Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Comments

How is his da not his da?

His mother did the dirty. I happen to be somewhat related to them myself. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,275 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

His mother did the dirty. I happen to be somewhat related to them myself. :P

Ha ha. A grudge pregnancy. Someone had it in for him. Literally.

Ha ha. A grudge pregnancy. Someone had it in for him. Literally.

I laughed out loud at that very delicate description! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The nappies reminded me of this case from a few years ago....

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/15747-man-sent-to-jail-for-mountain-of-dirty-nappies
    I'm surprised she didn't get disbarred for saying this
    Judge Devins asked Sweeney, who is a social welfare recipient, why he couldn’t find time to clean the mess. “You are doing nothing else all day,” she said. “The Government is giving you money hand over fist. Why don’t you get up and do some work. I wouldn’t allow a child of mine next nor near to that, yet you are bringing a new-born child home to that filth and dirt,” she said.

Fair play to her. Now if only everyone in authority took the same stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The nappies reminded me of this case from a few years ago....

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/15747-man-sent-to-jail-for-mountain-of-dirty-nappies

Same surname.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Danny_B wrote: »

Was there a shooting last night as well in Longford ?
    Are the government ever going to tackle traveller crime and the impact on the law abiding community ?

They could start by making travellers work as opposed to unquestioned social welfare from the cradle to the grave !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Are the government ever going to tackle traveller crime and the impact on the law abiding community ?

Good one!

Its making the whole idea of a culturally appropriate island sound better. Lord of the Flies style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They could start by making travellers work as opposed to unquestioned social welfare from the cradle to the grave !

The government are more likely to criminalise the act of identifying a traveller who engaged in criminal activity

RTE don't report on traveller crime and haven't done for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The government are more likely to criminalise the act of identifying a traveller who engaged in criminal activity

RTE don't report on traveller crime and haven't done for some time

RTE prefer to give coverage to a small bunch of pathetic losers/crusties that are protesting down in Doonbeg.
    Just look at the hatchet job that was done on Peter Casey.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Those are beautiful horses in fairness.

shame about the parasites on the back of them

Thurles fiasco nearing solution. http://tippfm.com/news/housing/cabragh-agreement-seen-progress-frustration-remains/

“Tipperary County Council’s agreement with Traveller families at Cabragh Bridge has been described as a step in the right direction by Councillors.

The stand-off began as families believed that the local authority had agreed to providing stables – however the local authority says that’s not the case.

Following mediation, it’s been agreed that the current site will be cleared, electricity will be removed, and it will also be secured, so there can be no further illegal encampments there.

However, the stables on the old site will stay, as they’re not on council owned land, and they’ve also been in place for more than 7 years.

Councillor Seamus Hanafin says that he’s happy with some aspects of the agreement, but it’s difficult to be happy with everything.”

https://soundcloud.com/tippfmradio/tipp-today-highlights-cabra-housing-resolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

mynamejeff wrote: »
    shame about the parasites on the back of them

I wouldn’t say that. They would be a better class than what we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Thurles fiasco nearing solution. http://tippfm.com/news/housing/cabragh-agreement-seen-progress-frustration-remains/

“Tipperary County Council’s agreement with Traveller families at Cabragh Bridge has been described as a step in the right direction by Councillors.

The stand-off began as families believed that the local authority had agreed to providing stables – however the local authority says that’s not the case.

Following mediation, it’s been agreed that the current site will be cleared, electricity will be removed, and it will also be secured, so there can be no further illegal encampments there.

However, the stables on the old site will stay, as they’re not on council owned land, and they’ve also been in place for more than 7 years.

Councillor Seamus Hanafin says that he’s happy with some aspects of the agreement, but it’s difficult to be happy with everything.”

https://soundcloud.com/tippfmradio/tipp-today-highlights-cabra-housing-resolution

All their short of now is jacuzzis for the horses apparently , Tipperary county council will have to increase local property tax for everyone else to pay for all the extras needed for travellers houses and stables .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh lord jebus....

Chris on a bike..... What a fcuking country....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Yup...ironically not too far away from one of the newly elected council members...should be interesting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

baldbear wrote: »
    Longford is ruined by these travellers . They have loads of kids & claim welfare. It would sicken you. Gangs stealing machinery & dealing. No wonder the armed response unit is down here.

Completely agree. I moved from Athlone to Longford (don't ask..i'm still trying to find out why) about 7 years ago, and I have heard time and time again travellers being up in the courts for anti-social behavior, apparently there is a feud between two families that has been going on for more than 20 years.
    Nobody mentioned to them to bury the hatchet as they would more than likely take it literally....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've seen much the same thing near here. I mentioned it a few posts back. I was talking to their next door neighbour (semi detached) the other night. They've been there 6 weeks now and he's gone out of his mind.

They stand outside smoking and throw their buts into his drive.

Children have tricycles, scooters and all sorts of debris strewn around the small estate making it very difficult for vehicles to come in and out.

6 weeks of rubbish (2 kids in nappies) out the back and the pit bull has the bags ripped to bits.

All sorts of unsavoury characters calling from town to walk their dogs in the rural area. Casing joints no doubt.

I met that man again yesterday. He told me the Armed response unit are regularly coming in and doing a U turn. What the f*ck are the council thinking about? I know several people from there and it's not them the guards are watching.

At least the guards are watching. But they can't be there 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

All their short of now is jacuzzis for the horses apparently , Tipperary county council will have to increase local property tax for everyone else to pay for all the extras needed for travellers houses and stables .

Sure aren't they entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Jesus I remember this like twas yesterday. The sister had been called as a witness to a murder trial.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/trial-told-murder-accused-tried-to-rape-sister-1.1006603

2 brothers. One hacked the mans jaw off with a slash hook in the back of the van while the other one drove the around in circles. His mangled body was dumped outside the house where his young (think he was only 4 or something). Grizzly stuff. 2005 it happened.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/kerry-man-gets-six-years-for-assault-1.1262279

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Not a major incident, but I have had a bit of trouble with a few kids congregating on the stairways of my apartment block. I've asked them to clear off on numerous occasions. They know the code to the building so it's difficult to keep them out.

I arrived home yesterday evening and told them to get out as they were trespassing. They are only kids, no big deal, and they shuffled off. Except for one lad. He ballsed up and refused to leave and started pretending to tie his shoe laces. He started behaving as if he was inviting me to lay a hand on him.

I didn't rise to the bait and walked him out of the building and advised that I would be calling the Garda and visiting their parents if they entered the building again.

So what's this got to do with travellers? Well, I since discovered that he is from a traveller family who have moved into the estate.

It's only a small story of how our interactions with travellers are nearly almost negative. He is just a 13 year old kid, but his attitude and behaviour was shocking. Very very aggressive and absolutely no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Dante7 wrote: »
    Not a major incident, but I have had a bit of trouble with a few kids congregating on the stairways of my apartment block. I've asked them to clear off on numerous occasions. They know the code to the building so it's difficult to keep them out.

I arrived home yesterday evening and told them to get out as they were trespassing. They are only kids, no big deal, and they shuffled off. Except for one lad. He ballsed up and refused to leave and started pretending to tie his shoe laces. He started behaving as if he was inviting me to lay a hand on him.

I didn't rise to the bait and walked him out of the building and advised that I would be calling the Garda and visiting their parents if they entered the building again.

So what's this got to do with travellers? Well, I since discovered that he is from a traveller family who have moved into the estate.

It's only a small story of how our interactions with travellers are nearly almost negative. He is just a 13 year old kid, but his attitude and behaviour was shocking. Very very aggressive and absolutely no respect.

One thing my father told me was never get into an argument with a traveler. I'd advise you to avoid situations like the one you just described. There is little reason to these people. If they feel that they've been wronged there's hell to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

One thing my father told me was never get into an argument with a traveler. I'd advise you to avoid situations like the one you just described. There is little reason to these people. If they feel that they've been wronged there's hell to pay.

It also kinda explains my daughter's stolen bike and scooter in the last few months from a common courtyard, where she had previously left them unlocked for four years.

But it was the aggressiveness of the kid that shocked me. He was practically putting it up to me. I have to admit, I was very tempted to knock him the fxuk out. That wouldn't have ended well, but as it stands I have nothing to worry about with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Dante7 wrote:
    But it was the aggressiveness of the kid that shocked me. He was practically putting it up to me. I have to admit, I was very tempted to knock him the fxuk out. That wouldn't have ended well, but as it stands I have nothing to worry about with them.

I'd be very very very careful if I were you. I've dealt with travelers for years unfortunately. It was very silly of you to engage with them. The kids have no respect for anyone's property and the adults only negotiate through threats and violence. Do not make yourself a potential target anymore.
    Smart thing to do is just quietly arrange to get the code changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

tuxy wrote: »

First on the dance floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

As unpleasant as that was for you, count yourself lucky as that's an exceptionally mild encounter by standards here, if you go out to 13 year olds here (traveller or otherwise) they're guaranteed to square up to you.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    First on the dance floor.

Was he on the Late Late Show because he was a gay traveller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Was he on the Late Late Show because he was a gay traveller?

Gay traveller or not, he is certainly a scumbag going on like that on the internet (or anywhere else for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It also kinda explains my daughter's stolen bike and scooter in the last few months from a common courtyard, where she had previously left them unlocked for four years.

Not the kids I'd be worried about necessarily. It's the presumably large extended family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Capture.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah, shur, I’ve no doubt that one will be donated. I thought that she’s in rented accommodation. Not sure that her landlord would be too happy with alterations being made to his house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah, shur, I’ve no doubt that one will be donated. I thought that she’s in rented accommodation. Not sure that her landlord would be too happy with alterations being made to his house.

I'm fairly sure she has her forever home by now. That stunt at the Garda station did the job.

I'm fairly sure she has her forever home by now. That stunt at the Garda station did the job.

I thought that she only got a 3 bedroom rental house? Would her landlord allow changes be made? Most places you cannot even hang a picture!

She got a 3 bed in Tallaght. Not sure on exactly how or what the terms are but I'm sure she can pay for any damage caused with the cash her mother left her. Not rent though, god no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She got a 3 bed in Tallaght. Not sure on exactly how or what the terms are but I'm sure she can pay for any damage caused with the cash her mother left her. Not rent though, god no.

Was it a council house? It's not like she is going to tell the council or a landlord about it and I can't see anyone stopping her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Was it a council house? It's not like she is going to tell the council or a landlord about it and I can't see anyone stopping her.

She got a 4-bedroom council house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Ireland 2019. Where dante7 has been advised to stay away from 13 year old aggressive traveller boy. Boy who is obviously above the law and can go on to any premises he feels like. Boy who can steal dante7 young childrens bikes etc. Biy who will wait in the premises for dante7 when he enters his home. This is bloody ridiculous. Get neighbours together and inform the police. Little scum bag needs a good slap.

Not sure, T. Details are exactly forthcoming on it.

She wouldn't give 2 sh*tes anyway and as you say, no one is going to stop her. Your average Joe, yes...her, no.

Ireland 2019. Where dante7 has been advised to stay away from 13 year old aggressive traveller boy. Boy who is obviously above the law and can go on to any premises he feels like. Boy who can steal dante7 young childrens bikes etc. Biy who will wait in the premises for dante7 when he enters his home. This is bloody ridiculous. Get neighbours together and inform the police. Little scum bag needs a good slap.

No doubt he's well used to a slap, its decent parents he needs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

"Dirty financers"

I often wondered what derogatory terms were used when describing settled folk.

Learn something new every day.

xzanti wrote: »
    "Dirty financers"

I often wondered what derogatory terms were used when describing settled folk.

Learn something new every day.

As in, we finance their lifestyle? Could be a term of endearment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

She got a 4-bedroom council house

Privately bought by the council for over 400k i may add .

That does hurt a bit. Physically. Right in the gut.

That is just horrendous. She has over 30 convictions and is rewarded like a King for it.

This country is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone know where Maggie's gaf is?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement