Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2020, 12:58   #616
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post

A large chunk of foreign people here are students - they don't qualify for any dole payment. And yes, some do live 4 to a room and pay lower rent, but if someone is living 4 people to a room here paying 300e a month thats even more reason why they'll break their lease and go back to Brazil (or elsewhere).
Quite a number of childminders are paid cash in hand and as a result Will not be eligible for payment either. This will be quite a blow as they would probably be getting approx 500 a week and would have been able to have had a relatively decent standard of accommodation. With so many now cutting their childcare I imagine many have lost their jobs right now.
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 19:26   #617
double jobbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
Illness or a family member falling ill would presumably involve going to a doctor or hospital, regardless of where you're staying. And neither happens with any regularity on a holiday. I
I'm talking about illness or family death befalling the host. You'd want to be some halfwit to book a place to stay and be gambling on the "host" not happening to have a heart attack, a family member ill, or some other disaster befall them.
21-05-2020, 19:35   #618
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by double jobbing View Post
I'm talking about illness or family death befalling the host. You'd want to be some halfwit to book a place to stay and be gambling on the "host" not happening to have a heart attack, a family member ill, or some other disaster befall them.
Statistically I doubt the Host maladies you describe would be much of a gamble. If you think that way, how do you leave your home?

Last edited by Dav010; 21-05-2020 at 19:43.
21-05-2020, 20:19   #619
double jobbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Statistically I doubt the Host maladies you describe would be much of a gamble. If you think that way, how do you leave your home?
When I leave my home I'm not normally carrying a suitcase.

When I go on holiday I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than some vulture's apartment.

I'm simply amazed that anybody would use it.
21-05-2020, 20:35   #620
Dav010

Quote:

When I go on holiday I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than some vulture's apartment.

The heightened expectation that something will afflict the person who you are booking with suggests that you worry about things that are highly unlikely to happen. Maybe you think all Hosts are prone to ill health. It’s kinda creepy to think all Hosts are sickly.

Most people who book Airbnb do so for reasons already discussed, like price, convenience, location, sharing a property with family or friends, facilities like a kitchen etc. If you haven’t tried it, you should.

Last edited by Dav010; 21-05-2020 at 20:39.
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 23:06   #621
Assetbacked

Facebook have essentially announced they are cutting salaries. The announcement has been Trojan horse into an announcement by Zuckerberg to staff that they aim to offer remote working to most staff in the next 5-10 years. However, he said salaries can be adjusted in line with cost of living where staff have related to. An indirect announcement about cutting salaries I suppose. If this impacts Dublin then of course it will be a benefit to ease the pressure on the rental market.
Thanks from:
21-05-2020, 23:33   #622
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
Facebook have essentially announced they are cutting salaries. The announcement has been Trojan horse into an announcement by Zuckerberg to staff that they aim to offer remote working to most staff in the next 5-10 years. However, he said salaries can be adjusted in line with cost of living where staff have related to. An indirect announcement about cutting salaries I suppose. If this impacts Dublin then of course it will be a benefit to ease the pressure on the rental market.
I wonder where that leaves the site at the old AIB HQ in Ballsbridge?
22-05-2020, 09:37   #623
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark707 View Post
I wonder where that leaves the site at the old AIB HQ in Ballsbridge?
It is still in the same place. I passed it this morning.
22-05-2020, 09:58   #624
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
It is still in the same place. I passed it this morning.
Well I mean I understood this was to be the new FB HQ with space for 8k workers or something like that. If they are projecting 50% will not be in an office will gargantuan projects like that remain viable especially if they want to reduce costs.
Advertisement
22-05-2020, 13:53   #625
JimmyVik

Quote:

I love AirBNB.
One of the best things to come in years as far as im concerned.
And the great thing is that usually you only have to go through the platform once. And if you stay at that persons property again you get even more of a discount.
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 13:55   #626
JimmyVik

Quote:
Well I mean I understood this was to be the new FB HQ with space for 8k workers or something like that. If they are projecting 50% will not be in an office will gargantuan projects like that remain viable especially if they want to reduce costs.

By the time this happens they will probably need 16k workers. 8K in the office and another 8 at home.
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 14:51   #627
EvoEvo

Quote:
a lot of company are projecting even 30 % percent...
22-05-2020, 15:48   #628
Assetbacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
I love AirBNB.
One of the best things to come in years as far as im concerned.
And the great thing is that usually you only have to go through the platform once. And if you stay at that persons property again you get even more of a discount.
I think Airbnb has its place as well, though I tend towards more professional set ups who advertise on Airbnb to minimise risk. As you say, once you stay somewhere you can bypass airbnb to book the next time by going to direct to the host!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion