Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-07-2020, 20:19   #5776
okidoki987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin Jimmy View Post
As another poster said, that seems to be the max discount being offered for quite some time. They used to offer 50% off and a credit on your account too. They were the days .
and that was when the cost of Sky was half what it is now
okidoki987 is offline  
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 16:04   #5777
carazeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Hi, I currently have a Sky+ HD box with variety pack. Called Sky to cancel and was offered a deal to upgrade to Sky Q. I'm undecided about this. If I upgrade to Sky Q, will I be allowed to keep the equipment I have at the moment so I will still have a means of receiving free channels if I decide to cancel Sky in the future (Sky said they would install a new dish and box for the Sky Q, which I understand would remain the property of Sky).

Also, if I wanted to get a Sky Q mini box to use in another room, would there usually be an upfront & monthly cost for this? Thanks
carazeb is offline  
31-07-2020, 16:53   #5778
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by carazeb View Post
Hi, I currently have a Sky+ HD box with variety pack. Called Sky to cancel and was offered a deal to upgrade to Sky Q. I'm undecided about this. If I upgrade to Sky Q, will I be allowed to keep the equipment I have at the moment so I will still have a means of receiving free channels if I decide to cancel Sky in the future (Sky said they would install a new dish and box for the Sky Q, which I understand would remain the property of Sky).

Also, if I wanted to get a Sky Q mini box to use in another room, would there usually be an upfront & monthly cost for this? Thanks
Ask for, and make sure you get on install day, a hybrid lnb with enough connections to allow you to go back to free tv if you want. The standard Q lnb won’t work with the older type boxes. Get the installer to leave your box connected to the new hybrid lnb and to run a new cable to the Q box. If you have multi room already there’s no up front charge for one mini box but there is an extra monthly charge. I looked into doing the upgrade myself but didn’t bother in the end.
CoBo55 is offline  
31-07-2020, 17:10   #5779
carazeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Ask for, and make sure you get on install day, a hybrid lnb with enough connections to allow you to go back to free tv if you want. The standard Q lnb won’t work with the older type boxes. Get the installer to leave your box connected to the new hybrid lnb and to run a new cable to the Q box. If you have multi room already there’s no up front charge for one mini box but there is an extra monthly charge. I looked into doing the upgrade myself but didn’t bother in the end.
That's great, thanks for that info. The installer who usually covers our area is quite helpful so hopefully he would do what you've suggested without issue. I don't currently have multi room, I just had found some older search results on google (although possibly UK ones) that had suggested that the Sky Q mini boxes had a one-off install cost with no monthly subscription charges. I thought it sounded too good to be true though!
carazeb is offline  
31-07-2020, 17:13   #5780
EverythingGood
Registered User
 
EverythingGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by carazeb View Post
That's great, thanks for that info. The installer who usually covers our area is quite helpful so hopefully he would do what you've suggested without issue. I don't currently have multi room, I just had found some older search results on google (although possibly UK ones) that had suggested that the Sky Q mini boxes had a one-off install cost with no monthly subscription charges. I thought it sounded too good to be true though!
Monthly cost is the same if you one or 3 addtional mini Q's - unlike the individual charge on regulat multi rooms
EverythingGood is offline  
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 20:18   #5781
carazeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGood View Post
Monthly cost is the same if you one or 3 addtional mini Q's - unlike the individual charge on regulat multi rooms
Ah ok that's good to know. I see the sky site says €19 a month for multi room, so I suppose that's not too bad if it covers more than one room
carazeb is offline  
01-08-2020, 15:01   #5782
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGood View Post
Monthly cost is the same if you one or 3 addtional mini Q's - unlike the individual charge on regulat multi rooms
That isn’t too bad, so you get the first box free, then pay a one off charge for each extra box and pay €19 per month, could be tempted by that arrangement.
CoBo55 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet