Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

to do with online ordering and delivery, bought a jacket for my dad for christmas on the new debenhams.ie, hadn't received it on the afternoon of the 23rd even though Id ordered it the previous week and a few days before the christmas delivery cut-off point so I rang them and they told me that it had been 'lost in transit' and offered me a refund. I wanted the item not the refund so got them to check stock in branches in Dublin to no avail so accepted the refund and legged it down towm where I spent €50 more to get a similar (but nicer in fairness) item in Timberland. I was no sooner back in the office when the courier service rang to say they were at my apartment to deliver the item!!! arrghhh!!!! told them to bring it back (debenhams are doing free returns) and rang debenhams again. No apology and they recorded it as a return (got the updated email)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Anyone know any sites that have different kind of clothes? I'm sort of looking for something like Jeremy Scott would have out. A printed trouser for a man seems impossible to find if your not living in London or New York!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey guys. I wad wondering what the sizing is like for all saints? I notice they only go up to size 14. I would be about a 16, but still working on losing weight, do I'm kinda hoping that a 14 is possible in a few months. Saw a really awesome dress in all saints so just kinda curious, what's their sizing like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ All Saints clothes are massive. Well, for jumpers/jackets and t-shirts anyway. I am usually an 8-10 and take a 6 in All Saints. Sometimes a 6 is even too big. I love it though because the arms are usually really long...made for tall people! I don't know about the dresses, though. I have tried on one or two and they seemed quite true too size, but they were very fitted. Depends on the style I guess!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    ^ All Saints clothes are massive. Well, for jumpers/jackets and t-shirts anyway. I am usually an 8-10 and take a 6 in All Saints. Sometimes a 6 is even too big. I love it though because the arms are usually really long...made for tall people! I don't know about the dresses, though. I have tried on one or two and they seemed quite true too size, but they were very fitted. Depends on the style I guess!

ok, that's good, 'cos I am tall :D but I'm generally about a size 16 and they only go up to 14. I've been googling it, and it seems the dresses can run a bit small or are a bit tight..

going by the all saints website sizing guide, the measurements off the sizing guide look about right, so going by that I might fit a size 14, but there probably wouldn't be much wiggle room.

anyway, this is the dress

WKJ205-5-1.jpg

so I'm all kinds of holy crap I want! over it right now...

the other thing is, I've read that all saints knitwear seems to run quite large, and this dress is under knitwear on their site. so I'm kinda in two minds about it.

although I have managed to successfully lose weight this month (I seemed perpetually stuck at the same weight for ages, but managed to finally start losing weight again) and I'm going to be trying quite hard to lose a bit more before the summer. so all going well, I hope to go down a size.

I'm just not sure if it'll fit :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Why don't you try it on Links? Or are you planning on buying online?

I was thinking of buying online, yeah. Also, to tell the truth, I'd be too nervous to try it on in the shop. :o

Links234 wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying online, yeah. Also, to tell the truth, I'd be too nervous to try it on in the shop. :o

Well then buy two and return if they don't fit. That's what I do for stuff on ASOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm too tall for most of the dresses on Asos :/

hmm, that's an idea Stench Blossoms

how tall are you Vinta81?

• Advertisement

what do you guys think of the dress btw?

hmm, that's an idea Stench Blossoms

how tall are you Vinta81?

5'9/10

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I'm too tall for most of the dresses on Asos :/

No you're not! I'm the same height as you and I've ordered dresses off Asos. Returned most of them though because they are absolutely shite quality and usually look horrible in person :/

hmm, I'm just shy of 6 foot tall

I love the dress, Links! The whole thing is really cool, especially love the corset-ish bit at the top :) Always see some fab dresses on All Saints but never know what I would wear them to. And they can be very expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

what do you guys think of the dress btw?
    I love the dress Links, do you have a link for it?

here we go: http://www.allsaints.com/women/dresses/allsaints-partha-dress/?colour=5&category=26

I really love it. it's pretty rare I see something that I really like, my tastes are a bit hard to pin down and I never really see anything in Ireland that I go for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love the dress, always admiring them!

thanks everyone :D

I think if I do get the dress and it fits, I might even post a pic to the what are you wearing thread at some point ;)

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    No you're not! I'm the same height as you and I've ordered dresses off Asos. Returned most of them though because they are absolutely shite quality and usually look horrible in person :/

Almost all I've tried have been too short at the back. The front looks ok, but I don't feel comfortable in the back.

^ Guess it depends on the style really. I never go for short dresses anyway. It really is a pain being tall though, very few "going out" type dresses are made for tall people! Unless they like looking like sluts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I love when sites tell you the models height and size, because sometimes they even look scandalously short on the models! I'm only 5'8 but all my height is in my legs, look a right skank in short legs because I always wear nude tights.

Saw lots of long, full bodied, lady like, 50s skirts in the Sunday Times Style mag this week, thought they were gorgeous! Then I remembered I have a ballet character skirt in my wardrobe somewhere, I think it could be of some use with the right top! This is a good thing about being a clothes hoarder, you never know :D

3c4798a2-e489-429b-b90d-9d8400b9bd0d_578x700.jpg

^ Ahaha! I still have one of those from ballet from when I was a lot younger. Same colours and all!

So I'm pretty annoyed with Awear at the moment. Bought loads of jeans over Christmas there, all the same size. They were slightly too big but I didn't mind at the time. I've lost weight since then so they are way too big now.

Went in to get a new pair today, in the same size and they wouldn't close for the life of me. Next size up wouldn't close either.

I am aware there are inconsistencies between shops but didn't ever find it in the same shop.

Grrr

• Advertisement

Cork people!

I was going to ask in the Cork forum but said I'd chance my arm here. I have my college ball next Thursday night and was wondering if I take a dress to get dry cleaned on Monday it should be done by Thursday afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I would think so, definitely. Are you in the city centre? I'd try Impress (I think it's called) on the corner of Pembroke St opposite the GPO. Never had an issue with them. They do alterations too so know how to handle gowns and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Looking to source a second-third-fourth hand wedding dress...in my size. Cheap as chips as it's going to end up distroyed.
    For anyone that dosen't know me just think very very big.
    Any ideas?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

OldGoat wrote: »
    Looking to source a second-third-fourth hand wedding dress...in my size. Cheap as chips as it's going to end up distroyed.
    For anyone that dosen't know me just think very very big.
    Any ideas?

Intrigued. Ebay? Charity shops?

Otherwise get a white stretchy dress and attach lots of white tulle/net curtains.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

GOAT; There's a Shop that sells Tents on Liffey Street bring them in a Bolt of Curtain Net .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Bythewoods, that Karen Millen dress you bought is GORGEOUS. Can I be bold and ask how much it cost?? My jaw nearly hit the floor looking at it.

Also what's the name/ product code for the dress? Can't find it on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I have a vaguely fashion-related question! I'm looking for a decent umbrella, one that won't break in strong winds or heavy rain. Ideally it'd be big like the golf or banker-type size, if that makes sense? I've bought smaller ones from boots and accessorise before but they just don't last long enough. Anyone have any idea where i should look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

My mother got one in Arnotts before, it was a few years ago now (I was in school at the time, and am out of school five years now), it was green in colour and it is still going strong.

One of the spokes is a bit bent, but it's not broken completely, it's still usable.

I'd say try any of the good department stores (Arnotts, Boyers, Clearys, Debenhams etc) and you should find something. I have no idea about prices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Thanks :) not too worried about price, tbh, since every time I get one in boots/accessorise I drop €20 euro for the pleasure and might get 6 months max from it! So if I have to pay more for quality then I really don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Avoca do nice looking big umbrellas. Haven't used them though so can't vouch for the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

Hi, I don't think this merited its own thread so thought I'd ask here!

Do the shops in the city centre such as new look in the Jervis centre have their summer stock in yet? Was thinking of going in on saturday but I won't bother if its still old stock/ winter stock.

would it be mad to get another pair (or two?) of Doctor Martens Triumph 1914 boots?

R1207002-BLKZOOM6.JPG

I really, really like these boots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hedwig wrote: »
    Hi, I don't think this merited its own thread so thought I'd ask here!

Do the shops in the city centre such as new look in the Jervis centre have their summer stock in yet? Was thinking of going in on saturday but I won't bother if its still old stock/ winter stock.

I was around town today and there does seem to be an awful lot of shorts and light tops around so they've definitely started bringing the ranges in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Bythewoods, that Karen Millen dress you bought is GORGEOUS. Can I be bold and ask how much it cost?? My jaw nearly hit the floor looking at it.

Also what's the name/ product code for the dress? Can't find it on their website.

I got it on sale (woooh) so it was reduced from €200-and-something to 80 quid (I KNOW! I KNOW!)
    There were a few left in the Grafton St shop (2 weeks ago now), all in small sizes though. Not sure what the product code is but it's probably gone off the website now anyway. I left the dress behind in my parent's house but I'll post it up next time I'm home in the next few weeks!

So I bought this top for tomorrow and can't decide what to paid with it! I was just thinking a black skirt under it and coloured heels?

300a0qh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

hey has anyone here bought any disaster designs satchels?
    there is one on amazon that i really like but it works out at €40 including delivery . its only a mini satchel so i really want to make sure that it is worth the price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Vinta81 wrote: »
    So I bought this top for tomorrow and can't decide what to paid with it! I was just thinking a black skirt under it and coloured heels?

300a0qh.jpg

Does it cover your bum? If so black leggings might be better than a skirt. Or even black tights and shorts. Love the thought of really bright shoes, fuscia or electric blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Does it cover your bum? If so black leggings might be better than a skirt. Or even black tights and shorts. Love the thought of really bright shoes, fuscia or electric blue.

I also like maybe black skinny jeans? I have a pair that go great with those kind of tops...if it was long enough I'd definitely pair it with black tights! And bright bright heels :D

Is there anywhere that still does those Nike air rift runners? Used to have a pair ages ago, and I'd kinda like a new pair to be honest.

Waaaah a lovely vintage dress I got in New York came back from the dry cleaners and they couldn't lift the stains :( Looks like tan or something. It's only on the end, so the dress maker is going to try make a new hem for it, without sacrificing too much in the length. It's for a wedding, so I really can't be going with a dirty dress or one too short!

I hope it works out, the wedding is in two weeks and I am not prepared to go shopping for another dress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?catalogId=33056&storeId=12555&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=221095&parent_categoryId=207169&beginIndex=1&pageSize=20

Topman's new "Colonial" range is described as all about making a statement with a melting pot of prints, patterns and textures.

Yeah, definitely writing a letter of complaint.

I don't think appropriating colonized cultures into a ~melting pot~ of 'fashion' for a British high street chain is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?catalogId=33056&storeId=12555&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=221095&parent_categoryId=207169&beginIndex=1&pageSize=20

Topman's new "Colonial" range is described as all about making a statement with a melting pot of prints, patterns and textures.

I don't think appropriating colonized cultures into a ~melting pot~ of 'fashion' for a British high street chain is cool.
    Yikes. Colonialism as a word alone makes me shrink away.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

hi all, don't think this merits a new thread, but I was wondering if you know of any shops in or near Cork that might stock the Farah men's brand? My dad's a fan of their polo shirts, and I want to get a few for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Make sure you tell them in your letter that the clothes are awful. That shop has gone to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ You guys might be interested in reading this thread on the fashion spot.
    http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f121/use-cultural-appropriation-fashion-136669.html

Advertisement