Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC On Field Gossip & Rumour Thread 2017 Mod Note in OP(Updated 14/08)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

****ing sick already of these high balls.

What is it with McCoist that he persists in this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Des wrote: »
    no it's not a valid point.

Today Rangers fans sang disgusting songs, it was pretty much justified by a Rangers fan by saying "yeah well Celtic fans have done it too".

so what if every other clubs fans did it? Berwick Rangers fans didn't do it today, Celtic fans didn't do it yesterday.

Rangers fans did it today.

Tbf, the fan that replied didn't condone those songs in anyway, and seemed as disgusted by them as any other rational minded person

Given the history of Rangers, that element will never be silenced and do infact embody the view others have of that club. Its what they represent to many

Eirebear wrote: »
    What was sung today? Couldnt hear the game.

TBB and the famine song. They were clear as day light. I wouldn't recognise any others

There was as many joining in them as there were boucy bouncy, Ally McCoists blue & white army etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

LiamoSail wrote: »
    TBB and the famine song.

Morons.

McCoist very critical of his own side on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tbf, the fan that replied didn't condone those songs in anyway, and seemed as disgusted by them as any other rational minded person

Given the history of Rangers, that element will never be silenced and do infact embody the view others have of that club. Its what they represent to many

Yes he did and in fairness he's quite consistent in this but he cant resist a dig at celtic all the same

Rightly so, their away form is woeful - we're paying a lot of money for a standard of player who should be able to handle 3rd division teams, no matter how much they raise their game.

However, we are still needing time to gel - the greek lad only signed yesterday, Edmilson was making his debut and Perry still has a lot to learn. it's understandable that our back four struggled a bit today. Especially when you consider the lack of any pre-season at all.

I think as the season progresses, and we've visited all of the away grounds once we should be able to start getting over what seems to be a mental block at the minute.

Right now though, we need to toughen up and start fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

McCoist has claimed that bringing in more players is "a must". Given the fact that he has a squad playing in D3 which would not be out of place in the SPL surely the fact that he has claimed needing even more players says more about his own ability than the quality of the panel currently available to him which is already on a wage bill absolutely dwarfing that of any of the opposition he has to beat.

McCoist has claimed that bringing in more players is "a must". Given the fact that he has a squad playing in D3 which would not be out of place in the SPL surely the fact that he has claimed needing even more players says more about his own ability than the quality of the panel currently available to him which is already on a wage bill absolutely dwarfing that of any of the opposition he has to beat.

I would suggest that his comments were more aimed at giving the players who are there a kick up the backside.

The signings of Faure, Cribari and Agriyau have definetly shored us up a bit at the back. But we're still short in midfield imo.

McCulloch won't be able to keep going all season imo, and while McKay and MacCleod have started the season well - they are both vastly inexperienced and will find certain games a struggle.
    MacCleod today is the perfect example of that.

Injuries to Black and Shiels would leave us very short in that area imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Des wrote: »
    no it's not a valid point.

Today Rangers fans sang disgusting songs, it was pretty much justified by a Rangers fan by saying "yeah well Celtic fans have done it too".

so what if every other clubs fans did it? Berwick Rangers fans didn't do it today, Celtic fans didn't do it yesterday.

Rangers fans did it today.

Sang disgusting songs, drama queen. TBB was sang in the first five minutes and not heard again, the famine song was not sang once, there is another song with the same tune though.

I wonder how clean the Celtic away support's singing was yesterday, any IRA chants in there,? I'm not one for sitting listening out for a song at a football match.

Its great this, the song stuff took a back seat while administration and everything else was going on, now that isn't there to beat us with the song stuff comes back.

No wonder, it was awful.

I didn't hear a single of those songs.

I have to admit, I didn't see the entire game though but it would surprise me if it was as bad as made out here.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

I have to admit, I didn't see the entire game though but it would surprise me if it was as bad as made out here.

Literally once in the first five minutes the billy boys was sang, nothing after that. But as usual we're all bad people and the only people ever to sing a bad song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

What The Builder said two posts up was it TBB was sung in the first five minutes and TFS not at all

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Sang disgusting songs, drama queen. TBB was sang in the first five minutes and not heard again, the famine song was not sang once, there is another song with the same tune though.

Until about 25 minutes later

As for the famine song, it may have been another with the same tune. You know the song book better then me, so I may have been mistaken. I did think it was the famine song though
    I wonder how clean the Celtic away support's singing was yesterday, any IRA chants in there,? I'm not one for sitting listening out for a song at a football match.

You couldn't but hear what was being sung earlier such was the atmosphere. As for Celtic yesterday, I'd imagine there were of course IRA songs sung. I don't see how this is relevant though. I was at a memorial last week of a former member of the IRA, Republican songs were played. There's nothing wrong with that
    Its great this, the song stuff took a back seat while administration and everything else was going on, now that isn't there to beat us with the song stuff comes back.

You keep bringing it on yourself, its not other people. Rangers are slated for having previously had a sectarian employment policy. This is the fault of Rangers for having that policy

Rangers were slated over the admin/liquidation business. This is the fault of Rangers for cheating the tax man over such a prolonged period of time

Rangers are today being slated over their fans sectarian and xenophobic chanting. This is because a large portion of their fans today sang sectarian and xenophobic songs

Any criticism, while you may feel it to be over the top or overly harsh stems from the actions of your club and its fans. Its not being used as a stick to beat you with, its simply others pointing out the true colours of those involved

• Advertisement

As for the famine song, it may have been another with the same tune. You know the song book better then me, so I may have been mistaken. I did think it was the famine song though

You couldn't but hear what was being sung earlier such was the atmosphere. As for Celtic yesterday, I'd imagine there were of course IRA songs sung. I don't see how this is relevant though. I was at a memorial last week of a former member of the IRA, Republican songs were played. There's nothing wrong with that

You keep bringing it on yourself, its not other people. Rangers are slated for having previously had a sectarian employment policy. This is the fault of Rangers for having that policy

Rangers were slated over the admin/liquidation business. This is the fault of Rangers for cheating the tax man over such a prolonged period of time

Rangers are today being slated over their fans sectarian and xenophobic chanting. This is because a large portion of their fans today sang sectarian and xenophobic songs

Any criticism, while you may feel it to be over the top or overly harsh stems from the actions of your club and its fans. Its not being used as a stick to beat you with, its simply others pointing out the true colours of those involved

There may be nothing wrong with you being at a memorial for an IRA man thats your personal business but here is no place for it in Scottish football

I never heard TBB anytime after the first five minutes and can assure you it was not TFS I would say if it was I can assure you

So I take it LiamoSail is fully aware of the real meaning of the word Fenian ?

And not that 'It's a term used against Catholics' bollocks.

I brought it up, I only watched the first half.

TBB was clear as daylight at the start, particularly when the line ups were shown on screen. It was a fairly prolonged chant too, as opposed to a few lines. It wasn't as loud again, but it was certainly sang again.

Regarding TFS. As I said in the above post, I may have been mistaken over that. It certainly had the same tune as TFS, but perhaps those who know the regular chants better then me will know better

I'd also like to point out that I'm not complaining about the chants, just pointing them out for what they are

I brought it up, I only watched the first half.

TBB was clear as daylight at the start, particularly when the line ups were shown on screen. It was a fairly prolonged chant too, as opposed to a few lines. It wasn't as loud again, but it was certainly sang again.

Regarding TFS. As I said in the above post, I may have been mistaken over that. It certainly had the same tune as TFS, but perhaps those who know the regular chants better then me will know better

I'd also like to point out that I'm not complaining about the chants, just pointing them out for what they are

Bollox if your not complaining you shouldn't have brought them up I find that a very lame thing to say in all honesty.

So lets see to sumarise you think its ok to sing songs in support of a terrorist organisation that killed many innocents at a Scottish football game But when people sing about *Fenians* you get upset

Have to say I never heard it more than once.

It was.

Well yes, it is relevant. What connection do terrorists have with Celtic Football club, Scottish football, or any football for that matter? But of course, I'm sure nothing that was sang had anything to do with the provo's :rolleyes:

Here we go with this again. That was never denied, ended a long time ago and is still used to have a wee dig. I thought it was whats happening today that matters? Its still funny how we're allowed to be reminded constantly of things that happened in our past.

Craig Whyte through Rangers cheating the taxman out of nine months PAYE was wrong, yes.

Sectarian and Xenophobic? While I don't condone TBB, the reaction to it is a bit OTT.

Not a stick to beat us with, fair enough, I hope other Celtic fans remember that when the shoe is on the other foot regarding pointing out the true colours of people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

What The Builder said two posts up was it TBB was sung in the first five minutes and TFS not at all
    So anything sang in the first 5 minutes is ok now?? Anyways about the football, super ally would want to get things moving in the right direction. Ye have a lower half spl standard team so the extra quality will come good but for the cups ye need to pick up the standard

bobmalooka wrote: »
    So anything sang in the first 5 minutes is ok now?? Anyways about the football, super ally would want to get things moving in the right direction. Ye have a lower half spl standard team so the extra quality will come good but for the cups ye need to pick up the standard

Really this is pathetic I condemned the singing earlier on in the thread you obviously only read the posts you want try reading them all

Nobody said it was, but its the reaction to one song being sang at the start of the game thats OTT.

We might have well as chanted "murder all catholics" for 90 minutes the way some people go on about our fans.

There may be nothing wrong with you being at a memorial for an IRA man thats your personal business but here is no place for it in Scottish football

I never heard TBB anytime after the first five minutes and can assure you it was not TFS I would say if it was I can assure you

I'll take your word for it regarding TFS. As for politics and football, I think they're inherintly linked when it comes to Celtic and Rangers, as fans of both link their heritage with their club
    So I take it LiamoSail is fully aware of the real meaning of the word Fenian ?

And not that 'It's a term used against Catholics' bollocks.

I'm pretty sure it means innocent Catholic babies and kittens
    Have to say I never heard it more than once.

It definitely got a few airings
    It was.

As above, I'll take your word for it. Your better placed to judge then me
    Well yes, it is relevant. What connection do terrorists have with Celtic Football club, Scottish football, or any football for that matter? But of course, I'm sure nothing that was sang had anything to do with the provo's :rolleyes:

One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter and all that. It was Michael Collins memorial, one of the founders of modern Ireland. I would argue that history and culture of Irish decedents is relevant to those decedents. I wouldn't condone any chanting relating to Provisional IRA activities, particularly those conducted when after the mid seventies when Catholics were allowed a full say at the ballot box
    Here we go with this again. That was never denied, ended a long time ago and is still used to have a wee dig. I thought it was whats happening today that matters? Its still funny how we're allowed to be reminded constantly of things that happened in our past.

Of course it is, as the sentiment still prevails among fractions of your support
    Craig Whyte through Rangers cheating the taxman out of nine months PAYE was wrong, yes.

Perhaps this is a discussion better explorer when the verdict of the other thing is announced
    Sectarian and Xenophobic? While I don't condone TBB, the reaction to it is a bit OTT.

The xenophobic quote related to TFS
    Not a stick to beat us with, fair enough, I hope other Celtic fans remember that when the shoe is on the other foot regarding pointing out the true colours of people involved.

Point away. I'm very much of the belief that while I may disagree with the politics of others, they have every right to free speech

I'll take your word for it regarding TFS. As for politics and football, I think they're inherintly linked when it comes to Celtic and Rangers, as fans of both link their heritage with their club

I'm pretty sure it means innocent Catholic babies and kittens

It definitely got a few airings

As above, I'll take your word for it. Your better placed to judge then me

One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter and all that. It was Michael Collins memorial, one of the founders of modern Ireland. I would argue that history and culture of Irish decedents is relevant to those decedents. I wouldn't condone any chanting relating to Provisional IRA activities, particularly those conducted when after the mid seventies when Catholics were allowed a full say at the ballot box

Of course it is, as the sentiment still prevails among fractions of your support

Perhaps this is a discussion better explorer when the verdict of the other thing is announced

The xenophobic quote related to TFS

Point away. I'm very much of the belief that while I may disagree with the politics of others, they have every right to free speech

Sorry it really comes down to people of both supports are sick to the back teeth with songs that have nothing to to with Scottish football. We want the morons who won't stop sing these songs out. People can celebrate their culture if they wish without singing songs that more and more of the support are finding offensive.

I also think if you want to talk about singing or politics you find another thread this thread is supposed to be about football

Anyway, two big home games now to get us back on track. Falkirk at home in the league cup on Thursday 7.45pm, Elgin at home on Sunday at 4.30pm.

I hope we have a new face or two in by then, I think we need a striker. It's time we got a mostly settled 11, obviously there will be a change here or there but we need to get a settled team. A whole new back four again today didn't help, two of them out of position.

How much confidence have you's in Ally McCoist as a manager?

I'm not suggesting a change, there'd obviously be uproar, but how much confidence do you have in his ability?

I'm not suggesting a change, there'd obviously be uproar, but how much confidence do you have in his ability?

He's had a hell of a lot to deal with the last year. He's still learning, and I think if we stick by him for the next few years he'll learn more than ever and be in a good position when we get back to the top.

He needs to really get the players motivated for away games, thats his biggest challenge, there was a huge difference in attitude today from last week at Ibrox, with the same set of players.

No there was no IRA chants at the celtic game seeing as you asked. But of course you would ask wouldnt you, deflect deflect deflect

No there was no IRA chants at the celtic game seeing as you asked. But of course you would ask wouldnt you, deflect deflect deflect

Sorry we're discussing football here, kindly take your boring repetitive nonsense to another thread.

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest. I think he has to start being his own man and come out from WS's shadow. To often you could be forgiven for thinking WS was still in charge, and the pity is there has been a few games where he has played his formations and we have played well.
    He will get some time because he has been a rock through all the problems but he has to start showing his worth.
    The players also have to look at themselves though as to many of them seem to think they can just turn up and its job done. They have to remember to every player in the third division it is a cup final when we play them also a lot of younger ones will be seeing it as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window

Anyway, two big home games now to get us back on track. Falkirk at home in the league cup on Thursday 7.45pm, Elgin at home on Sunday at 4.30pm.

I hope we have a new face or two in by then, I think we need a striker. It's time we got a mostly settled 11, obviously there will be a change here or there but we need to get a settled team. A whole new back four again today didn't help, two of them out of position.

Big games :D

Sorry we're discussing football here, kindly take your boring repetitive nonsense to another thread.

You asked a question an i answered it so whats your problem? And dont ****ing tell me where to post, you posted about songs yourself and i merely replied

Big games :D

Laugh away remember we are a humble third division club so of course they are big games ;)

He's had a hell of a lot to deal with the last year. He's still learning, and I think if we stick by him for the next few years he'll learn more than ever and be in a good position when we get back to the top.

He needs to really get the players motivated for away games, thats his biggest challenge, there was a huge difference in attitude today from last week at Ibrox, with the same set of players.

I'd have thought that similar to Neil Lennon, one of McCoist's primary attributes at this stage of his managerial career would be his ability to motivate the players.

As with Lennon, I think McCoist has a lot to prove. He had a great run in the early part of last season when Celtic were abysmal, just as Lennon did when Rangers were. Obviously his side completely collapsed as the season progressed, but in the wider context of what was happening the club , this can't be solely attributed to a poor managerial performance

I genuinely think that in the context of his development as a Manager, the few seasons in the lower leagues coupled with the transfer embargo will be beneficial to him

He'll have to focus on the young players coming through the ranks when the embargo really starts to bite. This in turn should see him place a greater emphasis on their development. He'll also have to work with what he has, and so in terms of tactics he may have to change things around far more often then another manager who can dip into the market, again adding to his experience and developing different styles as a manager

Finally, when he does return to the SPL, he'll have a side with a winning mentality and if he can nurture that, he should be able produce a group stronger then the sum of the parts

Like Lennon, I think he still has a lot to prove, and again, like Lennon he'll have adequate opportunity to do this as the fans will give him time, but both need to deliver the title at a minimum this year, though both should do so with ease

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Eirebear wrote: »
    I would suggest that his comments were more aimed at giving the players who are there a kick up the backside.

The signings of Faure, Cribari and Agriyau have definetly shored us up a bit at the back. But we're still short in midfield imo.

McCulloch won't be able to keep going all season imo, and while McKay and MacCleod have started the season well - they are both vastly inexperienced and will find certain games a struggle.
    MacCleod today is the perfect example of that.

Injuries to Black and Shiels would leave us very short in that area imo.

Yes but you are a 3rd Division team playing against other 3rd Division teams of far inferior quality. An inexperienced Paul Hartley won the 3rd Division last season with a smaller squad than McCoist has now with 4 games to spare (beating Elgin City 8-1 to clinch it, Elgin City who next Sunday has just been described as a big game for The Rangers)

Hartley had to deal with injuries just like every manager in that division, for McCoist to say his relatively large squad needs even more players just shows him up tbh. Berwick Rangers today has a first team squad of 20 players, Montrose 16, The Rangers currently have the biggest first team squad in the league with 26 players and a high quality youth development facility yet McCoist doesn't feel this is enough for him. By the way Paul Hartley had a first team squad of one player (yes, one!) when he took over as the previous players all left after relegation so Hartley had a much tougher job in building a squad than McCoist.

He is talking nonsense by saying that more players are essential, a half decent manager would make do with a large squad of SPL quality and some international quality players and not go complaining to the press that he needs more.

Yes but you are a 3rd Division team playing against other 3rd Division teams of far inferior quality. An inexperienced Paul Hartley won the 3rd Division last season with a smaller squad than McCoist has now with 4 games to spare (beating Elgin City 8-1 to clinch it, Elgin City who next Sunday has just been described as a big game for The Rangers)

Hartley had to deal with injuries just like every manager in that division, for McCoist to say his relatively large squad needs even more players just shows him up tbh. Berwick Rangers today has a first team squad of 20 players, Montrose 16, The Rangers currently have the biggest first team squad in the league with 26 players and a high quality youth development facility yet McCoist doesn't feel this is enough for him.

He is talking nonsense by saying that more players are essential, a half decent manager would make do with a large squad of SPL quality and some international quality players and not go complaining to the press that he needs more.

He is not complaining he is stating a fact Rangers fans can see it we need at least four new players remember these players have to do us 18 months so don't compare it with what anyone else has done its a totally different situation

Yeah our first team squad is of 26, but the majority of them have never seen first team football at any level until this season. McLeod, McKay, Naismith, Crawford, Hegarty, Mitchell, Naismith, Gallacher, Witkorski are all very young. Add to that Perry and Faure who have very little experience and it's a very small squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

This wouldn't be the sevco bus that broke down on the way home from today's game? Surely not
    26082012164526.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

What was the average age of the team out there today?

What was the average age of the team out there today?

Starting Line Up
    Alexander - 33
    Perry - 22
    Bocanegra - 33
    Cribari - 32
    Argyriou - 24
    Little - 23
    Black - 27
    McCulloch - 34
    MacCleod - 18
    McKay - 17
    Sandaza - 27

Average Age 26.3

Subs
    Kyle (For Sandaza) -31
    Naismith (For McCleod) - 20
    Crawford (For McKay) - 19

Ave Age at end of game - 27.1

Not Used

Gallacher - 23
    Faure - 21

Ave Age of travelling squad - 25.2

Not bad, when you consider that there is 5 31+ players in that squad.
    It doesn't tell the whole story either imo.

When you look at the remainder of the first team squad.
    (As listed on the official site minus Edu.)
    Broadfoot - 28
    Wallace - 25
    Hegarty - 19
    Cole - 20
    Hutton - 21
    Mitchell - 20
    Wiktorski - 19
    Shiels - 27
    Hemmings - 21

Average age of squad - 24.2

Just seen Berwick's disallowed goal, incredible decision. What are your thoughts on it? Oh and im not implying any conspiracy either

Just seen Berwick's disallowed goal, incredible decision. What are your thoughts on it? Oh and im not implying any conspiracy either

I don't see what the ref seen wrong with it but to be honest if you thought the Refs in the SPL were bad they are 50 times worse in the third division.
    This one had a howler of a game the Berwick boy should have walked for his tackle on Black and there were more decisions each way that i couldn't fathom

This wouldn't be the sevco bus that broke down on the way home from today's game? Surely not
    26082012164526.jpg

Wouldn't know don't know of anyone called sevco

This one had a howler of a game the Berwick boy should have walked for his tackle on Black and there were more decisions each way that i couldn't fathom

While I agree that the Berwick lad should have walked for that tackle, I'm not sure whether this was down to the referee's poor judgement of the tackle, or down to that mentality prevalent among a majority of referee's whereby you can't get a straight red for a tackle in the opening five to ten minutes

• Advertisement

Should have stood, and Berwick deserved to win this.

T
    26082012164526.jpg

Ironically, if it were any other Third Division side, they'd probably have had a Mechanic in the squad that could have sorted it out

Perhaps that's what Ally was getting at yesterday in his strengthening the squad comments?

Forres Mechanics in the cup, ****.

Hoped to avoid them :(

edit:
    Ironically, if it were any other Third Division side, they'd probably have had a Mechanic in the squad that could have sorted it out

Perhaps that's what Ally was getting at yesterday in his strengthening the squad comments?

You had to go and jinx the draw, didn't you ? :pac:

Forres Mechanics in the cup, ****.

Hoped to avoid them :(

edit:

You had to go and jinx the draw, didn't you ? :pac:

That's a handy draw. You can drive to the match and get the bus serviced in one trip :pac:

While I agree that the Berwick lad should have walked for that tackle, I'm not sure whether this was down to the referee's poor judgement of the tackle, or down to that mentality prevalent among a majority of referee's whereby you can't get a straight red for a tackle in the opening five to ten minutes

Which ever it was it was wrong I hate as you put it this mentality that someone can't get a red in the first five minutes. If it deserves a red then it should be a red

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement