Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad hiding alcohol in child's water bottle

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Schools don't do private chats now

Once you speak to a teacher it's escalated to a social work department

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Zarco wrote: »
    Schools don't do private chats now

Once you speak to a teacher it's escalated to a social work department

phone???

• Registered Users Posts: 40 L2020

I'm wondering should I just say he stupidly stored the remainder of his beer in the bottle and gave the wrong bottle by mistake? Technically that's what happened anyway. Say nothing about the bigger problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

L2020

I understand your compassion for your ex, and the father of your children, but don’t let that get in the way of caring for your kids.

Alcoholism is a horrific thing, but the time for you holding your ex’s hand is over.

Your priority is your children. If that means keeping them away from him, then that’s what you should do. You don’t want one of them learning this behaviour (and it seems that they have seen some of this already), and ending up in a position where they are hiding alcohol in a child’s cup so that their partner doesn’t know that they are drinking.

When you read that, do you see how sad it is?

I have sympathy for your ex, but your duty is to your children. Please help them and, unfortunately, your ex is going to have to help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Like many kids your children know what beer is
    They know adults only can drink it
    They kniw it shoiod not be in their childrens cup
    They are not ashamed or afraid to bring a ‘mistake’ to their teachers attention

Most importantly they are not afraid of losing contact with their father by pointing out something that is wrong or ‘a mistake’ and are not involved in hiding things from one parent or taking sides. This is all very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

L2020 wrote: »
    I'm wondering should I just say he stupidly stored the remainder of his beer in the bottle and gave the wrong bottle by mistake? Technically that's what happened anyway. Say nothing about the bigger problem?

I don't think so. I think you defo should tell them the truth. But also what you told us here, what will be done about it, that this was a wake up call to him and he will seek help. If he will really do, you will see. It's something to doubt as yourself said, you heard it all before. But for now, I think the best thing with the school is not to make a big fuss about it. As said it will serve nobody. And you never know, he might really seek help this time. If not, you need to reconsider your actions.

Teachers are not shocked about it I would say, alcoholism is so common, also with parents, they probably had worse incidents before. Not playing it down or saying teachers don't react on it, but I think they will be glad to hear the truth and most importantly, there's a caring mother and the problem will be adressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

I bet his girlfriend knows exactly what's going on.

I can't believe the school hasn't contacted Tusla! Beer for you're own kids lunch is rock bottom you'd hope. I would document it some way, maybe send him an email so you have proof down the line if you need to go to court to protect your kids.

Hopefully he'll get there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It could be worse than you think ...he was trying to get your child drunk etc. Or he could have been.

Who knows.

Anyway ....you could let your son go around there anymore not now ..not until its sorted and out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

It could be worse than you think ...he was trying to get your child drunk etc. Or he could have been.

Who knows.

Anyway ....you could let your son go around there anymore not now ..not until its sorted and out in the open.

I'm not trying to defend the guy as he clearly has an alcohol problem and made a huge error of judgement - be it a case of mistaken bottle or just trying to hide his booze - and he should rightfully be hauled up on it.

But deliberately trying to get a child drunk? That's a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm not trying to defend the guy as he clearly has an alcohol problem and made a huge error of judgement - be it a case of mistaken bottle or just trying to hide his booze - and he should rightfully be hauled up on it.

But deliberately trying to get a child drunk? That's a stretch.
    Really?

Why hide your booze in a container the mother is at some point sure to check?

Risky ..even if you wash it she might smell it.

When you could just hide a bottle in the shed or ..around the house.

Sounds odd to me.

And its not as unusual as you think for parents to put diluted booze in a kids bottle ...sadly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement