Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fidelma Healy Eames' train ticket scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

How dare the gardai siocholonis impound FHEs Merc, Did they not know who she is? and how important she is? My God, the press releases must have been piling up in her office while the poor senator was left high and dry (or maybe not considering the Summer we've been having).

Its not on I tell you Joe, its just not on. I really think its plumbing the depths, all this bad press lately. Sure she has a hard oul station (Athenry I think). Anyone who knows her would agree that she is a ticket.

We need FHE to protect us from the video games and the dogging. Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh I feel myself keeling over from dvt - better add spending too long on boards to that list also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If this was any other country, Fiddles would be announcing her resignation about now.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

JustMary wrote: »
    If this was any other country, Fiddles would be announcing her resignation about now.

Fiddles.... did you ever see a more fitting nickname :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did i just hear another story about thise senator on the radio? About a garage that was built as a 2 story even though planing stated a 1 story!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

bluecode wrote: »
    A cynic might suggest that that these little events suggest a pattern. Caught without car tax, caught on the train without a ticket. NOT Paying tradesmen.

FYP.
    It's a wonder she didn't use the excuse that she had ignored the rules by driving without tax for months previously so she assumed she could do it again and pay on the spot if she got caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OOPS, WE BUILT A HUGE GARAGE BY MISTAKE!
    Daily Mail gives FHE the front page treatment she craves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So she was intending to sell the car, and did not tax it. Is she for real? I'm planning on selling mine too - sometime in the distant future. D'ya see where I'm going with this Fidelma?
    yeah you would at least give a prospective buyer a months tax to get him/her home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

baldbear wrote: »
    Did i just hear another story about thise senator on the radio? About a garage that was built as a 2 story even though planing stated a 1 story!!!

Yep.
    She states that while they were away there was a mix-up involving other people regarding the set of plans for the garage and only on their return did her family realise the wrong garage had been built.
    “It was two storey instead of single storey.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/53984/ive-been-left-reeling-by-tsunami-of-events-says-healy-eames-after-car-tax-revelation

You stay classy FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

snubbleste wrote: »
    [COLOR="Purple"]OOPS, WE BUILT A HUGE GARAGE BY MISTAKE![/COLOR]
    Daily Mail gives FHE the front page treatment she craves.
    That's where she can park up all her untaxed cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

JustMary wrote: »

nice one! "fiddles" :D:D

• Advertisement

FHE should consider her position and failing that, then Enda Kenny should consider it for her. This woman seems to lurch from one crisis to the next. Her behaviour at the count centre last time out was nothing short of dishonourable.

Then she was planning to sell the car and "neglected" to tax it? Does she think we all came down in the last shower?

The judge ordered the husband to pay the plumber.

She hops on a train without a ticket. Did it not occur to her to immediately seek out a member of Irish rail staff the minute she got on the train and offer to pay for the ticket?

Do these people not believe in paying for anything?

Unbelievable!

No point bleating about it here.
    Put the questions to her yourself http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

This woman can't even buy a train ticket, update a tax disc, pay the plumber or control what gets built in her own garden. Yet she is supposed to be a national legislator. What a joke. Fine gael is full of clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

fago wrote: »
    To add to the conspiracy, one thing I noticed on the google streetview image of the unplastered garage is that a head was built into the gable.

From experience the only time this is done is when at a later stage a window is going to be retrospectively added, to get around planning permission. Putting the head in makes it easy to cut out the window later.

I must check if there is a window there when passing that way.

If it is the case then the garage was always built with the view to converting it.

https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.239293,-8.94683&spn=0.000013,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.23929,-8.946738&panoid=uo7_pVK7asYVQdmsMAzl9Q&cbp=12,330.26,,0,0

That garage story is ridiculous! :confused:

If she knocks that window though she'll have the garage she initially applied for but was rejected because "A two storey garage is not acceptable for a domestic garage in a rural area with a Landscape Sensitivity Class 3 designation.";

garage.jpg

How can the builders have "accidentally" been using the initial plans for the two-storey by mistake and made provisions for a window yet bricked up that space instead. It's clearly to aid it through the retention stage, and to convert later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Bigger question is how did she get retention if it was 'not acceptable'. Its still all who you know / are in Ireland, especially in planning.

It's common practice in Ireland to apply for permission for x, proceed to build x+y, then apply for retention for y, which is usually granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,342 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »
    Trouble with the train........ trouble with the car.......... tune in tomorrow to see what mode of transportation Fidelma uses to attend the opening of an envelope.
    Same <snip, no need for that> channel

Hot Air Balloon to the Seanad in future. She'll have no bother filling it.

She sounds like she has the perfect experience to be a member of Fianna Fáil :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

According to the Galway Advertiser on Facebook...

"Enda Kenny has slammed Senator Fidelma Healy Eames for not paying her car tax. He was speaking about the matter at the opening of a new company in Westport."

No further details about it though.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's common practice in Ireland to apply for permission for x, proceed to build x+y, then apply for retention for y, which is usually granted.

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, what a farce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The planning permission story came from Boards. Here.

The planner recommended that the retention of the garage be disallowed.

The planner was over ruled by someone more senior and retention was granted.

However the 2007 permission explictly told her NOT to build a 2 storey garage..in Condition Number 4 on the C3 form.

It is further noteworthy that:

1. She did not apply for retention untilThe Garage structure was already built for 3 years.
    2. Galway county council did not enforce the original planning breach during that time.
    3. Retention was not sought until she was a member of a government party not of an opposition party.

scholar007 wrote: »
    She sounds like she has the perfect experience to be a member of Fianna Fáil :pac:

Fine Gael are more corrupt and incompetent than Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Canvasser wrote: »

Nope not a chance of that.

I think we need a day-trip out to investigate this marvellous garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

J o e wrote: »
    According to the Galway Advertiser on Facebook...

"Enda Kenny has slammed Senator Fidelma Healy Eames for not paying her car tax. He was speaking about the matter at the opening of a new company in Westport."

No further details about it though.

Heard it was a body slam.......... followed by a piledriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Don't want to pull this off topic but can I ask one slightly related question? My car is taxed until the end of the month, but I lost my tax disc (don't ask! :p). Only a few weeks until I get new one so won't bother replacing it.

I've the receipt in the glovebox showing that my tax is paid until the end of August, would that be good enough for a garda? Or would it depend on his mood on the day? I think technically you can get points/fine for not displaying the disc but has anyone any experience of this?

You can PM me if you don't want to pull thread off topic!

Fine Gael are definitely up there with Fianna Fáil in the incompetence stakes with this beaut in their ranks, thats for sure.

I think you would be fine because you have the receipt and it should also be on record. The Gardai Siocholonis only get peeved when you "neglect" to pay your car tax but clearly you haven't so you should be ok.

I think you would be fine because you have the receipt and it should also be on record. The Gardai Siocholonis only get peeved when you "neglect" to pay your car tax but clearly you haven't so you should be ok.

But he would leave himself open to parking tickets too. He can get a duplicate or a stamped note from the tax-office to display on his window in lieu of a disc i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Padkir wrote: »
    Don't want to pull this off topic but can I ask one slightly related question? My car is taxed until the end of the month, but I lost my tax disc (don't ask! :p). Only a few weeks until I get new one so won't bother replacing it.
    How is it you are driving around if you are not familiar with the ROTR? Learner's permit?

"Failure by driver to have tax disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle." €60 fine, €90 if not paid within 30 days. (ROTR page 200)

mathepac wrote: »
    How is it you are driving around if you are not familiar with the ROTR? Learner's permit?

"Failure by driver to have tax disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle." €60 fine, €90 if not paid within 30 days. (ROTR page 200)

He lost it. Simple. Not a hanging offence. If he reports it it should be ok. It is paid. Page 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Sappa wrote: »
    Nope not a chance of that.

the certainly are, just havent uncovered as much because they simply havent been in power for long enough!

wait and see..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Canvasser wrote: »

So your saying Fianna Fail are Corrupt and incompetent but to a lesser extent than Fianna Gael ?

Why do you support Fianna Fail so ?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

The BBC has started to report on the good Fidelma. I believe this is the first time her self publicity ...which is exactly what the interview with the advertiser was after all ...ever went global.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19110946
    Officers seized her car during rush hour traffic last month.

In a statement on Friday, Ms Healy Eames said: "On 2 July I was stopped by gardai in Galway city and found not to have a valid tax disc. This was due to an oversight on my part.

"I was completely in the wrong. The car is now taxed. I wish to apologise to the gardai and the public."

The former primary school teacher and college lecturer was first elected to Seanad Eireann (the Irish Senate) in July, 2007.

She is the current Fine Gael spokesperson for education and science.

On her personal website, she lists "campaigning for immediate solutions to Galway city's traffic problems" among causes that she has supported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Page 6.
    Yeah right. :rolleyes:

My main concern is he'll be joining Fiddles on Pages 1 & 5 of the Galway Advertiser, the pages of shame. "Ocone a maicin, you're destroyed, destroyed I say. The shame of the Claddagh you'll be, and hanged from the Spanish Arch."

I went off on de holliers like ya do and before I went I asked a young fella to build a kennel for Fido but when I came back, instead of a kennel there was this - Yer man said it was ok, that I just needed to apply for retention and I would be grand. He said that Fido would love it.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/taj-mahal.html

Fidelma is in with shot of being the most famous galway person alive & possibly ever *L*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

well she is keeping THE DAILY MAIL busey, her mugg was in it again.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

FHE is keeping us in amusement anyway. Good thing I paid my tax, but next time I know someone selling ill let them know that its possible to "forget" your tax durin that time

just wonderin Biko should all the FHE stuff be combined into the tales of FHE thread, its awful confusing with all the mess ups that are happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm kind of sorry she didn't get herself recounted into the Dail now. All the memories of Charlie and Bertie would have been forgotten about if these stories came up about her as a TD.

The collateral damage would have been much higher were she a TD. We should always remember that Fidelma has brought something "<url= http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/37487/healy-eames-political-career-not-dead-in-the-water-says-fg-officer> NEW AND DIFFERENT</url>" to Galway West.....as FG THEMSELVES said of her. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The BBC has started to report on the good Fidelma. I believe this is the first time her self publicity ...which is exactly what the interview with the advertiser was after all ...ever went global.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19110946

She lists "campaigning for immediate solutions to Galway city's traffic problems" among causes that she has supported.

One less car... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

It seems she didn't just offer up the story, local and national media were tipped off:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27100-senator-apologises-not-paying-motor-tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. Are Garda checkpoints usual at that particular point, especially at busy times?

2. Who tipped off the media?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/court-orders-fg-senators-husband-to-pay-plumber-3180642.html

Has the Oranmore Boardroom for Fine Gael overtaken the Fianna Fáil Galway Tent in must see places to visit when in Galway?

Anyone catch Joe Duffy last Friday. One of the comedians was looking for accommodation and ended up in Ireland's only 'four story garage'. They had a jacuzzi each. He found it hard jumping the barrier for the train but said FHE was so good at it she should have been sent out instead of Derval O'Rourke!
    :)

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/senator-healy-eames-has-car-seized-in-galway/

"Reacting to news Taoiseach Enda Kenny told MidWest Radio Ms. Healy-Eames will be judged by the public on her actions when the next election comes around."

Does that mean if FHE doesn't get elected the next time out then the Seanad parachute is gone?

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/senator-healy-eames-has-car-seized-in-galway/

"Reacting to news Taoiseach Enda Kenny told MidWest Radio Ms. Healy-Eames will be judged by the public on her actions when the next election comes around."

Does that mean if FHE doesn't get elected the next time out then the Seanad parachute is gone?

No it means he's just going to ignore it and she can remain with her snout in the trough until 2016.

• Advertisement

Fidelma goes to Kenya!
    Controversial senator enjoys romantic holiday in Kenya after aid agency paid for couple's travel
    Fidelma Healy Eames and her husband are enjoying a luxury holiday in Kenya this weekend after they were flown out to Africa by a state-funded agency....She requested that her husband Michael should be brought on the initial trip to Rwanda for her safety and because she said she would be lonely without him.

"We lived in shared accommodation, which was very basic. There was no running water and it had intermittent electricity...You couldn't drink the water, so you had to hold your mouth closed while someone washed your hair and you might not even have an iron. It's very hard work. You have two-and-a-half to three weeks' work in one week. We start at 8 in the morning and don't finish until 5 or 6. That's a lot more work than a day at home."

Advertisement