Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Now now we have to be mindful of their 'unique culture' and bend over backwards to facilitate it at all costs

Exactly! Lets make them a bespoke set of laws while we're at it. Apparently our current laws hold no water for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'm sure they would find ways to break those too after a while lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I was in a circle K today when a car pulls up , 3 traveller teens pop in and start taking chocolate , ice cream and other snacks then just stroll back out and into the car and off they go .. I was next at the till and we were just looking at this go on , the lad behind the counter tells me that this happens about twice a week and he’s just instructed to take down the reg. He said the cops must do nothing cause it’s been going on for months now !! Vermin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hawkelady wrote: »
    I was in a circle K today when a car pulls up , 3 traveller teens pop in and start taking chocolate , ice cream and other snacks then just stroll back out and into the car and off they go .. I was next at the till and we were just looking at this go on , the lad behind the counter tells me that this happens about twice a week and he’s just instructed to take down the reg. He said the cops must do nothing cause it’s been going on for months now !! Vermin

Wonder if traveller theft insurance is now a thing for traders?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

How is this vile allowed to continue, nothing but open racist hatred of travellers,
    I know some kind caring traveling families imagine the hurt they feel reading these comments.
    Travelers contribute greatly to Irish society through sport music and business.
    The are committed to their families and their faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

hawkelady wrote: »

The company should put the CCTV up on social media and see what response it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Not being contrarian but needed work done to my house, brick repointing, chimney capping, guttering, etc, bloke came round to do the job, his origins only sank in after mulling over his accent, surname and connection to a large Midlands town, anyway, him and his colleagues were perfect gentlemen, didn't overcharge and did a sterling job. They can't all be the spawn of Satan.

dd973 wrote: »
    Not being contrarian but needed work done to my house, brick repointing, chimney capping, guttering, etc, bloke came round to do the job, his origins only sank in after mulling over his accent, surname and connection to a large Midlands town, anyway, him and his colleagues were perfect gentlemen, didn't overcharge and did a sterling job. They can't all be the spawn of Satan.
    Your experience is the same interactions people have everyday with 99% of Travelers.
    For some reason people use the bad apple's or the 1% of Travelers to discredit all Travelers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

How is this vile allowed to continue, nothing but open racist hatred of travellers,
    I know some kind caring traveling families imagine the hurt they feel reading these comments.
    Travelers contribute greatly to Irish society through sport music and business.
    The are committed to their families and their faith

I've spotted others accusing you of being a WUM on Boards.

Add me to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Your experience is the same interactions people have everyday with 99% of Travelers.
    For some reason people use the bad apple's or the 1% of Travelers to discredit all Travelers

Have you got a source for this 99% versus 1% nonsense?

#notalltravellers

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

#notalltravellers

Yes personal experience and that of most of my family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Funny. I have personal experience and find it's the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Charles your stories are hilarious.... I spat out my tea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Right. So why are they so over-represented in prisons then? Is it that they are no good at committing crime and keep getting caught?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Right. So why are they so over-represented in prisons then? Is it that they are no good at committing crime and keep getting caught?

Same reason in America prisons are full of African Americans, systemic racism

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Or they just commit more crime

But you can't lock someone up if they haven't committed a crime. So how does such a high percentage of travellers get caught committing crimes?

After all it was you who claimed 99% are decent and its the 1% who drag them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

fullstop wrote: »

#notalltravellers

Its closer to 1% vs 99%.

Or they just commit more crime

Black people commit more crimes that white people, definition of stereotypical racism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Complete and utter bollocks man. How can you be so ignorant to absolute facts.

• Advertisement

Complete and utter bollocks man. How can you be so ignorant to absolute facts.

Which facts?
    Look all over the world, indigenous and marginalized people are over represented in prisons.

Which facts?
    Look all over the world, indigenous and marginalized people are over represented in prisons.

Looking at the Anglo bank trials, white collar workers are under represented in prisons.

Which facts?

If you don't commit a crime you don't get locked up. These people are criminals. Anyone who has been caught enough times to warrant a prison sentence is a criminal.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you don't commit a crime you don't get locked up. These people are criminals. Anyone who has been caught enough times to warrant a prison sentence is a criminal.

Or targeted systemic police profiling

Or targeted systemic police profiling

Which is necessary to stop the marauding traveller gangs terrorising the countryside.

You might be interested in following broadcaster pat o mahony on twitter, he regularly accuses the guards of racial profiling and how this explains the high incarceration rate amongst the traveller community

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You might be interested in following broadcaster pat o mahony on twitter, he regularly accuses the guards of racial profiling and how this explains the high incarceration rate amongst the traveller community

Happens all over the work , marginalised ethnic minorities forced into poverty

Happens all over the work , marginalised ethnic minorities forced into poverty

O mahony seems convinced that this is behind the high imprisonment rates

If you can't trust a liberal from the world of broadcasting, who can you trust

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

So should the guards not bother chasing down these criminals because it would upset Mr O Mahony

• Advertisement

O mahony seems convinced that this is behind the high imprisonment rates

If you can't trust a liberal from the world of broadcasting, who can you trust

Well I'd be inclined to believe that.
    How else when we see it replicated with indigenous people all over the world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement