Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options
  • 29-01-2015 1:39pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi folks!

Myself and iguana thought it would be a good idea to start a general chat thread in the forum. There can often be a lot of chat on threads, which can sometimes send things off on a bit of a tangent away from the topic of the thread. This isn't a bad thing, but often if someone's posted looking for advice it can be a bit difficult for them to sift through all the chat.

At the moment, the idea is in 'Pilot Mode'. It works well in other forums, but we all know things can get a bit carried away here sometimes, so providing everyone plays nice, it's here to stay.

If the thing becomes one big bitch fest, and becomes a nightmare to moderate, we'll get rid of it.

The idea of the thread is that it's a friendly place for users to come and have a laugh or a general natter, without feeling intimidated. We don't want to be too rigid with rules, but in order to preserve the light-hearted nature of the thread there are a couple that we'll need to make clear:

• The forum Charter, and the Boards.ie sitewide rules still apply to this thread.
    • There'll be zero tolerance on posters acting the dick in the thread. This includes, but is not limited to, being overly judge-y, thinly veiled digs at other posters, open digs at other posters, being bitchy or nasty in general. Basically, the best thing to do is stop and think "If this post was addressed to, or written about me, would I be happy about seeing it?" if the answer is no, then don't post it.
    • If you're posting a link to something that might not be suitable to be viewed in the workplace, please make sure and warn that it's NSFW.
    • If you see a post that goes against the above, please PLEASE use the Report Post button. We'd really appreciate it!

So without further ado, let me introduce you to our new general chat thread; The General Chat Thread!! (It took us hours to come up with the name! :pac:)

So basically anyone who wants to talk about stuff that's very loosely related to weddings (or any old random stuff really) come on down and post here! Also, if a thread is getting very cluttered up with chat, we'll just move the posts here, so the discussion can continue without derailing the other thread.

Happy chatting! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Great idea!! Thank ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Way hey! I love how normal the posters are here compared to certain other corners of the internet :p

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dolbert wrote: »
    Way hey! I love how normal the posters are here compared to certain other corners of the internet :p

Yeah, that's true! Curiosity got the better of me last night and I read that mumsnet thread. The highlights for me were:

Bridesmaid's +1 was revoked, she can have it back if she's in a relationship by the time the wedding rolls around, providing her OH passes some sort of arbitrary bridal screening test.
    Bride hasn't slept with her hubby-to-be for 'a long time' although, she says she'll do him before the wedding, cos they want kids soon, and she doesn't want him to think he's just getting the ride for procreation purposes.
    Marryoke - Fcuk. Right. Off.
    Bride wants the groom to stand outside her bedroom window on the night before the wedding, holding up cardboard declarations of love a la "Love Actually"

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

you forgot: He isnt allowed to look around in the Church because she wants him to hear the audience congregation 'gasp' when she walks in. My fave response to that one was:

'Why? Will she be naked?':)

Its actually sadder than Bridezilla. Its a total fabrication of a relationship that is an utter fantasy, and that is only going to end one way. Its all about the wedding with precious little thought to an actual marriage.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It'll be gasps of "Oh my god, she's coming! He can't run away now!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can we link to loopy threads in other forums cos i really have seen some crackers on that american one [/bold fits]

fits wrote: »
    Can we link to loopy threads in other forums cos i really have seen some crackers on that american one [/bold fits]

Oh, please, please, pleeease! I really need to see this:
    Toots wrote: »
    Bride wants the groom to stand outside her bedroom window on the night before the wedding, holding up cardboard declarations of love a la "Love Actually"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh please allow linkage!!! That mumsnet thread was pure gold! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm nowhere near marriage but can I follow this just to find some great crazy brides reading material? This forum has provided plenty of gold in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I wonder if the reason that mumsnet bride and her hostage husband haven't had relations in a while is because she's doing that thing, that no-sex-till-the-wedding-so-our -wedding-night-will-be-super-awesome thing. Possibly not though as didn't she also say something to the tune of "but we'll do it after the wedding because we want kids".

So another theory is maybe she's recently become super religious and believes in sex-for-procreation-ONLY. If the wedding is on a Friday and they are serving meat them that's that theory gone too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I admit I'm slightly addicted to mumsnet :o, despite the acronyms :D.

It can often yield good bridezilla threads. There was a similar-ish one not too long ago, but not as extreme, in terms of the money involved, or gasps being required when the bride walked down the aisle.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I'm nowhere near marriage but can I follow this just to find some great crazy brides reading material? This forum has provided plenty of gold in the past!

I'm right there with ya! Endless gold from those threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Someone please link the mumsnet threads.

I think it's also good to note that the two most recent mega threads on the Weddings forum here have been linked in other forums for people to have a good look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Ditto! Not gonna lie, this is one of my favourite forums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

ShazGV wrote: »
    Ditto! Not gonna lie, this is one of my favourite forums. :D

It's good to see that I'm not alone. :)

A question how would you say like kids on the rsvp and no.. Done up a test invite and had Kids No. and a space but it looks weird

As in number of kids? Or No Kids?

number of kids. I want to invite them but then you would be writing names on the invites forever. So was just thinking of putting something on the rsvp but we would need to know how many would be going

I'd put on your invite

'Children of guests are welcome to attend, please state on the RSVP if your children will be attending'

And then on the RSVP have the space for attending Yes/No and then

'No. of Children attending with you' and a box for a number.

It's ok if people want to link the other threads.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    I'd put on your invite

'Children of guests are welcome to attend, please state on the RSVP if your children will be attending'

And then on the RSVP have the space for attending Yes/No and then

'No. of Children attending with you' and a box for a number.[/QUOTE

It just seems like a lot of extra wording on the invite..was hoping to get lets say a neater way of doing it, if we were caught for space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Maybe on the invite 'John & Mary Smith + family', then on the RSVP a space for them to write their names with 'No. of Children' underneath?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd address them as "Smith family" and then have " __ of __ attending", where you'd fill in the total number invited and they'd fill in the number attending. So you'd send it out as "__ of 5 attending", and they'd send it back as "0/1/2/3/4/5 of 5 attending"?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Out of curiosity, what's the average people spend on a honeymoon? I know it's kinda like asking how long is a piece of string..but on average for say a 2-3 week long haul destination.

jaja321 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the average people spend on a honeymoon? I know it's kinda like asking how long is a piece of string..but on average for say a 2-3 week long haul destination.

It's kind of a pointless question really .... It depends on your finances. Some can only afford €50 a night, others spend €200 a night and then others can afford to spend €1000 a night. Whatever you can afford is the answer to your question, I don't see the relevance in what other people spend tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

tinkerbell wrote: »
    It's kind of a pointless question really .... It depends on your finances. Some can only afford €50 a night, others spend €200 a night and then others can afford to spend €1000 a night. Whatever you can afford is the answer to your question, I don't see the relevance in what other people spend tbh.

As I said - just curious.

It's ok if people want to link the other threads.

Woohoo!!

The bridesmaid who had already had to spend £1500 and was then asked to pay another £40 for a goody bag for the bride, crazy thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a2291570-To-have-another-rant-about-friends-wedding

Groomzilla who wanted to charge the bridesmaids for the free rooms they were getting to make money back (hotel made a mistake and gave more free rooms than they were supposed to) and wasn't charging the best men anything for the rooms:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2098691-Bridesmaid-asked-to-pay-for-free-room

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Or got the bride in on it for a great money maker! ;-)

• Advertisement

thanks for the tips ladies on the kids number..

Advertisement