Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMUNION MONEY

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

devlinio wrote: »
    To an 8 year old. It says more about her, as my parents have her daughter 50 the year before.
    Do you know what a 'gift' is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

IMO it depends on lots of things... how close you are / how much you can afford etc

For my Nieces / nephews on my sisters side (all kids same family) whom I'm very close to I give them €150 each for both communion and confirmation.. they are my nieces / nephews on my side.. plus they aren't' close to their other aunts / uncles on theirs dads side

for nieces / nephews on my other half's side who were aren't too close with we give €100 (again kids from same family) ...

so really between us we only have 6 nieces and nephew's

for all other kids its €20...

There is no rule / give what you can give that's it... nothing should be expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Wow, maybe that was all she felt you deserved....I can see why

To an 8 year old. It says more about her, as my parents have her daughter 50 the year before.

Maybe that’s all she could afford? Would you rather she went to the credit union to borrow money to put in your card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Maybe she felt you were spoilt and that was enough for you? Were you dressed in Hollister from head to toe or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

jlm29 wrote: »
    Maybe that’s all she could afford? Would you rather she went to the credit union to borrow money to put in your card?

I know my family. None of them are poor. This was pre boom, and everyone in my family was loaded. I'd rather get nothing. She was loaded.

She even sponsored me for a readathon back in school, and when I went to get the money (again a fiver), she said she never agreed to sponsor me.

My parents were shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm an SAHM. E50 for each will be a lot for me to give. I think I'll stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Gift = a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

It might speak volumes for what your aunt thinks of you! I have nieces and nephews who I'd give a fiver to as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Gift = a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

It might speak volumes for what your aunt thinks of you! I have nieces and nephews who I'd give a fiver to as well!

Again, this is to an 8-year-old. What could an 8-year-old possibly do to their aunt?

What in the name of jaysis would an 8 year old need so much money for?
    €50 in total would be more than enough, so if there's any amount of people giving money, then €10 is fine per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

A new prayer book or some religious bling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

oLoonatic wrote: »
    A new prayer book or some religious bling.

Ah here. What's any of that got to do with communion?

Again, this is to an 8-year-old. What could an 8-year-old possibly do to their aunt?

Maybe she thinks you are a little (use your imagination!)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

It'll be a great day when kids are no longer dragged through all this nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

At least 200, 50 was more so the 80's.

10fathoms wrote: »
    It'll be a great day when kids are no longer dragged through all this nonsense..

They don't have to be you know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

10fathoms wrote: »
    As long as people are willing to give €150 to a niece/nephew, the kids will want to do it. I would and so would you.

At least 200, 50 was more so the 80's.

Seriously?! :confused:

The best lesson a parent can teach their children is that religious ceremonies are for religious beliefs not money making ventures. If the family aren’t regular church goers, then they shouldn’t be receiving these sacraments.
    I only give €20 to close churchgoing relatives. Giving anything to a child who doesn’t attend church regularly is giving the wrong message.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

My niece will be making her communion next May (I honestly don't understand where the time went!!) and I've already told my sister I'll contribute to the cost of the meal out with the family and get my niece a small gift in lieu of money. I just think it's madness for children that age to have that much money, even if it's being looked after by their parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

My parent's give all their nieces and nephews €100 for all communions/confirmations. I think they're mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

€200 communion, €300 confirmation, €500 wedding. Anything under is a pure sign of poor. Oh yeah, don't come to my birthday without a hundred note in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Yourmama wrote: »
    €200 communion, €300 confirmation, €500 wedding. Anything under is a pure sign of poor. Oh yeah, don't come to my birthday without a hundred note in your pocket.

Are you Mr or Mrs Jones :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

My daughter is going to her friends Communion Party soon (I didn't know such a thing existed).

Is €10 in a card appropriate?

They play out on the road together and get on well but only know each other a few months. We aren't close to the family or anything, just exchange pleasantries and say hi etc.

ceekay74 wrote: »
    My daughter is going to her friends Communion Party soon (I didn't know such a thing existed).

They play out on the road together and get on well but only know each other a few months. We aren't close to the family or anything, just exchange pleasantries and say hi etc.

Yes I think so. I heard a neighbour before saying they were putting a tenner into a card. Personally I didn't for my neighbours kids.

My partner's godchild had their confirmation the other day, we put 50 in the card. We have a communion next week, all of the family are invited, we've budgeted 50 for that, but I might put 70/80.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

enzo roco wrote: »
    €10 is plenty.

Cant believe someone would give a 7year old €50 in a card. Doesnt matter if they are the uncle, aunt, grandparent whoever. It is too much for a child so young.

But its not about what is good or bad for the child - its a status symbol "Can't do less than X as Y will put in at least X"

Same shyte with Irish weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ceekay74 wrote: »

€10 is fine OP!
    That is what was given I got my Conformation from friends.
    We still had £ when I got my Communion.

Advertisement