Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMUNION MONEY

Options
  • 31-03-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Any idea what is going rate to give for Communion?..I want to put a few bob in a card for a communion gift but have no clue...:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

fioc wrote: »
    Any idea what is going rate to give for Communion?..I want to put a few bob in a card for a communion gift but have no clue...:cool:

Close friends €20 , family €50, .....your own child nothing as you'll be broke by the days end anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Close friends €20 , family €50, .....your own child nothing as you'll be broke by the days end anyway :(

For a neighbours child/classmate/ I see nothing wrong with €10.

€20 is a lot of money after all.

Lisha wrote: »
    For a neighbours child/classmate/ I see nothing wrong with €10.

€20 is a lot of money after all.

That's why I said close friends :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

10 or 20 for very close friends/relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

€10 is plenty.

Cant believe someone would give a 7year old €50 in a card. Doesnt matter if they are the uncle, aunt, grandparent whoever. It is too much for a child so young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

That's why I said close friends :)

Yes but they op didn't specify if they were very close or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Halfcrown, 10 bob if the're family.

My best friend's son is getting communion in may.
    I've told them both I won't be giving him any money.
    Probably won't even go to the ceremony.

Reason being that I'm not a hypocrite, parents are not religious, child doesn't go to mass. Was just christened because ' that's what you do'
    If I do send him anything it will be a prayer book & rosary beads. Because that's what communion is about, right?

bubblypop wrote: »
    My best friend's son is getting communion in may.
    I've told them both I won't be giving him any money.
    Probably won't even go to the ceremony.

Reason being that I'm not a hypocrite, parents are not religious, child doesn't go to mass. Was just christened because ' that's what you do'
    If I do send him anything it will be a prayer book & rosary beads. Because that's what communion is about, right?

Prayer book and rosary beads are normally gifts from godparents.

Prayer book and rosary beads are normally gifts from godparents.

Should be from everyone.
    I made my communion in England & there's no such thing as giving children loads of money for a religious ceremony.

• Advertisement

Should be from everyone.
    I made my communion in England & there's no such thing as giving children loads of money for a religious ceremony.

Good for you, no need to give money, buy if it's not for you don't give gifts normally given by godparents, that's all, make a donation to charity in the kids name perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Parents/god parents €100.
    Aunt/Uncle €50
    anyone else €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Agreeing with previous posts here. I'd say 20 squids for very close friends. 50 for family. In my case, my auntie/godmother gave me 100 all those years ago and the same with my granny, but that was very exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

For me,
    God childers : 50e
    Niece/nephew: 10/20e depending on how much I like them ;)

Good for you, no need to give money, buy if it's not for you don't give gifts normally given by godparents, that's all, make a donation to charity in the kids name perhaps

His godparents won't give rosary beads!!!! ( I know them)
    It's just money all the way!

Parents/god parents €100.
    Aunt/Uncle €50
    anyone else €20

OMG!
    I can't believe this is actually true!
    Tell me godparents wouldn't give 100 euro!

OMG!
    I can't believe this is actually true!
    Tell me godparents wouldn't give 100 euro!

That's what I got when I made mine. It's hardly that much tbf.

That's what I got when I made mine. It's hardly that much tbf.

What???
    It's hardly that much for a 7 year old??
    That's crazy.
    Won't be getting it from me.
    ( how exactly is it related to the religious ceremony?)

What???
    It's hardly that much for a 7 year old??
    That's crazy.
    Won't be getting it from me.
    ( how exactly is it related to the religious ceremony?)

People don't really make it for the religious aspect anymore. They make it for the day out, new clothes, and of course the money.

I made €500+ at mine in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nothing like a couple of hundred euro to help bribe a other child into the 'faith'

• Advertisement

People don't really make it for the religious aspect anymore. They make it for the day out, new clothes, and of course the money.

I made €500+ at mine in 2004

Exactly the problem.
    And why I won't take part.
    If you want your child to be religious/ take religious sacraments, then its a religious day.

This crap of making communion to make money? Muck. Feck off. You won't be getting my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Didn't take long for the anti-religion zealots to show up... Good work on the conversions guys. Keep it up.

I agree people are going a bit far with the money. My kids won't be making their first communion at 8 with the dresses etc, though they are baptised. I think it's too materialistic.

For friends children, we usually go for 10 euro. Family, including godchildren, 20 plus something like a cross and chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

There's nothing so vulgar as communion money. There's so many homeless shelters that could do with that money, instead we teach children to whore their beliefs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

, parents are not religious, child doesn't go to mass. Was just christened because ' that's what you do'

That will be most parents in Ireland, it's all about doing the "done thing" and next to nothing about Jesus and God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

bubblypop wrote:
    OMG! I can't believe this is actually true! Tell me godparents wouldn't give 100 euro!

No way! €50 max! If I have it to spare.

ectoraige wrote: »
    There's nothing so vulgar as communion money. There's so many homeless shelters that could do with that money, instead we teach children to whore their beliefs.

Get off your high horse. How much of your communion money did you donate?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Can everyone calm down a bit and have a civilised discussion please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Our son made his communion a few years ago - I can't understand why people do it just for the day out or for the money. I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly religious but I try to go to mass when I can. But I elected to have my son baptised and I agreed then to raise my son in the catholic faith so I'm trying my best. I think we were one of the few families that went to the preparation masses they had during the school year, I know many parents didn't attend any of them.
    Most people when giving a communion card put an amount of money in it, some were far more generous than they should have been. But what else do you give? The grannies got between them his prayer book and rosary beads. One person gave a lovely picture frame, another a plaque (little statue, not the dental version!), and one person gave a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

My youngest brother made 1200 euro in 2011 from neighbours, friends and extremely kind god parents. He insisted on buying take away Chinese for the close family and god parentds , what he doesnt know is that my dad put the money back into his credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Get off your high horse. How much of your communion money did you donate?

I don't have a horse, thanks for your concern. I probably donated two or three pounds, indirectly. I bought myself a glow-in-the-dark crucifix from the Carmelites on Whitefriar St. who operated a soup kitchen for the homeless back then. I think the rest was spent on Action Force figures.

The problem isn't what the seven-year-olds do with the money they are given, the problem is with the grown adults who deem it a good idea to give so much money to seven-year-old children.

When I made my communion, it was not expected that there would be financial reward from it, it was expected that I would grow spiritually through receipt of the sacrament.

I did receive some money from my granny and I think two aunts, but this wasn't expected as part of making my communion and certainly nobody was anxious over what the appropriate amount of cash to give a seven-year-old child. Of all the children I've known making their communion in the last few years, I can only think of two whose parents even go to mass, and they wouldn't even go weekly. I doubt any of them attend confession at all. It is hypocrisy of the highest order.

When my godson was baptised, I made a donation through Cool Earth as a gift, I shall do the same should he be forced through the other sacraments.

Advertisement