Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Tommy do a mean annual calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Homer wrote: »
    Could be a cheap Chinese knock off, maybe Tommys less successful brother? Hmmm :D

But, is there any such thing as a genuine Tommy Hilfiger watch?
    The brand seems to make horribly derivative, pedestrian clothes, I can't see how they could make anything genuine in a side line like watches.

I'd wear Bord Na Mona watch before a Tommy fecking Hilfiger, it would be just as 'authentic'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

893bet wrote: »

The clasp looks engraved and the pictures of the dial and case seem fuzzy. Always a bad sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The clasp looks engraved and the pictures of the dial and case seem fuzzy. Always a bad sign.

Yeah the dial looks completely wrong.

Yerman is a bit touchy with his tag comment!!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He’s off to get it appraised now
    He will be laughed out of the shop

Will come back written on an Argos docket.

Yerman is a bit touchy with his tag comment!!

Not sure what he meant with that. Had me confused with someone else I think as didn't bid any tag recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Adverts is hilarious sometimes, lads get so wound up!

• Advertisement

http://www.adverts.ie/15288485

Interesting image caption. Facebook raffle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Nothing in the advert against the rules but those raffle type listings would get pulled.

Nothing in the advert against the rules but those raffle type listings would get pulled.

No but dies the watch exist? If there were only 10 tickets left at some point...it won't sell either way on adverts.

Image is gone now...!

893bet wrote: »
    Image is gone now...!

Sketch lads... we’re being watched :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

This seller has a bunch of fake watches, sunglasses,belts.

http://www.adverts.ie/15293313

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

HDMI wrote: »
    This seller has a bunch of fake watches, sunglasses,belts.

http://www.adverts.ie/15293313

Yeah but I think he’s selling that as a fake rather than asking real money
    I know it’s wrong but it seems much less wrong than selling fake as real

Oh gone now
    Hi Spocker (waves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fake gear isn’t allowed on adverts

Yes
    That’s why I wrote “I know it’s wrong”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah but I think he’s selling that as a fake rather than asking real money
    I know it’s wrong but it seems much less wrong than selling fake as real

Oh gone now
    Hi Spocker (waves)

Good man Spocker!

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Good man Spocker!

Bows and waves back :pac: !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Typical seller of fakes here, raging that he's been called out.

https://www.adverts.ie/dress/men-s-mechanical-watch-with-blue-dial/15299897

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ah lads you are way too fast at killing these!!

Just read his comments to you, he got a bit cranky lol

Funny thing is, I called him out and he put up about 8 replies in a row without response from me (because he blocked me). Another idiot.

Checkout his sold/withdrawn ads. He also had a suspiciously low priced SubC for sale about 6 months back. Refused to put up pics of the actual watch or confirm the serial number.

Does no one screen the ads before they're made live?

............and it's gone!

It was removed quickly
    He’s venting on another advert now
    Spat his dummy out

Link?

FFS. What an absolute c**t.

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/rolex-day-date-green-dial/18640904

There's the guy that swore on Adverts yesterday that he wasn't selling fakes!

https://www.adverts.ie/member/638106/ads

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

Winner winner chicken dinner

https://www.adverts.ie/15308630

are these people trying to pass these off as genuine or pricey replicas? is there an issue with selling replicas? with a €150 asking price, isn’t it obvious that the seller is selling a heap of shíte replica?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

wow his reaction was hilarious, glad I tune in to this forum for the odd laugh

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

Can’t really let obvious replicas in and then remove the not so obvious ones
    Remove them all as per adverts rules

I understand to an extent but if someone is selling something which is clearly a replica and admitting as much with the cheap asking price I don’t see the issue. The replicas where a seller is looking for thousands of euro and trying to pass it off as genuine attempting to defraud someone I most definitely would. Maybe they should have a dedicated replica tat sub category.

• Advertisement

It was removed quickly
    He’s venting on another advert now
    Spat his dummy out

It happens a lot actually, folks who have had an ad removed spamming others. The other ad has been cleaned up.

It's not possible to pre-screen all of the ads by a human, but there is some work done in the background before an ad goes live. Can't catch em all though, which is why we chat here :D

I understand to an extent but if someone is selling something which is clearly a replica and admitting as much with the cheap asking price I don’t see the issue. The replicas where a seller is looking for thousands of euro and trying to pass it off as genuine attempting to defraud someone I most definitely would. Maybe they should have a dedicated replica tat sub category.

Don't matter what price it is, or if the seller calls it out as being a replica - a fake is a fake, they all get nuked

Maybe they should have a dedicated replica tat sub category.

At a guess if Adverts had such a section it wouldn't be long before they start getting threatening letters asking for it to be removed.

If anyone is truly interested in watches they should have no interest in any type of fake or replica. There are plenty of ways to get the Rolex type look without it being a replica.

My eyes!!!!!!! Aaaaand gone.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_28_at_18_41_26.png

70 for a brand new ladies rolex. An 'unwanted gift'.
    So tempted to ask them if they have box and papers!!

And he has now marked it as 'sold' instead of withdrawn. He will have to pay sales fees on that!
    His other advert is for a signed card from the 'Princess of whales'.
    What did she do - sign it with her flipper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Reading this reminds of trying to buy a breitling aviator in a Kuala Lumpur market in 1999. Obvious fake terrible quality, would have been surprised if ran to the edge of the market. I was prepared to pay a tenner but he wanted more so I had to walk away. Passed part of an evening though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Cheers , I've quarantined this one .

Sorry guys.. I am on holidays so hopefully it will be removed soon!

• Advertisement

6 of them in one listing

http://www.adverts.ie/15393808

HDMI wrote: »
    6 of them in one listing

http://www.adverts.ie/15393808

Nuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Keyzer wrote: »
    Lovely whatch.

Any chance people would screenshot? The mods are too quick, and I keep missing the ads!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Time wrote: »
    Any chance people would screenshot? The mods are too quick, and I keep missing the ads!:P

Would also be a great way of tracking what to watch out for when trying to avoid knock offs :)

• Advertisement

Fake Patek for €1234 and he bought it for €300 but doesn't know if it's genuine :rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/15492386

And photo for posterity

XpKVn42.png

That dial is horrific, it actually looks like something someone made at home on their printer

Saw that Mr John O'Citizen and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:
    I know somebody mentioned screenshots of the fakes but in the vast majority of cases they are so blatantly obvious you wouldn’t be learning much from a screenshot. It’s the ones that are priced close to what a genuine one would be that need more careful scrutiny. Might have something worth discussing in the coming days :p

Saw that Richard and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:
    I know somebody mentioned screenshots of the fakes but in the vast majority of cases they are so blatantly obvious you wouldn’t be learning much from a screenshot. It’s the ones that are priced close to what a genuine one would be that need more careful scrutiny. Might have something worth discussing in the coming days :p

It was myself looking for the screenshots, it was more for entertainment value like the above rather than education. From the state of some of the pictures people put on adverts it’d be hard to tell some fakes

Saw that Richard and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:

Thanks Mr John O'Citizen,

Maybe if that seller had listed that at 15-20 grand I would have been a lot more hesitant to comment on his listing. But pricing it at €1234 forced me to ask him a question and his answer sealed it as a total fake.

The bigger brand fakes for most will only be caught by the silly low prices. We know Patek and the likes of AP should be costing thousands so it's easy to call them out. But honestly there are not many who would actually have first hand experience with the brands. Someday a really good fake will appear on adverts with a high price and none of us will catch it. The buyer will get burned badly, not sure how we can stop it from happening.

As for the photo's it will be good to post them just for a laugh more than anything else. I don't expect any education from them at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement