Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Here, it's very easy to say " I'm supportive of WRC provided mainline improvements are a prerequisite".

Instead you seem to be making a very substantial effort to oppose it.

Facts remain are:

• Tuam is Galway's largest town and should be connected to rail

• A sub 40minute journey time to Galway city is possible which is faster than bus / car.

• Tourists like trains. Tourists bring in lots of money.

• Trains are greener than cars. People like trains. Not all train services in the world are financially viable.

Supportive or not like?

Think I already stated my position in the post you quoted when I said

Extend the WRC all you want, no issue with that, my point is the main line needs to be double tracked first as anything done after that will have a far greater usage rate because of the additional capacity.

Doing it the other way around makes zero sense unless the objective is to make rail a worse choice for a greater number of people

I have no argument with your points, my position is pretty clear, the main line should be double tracked to Athenry first, before WRC phase 2 happens otherwise there will be a decrease in the capacity on the main line so you'll end up with a crappier service all for what..... so the WRC phase 2 could open a few years earlier.

As an example, the WRC phase 1 has 5 services each way a day. Honestly, as a service between 2 of the biggest cities in the country, thats pretty crap. It should be a service every 30 mins and should only take 60 mins.

What should have been done was a new dual track line, with no level crossings, what we got was a single line with a stupid amount of level crossings which will impact line speeds for DECADES to come.

You need to be aspiring to better infrastructure

Where I discussed pax numbers was in relation to benefit to end users. 100 million spent on the main line will provide a better service to millions of people. 100 million spent on WRC phase 2 will provide a better service to maybe 50k people if you're lucky and will delay improvements to the main line.

As far as I can see there is no logical argument that can be made for prioritising a spend on the WRC phase 2 over the main line.

We'll have to wait and see, but my guess is the rail review will come to the same conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree 100% with improving the mainline first.

Double-tracking from GY to Athenry helps all users: current, future, Dublin, long-distance, commuters, everybody.

Here is my proposal, I welcome criticism:

• double-track, leaving provision for future elec
    • eliminate all LC - I think there are five? The Oranmore LC would be tricky.
    • new station at Roscam
    • new station at Renmore, Ballyloughnane road
    Post edited by Geuze on

But this is my point, no one here is suggesting we prioritise WRC phase 2 instead of mainline upgrades.

There is a fixation on this point, at the expense of proper discussion regarding WRC phase 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

To me, a proper discussion of train infrastructure requirements would place WRC phase 2 so far down the the priority list as to render any further discussion on it moot.

The only question is whether such a proper discussion would ever take place - after all we spent over 100 million building WRC phase 1, and yet we still have a bloody single track going all the way from Portarlington to Galway. Had a proper discussion taken place then, WRC phase 1 would never have been built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it likely would have been rebuilt and reopened at some stage.

there is absolutely merrit in having rail services between the smaller cities such as galway and limerick.

forget about single track between athlone and portarlington in the context of the WRC, as while it is clear that stretch of line needs doubling, it was not going to get done at that time regardless of whether the WRC reopened or not unfortunately.

same with double track between galway and athenry, reopening all the way to navan ETC.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It depends on what the goals were defined as.

Cater for most amount of passengers? Obviously mainline upgrades win out.

Cater for greatest region/area? WRC 1 makes sense, connecting 2 large regional cities and providing rail connectivity to Clare and south Galway.

Really though, if WRC1 hadn't happened, do you honestly believe that Galway to Athenry would be double tracked? I don't.

There has been a major policy change regarding funding for Public Transport versus Roads. The Greens under Eamon are driving this, but it is unlikely to change in future governments, due to the new, legally binding, Climate Act.

We can now expect numerous rail upgrades across the country to be prioritised, including dual tracking and extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

But the point being made is that these upgrades should be targeted at where the will have the greatest impact. Reopening old lines should be well down the list of priorities given the scale of investment the existing network requires. As was said, there is very limited capacity to accommodate new branches. WRC Phase 1 was a case of a headline grabbing reopening winning out over less glamorous but extremely beneficial upgrades to the mainline, this needs to be avoided in future investments.

So what, we ask a mod to close this pointless thread?

• Advertisement

This is what I was saying

Like take a look at the Navan line. They've been pushing for that for decades, for a town of 30k. Cabinet recently signed off on the plan to do it at a cost of 750 million and construction will not start until some time in the 2030's with a projected completion of 2036 (but we all know that will end up being in the 2040's).

The WRC phase 2 project will be a long way down any list that includes a reasoned cost-benefit-analysis.

I don't accept this argument that there is no capacity on the Athenry to Galway section. Tomorrow there is roughly one train every hour in each direction.

The passing loop at Oranmore should allow a major increase in trains up to every 10 to 15 minutes in each direction. Correct me if I'm wrong though?...

WRC trains could run Ennis to Tuam with connecting trains at Athenry. Higher capacity from Athenry to Galway could be achieved with longer trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand what you mean when you're telling me to be careful with the figures in the census. Can you explain it a different way, please?

I do however agree that the section of railway from Galway to Athenry should be double tracked. I even think it should be double tracked if the railway north of Athenry is never reopened.

I think if Galway-Athenry is double tracked, there should be local trains running only from Athenry to Galway, stopping at Oramore, every hour. Another thing that I think should be considered is building two new stations between Oranmore and Galway, one beside Ballyloughane Strand and another one at Roscam, and stopping the Athenry to Galway trains that I suggested in those new stations, so they would serve Athenry, Oranmore, Roscam, Ballyloughane and Galway. Then, I think these trains should be timetabled to depart Athenry for Galway just after trains from Limerick or Dublin have departed Athenry for Galway, and then the trains from Limerick and Dublin should continue to Galway non stop. This would allow people coming from the direction of Dublin or Limerick to quickly change trains to get to Oranmore, Roscam or Ballyloughane, and then it would speed up trains from Dublin and Limerick to Galway, as they'd no longer have to stop in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yes in terms of numbers and demand Navan would definitely have to be ahead of the WRC.

However there are years of CPO and planning hurdles to overcome for the Navan. WRC wouldn't have obstacles of that scale I presume? I'm open to correction on that.

As you say there's no comparison in terms of economics and population and economics but the other factors are coming into play, such as balanced regional development and the increasing requirements on the big employers in the west to reduce their carbon footprints. Its those firms that have brought about the planned new freight yard for Castlebar. Rosslare has also recently stated a desire to link up the line to Ballina and Castlebar.

Also regarding the less aappealing but unavoidable political side of things. Gerry Murray Sinn Fein was on the radio again today going on about the scaling back of the N17 plans. If Ryan doesn't follow through on confirming plans for the line to Claremorris he's really giving SF an open goal for the next election.

It could be interesting there regarding the N17. The government has to seriously commit to one of these projects for the West / North-West.

They can't renege or drag their heels on both projects. I think the WRC would have a better chance?...

I think so too. Would likely be the WRC over N17 the way it's looking, to Claremorris that is. Further North looks a long way off and possible never.

It's only the absolute WRC fundamentalists who are still going on about a line north of Claremorris. As posted further upthread, Eamon Ryan himself suggests Greenwaying the line north of Claremorris.

That just leaves the SF cranks like Gerry Murray who claim that are going to: build a couple of thousand houses a week, fix the health service, fully fund and build all the planned road infrastructure, fully fund and build all the planned rail infrastructure (and even some unplanned stuff) etc. etc.

It's industrial-scale lying as befits Fianna Fail Nua. I'd have more respect for them if they tempered expectactions even a little, but no, they're going for the full sun, moon and stars which will in the end only leave the electorate more cynical and less likley to vote when they fail to deliver.

The WRC north of Claremorris won't be happening regardless of what happens with the N17 north of there. The N17 south of Claremorris should see bypasses of Milltown and Ballindine regardless of WRC (CPOs in progress) which would leave it in good condition.

I don't see how the WRC and N17 could be linked, unless it was WRC south of Claremorris v N17 north of Knock which would make no sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ryan asked about the N17 upgrade from Sligo to Knock which has been mysteriously defunded and he starts on about him going to advocate for the WRC Phase 2 to open to get freight from Foynes and Rosslare to Ballina

There are two separate projects here along the same corridor. Of course they're linked. They are linked politically and optically.

The government have to commit to general investment in the North West region. Assuming a limited pot of money, WRC phase 2 (Athenry to Claremorris) is far more likely to get funding than N17 upgrades, IMHO.

• Advertisement

Also, apart from a 3km section between Miltown and Ballindine, the N17 between Tuam and Claremorris is a fairly decent road.

Miltown and Ballindine are tiny villages and I don't think they suffer from major traffic issues. They won't be bypassed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CPO for a realignment of that 3km section was done last year.

But a bigger question, if the rail line to Claremorris is to open again, surely a new road from Claremorris to Tuam would be a good idea given there are 4 level crossings along the route? And 2 villages to bypass

IIRC that bad section north of Milltown is currently out to tender. I don't think the tender includes a bypass of Milltown.

Once that bit is done, the N17 will be a decent road from Tuam to Curry (except for the section just south of Charlestown).

North of Curry though, it's a terrible and dangerous "National Primary Route", which town bypasses alone will not fix.

the level crossings could probably be sorted by bridges, the villages then bypassed if needs be.

"Probably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

If that was the case, how come there are still Level Crossings in Oranmore and Craughwell?

And if bridges are going to be built, what is that going to bring the total estimated cost up to?

there are still level crossings in Oranmore and Craughwell because funding has not been put forward to close them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The "Burma Road" is 47 miles from Claremorris to Collooney, with 48 level crossings....

If referring to reopening WRC to Claremorris and the N17 Knock - Collooney, these projects are not along the same corridor. There is about 25km between the nearest points of these projects. I don't think anyone would consider one as a replacement for the other.

I think very few would consider reopening WRC to Claremorris as invesment in the North West region. The North West region would generally be considered Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal and that project would do nothing for them.

Semantics. The point is it's strategic investment in major population centres, such as the Greater Dublin area, versus regional investment.

It's like saying a Metro to Tallaght is different to a Metro to Swords, therefore both projects deserve funding. That's simply not the reality.

Funding for regional investment is severely limited and the balance has majorly tipped towards rail and public transport.

• Advertisement

Good point. Didn't realise it would be as much as 4 crossings if the rail opened. That's a lot of potential N17 travel disruption without new bridges.

Post edited by Westernview on

Advertisement