Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad hiding alcohol in child's water bottle

Options
  • 11-09-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Today something very worrying happened and I need some advice please.

I've always felt that my ex husband and father of my children has had issues with alcohol. They led to many an argument in our marriage, but seemed to settle down, and it wasnt the reason for our separation. His father is a recovering alcoholic, sober for over 40yrs. Since our separation he has met a lovely girl and they live together the past number of years.

Last night my children stayed overnight with their dad, and he brought them to school as normal. But today, when I picked my 8year old up from school he said to me ' mammy I think there was beer in my water bottle'. So at lunch time, he took a drink from his bright red pokemon water bottle, and tasted beer. He told his teacher, who smelled it, and asked him to pour it out and tell her what colour it was. I took out his bottle and there was a tiny bit left in it, and there was no doubt that he was right. His bottle had been filled to the top with beer.

I phoned my ex and asked him what he had done. I could sense the shock and horror and realisation at what he had done from the end of the phone. I got all manner off excuses.. 'its easier to fit in the fridge, I was drinking a can and didnt finish it so poured it into the bottle and put it in the fridge..'. I told him out straight that I didnt believe him, and that it looked like he was disguising his drinking etc and there was obviously a problem. I urged him to tell me the truth but he wouldnt. Just kept denying it. He is working from home during this pandemic. I am worried that things have gotten this bad, and I don't know what to do. I feel so sorry for him, he has his faults but I do care about him. He said he would phone me tomorrow, that he needed time to go through his thoughts. I told him that I wanted to hear the truth, and if he came clean to me that I would help him through this without going to his family etc. I believe he is hiding this from his girlfriend but I dont want to go behind his back to her about it. I would much rather he admitted he has a problem and then he spoke to her himself.

Am I doing the right thing? Am i jumping to conclusions? Should i be believing his stories about how the beer ended up in the kids bottle? I really don't know what to think or do and would really appreciate some objective opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I would actually be more concerned about what your child knows and how it has affected him. Your ex is an adult, and you can’t help people who don’t want help, so I’d focus on your child’s needs first, and do right by him first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 L2020

screamer wrote: »
    I would actually be more concerned about what your child knows and how it has affected him. Your ex is an adult, and you can’t help people who don’t want help, so I’d focus on your child’s needs first, and do right by him first and foremost.

I have spoken to both children, 8 and 13yrs, and they both seem oblivious to any issues going on. They are with me the majority of the time. But if he doesn't get help and sort this out then obviously it would affect me letting the kids stay with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

L2020 wrote: »
    I have spoken to both children, 8 and 13yrs, and they both seem oblivious to any issues going on. They are with me the majority of the time. But if he doesn't get help and sort this out then obviously it would affect me letting the kids stay with him.

That’s good. As for your ex, really unless he wants your help, you’re at nothing. I’d be very frank and tell him that you won’t let his problems affect the kids, and that if he wants to see them, he needs to get the help he needs. Offer to help, but then you’ll need to back off and see what he does. It’s a tough situation as a lot of alcoholics think everyone has a problem with their drinking rather than the other way around. Still, focus on your kids needs over his, they’re impressionable little people at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Danni21

<Mod snip>

As someone who has spent most of their lives with someone struggling with alcoholism I think you know he is making every excuse under the book. I just have to say this you sound like such a kind, empathic and compassionate person the way you speak about your ex and his new partner.

This will stand to great strength for your son when he's older. You know deep down your ex needs help I feel. But it sounds like he has an amazing support network around him. I know there will be people saying he's not your responsibility etc but you obviously still care about him for your sons sake if nothing else. I wish you all the best OP. You sound like an incredible mum

Danni21 wrote: »
    As someone who has spent most of their lives with someone struggling with alcoholism I think you know he is making every excuse under the book. I just have to say this you sound like such a kind, empathic and compassionate person the way you speak about your ex and his new partner.

This will stand to great strength for your son when he's older. You know deep down your ex needs help I feel. But it sounds like he has an amazing support network around him. I know there will be people saying he's not your responsibility etc but you obviously still care about him for your sons sake if nothing else. I wish you all the best OP. You sound like an incredible mum

Thank you so much, they are very kind words. Yes I care about him but just as someone who was a part of my life and the father of my children, ie not romantically. I've moved on to a new relationship too and its nice to all get on as adults..if only for the sake of the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem isnt just him drinking .... to conceal alcohol in a bottle that a child drinks out of is a real major red flag..... thats a big problem.... that is saying to me... if his decision making as regards leaving alcohol accessible and yet concealed for your child to be possibly able to access and consume... do you want to be putting the child under the responsibility of him to mind...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Youre a good woman, try to help the poor chap

Strumms wrote: »
    The problem isnt just him drinking .... to conceal alcohol in a bottle that a child drinks out of is a real major red flag..... thats a big problem.... that is saying to me... if his decision making as regards leaving alcohol accessible and yet concealed for your child to be possibly able to access and consume... do you want to be putting the child under the responsibility of him to mind...?

Its absolutely shocking. I don't know whether to say something to the teacher or whether the school is going to contact me about this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Your 8 year old child went to school with beer in their bottle? Did he forget it was there?

There's being adult about things and there's a situation where your kid takes beer to school in a pokemon bottle!

Giving him the help and support he needs is great, but surely you can't let the children stay over? Have you not heard anything from the school?

Your 8 year old child went to school with beer in their bottle? Did he forget it was there?

There's being adult about things and there's a situation where your kid takes beer to school in a pokemon bottle!

Giving him the help and support he needs is great, but surely you can't let the children stay over? Have you not heard anything from the school?
    The kids have 2 bottles the same, his words were that he mixed them up. The 13yr old doesnt take a pokemon bottle anymore obviously so by the sounds of things he was using one to conceal the fact that he was drinking and one was being used by my younger son.
    No I havent heard anything from the school.
    I don't see how the children can stay over and how I can trust him, that is why I want him to admit what is going on and get help. They do have a responsible adult there too though, his current partner. I havent had any reason to be concerned up until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Until he gets himself together he’s not fit to mind the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Feels a bit odd if he was an alcoholic to disguise a small bit of beer for later consumption. Like surely if he had dependencies he'd have drank it all at the time.

It's also not like its spirits or wine, a bottle of beer will do nothing for most people so the idea of keeping a small amount of it hidden so he can take edge off at some point in future doesnt really compute.

I'd tend to believe his excuse that he just needed somewhere to store it. Still wholly irresponsible to put it in a bottle that his son could easily mix up and that's concerning in of itself but I'd probably relax on the alcoholic theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

TheadoreT wrote: »
    Feels a bit odd if he was an alcoholic to disguise a small bit of beer for later consumption. Like surely if he had dependencies he'd have drank it all at the time.

It's also not like its spirits or wine, a bottle of beer will do nothing for most people so the idea of keeping a small amount of it hidden so he can take edge off at some point in future doesnt really compute.

I'd tend to believe his excuse that he just needed somewhere to store it. Still wholly irresponsible to put it in a bottle that his son could easily mix up and that's concerning in of itself but I'd probably relax on the alcoholic theories.

Yeah I thought the same, weird ring of truth to it. If it was a case of concealed problem drinking it would surely have been spirits, 250ml of beer would be a weird thing to hide if he is a problem drinker.

Regardless of how it ended up in the bottle it’s a really unfortunate situation re kids and school, As other posters have said you’re dealing with it admirably and with such compassion. Fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Fair play to you for the compassion you're showing your ex. If it was me I would be livid. What if it had been straight vodka and your child had been parched and lashed some back before realising that it wasnt water? I know it wasnt, it was beer, but it was alcohol nonetheless, who is to say it hasnt happened before/won't happen again.

I'm shocked that the school haven't been in touch about this, and I would contact them if I were you, you've got to cover yourself to be honest. This is a child protection issue and your child's teacher is mandated to either contact Tusla or inform the Designated Liason Person on the staff (usually the principal), who should contact them. Sorry to sound overly dramatic but honest to god, if there is alcohol being stored in a child's beaker, something is not right. Maybe if you contact the school first they'll respect your attempts to manage it internally as a family first, but they should really make a note of this in case of future incidents. It's also a worry that they didn't contact you in the sense that if your child hadn't told you then you wouldn't know anything about it.

I hope you can work this out with your ex and if he has any sense he will have told his new partner about it too so he has their support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I would not worry about him being alcoholic unless he drives kids
    There's more worry about putting alcohol in water bottles. You need to keep diary in case it goes to court. Alcoholics will have something. Else than beer in a bottle that's what you have to worry about. Send emails and ask about it as you need a paper trail

Thanks all. Just a couple of things to note...firstly the bottle holds at least 600mls. Second, I was with him for 18yrs and I always felt there was a huge dependency on alcohol. Also, I asked him had his new partner raised concerns with him about his drinking and after much waffle he admitted she had. I believe the bottle was kept full in the fridge and he takes sips from it throughout the day to take the edge off.

Yes beer is not as hard core as spirits but he never drank spirits. Beer was always his drink. Second, you dont have to get blind drunk on spirits to be an alcoholic. You don't even have to get drunk. It's the psychological reliance he has on having a means of escape that is the worrying part. Just having something to take the edge off. The only person he is hiding it from is his partner as she is the only one he lives with. So therefore if he is concealing drinking she must have a problem with it.

Also a big red flag to me was his reaction when I confronted him. This wasnt a stupid mistake type of reaction. This was an 'I'm caught' reaction. I know him well. Maybe I'm wrong and those of you who say it was an honest mistake are right, but nothing is adding up to that conclusion. Who saves half a can of beer because they're 'had enough'? He has never left a drink before finishing it. My son heard him say this to me and even in his innocence said 'mammy the bottle was filled to the top so if that was half a can then I dont know how big the can must have been!' Like I pointed out it was a large bottle of water.

L2020 wrote: »
    The kids have 2 bottles the same, his words were that he mixed them up. The 13yr old doesnt take a pokemon bottle anymore obviously so by the sounds of things he was using one to conceal the fact that he was drinking and one was being used by my younger son.
    No I havent heard anything from the school.
    I don't see how the children can stay over and how I can trust him, that is why I want him to admit what is going on and get help. They do have a responsible adult there too though, his current partner. I havent had any reason to be concerned up until today.

I don't know OP. A lot of people are commending your compassion, but all I can think of is the kid that went to school with beer in his bottle and then had no drink for the day. And had to tell his teacher.

You cant force him to admit he has a problem. You surely saw that from the many fights you had when you were together. Regardless of how or why the end result of your child having beer in his bottle going to school is serious.

Your son can't possibly be oblivious to any issues, he was directly impacted by them yesterday. Your ex has a new partner now. Why can they not deal with this together and you avoid sleepovers until then?

I don't know OP. A lot of people are commending your compassion, but all I can think of is the kid that went to school with beer in his bottle and then had no drink for the day. And had to tell his teacher.

You cant force him to admit he has a problem. You surely saw that from the many fights you had when you were together. Regardless of how or why the end result of your child having beer in his bottle going to school is serious.

Your son can't possibly be oblivious to any issues, he was directly impacted by them yesterday. Your ex has a new partner now. Why can they not deal with this together and you avoid sleepovers until then?

I am completely and utterly devastated this happened to my son and the last thing I said to him before he went to sleep last night was that I was so sorry this happened to him. But there is a bigger picture here, his dad needs help. I've watched his dad rattle with nerves over silly little life stresses. I've listened to him talk about how stressed he is with his work. What do I do, prevent the kids from being around him and tell him to sort himself out, only to get a call some day that it's all too much for him and he has ended his life? I can see that happening. It's a very real worry. What good is that to my kids?
    I do want him to get help with his new partner. But I want him to admit there is a problem to me and to her. If I walk away from this and prevent him seeing his kids then he will continue to spin lies and he won't seek help or even tell his girlfriend the truth.

Does the new partner know what happened yesterday? What does your current partner say? He has a child around the same age. If his ex sent his child to school with beer in his bottle, what would he do?

If you fear getting a call some day that your partner has ended his life, you need to talk to his current girlfriend. They need to work through it together. Would the girlfriend not open the fridge and wonder why there was a full pokemon bottle in it? Or empty it out, thinking the kids would need it cleaned for their next visit?

Whatever about seeing them during the day, there's no way I would arrange sleepovers on school nights where there's a possibility the kid could end up with a bottle of beer in school. The decision is yours of course, but I couldn't allow it.

I'm surprised that the school has said nothing of it to you. Surely the teacher has to mention it to the principal? You can be sure some of the kids went home and mentioned it

Does the new partner know what happened yesterday? What does your current partner say? He has a child around the same age. If his ex sent his child to school with beer in his bottle, what would he do?

If you fear getting a call some day that your partner has ended his life, you need to talk to his current girlfriend. They need to work through it together. Would the girlfriend not open the fridge and wonder why there was a full pokemon bottle in it? Or empty it out, thinking the kids would need it cleaned for their next visit?

Whatever about seeing them during the day, there's no way I would arrange sleepovers on school nights where there's a possibility the kid could end up with a bottle of beer in school. The decision is yours of course, but I couldn't allow it.

I'm surprised that the school has said nothing of it to you. Surely the teacher has to mention it to the principal? You can be sure some of the kids went home and mentioned it

No his new partner doesn't know what happened yesterday, I want my ex to tell her himself. I asked him would she be concerned if she knew and he said yes. When he tried to brush it off with excuses as to why it happened I asked would she be concerned that you were losing your mind doing something so stupid or would she be worried you had a drinking problem. He responded 'the latter'.

My current partner is as worried as I am, for the same reasons and concerned about the child protection issues too. I do intend on talking to the teacher but it's not as easy as taking her aside at the school gate as we obviously are kept out of the grounds, so I will have to organise it in advance for this week.

Also my current partner has experience of living with an alcoholic, a parent, and can see the pattern of lies and denial coming.

• Advertisement

Would the girlfriend not open the fridge and wonder why there was a full pokemon bottle in it? Or empty it out, thinking the kids would need it cleaned for their next visit?

Not if he was actively using it every day himself as a 'water' bottle on his desk or whatever. I don't know. I don't get how he can disguise the smell of alcohol off him. I don't have the answers because I don't understand any of it.

You just have to ring and make an appointment with the teacher. Whether covid was here or not, it's not a conversation for the school gate.

Could all three of you, you, him, the girlfriend not sit down together and discuss it? Surely this isn't a conversation she should be left out of if him committing suicide is a very real worry. That way when you talk to the teacher you can tell her the steps being taken as a family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Trending

The school is very lax about this episode
    I’m surprised they haven’t contacted you before now. They are obliged to do so and SHOULD have contacted authorities

Sounds like you know what you are doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I would not worry about him being alcoholic unless he drives kids
    There's more worry about putting alcohol in water bottles. You need to keep diary in case it goes to court. Alcoholics will have something. Else than beer in a bottle that's what you have to worry about. Send emails and ask about it as you need a paper trail

Being an alcoholic parent is the bigger worry

Like it or not he's a role model for his children

It's not what you say its what you do, kids watch and copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭amber2

Think you should contact the school first thing Monday morning as they may already have wheels in motion and be in contact with the relevant authorities.

My son found vodka on the school bus, he is first on the School bus and over the weekend the school bus was used for night club transport, this was last year. The first thing I did was ring the school to say he had found the drink on the bus and it had not come from home. Luckily he handed it to the bus driver but if you say nothing or the longer you leave it the whole thing is more difficult to explain.

Could all three of you, you, him, the girlfriend not sit down together and discuss it? Surely this isn't a conversation she should be left out of if him committing suicide is a very real worry. That way when you talk to the teacher you can tell her the steps being taken as a family?

That's what I want. But I didn't feel i should be the one to go behind his back and tell her. I want to hear the full truth and extent of what he is going through instead of lies and excuses and then for him to tell it to her too. I understand that he won't admit he has a problem until he is ready but surely doing this to your young child is enough of a reason to accept you need help.

Do people think I should have contacted her myself? I just felt a more gentle and empathetic approach would make him feel like he had enough support to come clean, rather than his girlfriend hitting the roof etc.. I don't know how her reaction will be but I didnt want to ambush him. I just want to hear the true extent of the problem.

amber2 wrote: »
    Think you should contact the school first thing Monday morning as they may already have wheels in motion and be in contact with the relevant authorities.

My son found vodka on the school bus, he is first on the School bus and over the weekend the school bus was used for night club transport, this was last year. The first thing I did was ring the school to say he had found the drink on the bus and it had not come from home. Luckily he handed it to the bus driver but if you say nothing or the longer you leave it the whole thing is more difficult to explain.

Thank you, I think you're right. I'm so angry as this is nothing I have done myself, I am the best mother I could possibly be to those boys but here I am explaining my child being sent to school with alcohol! I can't even believe it while I am writing it.

He said he would deal with the school but he will just fob them off with lies which they may or may not believe. (Did I mention he works in advertising?? This man could sell stories to anyone...)

Should they be fobbed off or should they hear that there's a real problem and then my son is flagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

L2020 wrote:
    Do people think I should have contacted her myself? I just felt a more gentle and empathetic approach would make him feel like he had enough support to come clean, rather than his girlfriend hitting the roof etc.. I don't know how her reaction will be but I didnt want to ambush him. I just want to hear the true extent of the problem.

No I think you're right to give him a chance to tell her himself, hopefully he does that so the three of you can talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Am I the only one reading this thread and thinking A, it's beer. And B, why would he disguise it in child's pokemon bottle? From who, his girlfriend? So he's now sitting at home watching TV drinking beer from a bright red Pokemon bottle, his gf beside him on the sofa oblivious, and never questioning his strange choice of vessle.

I think his story is very plausible, it's an air tight liquid container. I'd be more concerned why he wouldnt just chuck it, rather than save half a can for another time.

Did you ask your wee fella who gave him the container for his lunch or did he take it from the fridge himself? If he took it himself, then your ex's story fits.

I just dont know about hiding beer, especially a beaker full, doesn't sound like hiding to me. You'd just leave it in the can. Or preserve it in a beaker. Not like it was a closet full of empty cans.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Am I the only one reading this thread and thinking A, it's beer. And B, why would he disguise it in child's pokemon bottle? From who, his girlfriend? So he's now sitting at home watching TV drinking beer from a bright red Pokemon bottle, his gf beside him on the sofa oblivious, and never questioning his strange choice of vessle.

I think his story is very plausible, it's an air tight liquid container. I'd be more concerned why he wouldnt just chuck it, rather than save half a can for another time.

Did you ask your wee fella who gave him the container for his lunch or did he take it from the fridge himself? If he took it himself, then your ex's story fits.

I just dont know about hiding beer, especially a beaker full, doesn't sound like hiding to me. You'd just leave it in the can. Or preserve it in a beaker. Not like it was a closet full of empty cans.

It was put in his bag by his dad. My older son says he never drinks around his girlfriend. When my older son and his are watching a movie my son said he goes out the kitchen for a drink but doesnt take anything back with him, and he can smell that its beer. The girlfriend isnt there with him.

I've explained in earlier posts that his reactions to it have set off alarm bells. His story kept changing. He admitted his girlfriend has had problems with his drinking. I felt he had drink issues in our past. He admitted she would be concerned if she found out what happened. I hope you're right but unfortunately I don't believe it.

Advertisement