Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids refusing to go to school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

retalivity wrote: »
    How many of the kids claiming 'anxiety' are just lazy sh1tes and being indulged? I know a few people whose kids have gluten intolerances, asthma, adhd, ptsd, the Spanish flu, leprosy, the works. According to them anyway...
    Very very few and anxiety(PTSD is a form of anxiety) can appear in form as laziness/acting out. But the opposite is the case

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GLaDOS wrote: »
    No normal kid ever wanted to go to school
    From neither today nor yesterday

And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school.

- William Shakespeare - As You Like It, 1600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/schoolflakes-the-children-not-going-to-school-because-they-don-t-like-it-1.3340555

Interesting article here. I have sympathy for any child who genuinely dreads going to school, but just letting them stay at home isn't doing them any favours in the long term. The day will come when they have a job they hate, or a boss they can't stand, or a colleague they don't get on with, but they'll still need to pay the bills.

Failed Parenting Strategies have led us to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There also appears to be at least 40 hours in a day in North Carolina if you can manage 2 full time jobs in finance, 2 PhDs, 4 kids and home-schooling.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Get off boards put your cape back on and teach those kids

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So your not home schooling basically, you have a private tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/schoolflakes-the-children-not-going-to-school-because-they-don-t-like-it-1.3340555

Interesting article here. I have sympathy for any child who genuinely dreads going to school, but just letting them stay at home isn't doing them any favours in the long term. The day will come when they have a job they hate, or a boss they can't stand, or a colleague they don't get on with, but they'll still need to pay the bills.

Or maybe they will have a job they love, why would anyone do a job they hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

pgj2015 wrote: »

Because sometimes we don't have a choice because bills need to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Because most of the workforce has to work their way up .. not always doing a job they like along the way

LirW wrote: »
    Because sometimes we don't have a choice because bills need to be paid.

Then they have bigger problems than being anti social from not going to school. we should be telling kids they can do whatever they want career wise not that they may end up working in a job they hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

listermint wrote: »
    So your not home schooling basically, you have a private tutor.

The definition of homeschooling is teaching performed by the parents or a tutor in the home.

In response to being bullied in school being an important life experience in terms of learning how to cope with bullying in the work place (there's no logic there at all, but several people have said it) how do kids that don't experience being bullied in public school cope? Why do we campaign against bullying if it's such a valuable life experience? There's nothing positive to be taken from bullying.

Most homeschooled kids are involved in activities such as sports, clubs, scouts etc. so there is plenty of opportunities for social skills development. Humans, especially kids, are adaptable, you won't turn into a hermit from being home schooled. Where poor mental health is an issue, moderate social exposure can be the best form of treatment, rather than forcing a child that doesn't know why they feel the way they do, to stay in a system that distresses them years on end.

Another misconception is only the parents can be involved in teaching hence leading to an inferior education, that's not the case.

I think most of the points raised just come from a complete lack of understanding of what's involved in homeschooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Then they have bigger problems than being anti social from not going to school. we should be telling kids they can do whatever they want career wise not that they may end up working in a job they hate.

This mindset had caused a lot of people doing courses that have very little employment perspectives. Because they always got told they're the one who'll make it big. Unfortunately I know plenty of them in precarious work situations because they desperately want to stay in the field of choice or they work in something entirely unrelated because the pay is better.
    Life out there isn't nice and there is not a nice and fun and cozy workplace for everyone. Someone has to work at Supervalu, Dunnes, in call centers or other crappy customer support jobs because they pay money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

In my view and I've been one of those who went through both primary & secondary school education only to find it a complete waste of time.
    The Irish educational system is not set up to cater for so many different individuals and their social economic backgrounds.

The education system needs a massive kick to bring it into the modern era.
    It needs to be transformed from what it is to something totally different!
    It needs to progress in it's subjects and it needs to involve local industry in its future.
    Train the youth in a variety of subjects such as panel beating, plumbing, nursing, electrical, hgv/bus driving, hostelry to name but a few!

I would like to think that young adults have progressed a little more than in
    my days of education so they may be a little more wiser and mature in the decision they make in regard to their future!

LirW wrote: »
    This mindset had caused a lot of people doing courses that have very little employment perspectives. Because they always got told they're the one who'll make it big. Unfortunately I know plenty of them in precarious work situations because they desperately want to stay in the field of choice or they work in something entirely unrelated because the pay is better.
    Life out there isn't nice and there is not a nice and fun and cozy workplace for everyone. Someone has to work at Supervalu, Dunnes, in call centers or other crappy customer support jobs because they pay money.

I was thinking more along the lines of these kids working for themselves, then sink or swim.

At least they tried, we all sink at some stage but you have to just get up and keep moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The definition of homeschooling is teaching performed by the parents or a tutor in the home.

In response to being bullied in school being an important life experience in terms of learning how to cope with bullying in the work place (there's no logic there at all, but several people have said it) how do kids that don't experience being bullied in public school cope? Why do we campaign against bullying if it's such a valuable life experience? There's nothing positive to be taken from bullying.

Most homeschooled kids are involved in activities such as sports, clubs, scouts etc. so there is plenty of opportunities for social skills development. Humans, especially kids, are adaptable, you won't turn into a hermit from being home schooled. Where poor mental health is an issue, moderate social exposure can be the best form of treatment, rather than forcing a child that doesn't know why they feel the way they do, to stay in a system that distresses them years on end.

Another misconception is only the parents can be involved in teaching hence leading to an inferior education, that's not the case.

I think most of the points raised just come from a complete lack of understanding of what's involved in homeschooling.

The implied definition is home schooled meaning by the parents, not a private tutor.

Anyway no argument here I'd do the same of it was in the us education system tbh

I don't think so, not for me anyway. I think the big problem we have in Irish schools is having very little faith in most of the kids, from my experience all kids are good at something, but it is there shortcomings that are highlighted, not their strengths.

Here we go wrote: »
    It's called school refusal David Caery was talking about in on news talk a few weeks back he said the longer /note they miss the harder it is for them to return so keeping them out is the wrong answer your supposed to go to the principal explain the situation and they sort out some one to meet them at the gate and welcome them/bring them in have a chat calm them down

I feel the same about going back to work ! Except my boss isn’t waiting at the gate to welcome me and calm me down 😏.

(Seriously though this is common with kids and staying at home is going to make it worse- doing things we don’t like and dealing with difficult situations is how we grow)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So you want to keep kids cotton wooled from bullying?

What happens when the bullying they have rarely experienced is doled out then in early adulthood?

Bullying is a fact of life.

A 17 year old lad who I knew who was a few years younger than me and lived a few doors up from my family home committed suicide back in the 90s. It destroyed his family. He was badly bullied in school.

Would you like to tell his family that "bullying is a fact of life?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Might as well get used to the idea of home schooling given the massive shortages of teachers the country will be facing.

‘Collapse’ in numbers applying for teacher-training courses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The freedom to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A 17 year old lad who I knew who was a few years younger than m and lived a few doors up from my family home committed suicide back in the 90s. It destroyed his family. He was badly bullied in school.

Would you like to tell his family that "bullying is a fact of life?"

It's always existed, it always will exist. It happens to everyone at various stages.

People need to learn to cope. They need to be psychologically equipped to cope.

I concur with the IT lead poster. There are so many grads coming out of college now fragile and with their heads so far up their asses in relation to basic street smarts and social reality, work ethic and what is expected of them that I genuinely fear for these people and their ability to cope.

We are far from the only people saying this.

Not everyone will be effected in the same way from over protection. For the vast majority my view is it's deleterous to their future prospects to be wrapped in cotton wool and effectively isolated from their peers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Noveight wrote: »
    Might as well get used to the idea of home schooling given the massive shortages of teachers the country will be facing.

‘Collapse’ in numbers applying for teacher-training courses

Or give the thousands of already trained teachers proper jobs, not part-time contracts, splitting full-time jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So you want to keep kids cotton wooled from bullying?

What happens when the bullying they have rarely experienced is doled out then in early adulthood?

Bullying is a fact of life.

IMO bullying should be a criminal offence. It is a huge problem in schools and in the workplace.

Burglaries are a fact of life but we don't just throw our hands up and say well this is real life, get used to it.

There is this attitude that bullying somehow makes a man out of you, hardens one up for life ahead. I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment.

Bullying is indeed a fact of life but it should never be allowed to continue - least of all in schools.

Sexual harassment is a form of bullying. Why did anyone like Weinstein ever think he could carry on in that way unless it was impressed on him from a young age that it was acceptable and he could get away with it.

Advertisement