Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Your

Y

I have no idea what you are saying here. Your overall point seems to that the government needs to be seen to be investing in the North West to pacify voters there. Reopening a rail line 90% in County Galway will not be seen as investment in the North West, especially not by people living in the North West who would gain no benefit from such an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

My "overall point" should have simply said "West-North West" region, not North-West. That's it.

My point stands whether you agree or not.

I think the number of people who would agree that a rail reopening in county Galway would be an adequate replacement for a road upgrade in county Sligo (the fact both extend a small distance into county Mayo is irrelevant given the distance between the parts in Mayo) would be tiny.

It certainly wouldn't be seen as acceptable to the people who live north of the N5 so the idea that the rail line would satisfy people's expectation of investment in their region is very flawed.

I doubt you'd find many to agree that your point stands.

I'm not saying one is a direct replacement for the other. The rest of the country is likely to see them as linked, as they are on the same Galway - Sligo corridor.

• There has been a massive shift from roads investment over to rail.

• Upgrades along the N2, N3 and N4 will benefit the North-West. The N17 is lower priority than these, unfortunately.

• There have been a few articles recently about lack of funding for N17 road upgrades.

• If the government are going to renege on N17 road, then funding for WRC is more likely, IMHO.

I hardly think it's a massively controversial point or opinion?!...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Westernview

In fairness to yourself and Pete_Cavan in a way you are both right. He is correctly saying that a railway to Claremorris isn't of any use to people in Sligo or Donegal as it's not available to them.

However your mention of thinking in terms of regional infrastructure does seem to be way Eamon Ryan is thinking right now. His radio piece suggests it in the way he responded to a question on the N17 northern end by talking about WRC as a better alternative. So he is looking at the transport budget overall and the 2:1 public transport/road investment ratio, rightly or wrongly.

As I said it's not much good to the people using the N17 to access the Northwest but that seems to be the approach now. Whether he can change projects like the N17 listed in the NDP and overcome political resistance to that remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

Your argument seems to be based on "but if they don't do this X they HAVE TO do Y.....because they HAVE TO"

Thing is, there is no pot of money for the area you are referring to which would allow for spending on one project or the other and this is not how project priority or funding is determined.

You're 100% entitled to your opinion and its not that one or the other project will or won't happen, its just very, VER, VERY, unlikely the WRC will ever happen because, well, it makes no sense when stacked up against other rail projects.

The funding of it bears no relation to the N17 project, if it did, then WRC phase 1 would absolutely never have happened given the spend on the M18.

WRC phase was justified by optimism and made up rider projections. What resulted was a terrible service on a crap line. We need to be aiming higher

Thanks!! You've put it very well.

Unfortunately with limited funding there has to be a fair and reasonable spread across different regions. Anyway, let's move on from N17 road versus WRC, it was just a passing thought.

WRC phase 1 was poorly executed with avg speed 60kmh, but this shouldn't be used as a bat to beat future upgrades. We can do better.

Due to the legally binding Climate Action plan, future governments will have to stick to the 2:1 Rail:Road policy, so I wouldn't write off WRC so easily.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Due to the legally binding Climate Action plan, future governments will have to stick to the 2:1 Rail:Road policy, so I wouldn't write off WRC so easily.

Anything legally binding can be legally unbound.

Re: road upgrades. Clearly the NW isn't a priority for Minister Ryan because in recent years he's defunded the N2 Ardee-Castleblayney road upgrade (singled out by TII for above average rates of head on collisions), the N2 Clontibret-NI border road upgrade (singled out by TII for above average rates of head on collisions), and the N4 Mullingar-Longford road upgrade (singled out by TII for above average rates of head on collisions). He also has suspended work on upgrades to the M3 and N4 approaches to Dublin which, if extra outbound lanes were added, would help traffic leave Dublin quicker and keep traffic on the motorways rather than through urban areas.

Anything legally binding can be legally unbound

The ship sailed on that with the Supreme Court ruling against the govt. In addition all political parties, without exception, 100% voted to approve the climate action legislation so there won't be any party looking to roll back which they can no longer do anyway unless they can show how rolling back will still allow us to reach emission reduction targets

Regarding the head on collisions, do you have a report link for that, would love to review it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Clearly, staying in office isn’t Eamon Ryan’s priority. I don’t expect the people of Sligo and North Mayo to forgive the greens for defunding the N17 upgrades at the next election.

I’m all for a greener future, but the Green Party will need to compromise on their principles a little in the near term to stay in power. They won’t be able to implement their solutions at all from opposition.

• Advertisement

Again, for I think the 4th time, I'm not.

I'm saying it's going to be wayyyy down the list of rail projects to receive funding.

Will it happen, probably. Will it happen before 2060, unlikely as there are decades of higher priority projects to get through first.

We're back to points earlier which you didn't respond to.

You mention dual tracking Athenry Galway as a necessity for WRC phase 2, however with the Oranmore upgrade, capacity on that section can be increased to one train every 10-15 minutes in each direction. Currently, there is one train every hour on that section. So a 4 fold increase.

With a 2:1 Rail:Road split, the only project that would benefit the W-NW is WRC phase 2. Castlebar, Westport, Ballina and Claremorris (4 largest towns in Mayo) as well as Tuam (largest town in Galway) will be connected to Galway city.

I believe it will receive higher priority than 2060.

There is no 2:1 Ra:Road policy, the Programme for Government committed to a 2:1 expenditure ratio between public transport and new road building. This is not legally binding (it is an agreement between political parties, governments regularly fail to deliver aspects of their PfG) and is not linked to the Climate Action Plan.

It doesn't necessarily help WRC, it is likely the ratio will be met as the government is building very few roads over the next couple of years and intend spending on BusConnects in multiple cities, new bus fleets, DART+, new heavy rail rolling stock, Metrolink, etc. It is also unlikely that the current government parties will make up the next government and the Green Party will likely have very limited influence (probably reduced TDs) so the ratio may not exist in 2 years.

My apologies, you're right, I saw your points but forgot to respond to them

You're right about the Oranmore passing loop. However its a passing loop only so would still involve services sitting and waiting for another train to pass. If you've travelled the Galway-Dublin line at all you'll know that happens at a too frequent basis already at Athenry and can result in waits of up to 20 mins or more. I had a 35 min wait on a recent service

Again, and no criticism towards yourself more a general comment about WRC support, but thats a low bar to be aiming for. Saying its ok for travelers to sit and wait is not going to encourage modal shift. A shortened journey time with reliable journey times, frequency and and expanded schedule is more likely to work.

The passing loop is 100% welcome however its a token piece of work. The double tracking needs to happen for the full length to Athenry (and beyond on the main line but thats for another thread).

With a 2:1 Rail:Road split, the only project that would benefit the W-NW is WRC phase 2. Castlebar, Westport, Ballina and Claremorris (4 largest towns in Mayo) as well as Tuam (largest town in Galway) will be connected to Galway city.

Whatever about WRC phase 2 going to Tuam or MAYBE Claremorris, there's zero chance of it going beyond that in our lifetimes. The figures just simply do not stack up when compared to other rail projects. I'd also argue that if you ask the folks in Castlebar, Westport, Ballina and Claremorris, where the investment should go, you would get an answer that says it should go into improving the existing services.

As an example, there's 5 services from Westport to Dublin a day, with a 3hr+ journey time, thats shockingly poor.

Looking at Westport to Galway, you're looking at a 1hr20min drive. No WRC2 train will come close to that and is likely to be double it and would involve 2 changes so depending on scheduling who knows how long the journey would take

I believe it will receive higher priority than 2060.

I mentioned it earlier, the Navan line. Thats been signed off by cabinet and isn't looking like it will open before 2040. As I mentioned, there's a lot higher priority rail projects than WRC 2, hence my 2060 estimate. I believe its a realistic estimate based on the facts at hand.

If you want rail investment in the region, by all means, shout for it, but shout for the investment that will make a real difference. WRC2 is not that investment, by any measure you choose to apply. WRC2 makes sense if you asses it based on emotion only.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@brianc89

Unfortunately with limited funding there has to be a fair and reasonable spread across different regions.

To avoid/reduce carbon fines we need to be spending where the greatest impact on mode shift will be had, not where hopes of political gain dictate.

Life ain't always empty.

With respect, I think you're being unfair / biased with some of your points.

Westport-Galway by rail - you're assuming it would require 2 changes and take up to 2hrs 40minutes. This is wholly unfair. Also, you say driving takes 1hr 20mins, but that's assuming no traffic. 1hr 40mins is more likely.

Direct Westport-Galway services could be launched. A journey time of 1hr 40mins is highly possible assuming no upgrades to current lines (WP to CB - 32mins actual, CB to AR - 50mins estimated, AR to GW - 18mins actual).

In general, I think we disagree, as I have more confidence Ireland has finally pulled the finger out. With a major step change in policy (2:1 PT:Road), I think it's inevitable that these projects will massively speed up.

Also, the Oranmore upgrade is just a passing loop, not even a platform???? That is mind boggling stupid. Seriously like 🫣🙈

The additional platform didn't come up in the discussion as it had no bearing. I was referring to it being a passing loop in terms of additional track

With a major step change in policy (2:1 PT:Road), I think it's inevitable that these projects will massively speed up.

100% and I'm looking forward to see much more PT development over the next few years. As you say, we disagree. You think WRC is a priority for investment, I don't as there is no logical basis for it to be when compared with the many, many other rail projects worthy of investment.

To be honest, we can go back and forth on this until the cows come home but the rail review will give the true indicator as to what is or is not a priority. Fingers crossed that'll get released soon but thats dependent on the Northern Ireland Assembly getting sorted and god knows when that will happen as long as the DUP have a veto

Yeah the Rail Review is really need ASAP. I have high hopes. Ireland managed to build most of the Motorway system in a decade, due to political will and funds. The same can happen with rail, especially with climate as an added motivator.

Just on Oranmore, I wasn't being smart, is there a new platform or just a passing loop!?

My bad, thought you were making a dig. Will edit to correct

Yes, there is a second platform being added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The addition of a 1km passing loop in Oranmore will allow 4tph in each direction, is that the case?

Might this mean more Gt to Athenry shuttles? Or more trains to Dublin and/or Limerick?

Is there enough stock for that?

Although the application for planning permission has not been submitted yet, there is some sort of surveying / prep work taking place near the station.

I was a bit wrong actually. I think it's 3tphpd. Current journey times are:

10-12mins Athenry to Oranmore and 6-7 mins Oranmore to Galway. However it takes an avg of 20mins. That implies a frequency of 1 train every 40 mins or 1.5tphpd.

If there is a loop at Oranmore, this could increase to 1 train every 20mins (using the 10mins above and assuming improved signalling etc.). This is equivalent to 3tphpd.

Current actual usage of the line is around 1tphpd, so an increase to 3tphpd would allow a massive increase in capacity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had posted some of this in the Dart+ infrastructure thread, but I'll include some of it here too, as I think it's pretty relevant. IR had a presentation a conference about electrification, and one of the slides they showed was this:

It's got their plans up until 2050. Obviously it's all subject to change but it makes no mention of the WRC at all.

Great piece of info, thanks for that.

Have to be honest, its depressingly unambitious in terms of timelines, 2040 for double tracking to Athenry. Given that there would be virtually no CPO's thats just ridiculous. I get that they would have to redo 3 rail bridges (Teagasc site, Derrydonnell & Renmore) so that would add to the cost and timelines but still, we're looking at 20 years of a wait for commuter rail

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't think that it's a lack of desire on their part, I think it's lack of capacity.

When you say capacity, do you mean capacity to get the work done i.e. only so many technical skills available for x projects, or do you mean line capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would hope that if the WRC ever reopened to Tuam and/or Claremorris, then all BE and Feda busses would feed their pax from Donegal and Sligo onto the train in Claremorris.

Having sister companies compete for traffic on same route doesn't help the economics of the railway.

That would make sense alright. It would make Claremorris something of a transport hub having a rail cross-roads near the N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Is there any rail service in the country where Bus Eireann curtail services to redirect passengers onto the train?

And as for Bus Feda? Expecting a private company to curtail their services and hand revenue over to a semi-state competitor is a complete pipe dream.

• Advertisement

Bus eireann is state owned so their routes could be easily adjusted as part of an overall transport strategy.

Private buses you mentioned may be less inclined but if trains into Galway got up and running in conjunction with congestion charges for private cars and buses they may change tack also.

Advertisement