Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revocation of citizenship acquired through naturalisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Equally Australia has openly deported ‘underlsirables’ and criminals back to
    their original country
    fact check on that:
    Many Australian citizens are not aware that they can lose their Australian citizenship.

You can lose your Australian citizenship in the circumstances set out below.

Renounce your citizenship voluntarily

You can lose Australian citizenship if you take steps to renounce it.

You may decide to do this because you are a citizen of another country, or you are entitled to become a citizen of another country. There is a detailed process that you must follow.

Australia is a signatory to the relevant United Nations Convention, so our Government will not approve your application to renounce your Australian citizenship unless you provide evidence that you are a citizen of another country or you will acquire the citizenship of another country.

Dual citizens will have citizenship renounced through certain conduct

In 2015 a further category of renunciation of citizenship was introduced. If a person is a dual citizen and engages in certain kinds of conduct that is considered to be inconsistent with allegiance to Australia, they are taken to have renounced their Australian citizenship, and will cease to be an Australian citizen.

This will happen regardless of how the person became an Australian citizen (ie including if they became an Australian citizen on birth).

The Minister for Immigration will give notice that they have ceased to be an Australian citizen. The person affected may seek a review in the Federal Court or High Court. In certain situations, the Minister may exempt a person from cessation of citizenship.

This loss of citizenship applies to people aged 14 years or older.

Examples of conduct that will lead to cessation of citizenship in this way are:

engaging in terrorist activities in Australia or overseas;
    financing terrorist activities;
    serving in the armed forces of a country at war with Australia or fighting for or in the service of a declared terrorist organisation outside Australia.
    There is no requirement for conviction by a court.

Acquired another citizenship

Before 4 April 2002, Australian citizens who became citizens of another country lost their Australian citizenship automatically. Since that date Australian citizens who become citizens of another country may in some circumstances become dual citizens.

Citizenship revoked

A person will lose Australian citizenship if it is revoked. The Minister may revoke Australian citizenship following certain convictions or actions, unless the person is an Australian citizen by birth, or the person is conferred citizenship and it would not go against the public interest for that person to remain an Australian citizen.

The following are the relevant convictions or actions that the Minister may act on:

The person is convicted of making a false statement or false representation or producing a false document in relation to their application to become an Australian citizen.

The person became an Australian citizen as a result of migration-related fraud.
    The person became an Australian citizen as a result of third-party fraud (for example, fraudulent conduct by a migration agent in the citizenship application).

The person was convicted of a serious criminal offence at any time before becoming a citizen that carries a prison sentence of 12 months or more.
    If a person is a dual citizen and is convicted of certain crimes (terrorism related) for which they are sentenced to at least six years in prison, and the Minister considers that the person has demonstrated that they have repudiated their allegiance to Australia, the Minister can revoke their citizenship. They will be deported on release from prison.

https://brettslater.com/when-can-you-lose-your-australian-citizenship/

This doesn't cover rape unless it were to happen prior to gaining citizenship.

On my phone so can’t easily search the page, but does it explicitly say that failure to observe the laws can result in revocation?

It does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Overheal wrote: »
    That jeopardizes Ireland's treaties with other nations where Irish enjoy dual citizenship status, I would think.

So be it ,

I'm sure other's would quickly follow suit , citizenships should be earned not handed out for anyone who decides they want to be Irish or other nationalities ,

Bring several thousand jobs , create enterprise , provide years of unblemished service in healthcare , science , education then possibly qualify for honorary citizenship .

honorary is the keyword .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Society either condones the cost of enforcing its criminal justice, or it doesn't. Saving some money to create a 2nd class of citizen seems reckless. I'm sure some heads would be rolling and conniptions would be had if an Irish ex-patriot who was convicted of child molestation was sent back to Ireland for you to deal with in an identical manner.

I dont think the Irish Right embraced rapist Fr Oliver Grady when he was deported here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Does raping a 73 year old incapacitated woman count as a failure in your duty of fidelity to the nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bigger question is why asylum seekers would be given permanent citizenship.

Should be only limited, reviewed every 5 years for criminal convictions or no intention of finding a job.

You're talking about permanent residency.

Citizenship is not a toy to be given and taken away again when the child is bold. You only issue it if the person deserves, and they have it until they renounce it.

I do think there's space for some very serious crimes to be considered renouncing it. But several international laws prevent making a person stateless.

Does raping a 73 year old incapacitated woman count as a failure in your duty of fidelity to the nation?

That depends on your jurisprudence on the phrase. I found this:

https://www.mondaq.com/ireland/crime/175990/court-takes-into-account-duty-of-fidelity-to-the-nation-and-loyalty-to-the-state-in-a-time-of-fiscal-emergency-when-imposing-sentence

FWIW I don't think it's applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It does not.

So we will need a referendum. Will get on to my local TDs in the morning to set the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

On my phone so can’t easily search the page, but does it explicitly say that failure to observe the laws can result in revocation?

No, unfortunately. A case for the high court, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Odhinn wrote: »
    No, unfortunately. A case for the high court, I'd imagine.

Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Creating 2nd classes of citizens? Requiring additional oversight and regulatory costs?

You're right, they shouldn't be granted citizenship at all.

Sand wrote: »
    You're right, they shouldn't be granted citizenship at all.

Considering we take the assumption he was naturalized, gained citizenship, before this crime occurred - on what grounds would you have terminated his application for citizenship?

Considering we take the assumption he was naturalized, gained citizenship, before this crime occurred - on what grounds would you have terminated his application for citizenship?

Irish citizenship is a privilege, not a right. So its not for me to prove why it should not be granted to anyone who manages to reach our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Pity.

As he would have been an adult when he received citizenship (and that of course presumes that he did in fact get citizenship) I've no problem seeing him fucked out on his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wouldn't be the first time ,we granted asylum a few years back to violent rapist who attacked a student only a few weeks after arriving here on a student visa and applied for asylum while on trial for said rape which be was convicted but he's still here.

This case should bring further investigations to make sure there isn't historical abuse in other places he worked

So we will need a referendum. Will get on to my local TDs in the morning to set the ball rolling.

If it was that simple we'd have a referendum once a month. Almost 40 amendments in 80 years is high enough as it is, while the Constitution is and should be a living, breathing document, amendments should still be reasonably well spaced out as society develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a general note, how easy or difficult is it for immigrants to obtain Irish citizenship. Sorry I know I could look it up, but someone might save me the drudgery of research.

As a pp said citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

Long term visas to be renewed every few years, visa revoked if the law is broken like this animal did. Easier to do that than try to revoke citizenship.

Before anyone lights on me for being xenophobic, I don't care. We will now have to support the wife and kids since this earner is off the scene, and when he is eventually released he will be unemployable, so guess what, yup, more social supports.

I do realise that native Irish have committed heinous crimes and are supported by the State, but do we really need to import them anymore? Is it a Government plan to have the State full of immigrants, asylum seekers or what?

Irish citizenship is a privilege, not a right. So its not for me to prove why it should not be granted to anyone who manages to reach our shores.

That doesn't really answer my question, and rather it dodges addressing the problem here: when this man would have (we assume) applied for naturalization, why would you have blocked him, having no notion that years from now he might commit an egregious crime? All he is, during the naturalization process, is a Nigerian national who's lived in Ireland long enough to apply, and has bonafides as a healthcare assistant.

sdanseo wrote: »
    If it was that simple we'd have a referendum once a month. Almost 40 amendments in 80 years is high enough as it is, while the Constitution is and should be a living, breathing document, amendments should still be reasonably well spaced out as society develops.

I don't think there should be any limit on that, I mean as far as Ireland goes you are a Republic but referendums are a democratic exercise and I don't see the problem with them on matters of social and cultural sensibility. US states include propositions and statewide amendments, countwide and districtwide amendments on ballots frequently, almost for every vote whether midterm, primary or general or otherwise.

That doesn't really answer my question, and rather it dodges addressing the problem here: when this man would have (we assume) applied for naturalization, why would you have blocked him, having no notion that years from now he might commit an egregious crime? All he is, during the naturalization process, is a Nigerian national who's lived in Ireland long enough to apply, and has bonafides as a healthcare assistant.

Your question is not the problem. The problem here is that the Irish state imported this individual into the country and this person committed a horrendous violation of an Irish person. The state failed their duty of care to that Irish person.

If you don't see that as the core problem, then we might as well be speaking different languages.

• Advertisement

I think it is a great idea. It happened to three of the Rochdale child abusers. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rochdale-paedophile-ring-trio-stripped-13049283

You have to chuckle at child abusers claiming deportation denied them of their rights to a family life. ***** shouldn’t be anywhere near children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

On the topic of race in prison, I am really clueless so I did some digging and I was quick shocked. There disportionate racial make up in prisons for a long time. In 2008 there was 750 out of a total of 10,900. This seems massively over representative. It seems to gotten more equal in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm trying to place myself in the shoes of someone who becomes a citizen of another country and then goes on to commit a hideous crime. I can't really see myself feeling hard done by if my acquired citizenship was then revoked. I'd still have my original citizenship so its not like i'd be stateless.

Your question is not the problem. The problem here is that the Irish state imported this individual into the country and this person committed a horrendous violation of an Irish person. The state failed their duty of care to that Irish person.

If you don't see that as the core problem, then we might as well be speaking different languages.

Well, that requires actually demonstrating they failed their duty. That’s a bit like saying the state failed it’s duty to educate young people on the dangers of drugs or drink driving, I would think: effectively rhetorical failure and not a criminal neglect.

You’d really have to find evidence that the state lapses in its duties when it approved someone’s nationalization (which again is only hypothetical in this particular case, he could be naturalized he could not be at all); the bigger core issue would be are you worried the state will reasonably naturalize heinous pre-criminals, and so how to you change the law to prevent that. If a naturalized citizen in this case didn’t lie on their application, had no priors, and years later committed a crime, however heinous, I don’t see how the state was criminally negligent in its duties.

I don't think there should be any limit on that, I mean as far as Ireland goes you are a Republic but referendums are a democratic exercise and I don't see the problem with them on matters of social and cultural sensibility. US states include propositions and statewide amendments, countwide and districtwide amendments on ballots frequently, almost for every vote whether midterm, primary or general or otherwise.

Agree in principle, but there has to be a sensible restraint on it also.

The US system has its merits and the autonomy granted to local government is much greater than here including a lot of executive power. There are downsides to that too, not least the cost of it.
    Overall I do think we need to empower local government a bit more.

On citizenship, the bar to attain it should be very high. I don't think 5 years managing not to break any laws (or in some cases, not even that) should be enough. There should have to be a process through which one can exemplify a contribution to the national interest.

I have no objection to permanent residency for anyone who is paying taxes and not taking a job or benefit which could otherwise be readily filled by an Irish citizen. The US make this very restrictive, though I get that it is open to abuse if employers can make these declarations lightly. Again a balanced approach is I believe one we should employ.

There was an RTÉ article today (of course, totally biased in favour of mass immigration, but that's a whooolllle different thread) which showed a young fella celebrating Eid in croker. Cork accent, hurl under arm, festooned in O'Neills sportswear and joking about the craic. That's integration. Hand him a passport.

Absolutely if you commit murder, rape child abuse etc you should be stripped of your citizenship and expelled. Why would anyone object to this?

Morally, no one. But it is illegal under international law to revoke a citizenship if it would leave the person with no citizenship.

(for example, some citizenships require that you denounce them when you take Irish citizenship)

They have to be locked up somewhere.

Morally, no one. But it is illegal under international law to revoke a citizenship if it would leave the person with no citizenship.

(for example, some citizenships require that you denounce them when you take Irish citizenship)

I'd imagine there are plenty of 3rd world nations who would happily take the money the Irish State spends on a single prisoner, and house them in their own prisons.

There’s also the issue that the country on the receiving end has to accept the deportee. Other countries are not obliged to accept them, or extensibly to grant visas to Irish or honor extradition requests. Start just unilaterally dropping off convicts on some country’s border and you will quickly see diplomacy and trade with that country, and other countries, fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't know the background of this individual, but you seem to suggest he was a refugee. If he wasn't, then the state had nothing to do with it as it's possible to move to the country and look for work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

All citizens should be equally treated by the law so I would be against this idea (what is suggested in the OP would effectively create second class citizens).

If there are issues with too many naturalised citizens causing trouble, to me the solution would rather be to be more selective with who’s getting citizenship (as a matter of fact, I happen to think the current naturalisation process is indeed too lenient).

Also, not every naturalised citizen will have a second citizenship (some countries don’t allow it, so they would lose their other citizenship once they become Irish).

I don’t think creating stateless individuals is something Ireland would consider; so for those types of naturalised citizens the idea is a non-starter anyway. And you allow if for others, they you are even creating two classes of naturalised citizens and aren’t even sure you can take citizenship away from all the ones you’re want to go after.

TLDR: let’s be more serious about what granting citizenship means and more demanding with applicants; keeping in mind that once someone becomes Irish they are joining the nation and we will stick with them like with any other citizen.

Advertisement