Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

"More than 200 jobs are to go at a manufacturing plant in Tralee, Co Kerry.
    Workers at BorgWarner are being briefed by management at meetings this afternoon that manufacturing will cease there by the end of the year and the plant will be shut down by the end of March next year."

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0728/1156039-kerry-job-losses/

Very sorry to hear this news, a lot of families affected by a business like that closing it's doors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

diego_b wrote: »
    "More than 200 jobs are to go at a manufacturing plant in Tralee, Co Kerry.
    Workers at BorgWarner are being briefed by management at meetings this afternoon that manufacturing will cease there by the end of the year and the plant will be shut down by the end of March next year."

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0728/1156039-kerry-job-losses/

Very sorry to hear this news, a lot of families affected by a business like that closing it's doors.

Awful news. Very hard for the staff. And awful to see a business close after 30 years in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I need to find a Peace Commissioner or Notary Public in Tralee to witness the signing of a Garda vetting form within next 5 working days. Can someone point me in the right direction? I assume they charge for this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Adiboo wrote: »
    I need to find a Peace Commissioner or Notary Public in Tralee to witness the signing of a Garda vetting form within next 5 working days. Can someone point me in the right direction? I assume they charge for this service?

I'd say if you ring the Garda station they'll be able to tell you who your nearest Peace Commissioner is, as far as I know they don't charge.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭StrikingOut

Try Jim Finucane. He has an auctioneers office in Edward Street. Also, I think someone in Dan Fitzgerald’s shop is a Peace Commissioner or a Commissioner of Oaths. I think a Commissioner will charge a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was driving down Basin View a few days ago and was wondering what the Brandon Court building has been used for the last few years? Do the Brandon still own it? Has it been vacant all this time? I noticed scaffolding up the front of it so maybe some work being done. Its ideal to be used for homelessness.

The Burger Shack has finally reopened!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Joe Hoare up in Connolly Park is one. Doesn't charge to the best of my knowledge. Signs warrants for the Guards but he told me that they rarely bother him anymore because he asks too many questions before signing a warrant. PC's sign warrants in the place of a District Court Judge if one is not readily available for the likes of search or arrest warrants.

The Guards should be able to give you a list of local PC's.

Not much social distancing to be seen inside Quinlans seafood on the mall when passing this afternoon. Tables and customers right up on top of each other.

I didn't think there were any tables & chairs inside Quinlans at the moment? There didn't seem to be any yesterday when I passed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Peace commissioners cannot charge a fee by law.

A commissioner of oaths or Notary public have additional powers are usually solicitors and charge. There are standard fees set by the law society for this afaik.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I didn't think there were any tables & chairs inside Quinlans at the moment? There didn't seem to be any yesterday when I passed by.

You could be right, I thought I saw a centre table along with their window stool seating. Either way it was jammers.

Thanks all re: peace commissioners. Tbh, I was fairly clueless as to what they did before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Thanks all re: peace commissioners. Tbh, I was fairly clueless as to what they did before today.

For for going off tangent. But how do you become one. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

adam88 wrote: »
    For for going off tangent. But how do you become one. ?

Generally your nominated to be one and would be appointed by the Minister for Justice following Garda Vetting and possibly an interview with local superintendent etc.

It’s an honorary position.

I got sorted for a Peace Commissioner today in Dan Fitzgeralds on the Mall. Might be helpful to others in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

How do I get to Scotias Glen?

Its been years since I was up there, but I know its up Ballyard/Clahane and into the Slieve Mish Mountain. But actual directions I can't remember!

Put it into Google maps and it should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Drive past the entrance to the aquadome towards the rugby club, pass the entrance to the rugby club. Keep going to the T junction. Turn left and immediately turn right. You'll see a brown signpost for it about 3 miles along the road.
    Very very narrow road so be extremely careful.

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Drive past the entrance to the aquadome towards the rugby club, pass the entrance to the rugby club. Keep going to the T junction. Turn left and immediately turn right. You'll see a brown signpost for it about 3 miles along the road.

Thanks! I grew up in Ballyard and I couldn't even remember how to get there despite being up there many times! I actually haven't been up that way in so long, I must go up there sometime. I Always loved cycling up there as kids. We used to go to a lovely little area where there was a stream and have picnics! Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Best way I've found it is to find the lane that heads towards the aerials that overlook Tralee. It's about a quarter of the way up.

• Advertisement

Is it up "Short Mountain" way or am I in the wrong area?

Is it up "Short Mountain" way or am I in the wrong area?

Yes I think that's what its referred to.

fuerte1976 wrote: »

Thanks. What's parking like

I don't think there is parking, unless you park up on side of road or go up to the viewing point carpark and walk back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

What's the story with this new city of 50000 Hong Kong people that they are thinking of building in Kerry? Any truth to it? Seems a bit farfetched to me.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think there is parking, unless you park up on side of road or go up to the viewing point carpark and walk back down.

Viewing point? I'm a blow in. Can you enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

see the masts on mountain top.get up there.you will find two viewing points/car parks on either side of roadway .one looks north over tralee/fenit/traleebay.the other looks south over castlemaine/mplltown/killorglin/dingle bay.on your way up to masts you will see sign for scotias grave.have good walking boots.bit rough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The viewing point at the top of the Short mountain road. It’s a good walk back down to Scotias Grave though. You might get a spot on the side of the road past the entrance but can’t picture any myself. I was up there a few weeks ago in Runners. It’s fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I've parked on the road just up from the entrance to Scotias grave. It's tight but there is room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

Non existent, there are some wider spots on the road but not sure there would be enough room for emergency services if a car was pulled in there, I would say drive up past it, seem to remember a wider section where you may be able to park on the grass off the road.
    Viewing point at the top would be a good hike, probably too far

Advertisement