Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't get people who moan about their partners the whole time like that. I think its really disrespectful. And people who witter on about their ailments constantly are so boring!

In some ways, addressing topics you wouldn't normally do is a good idea- for instance, because of the couple of cases in the last couple of years concerning maternal deaths during pregnancy, it made me more certain I want my partner, and not my current next-of-kin to make decisions on behalf of me and my family, because my partner would be very much on the same page as me, whereas my NOK is a bit, eh, iona.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A lot of people really need to educate thesmselves on the whole next of kin thing. I think many were taken aback by the fact that the clinically dead woman's father rather than her partner and the father of the foetus was the one involved in end of life decisions in the recent case. One of the main, less romantic, reasons we got married was because of that. My parents wouldn't think to not have a full catholic funeral for me and would be squiffy about cremation or other preferences I have expressed. Whereas I know my husband would do what I would prefer and what we have discussed, and vice versa.

It was also because we both wanted children and wanted to be their next of kin that we got married. My husband has seen too many men caught out by not being married when it comes to dealing with their children that there was no way he'd have had a child unless we were married. I know most people manage to deal with having children outside of marriage pretty ok but I'd rather not take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Completely agree, lazygal. It's a massive bugbear of mine when I hear people going on about how marriage is "just a piece of paper", it changes nothing, etc.

No - it's actually a pretty big deal. People are just so ignorant to the reality of what marriage is - you become Next of Kin to each other and if you have children, your partner gets automatic rights. It's foolish IMHO to just plod along without marriage when you do intend staying together and / or have children.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Toots wrote: »
    I felt very sorry for her hubby! He was the butt of all her 'jokes' that day. Every time we got to a new topic of the course, she had a little story about her marriage which inevitably ended up with her husband burning the dinner/tracking spilled paint all over the house/running the lawnmower over her flowerbeds/expecting his breakfast brought up to him every day/leaving the toilet seat up/not knowing how to cook/trying to do the laundry and failing/etc.

That just makes me think of Father Ted!

“Remember last year, Mrs Dunne, when your husband tried to wash a cup and burned the house down? And Mrs Collins, when Mr Collins tried to make a bed on his own and lost a leg?”

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It was pretty much exactly that! I'd have loved if the husband had been there giving the course too, and we got his side of the story. I reckon he's one of those guys who spends a lot of time out in the shed, ostensibly fixing stuff, but really just trying to avoid her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

So excited. Been saving like crazy for the last year and think we have the wedding covered. Got an unexpected windfall last week and am using part of it to treat ourselves to a weekend in the europe hotel in killarney for our birthdays. Had been looking into london but realised we could do something uber fancy here for less. Yay! We havent had a break in ages and OH is working mega hard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

well done fits!! And enjoy the break...well deserved I am sure.. I must get my arse in gear now and start saving more..Himself is great at it, but Im not doing the best lately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

These stories are making me glad my husband and I didn't have to do a pre-marriage course! It sounds a bit patronizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I got engaged at the weekend! :D:D:D

Nothing else to say really - just had to tell you all! :D

Dovies wrote: »

Congratulations! Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of wedding planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Congratulations! Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of wedding planning.

Did all the organising for my sisters last year - Bit different when its your own though as I don't know what I want! :confused:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Congratulations Dovies!!

It can often be tough deciding what you want, especially cos there's so much to choose from! Just take your time and go around various venues etc, and see if anything jumps out at you!

Being newly engaged is a wonderful time where every option is a possibility. You could get married on a beach, by a waterfall, in a forest, whatever you like. Only recently did Ireland allow couples to get married outside. Or of course you could go abroad; ornate church in Italy, tropical beach in the Carribean, big park in Prague...

its often easier to think about what you dont want, and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Pinterest will be your new addiction :)

Jaysus that can be a dangerous passtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I know, I have about 20 secret boards. At least I'm getting married. Had 2 before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dovies wrote: »

Congrats D, I saw your thread on venues yesterday and I remembered you from the old online dating thread in tGC, delighted for you.

Re the pre marriage course, I have to say, both burd and I really enjoyed ours.

The facilitators were fantastic so I'm sure that helped.

We got our suits 99% sorted last weekend too which I'm delighted with as my best man is in Canada and won't be home til a week before the wedding and my groomsman is moving to New Zealand in 2 weeks and he won't be back til a week before too.

Where did you get the suits business cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Protocol on Dawson St.

100% getting groomsmens suits there, we just have to go back to one other place for a fitting for myself.

Renting for the lads and buying mine.

• Advertisement

I was reading this earlier today and actually laughing out loud :D If you've read 50 Shades of Grey you'll get this, and if you haven't, it's a fairly spot-on synopsis of the story!

Probably NSFW

Fifty Shades of Tedious Fcukery

edit: fixed link, thanks How so Joe!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I was reading this earlier today and actually laughing out loud :D If you've read 50 Shades of Grey you'll get this, and if you haven't, it's a fairly spot-on synopsis of the story!

Probably NSFW

http://redlemonade.blogspot.ie/p/fifty-shades-of-tedious-****ery.html

Link doesn't work because it's been caught by the censor. Here's an alternate! Click

Haaa! of all the things to get censored out!

There's so much talk of these books I'm seriously considering giving the first one a go. Just to see what all the (positive and negative) fuss is about.

Its just a fairy tale. (beauty and the handsome beast). With sex. Thats all. Oldest formula in the book.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Those reviews are awesome. They put into words what I was feeling reading the awful things.

Im just going to leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7AvZPTT4kU&sns=tw

There's so much talk of these books I'm seriously considering giving the first one a go. Just to see what all the (positive and negative) fuss is about.
    If you've ever read twilight, the plot line is fairly similar. Except that in Twilight it takes 4 books til they get the ride, whereas in 50 shades it's not even 4 chapters.

I wasn't a bit surprised to hear that E.L James started out writing twilight fan fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

If you've ever read twilight, the plot line is fairly similar. Except that in Twilight it takes 4 books til they get the ride, whereas in 50 shades it's not even 4 chapters.

I wasn't a bit surprised to hear that E.L James started out writing twilight fan fiction.

The whole story was originally posted on a fanfiction site, and it was called 'Master of the Universe' - how very he-man. James just changed the names before she published it as a standalone. Lots of the characters are instantly identifiable as their Twilight counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

^ That's such a lazy way to write a book. I know of different fan fiction authors at the moment working on transferring their works into original novels, and are working ten times harder to create new characters, new back stories, just working with the basic plot of the original fanfic. It's a shame when they aren't the ones to get all the publicity in the end.

Advertisement