Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Bullwall wrote: »
    Anything to do with the sire ?
    I sometimes see postings by Coolmore etc. If one of their sires win overseas .

Good thinking, yeah it was by Verrazano who Coolmore stand. The result has already disappeared from today's results section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Any early fancy for the Galway plate and Hurdle lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I see what you did there. I get jokes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Saudi sports officials are set to announce a new international race, designed to be the world's richest, at an event Aug. 7 press conference at Fasig-Tipton in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

"It will be the world's most valuable horse race and will be run in Riyadh on Feb. 29, 2020," said Harry Herbert, Saudi Cup Global Ambassador and longtime prominent figure in British racing.

While details were being held closely, speculation dating back more than a year has the race at 1 1/4 miles on the sandy track at King Abdulaziz Racecourse in Riyadh, scheduled between the Pegasus World Cup Invitational (G1) at Gulfstream Park in January and the Dubai World Cup Night at Meydan in late March.

When the idea first was floated in the spring of 2018, Saleh bin Ali Al-Hammadi, the director general of the Saudi Arabian Equestrian Club, was quoted by Arab News as saying the plan was to create the world's richest race, eclipsing the $16 million purse of the 2018 Pegasus.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/234910/saudis-plan-announcement-of-new-lucrative-race

It's a mad, mad, mad World....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Interesting read! :
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/irelands-long-lasting-love-affair-with-racing-festivals-941420.html

Seems like the Curragh were forgetting the man on the street even back then!!:pac:
    'On Tuesday, 13 October 1846, the first-ever Irish ‘Racing Special’ excursion train was run from Kingsbridge Station in Dublin to the newly-built Curragh Railway Station.

It was not an immediate success: that first train was only half-full as no third-class tickets were sold. This was righted by the time of the June 1847 meeting when a cheap third-class return was offered: the train was filled with 1,000 racegoers.'

Ah they were the good old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Slattsy was on that train

No wimmin allowed on my carriage, they had their own one, the last one. Brandy and cigars. Sting was there.

• Advertisement

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/bha-blasts-anti-whip-ads-on-london-buses-as-a-gimmick/394167

Racing Post congratulations on raising the profile of the previously non existent whip outrage on your front page a few months back. Take a bow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ooops.

How is the betting looking for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

It was 7/4 Siskin, 2/1 Arizona, 3/1 Monarch, 5/1 A'Ali, + the rest before the 48 hour decs.
    Havent seen an updated market yet. At a guess id imagine that it will be something like Siskin 4/7, Monarch 3/1, 9/2 Royal Lytham 6/1 Mount Fuji.

Toyed with the idea of backing Siskin yesterday and read that there would be a decent field so said i would hold off. Wish i took that 7/4 now.
    I see some saying that Monarch can get closer this time. Maybe so but jesus he has a lot of ground to make up.

I was hoping Siskin would be overpriced as Lyons is training him. Wonder if you'd get close to evens :)

Considering he pretty much has to do just the same as he did last I'd say absolutely no chance. They punted the ears off him the last day too. When prices opened the day before he was close enough in the betting to monarch of egpyt and he went off 4/5 or something.

Edit went off 4/6.
    I think the night before it was 7/4 the pair. Monarch went off 7/2

Well PP have priced it up 10/11, 2/1, 4/1

Can't be having that as per above. Full steam ahead

Today’s mail on Sunday names the people behind the 35 thoroughbreds found in a bad state in wexford few months back

BumperD wrote: »
    Today’s mail on Sunday names the people behind the 35 thoroughbreds found in a bad state in wexford few months back

Who is it Bumper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

15,000 attended the curragh this weekend for 3 days of racing or about 5,000 a day. You’d get a bigger crowd in Ballinrobe( and that’s no disrespect to that fine facility but the closest they will ever get to hosting a classic is if a vintage car parks in the car park)

Hopefully with the new facilities it will get bigger crowds in the years ahead . It deserves a better attendance

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/curragh-chief-pat-keogh-vows-to-make-changes-after-low-phoenix-stakes-turnout/394742

The Mig wrote: »
    Who is it Bumper?

Allegedly Denis Egan, classic thoroughbred, Michael Egan ( a barrister) and a Catherine o brien

abarkie wrote: »

The first step would be to acknowledge that the low attendance is not down to the Dublin horseshow being on. I actually passed by the facility while up the Curragh for something else in the last week , the stand looks very impressive compared to what was there before. Hopefully they get some attendees back.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/labour-unveils-plans-to-review-use-of-the-whip-in-new-animal-welfare-manifesto/397138

Can the collective overlords running our sport please come to a decision to rename the whip to a “persuader” or “ riding aid” or something else. The name “whip” implies an immediate association with pain eh whipping slaves back in the dark ages. The one used in our sport is air cushioned and does not hurt a ton horse in any way

Has Frankie ridden for Joseph before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/labour-unveils-plans-to-review-use-of-the-whip-in-new-animal-welfare-manifesto/397138

Can the collective overlords running our sport please come to a decision to rename the whip to a “persuader” or “ riding aid” or something else. The name “whip” implies an immediate association with pain eh whipping slaves back in the dark ages. The one used in our sport is air cushioned and does not hurt a ton horse in any way

A rose by any other name............

A shill and Troll paradise this place unreal

Maybe they should call it a "relaxing agent" to help a horse through a gruelling 3 mile slog on heavy ground in order to make certain he or she might not fall asleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

portrait-of-jeanne-hebuterne_u-l-e7ng20.jpg?h=550&w=550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

https://www.curragh.ie/index.php/tickets
    Free tickets to the Curragh....

maximo31 wrote: »
    https://www.curragh.ie/index.php/tickets
    Free tickets to the Curragh....

For U18’s ie children

For U18’s ie children
    Go to buy tickets and put in your quantity on the general admission. They’re free Bumper

The Mig wrote: »
    Go to buy tickets and put in your quantity on the general admission. They’re free Bumper

Holy crap I didn’t see that. Now that’s one way to boost attendance. I’m overseas so won’t benefit but will share link to friends back in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I notice bet365 have immediate visa withdraws . What other onlines site have this?

Luap wrote: »
    I notice bet365 have immediate visa withdraws . What other onlines site have this?
    What bank you with Luap? My withdraws with 365 are done via wire transfer. I use AIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I see the Queen had a filly running today called Eight Bells :rolleyes:
    Along with Golden Cygnet, I can see a trend here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Luap wrote: »

PP brought this in a month or 2 ago, very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Sorry if late internet acting up New Zealand -21 first half handicap an absolute cert lump on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Good documentary on TG4 about Paddy Merrigan's comeback to racing over the last two years and why he stopped as a very talented novice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Not sure best place for this

Cheltenham introduce a £1 charge for glasses this weekend and are only full to rim for a pint

So Guinness was £6 + £1 refundable deposit for the glass

You can only return a maximum of 6 glasses at various points at the site or put them in a charity recycling box ( didn't see the name of the charity)

Looked more charity boxes than places where you could get money back

Cheltenham introduce a £1 charge for glasses this weekend and are only full to rim for a pint

You can only return a maximum of 6 glasses at various points at the site or put them in a charity recycling box ( didn't see the name of the charity)

They are running out of ways to gouge their customers.

Anyone watching those Upping the Ante Racing post podcasts? Every week Lynch lad is offered an opportunity to aftertime on the week just gone , the lad is a plonker to continue to aftertime his insecurities are driving the need after losing his nuts . No one cares how much you lost Gavin so quit the after timing ffs like seriously grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

They are running out of ways to gouge their customers.

Easy, just make it a 5-day Festival!!

First time i saw this was at the Portugal Masters this year at the Victoria course in Vilamoura.

The heavy duty glasses were of a good quality and stamped Portugal Masters.I saw many people hang on to their glasses and there was were no glasses to be seen dumped at the outside catering stands in the tented village or at the ONeills bar and catering stand near the 12th green.

I saw no signs suggesting one could get money back on returning the glasses and but i saw lots of people hand in the glass when getting refills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

First time i saw this was at the Portugal Masters this year at the Victoria course in Vilamoura.

The heavy duty glasses were of a good quality and stamped Portugal Masters.I saw many people hang on to their glasses and there was were no glasses to be seen dumped at the outside catering stands in the tented village or at the ONeills bar and catering stand near the 12th green.

I saw no signs suggesting one could get money back on returning the glasses and but i saw lots of people hand in the glass when getting refills.

Most sporting events in Germany and Austria have this. Extra euro on your first purchase and you reuse the cup/glass for every drink afterwards. At the end you can go back to the seller and get the euro back or there is usually people collecting them for youth teams or fan displays at matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone watching those Upping the Ante Racing post podcasts? Every week Lynch lad is offered an opportunity to aftertime on the week just gone , the lad is a plonker to continue to aftertime his insecurities are driving the need after losing his nuts . No one cares how much you lost Gavin so quit the after timing ffs like seriously grow up

Ye I like the podcasts tbh, have watched them all last year and this year so far but agree on the "how was your betting" week nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Why do ppl get so angry about aftertiming

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Like those videos and don't think he is every really "aftertiming", always mentions what lost as well as what won from what I can remember. Seems a reasonable, realistic fellow.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Why do ppl get so angry about aftertiming

Agreed. BTW I had my biggest bet of the year on field of dreams at lingfield today Christmas and 2020 paid for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement