Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-08-2020, 23:19   #1
AllForIt

Woke-ism of the day

I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !

Last edited by Necro; Yesterday at 21:38.
Advertisement
31-08-2020, 23:26   #3
Kylta

.(!!!).."!!!".
(2) thanks from:
31-08-2020, 23:28   #4
Your Face

Current Affairs/IMHO
31-08-2020, 23:35   #5
Goodshape

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllForIt View Post
IFull Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.
Oh that one's not so bad. I briefly skimmed the article and I don't think it's claiming offense? Just that it can be intimidating in a text message. That's true. I like it. The intimidating full-stop is a useful tool.

"fine"

vs

"fine."

You're in the ****-house if you're reading the second option and you know it.
Advertisement
31-08-2020, 23:36   #6
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !
You are more annoying that any wokism.
31-08-2020, 23:38   #7
nudain

Go wacky yourself off for a bit.
(3) thanks from:
01-09-2020, 00:03   #9
DubInMeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
Current Affairs/IMHO
No just bullsh1t as usual about being offended about other people being offended.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-09-2020, 00:12   #10
AllForIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudain View Post
Go wacky yourself off for a bit.
Can't do that anymore. It's offensive to potential people.
05-09-2020, 00:23   #11
AllForIt

https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...stick%20figure.

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

(4) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 00:28   #12
DubInMeath

Quote:

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

Only in your head
05-09-2020, 00:30   #13
Birneybau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
Current Affairs/IMHO
We can see through his crap over there
05-09-2020, 00:32   #14
Birneybau

Quote:

Mumbai isn't a country, galaxy brain
05-09-2020, 00:47   #15
AllForIt

I sense a very strong acceptance of Woke ideas around there. That's fine. Won't stop me ridiculing them though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion