use of this opportunity*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

You'll see most of us from Fr and Air Contractors up to keep our sim time up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

andy_g wrote: »
    You'll see most of us from Fr and Air Contractors up to keep our sim time up :P
    Imagine watching a pilot making a shambles of the sim, then heading towards your flight as your pilot.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

flazio wrote: »
    Imagine watching a pilot making a shambles of the sim, then heading towards your flight as your pilot.:cool:

Well i'd love to see that i'd find it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Indeed... It must be tempting for some pilots to give it a go the comedy value would be priceless... Make a right balls of it.. start arguing with each other outside the sim " but I thought you wanted to try it upside down before the real flight "and then off to gate 403 for the 509 to CDG.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I like :cool:

10369576_897030876977426_1832363307362576925_n.jpg

That's the European kit. I'd say their League kit would still say EADS til 2015 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I would've always thought it'll be Toulouse that Airbus would sponsor instead of Cardiff!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

True. But they've been sponsoring Cardiff for around 6 years now under their previous name 'EADS'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

(Reuters) - U.S. planemaker Boeing (BA.N) has disclosed an agreement with Iran to provide airplane parts, relaxing a three-decade freeze in ties as part of a broader package of sanctions relief.

The agreement sets out general terms and conditions for the "potential sale of certain goods and services related to the safety of flight," Boeing said in a regulatory filing.

It marks the first acknowledged dealings between U.S. aerospace companies and Iran since the 1979 U.S. hostage crisis led to sanctions that deepened during the decade-old international dispute over Iran's nuclear program.

Boeing said its agreement with state carrier Iran Air covered airplane parts, manuals, drawings, service bulletins, navigation charts and data.

Boeing has also opened discussions with Iran Air Tours, a subsidiary of Iran Air, for similar goods and services, it said.

This could mean that we will see their 747-100's flying for years to come :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    This could mean that we will see their 747-100's flying for years to come :)

Boeing finds a market for all those used B747's and B737 classic's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/family-of-nut-allergy-girl-are-removed-from-flight-30521385.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2729688/It-s-not-nut-free-airline-Family-four-year-old-girl-suffered-allergic-reaction-removed-flight-asking-cabin-crew-not-serve-cashews-board.html

Admittedly not the greatest sources here guys but what do you make of this? I don’t really understand the situation to be honest

The initial flight had to return to DUB when on the crossing from DUB to EWR, the girl had the allergic reaction

The airline accommodated them after this by bringing them on a “nut-free” flight to the states, good of them in fairness

Then on the return journey, when the family (Who were in business class apparently, not first class as the article would tell you, there is no first class on this route!) requested on the plane that no nuts be served, were then asked to get off the flight? Surely, the airline would have made the same accommodation of the second “nut free“ flight for the journey home? Or is it a case that the airline forgot about this and it was too late to disrupt normal service when they were on the plane?

Because the independent and DM are jumping on this, I want to assume this story is biased against United airlines btw..

Anyone ever try watch paint dry? Why not watch a webcam of an Icelandic volcano!

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Admittedly not the greatest sources here guys but what do you make of this? I don’t really understand the situation to be honest

The initial flight had to return to DUB when on the crossing from DUB to EWR, the girl had the allergic reaction. The airline accommodated them after this by bringing them on a “nut-free” flight to the states, good of them in fairness.

Surely, the airline would have made the same accommodation of the second “nut free“ flight for the journey home? Or is it a case that the airline forgot about this and it was too late to disrupt normal service when they were on the plane?..
    Sounds to me as if the logistics for the return journey were not in place. They were put up in a hotel and flown home the next day. So a small slip from the airline but they still provided good service to the family involved.

I have had this approx 10 years ago on a flight out of DUB. ALL chocolates (and confectionery that may have been made in a nut contaminated environment) were removed/not loaded in the catering supplies. Family boarded first and allowed to wipe down a block of 4 seats. Announcements made pre-boarding at the gate and again during boarding onboard as well as post take-off. Little boy on the day was hyper allergic to nuts and apparently adrenaline shot was not guaranteed to prevent death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »
    Sounds to me as if the logistics for the return journey were not in place. They were put up in a hotel and flown home the next day. So a small slip from the airline but they still provided good service to the family involved.

I have had this approx 10 years ago on a flight out of DUB. ALL chocolates (and confectionery that may have been made in a nut contaminated environment) were removed/not loaded in the catering supplies. Family boarded first and allowed to wipe down a block of 4 seats. Announcements made pre-boarding at the gate and again during boarding onboard as well as post take-off. Little boy on the day was hyper allergic to nuts and apparently adrenaline shot was not guaranteed to prevent death.

Have had this myself on a flight, must be terrible as a parent or even the person with the allergy to go through day in/day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I have to say it was either very brave or very stupid for the parents to continue their journey outbound. According to the article, the girl had a full blown anaphylactic reaction to the nuts that required adrenaline, diversion and a hospital admission, and despite the fact that it was the first time she had a reaction, they were happy to continue the next day. How did they have time to have her assessed for other potential allergies? Had they fully all of the potential contaminants that they needed to be wary of? Had they learned and been confident enough in how to use the epipen?
    I think United did a great job being able to accommodate them on the outbound flight the next day, and I assume the return may have gotten lost in the system, but they put them up and accommodated them the following day. I really don't see what the parents are complaining about. Now that they're home, I hope they spend a but more time learning about their child's life threatening illness and finding out how to best protect her.

Advertisement