Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Where was this panic? I mean they scored a paltry 1-5 and the goal was scored after a couple of minutes (caused by a slip from Glynn who I thought recovered well and had a solid man marking game). I don't think Fla had a save to make after that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

Derry will be missing their talisman Shane mc Guigan at 14 after his second sending off in league with two yellows against Roscommon the last day. Question marks over it though as they may well appeal the second yellow he got as it looked like he was wrestled to the ground initially by a Roscommon defender. Result of that appeal will have a massive bearing on Sundays game. Would be huge blow to Derry was he not available to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Appeal wasn't successful so he misses this weekends crunch game against Galway.

The one match suspension was for what he said to the linesman (David Gough) when he left the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Will the Derry match be available to view?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Ref and linesman make a cock of it and are told that and everyone knows it, yet they decide to nail him on another offence brought about by their inability to do their job. I'd prefer he was playing against us, we need to play their full side and see where we are at.

• Advertisement

Concannon and Morrissey back in. Piece by piece.......

Shane starts. Sean Kelly on the bench. Seems to be a settled team. Not sure to many surprises on the 24th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Great to see them back, in terms of being competitive at the serious end this year Concannon is vital imo.

That's a serious full foward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

Bit of mind games by Joyce not naming Sean Kelly to start. Expect him to come in for Jack Glynn before throw in as if he's fit enough for bench he must surely start if what is a winner takes all game for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Any players to come back to the football squad that might have been injured? I can't think of anyone bar maybe Flynn? Is he on the panel still. Thinking on him we are very light at midfield. Would have hoped that lad from Moycullen would have made the step up from 20's, James McLoughlin I think his name was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Would be better for Galway with the championship around the corner not to be playing Derry without their best and main scorer. Verbal abuse to the ref,linesman or officals carries a one match ban according to the rule book and with the clear video evidence Derry was never going to get that suspension overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

I was hoping to see Fitzgerald get a go at full back to see how he gets on, obviously not fit enough yet but could come off the bench. Swap Jack Glynn for Sean Kelly and that’s 14 of our definite 15 to play Mayo, I still think there’s one forward position up for grabs, Gallagher needs a good game against Derry to make it his own, I wouldn’t think he’s a definite starter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭threeball

This is Galways only chance to play a team who might have held their own in division 1. Playing teams like Cork and Down has put a rosy hue on performances and is miles off what they'll face from any of the teams in the top 8. We'll be coming in cold against Mayo whilst they'll have 7 solid games behind them.

Playing a full strength Derry in whats effectively a playoff to reach division 1 is exactly what was needed. Playing an understrength Derry only prolongs the illusion.

Mayo have little to offer upfront, if we can stop their runners and running game they can be easily beaten. Best way to do that is to run at them and put them on the back foot. We are complete underdogs by the pundits. I think it's set up nicely for us v mayo.

They didn't have anything up front last year either but we didn't get a sniff against them in the second half in croke Park. Mayo will play with the same philosophy they've always employed, throw enough sh1t at a wall and some of it is bound to stick.

And it generally works, except against very organised defences. We have a defence you could drive a coach and 4 through. Offaly ran through us for fun. Cork and Down had plenty of joy and Clare got a goal running clean through us. If you think just running at Mayo is going to be the way to beat them I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

For a team with no forwards according to some galway supporters mayo have some record of going deep last 10 years . We have won one championship game in croke park since 2001 maybe we should get our own house in order before we look down on others . Just for the record too I don’t think mayo will be easily beaten by anybody … in fact it’s us that have being easily beaten when the pressure comes on for far too long now .

True, mayo have 0 to show since 2001 and so have we. We will get over the line when we get a chance, they can't , the same problem they have every year still exists poor forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Dessie and Sean Kelly in for Shane Walsh and Owen Gallagher. Strong breeze.

I'd prefer to see Gallagher in there somewhere myself , good linkman not afraid of the rough and tumble

• Advertisement

Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Slightly off the match topics but do pearse stadium still let kids out on the pitch at half time? Have a young lad who would be happy coming these cool spring days if we went out on the pitch a few mins at half time. I see Colm o Rourke mentioned today that Meath are encouraging it in navan any day they've a match on.

Listening to gbfm, have to be happy enough so far in Derry

If the league was the league, I'd agree.

But considering finishing bottom of D2 next year puts you out of the Championship it makes no sense to want to play harder games. We can worry about that kinda thing when we're in D1.

Too much jeopardy to be worrying about quality of games.

Granted we haven't been close to relegation in D2 in recent memory, if you started with two losses you're running close to missing out on the Championship proper.

There's no chance we finish bottom of D2 in the near future but kidding ourselves we're ready to take on D1 opposition in the championship is only masking the realities. I don't think we're one step further down the road than this time last year except for the fact some of our younger players are more experienced.

I disagree, I think there's a nice shape coming to this team and most division one teams would not like to meet us in the championship. I think we will easily survive in div 1 next year. We also seem to be managing games better. We might be lacking in the subs department but look to have a solid 15

We're plenty good to survive in division 1 and should never have got relegated in the first place but we're going to struggle against all division 1 teams with the way we set up.

Time will tell but I think D2 is giving us a false sense of development.

Scrappy second half but job well done before that.

Unlikely to see Comer (came off with a knock early second half) Sean Kelly (took a blow to the head, ref not overly impressed with Galway medical teams handling of the situation) Paul Conroy (suspension) next week against Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Avon8

I wasn't impressed with the last 3 performances, some very bright sparks aside. By all accounts they were absolutely brilliant today however and we should allow them credit for that. Derry hadnt conceded more than 12, or a goal thus far in the league and we stuck 4 past them.

Whatever about the frailties from our own kickout, this is the first season I've ever remembered Galway being able to press the opposition kick out. The only common denominator there I can see is Cian O'Neill. I'd imagine he's added a hell of a lot.

We can rest up for 2 weeks, give the D2 final a bit of a rattle and then focus on Mayo. The outlook for that game certainly looks a bit brighter than it did in January, defensive structures to work on notwithstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Congrats to the footballers. Can only beat what's in front of you and to have a 100% record with a game left is still impressive.

Hurlers just about worth the win today. Two man FF line was negated very well by Clare for the mostpart but Whelo took a couple of exceptional scores from tight angles. FB line really good in the second half bar the blip for the goal. Should be noted very little breeze in Salthill so was disappointed with some of Conor Cooney's efforts going well wide with 15 left.

Advertisement