Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-05-2020, 12:58   #616
Ozark707
Registered User
 
Ozark707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post



A large chunk of foreign people here are students - they don't qualify for any dole payment. And yes, some do live 4 to a room and pay lower rent, but if someone is living 4 people to a room here paying 300e a month thats even more reason why they'll break their lease and go back to Brazil (or elsewhere).
.
Quite a number of childminders are paid cash in hand and as a result Will not be eligible for payment either. This will be quite a blow as they would probably be getting approx 500 a week and would have been able to have had a relatively decent standard of accommodation. With so many now cutting their childcare I imagine many have lost their jobs right now.
Ozark707 is offline  
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 19:26   #617
double jobbing
Registered User
 
double jobbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
Illness or a family member falling ill would presumably involve going to a doctor or hospital, regardless of where you're staying. And neither happens with any regularity on a holiday. I
I'm talking about illness or family death befalling the host. You'd want to be some halfwit to book a place to stay and be gambling on the "host" not happening to have a heart attack, a family member ill, or some other disaster befall them.
double jobbing is offline  
21-05-2020, 19:35   #618
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by double jobbing View Post
I'm talking about illness or family death befalling the host. You'd want to be some halfwit to book a place to stay and be gambling on the "host" not happening to have a heart attack, a family member ill, or some other disaster befall them.
Statistically I doubt the Host maladies you describe would be much of a gamble. If you think that way, how do you leave your home?

Last edited by Dav010; 21-05-2020 at 19:43.
Dav010 is online now  
21-05-2020, 20:19   #619
double jobbing
Registered User
 
double jobbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Statistically I doubt the Host maladies you describe would be much of a gamble. If you think that way, how do you leave your home?
When I leave my home I'm not normally carrying a suitcase.

When I go on holiday I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than some vulture's apartment.

I'm simply amazed that anybody would use it.
double jobbing is offline  
21-05-2020, 20:35   #620
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by double jobbing View Post
When I leave my home I'm not normally carrying a suitcase.

When I go on holiday I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than some vulture's apartment.

I'm simply amazed that anybody would use it.

The heightened expectation that something will afflict the person who you are booking with suggests that you worry about things that are highly unlikely to happen. Maybe you think all Hosts are prone to ill health. It’s kinda creepy to think all Hosts are sickly.

Most people who book Airbnb do so for reasons already discussed, like price, convenience, location, sharing a property with family or friends, facilities like a kitchen etc. If you haven’t tried it, you should.

Last edited by Dav010; 21-05-2020 at 20:39.
Dav010 is online now  
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 23:06   #621
Assetbacked
Registered User
 
Assetbacked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,824
Facebook have essentially announced they are cutting salaries. The announcement has been Trojan horse into an announcement by Zuckerberg to staff that they aim to offer remote working to most staff in the next 5-10 years. However, he said salaries can be adjusted in line with cost of living where staff have related to. An indirect announcement about cutting salaries I suppose. If this impacts Dublin then of course it will be a benefit to ease the pressure on the rental market.
Assetbacked is offline  
Thanks from:
21-05-2020, 23:33   #622
Ozark707
Registered User
 
Ozark707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
Facebook have essentially announced they are cutting salaries. The announcement has been Trojan horse into an announcement by Zuckerberg to staff that they aim to offer remote working to most staff in the next 5-10 years. However, he said salaries can be adjusted in line with cost of living where staff have related to. An indirect announcement about cutting salaries I suppose. If this impacts Dublin then of course it will be a benefit to ease the pressure on the rental market.
I wonder where that leaves the site at the old AIB HQ in Ballsbridge?
Ozark707 is offline  
22-05-2020, 09:37   #623
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark707 View Post
I wonder where that leaves the site at the old AIB HQ in Ballsbridge?
It is still in the same place. I passed it this morning.
Claw Hammer is offline  
22-05-2020, 09:58   #624
Ozark707
Registered User
 
Ozark707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
It is still in the same place. I passed it this morning.
Well I mean I understood this was to be the new FB HQ with space for 8k workers or something like that. If they are projecting 50% will not be in an office will gargantuan projects like that remain viable especially if they want to reduce costs.
Ozark707 is offline  
Advertisement
22-05-2020, 13:53   #625
JimmyVik
Registered User
 
JimmyVik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by double jobbing View Post
When I leave my home I'm not normally carrying a suitcase.

When I go on holiday I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than some vulture's apartment.

I'm simply amazed that anybody would use it.

I love AirBNB.
One of the best things to come in years as far as im concerned.
And the great thing is that usually you only have to go through the platform once. And if you stay at that persons property again you get even more of a discount.
JimmyVik is offline  
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 13:55   #626
JimmyVik
Registered User
 
JimmyVik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark707 View Post
Well I mean I understood this was to be the new FB HQ with space for 8k workers or something like that. If they are projecting 50% will not be in an office will gargantuan projects like that remain viable especially if they want to reduce costs.

By the time this happens they will probably need 16k workers. 8K in the office and another 8 at home.
JimmyVik is offline  
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 14:51   #627
EvoEvo
Registered User
 
EvoEvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark707 View Post
Well I mean I understood this was to be the new FB HQ with space for 8k workers or something like that. If they are projecting 50% will not be in an office will gargantuan projects like that remain viable especially if they want to reduce costs.
a lot of company are projecting even 30 % percent...
EvoEvo is offline  
22-05-2020, 15:48   #628
Assetbacked
Registered User
 
Assetbacked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
I love AirBNB.
One of the best things to come in years as far as im concerned.
And the great thing is that usually you only have to go through the platform once. And if you stay at that persons property again you get even more of a discount.
I think Airbnb has its place as well, though I tend towards more professional set ups who advertise on Airbnb to minimise risk. As you say, once you stay somewhere you can bypass airbnb to book the next time by going to direct to the host!
Assetbacked is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet