Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marmotte 2014........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

did my first marmotte about 5 years ago , had a 39x25 when i got to france and the shop in bourg had sold out of compact chainrings due to demand from irish and english had to do it on 39x27.... absolute nightmare.

anyway real reason im here... anybody fancy meeting up for an easy spin and coffee stop on the thursday or friday although thursday would be better. Eight of us going over, thought it might be an idea if all the irish met up

• Registered Users Posts: 14 78rpm

Hi wexandproud
    Myself and another guy are just arriving on the Thursday but I reckon it's worth getting to know a few faces even if we don't manage to link up for a cycle. We can sort closer to the time.
    If anyone doing the Orwell Randonee this Sat wants to say hello my entry email tells me that I'm race number 300. I'll be in a blue top on a white Giant. (This sounds like a dodgy dating site!)
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Happy to meet up, will be traveling from the UK and staying with Le Domestique Tour in Bourg d’Oisans, should be in the resort on Thursday late afternoon, I plan to put the bike together and take it for a spin up a few hairpins of the Alp to check everything including myself are in working order and have a beer or 2. Friday I will do a short flat spin probably with the LDT group but open to offers.
    EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

wexandproud - really good idea on the meet up and gives people a chance to meet others in advance of the day.

did a long run yesterday of 150k and 2600 metres that took in the following. started from laragh, rathdrum then onto glenmalure and up shay elliot, then down to the laragh road, turned around and back up the same road to shay elliot again, then back down to laragh and up the wicklow gap past glendalough , turned off about 2 k before blessington and up over a road L8358 (i think - it was a right hand turn) and then onto Lake Drive through Lacken and then up the sally gap and back down military road to Laragh and then back to roundwood and 2k outside turned up the r759(left turn) to the sally gap from the other side and then back down military road to laragh.

I plan to do this again on Friday 22nd and the Saturday of the June bank holiday weekend, if anyone has an interest in doing same or joining up. The next time, I am thinking of turning over to kippure mast after both sally gaps. I estimate this will add a further 20k approx. and 400m to the above figure.

I would aim to start about 930-10am as i have to travel from wexford.

I am also doing the following midweek runs on Tuesday or Wednesdays from the back of the Beacon Hotel in bracken road sandyford- which is
    sandyford - enniskerry- powers court - long hill - r759 sally gap(turn off 2k before roundwood) kippure down stocking lane - sandyford . this is about 65k with 1100 m.

question for 07lapierre and leroy42 please

you hear a lot of horror stories regarding blowouts etc of tyres due to the over heating as a result of the excessive braking on the down hill sections. From both your experiences of doing the event, is there any particular brake pads you have found beneficial? thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Today's effort....
    http://www.strava.com/activities/136966567

Cycled out to Wicklow..if there was a hill, we cycled up it!

A good days work..felt a lot better at the end than I thought I would. Nothing like the Marmotte, but a hard day none the less.

barryf42 wrote: »
    question for 07lapierre and leroy42 please

you hear a lot of horror stories regarding blowouts etc of tyres due to the over heating as a result of the excessive braking on the down hill sections. From both your experiences of doing the event, is there any particular brake pads you have found beneficial? thank you

If you have alu wheels with alu braking surface, your fine. Most blowouts are guys running full carbon rims with carbon braking surface.

Check your bike before the event and do make sure your brake pads are aligned properly.

I'd also suggest fitting new tyres,tubes and brake pads a few days before the Marmotte. You'll be amazed how quickly the pads wear down.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If you have alu wheels with alu braking surface, your fine. Most blowouts are guys running full carbon rims with carbon braking surface.

Check your bike before the event and do make sure your brake pads are aligned properly.

I'd also suggest fitting new tyres,tubes and brake pads a few days before the Marmotte. You'll be amazed how quickly the pads wear down.

Thanks - Will be using Campag Zonda wheel set and running Cont GP 4000S Tyres with a fresh set on before travelling out - along with a few pairs of pads as I am out there for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Second what 07Lapierre said. I used Zonda's last year and no issue. Its the carbon rims that cause the problems, as the descent off the Glandon is so long and does involve along of hard braking.

Whatever wheels/tyres and pads you are using make sure they are what you are used to so that is no surprises on the day.

The roads are better over there but don't go putting mad pressure in the tyres. A think I put something like 110psi and I normally (have about 100psi). But that a purely personal preference.

Don't get too worked up abou these type of details, it easy to waste loads of time and effort on these things. If your doing the Marmotte then you'll already have plenty of cycling done and when broken down the Marmotte is still just a cycle.

Hi all
    I'm curious to get a benchmark on where I'm at training wise if that's possible. I did the 140km Orwell Randonee yesterday in about 6hours 40 plus a 20min food stop, and I felt tired and stiff but in ok shape at the end. Is that a reasonable effort with 8 weeks training time left between now and the Marmotte?
    Barry42 - for your midweek spins what time are you thinking of starting?

• Advertisement

78rpm wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'm curious to get a benchmark on where I'm at training wise if that's possible. I did the 140km Orwell Randonee yesterday in about 6hours 40 plus a 20min food stop, and I felt tired and stiff but in ok shape at the end. Is that a reasonable effort with 8 weeks training time left between now and the Marmotte?
    Barry42 - for your midweek spins what time are you thinking of starting?

hi 78rpm
    this week is out as I'm in uk, but plan to do both tuesday 13th and wednesday14th next week. one of days will do the 65k trip leaving about 530-545pm and the other will do the stocking lane to kippure mast so can leave about 6 or later -

i am open on the times , as i stay in Dublin on these nights, so there is no rush on me.

ref your time on the OR - i did the mount leinster challenge 140k with 1850 metres of 2 weeks ago in 6 hours and the trip of 150k on Friday with 2600 plus metres in 7h 15m approx., with 2 20 minutes coffee stops in Laragh. The distance was was fine and I felt okay, but I was more concerned around envisaging the heat element that will be there on the day and how the fluid intake will be critical, when I was going up the Sally Gap at 120k with no water in my bottle.

plan is to do the 140k mount leinster for the next 2 saturdays (once on my own and then the actual slaney cycling one on the 17th) and then do 150-160k runs with 3000 metres in wicklow on the following 2 weekends, similar to fridays run with more climbs added on.
    these will take me from the 6-8 hours + in the saddle on each run and just build up the duration of same, as I know on the day I will be on the bike for a long time, in conditions i can't replicate here only mentally envisage

hi folks
    like i said in previous post , 8 of us from slaney cc doing the marmotte so make yourself known to us if ya want . some serious training been done by some of you guys, my longest spin so far has been about 120k will do 140k at the mlc and after that try and do two 160km before the middle of june. everything else is about 70 -80 k and just upping the intensity a bit in the next few weeks. im trying to do 10 -12 hours per week if i have time. i wont break any records but will get around [hopefully] . last time 3 yrs ago i missed gold standard for my age by about 10 mins and after 3 attempts [to much sight seeing and craic on the day] just going to get around this year. wish we had a few more hills down this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just quick input on hydration.

Bit skeptical of drinks company spin and I generally drink to thirst. Middle of winter would regularly use less than 1.5 l in a 100km plus spin.

Today in a very sunny and hilly 100km spin with circa 2,500m in Gran Canaria at 25C I drank 2L before getting on bike and 5 L on it.

Saying that I'd rather 5 degrees to 25 heat doesn't suit me but at 35C you'll need to drink a lot.( I wouldn't get on bike)

I just had water with table salt

Also by a mile two hardess events I did last year were Iveragh 200 and 40km Mount Leinster mtb event. But were on hot days. If your anyway like me don't underestimate heat.

Last thing. Enjoy it ye lucky wh0res!

Another day in Wicklow! Man that was tough. Legs were still feeling the effects of last Satuday and the climb from Manor Kilbride to Sally Gap was into a headwind the whole way!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/137777787

Next weekend ill be out with the club for 80k on Saturday only. Then its the Mount Leinster Challenge on the 17th! Lookin forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hardgrit

What type of gearing are people planning to use, or have used in the past? Up to a couple of weeks ago, did all my cycling with a triple ring (52-42-30) on the front and 25-12 on the back. Recently invested in a new bike that has a 50-34 compact on front and 29-13 at rear.

With new bike, did Conor Pass (6.5% avg) comfortably last weekend without needing the 29 or 27. Also attempted the Short Mountain outside Tralee which is 17% in places. Having already done 80km, including a good deal of climbing, didn't have the legs to get up the last 17% section.

From what I have read, the climbs on the Marmotte are relatively constant in terms of gradient, with some 10-12% sections being the max.

Any advice welcome.

I did Marmotte last year for the 1st time. I cant remember how many times I reached for an extra gear which wasn't there and that was on a 34-29. This year i'm arming myself with a 32.
    My write up from last year

scottdavieslamarmotte2013.blogspot.co.uk

you will see plenty of wiry/canny experienced Marmotte guys (Europeans) with triples and huge dinner plate cassettes. I was at the start line wondering why the hell they needed triples. The answer came as I was crawling up alpe d huez as they were spinning away.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

"...you will see plenty of wiry/canny experienced Marmotte guys (Europeans) with triples and huge dinner plate cassettes. I was at the start line wondering why the hell they needed triples. The answer came as I was crawling up alpe d huez as they were spinning away."

Sure, there would be no point doing the Marmotte if it was easy. It's the suffering that will make it worthwhile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hardgrit

"...you will see plenty of wiry/canny experienced Marmotte guys (Europeans) with triples and huge dinner plate cassettes. I was at the start line wondering why the hell they needed triples. The answer came as I was crawling up alpe d huez as they were spinning away."

Sure, there would be no point doing the Marmotte if it was easy. It's the suffering that will make it worthwhile!!

Oh believe me.........I suffered as did everyone.

Hardgrit wrote: »

scottdavieslamarmotte2013.blogspot.co.uk

Excellent Blog...really sums up the day..well done.

Mt Leinster Challenge done...

http://www.strava.com/activities/142284374

Maybe do another spin in Wicklow before the Wicklow 200 in June.

• Advertisement

Impressive stuff Lapierre. 28kmh avg over that course is fair going.

Did my own Wicklow Marmotte on Saturday that included Slieve Maan, Shay Elliott, Sally gap (from Roundwood) and Wicklow Gap (from Laragh). Met a few lads at coffee shop in Laragh that had done the Marmotte the last few years. Were raving about the event. They are off to do the Stelvio Santini in Italy in two weeks. That looks savage.

Am doing the Mick Byrne 200 next Sunday and the three days of the Tour of Kerry the following weekend. Will probably do one last long & hilly spin in middle of June, then take it easy after that with a few 50-80km spins on fairly flat terrain just to keep the legs ticking over.

Not long to go now!

Impressive stuff Lapierre. 28kmh avg over that course is fair going.

Not really...Its a Mass start event and the first 60k I kept up with the lead group of about 60 riders. Once we hit the first climb it broke up, but myself and two other club mates then kept a good tempo going for the remainder.

I really felt the fast pace! I found the second climb pretty tough! I certainly won't be doing the Marmotte at that pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Decided I needed to take it up a notch today. Marmotte is creeping up fast!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/144977991

I survived the Mick Byrne 200 last Sunday. The climb from Laragh to the Sally Gap seemed never ending- it felt much harder than the same climb during the Orwell Randonee, but the Mick Byrne had an extra 60km done in getting to Laragh.
    Starting the Alpe d'Huez after 160km could be challenging!

Starting the Alpe d'Huez after 160km could be challenging!

Haha, starting Alpe D'Huez is the easy bit...it's trying to finish it thats the killer:p

The first 4 or 5 hairpins on the Alpe are the worst...after that it gets "easier" ;)

• Advertisement

To paraphrase a book...

The first 4 or 5 hairpins were the worst and the next 4 or 5, they were the worst too. The third 4 or 5 hairpins I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”

lol

Leroy42 - I take it you don't work as a motivational speaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Ok, enough. I'm not going.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    To paraphrase a book...

The first 4 or 5 hairpins were the worst and the next 4 or 5, they were the worst too. The third 4 or 5 hairpins I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”

well i hate to tell ya, the last 4 or 5 dont be great either

• Advertisement

Today's effort...great day in Wicklow. Sunshine and not much wind..

http://www.strava.com/activities/147746510

Some good advise in this video:

http://youtu.be/T9Ok_sSTJ50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

You'd imagine they'd wear better vented helmets in what looks like hot conditions somewhere in Spain.

Bought a catlike whisper last week. Great ventilation. Hair is normally soaked in my old helmet. Totally dry with this one.

Today was the Wicklow 200. A tough day in wind and rain, but when you have a few clubmates to form a "groupetto" it really helps when there's a headwind...

http://www.strava.com/activities/151076902

Longest ride ever today, not very fast but basically ended up on my own for most of the time after 2 of the 3 guys I was supposed to be riding with dropped down to the 150km and availed of an extra hour in bed and the other lad dropped out entirely.

I need to build on this but the Marmotte is looking less of a pipe dream.

http://www.strava.com/activities/151142216

EV

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Today was the Wicklow 200. A tough day in wind and rain, but when you have a few clubmates to form a "groupetto" it really helps when there's a headwind...

http://www.strava.com/activities/151076902

Made such a difference yesterday. Two of us got in with a club from Louth and it was a lifeline. Tipping over at 30k into a headwind was just crazy. Found the climbs fine. Was passing out a good amount of lads on the hills so hopefully my path etched around Howth the past few months is going to stand me well next month.

cheerspal wrote: »
    Made such a difference yesterday. Two of us got in with a club from Louth and it was a lifeline. Tipping over at 30k into a headwind was just crazy. Found the climbs fine. Was passing out a good amount of lads on the hills so hopefully my path etched around Howth the past few months is going to stand me well next month.

Yeah your our official Howth Expert at this stage! :D

Ha

I think I will try and do 3000+m in 2 weeks and then leave it at that.

What have you planned for the last month of prep?

I'll probably do at least another wicklow spin (150k and 2500+ climbing) and also the SwordsCC "Leisure" (Hammerfest)tour on the 22nd..After that, I've nothing else planned other than the usual Satruday morning spins, commuting etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Deadly Submarine

Just over three weeks to the main event done a very easy paced 2000 metre day today all the hard work done over winter spring months the Mick Byrne 200 was a great marker tapering time has arrived :-)

Just over three weeks to the main event done a very easy paced 2000 metre day today all the hard work done over winter spring months the Mick Byrne 200 was a great marker tapering time has arrived :-)

A bit early for that no? :eek:

Good read from an Irish Guy who did the Marmotte last year:

http://www.donegalbaycyclingclub.com/la-marmotte-2013-done-dusted/

Only 3 weeks to go! so this evening I was checking my bike over.

I fitted New break pads, new tyres and tubes.
    I also checked both brake and gear cables. In my case, all the cables are pretty new, so no need to change them. The front wheel bearings are worn, so I manage to get a new set today and they too were fitted this evening.

So...my bike is good to go!....as for me? :)

Was watching 'La Marmotte 2013' by Soren Christensen on youtube earlier (I am not allowed to post with a url for some reason!)

Am fairly sure I saw it before, but this time I noticed a one-legged guy at 11.55. I think I saw an interview with him on some programme a while back. Amazing man.

So when I am suffering on any, or all, of the mountains, I will think of this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Rightly so, what an inspiration!!

So how is everyone's training going? I took the day off work and did 170km. Not much climbing (1500m), but I wanted to use the opportunity to get out in the sun. One more major effort early next week, and then ease is off.

Really starting to get the buzz, even though it's over 2 weeks away. 40% excited, 60% terrified!!

Was watching 'La Marmotte 2013' by Soren Christensen on youtube earlier (I am not allowed to post with a url for some reason!)

Am fairly sure I saw it before, but this time I noticed a one-legged guy at 11.55. I think I saw an interview with him on some programme a while back. Amazing man.

So when I am suffering on any, or all, of the mountains, I will think of this guy!

If it's the same guy, he only has one leg and one arm! (I saw him last year)

It's my first Marmottte so it's hard to know how prepared I am. I've done the Orwell 140km, the MB200 and the WW200. Last weekend I did a 110km spin with about 2400m climbing. (The plan for this Sunday is for 160km with 3000+m.)
    I've managed all of the above without feeling shattered during or after. Based on the experience of the people here who have done the Marmotte before, am I in reasonable condition to complete it?

I share Mayo's 40/60 split on emotions!

It's my first Marmottte so it's hard to know how prepared I am. I've done the Orwell 140km, the MB200 and the WW200. Last weekend I did a 110km spin with about 2400m climbing. (The plan for this Sunday is for 160km with 3000+m.)
    I've managed all of the above without feeling shattered during or after. Based on the experience of the people here who have done the Marmotte before, am I in reasonable condition to complete it?

I share Mayo's 40/60 split on emotions!

Remember....Its just a day out on the bike!

Some really good tips here (especially about Gels!)
    http://thecyclingblog.com/2014/04/22/10-tips-for-riding-a-sportive/

• Advertisement

Plan to do another (I should really say a 2nd) 200km spin this Saturday with about 2500 meters of climbing.

I have knocked the commuting on the head this week as I need to get some of the cumulative tiredness from my legs. I have got the turbo back out and am doing some 2 X 20min sessions with a good warm up and down at just belowthe hardest intensity I can maintain for the 20 mins. I reckon I will do 2 of these next week and one on the Tuesday before I travel. This is what I did for my only previous venture into the alps - the 2012 Etape and I was OK. No more long spins after this weekend though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/12961856

Advertisement