Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken Down [RTE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

"My son im sorry i can not give you a house"

Yeah sure just rock up for 8 years and get a free house of the social, the virtue signalling was strong in this

Because she also can't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

In the first five minutes of the very first episode of love/hate alone, more happened then the whole first episode of Taken Down. It seems that the latter is taking a slower approach to developing the story or so we would hope.
    Every episode of season three of love/hate from the season premiere on was fairly tense.

To answer your question on Brian Gleeson, he was decent in Rebellion but Love/hate was his finest role to date. I think playing that type of psychopathic character suited him well

I didn't say nothing happened in the opening scenes of Love/Hate - I said the opening scenes of Love/Hate was very poor. Plenty happened in this first episode and the opening scenes alone here had much more going than the opening scenes of Love/Hate, so your statement doesn't really make sense.

That doesn't answer my question about Brian Gleeson at all. You mentioned "Hughie typecasting" and I asked typecasting had been happening to him.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Did the writers really have to introduce the idea of the sterotypical male garda from the 1980`s. Not typical of todays Gardai and a poor sideswipe.

Unnecessary because no one will take them up on it because it is PC today

Which Garda are you referring to? Angry Garda or the guy queueing for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Check the first episode of Big bang Theory - quite lame in comparison to nearly every other episode as it simply built the characters.

US shows differ as the first episode is almost always a pilot, which was shot some time ahead of the rest of the series. It is not uncommon for the first episode to differ quite a bit from the rest of the series.

TBBT is actually an interesting example as the Sheldon character differs completely from the rest of the series.

Addle wrote: »
    Because she also can't work.

It is not a topic I've ever given much thought too, but why are asylum seekers not allowed to work?

Are people in this situation on social welfare?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    US shows differ as the first episode is almost always a pilot, which was shot some time ahead of the rest of the series. It is not uncommon for the first episode to differ quite a bit from the rest of the series.

TBBT is actually an interesting example as the Sheldon character differs completely from the rest of the series.

I believe Graniteville meant was that people can't properly judge a show based on one episode. Or, as is often the case in Ireland, based on the ads for it or the fact it is on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That doesn't answer my question about Brian Gleeson at all. You mentioned "Hughie typecasting" and I asked typecasting had been happening to him.

I looked him up on IMDB during the show. He really hasn't been doing a whole lot, compared to his much more geeky brother, who has really hit the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭prunudo

Didn't take the scene of the garda queuing for the lunch as a dig at the gaurds. More a bit of humour, we all know or have that work mate who wouldn't turn up a free lunch.
    Thought the pace of the show was quite slow, even for a first episode but I suppose they have to build the story. I won't write it off yet.
    Think they missed a trick with the guy who was staring. If i was a detective he'd be the first person I'd interview, he watches everything so might have seen something of note.

I looked him up on IMDB during the show. He really hasn't been doing a whole lot, compared to his much more geeky brother, who has really hit the big time.

A comparison to the brother is not of much use. Their careers have nothing to do with each other.

Also it does not explain the supposed "typecasting".

jvan wrote: »
    Didn't take the scene of the garda queuing for the lunch as a dig at the gaurds. More a bit of humour, we all know or have that work mate who wouldn't turn up a free lunch.

Yes, I fail to see how that is an insult to the Guards or a "stereotype of the 80s". The scene was funny and I know people like that.
    Thought the pace of the show was quite slow, even for a first episode but I suppose they have to build the story. I won't write it off yet.
    Think they missed a trick with the guy who was staring. If i was a detective he'd be the first person I'd interview, he watches everything so might have seen something of note.

Yes, Samir should have been one of the first they spoke to even before Wayne.

However, I believe that the fact she didn't could be an indication that Samir being a witness is a red herring. His purpose in the story was for conflict with the young detective and to show the conditions asylum seekers live in and what they are running from in their country of origin - his final prayer scene shows he was tortured and he has been castrated based his comment to Rooney about "not being a man (no doubt the autopsy will reveal that)

• Advertisement

She knows something about Samir that we don't anyways. 'I'm not even a man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yes, I fail to see how that is an insult to the Guards or a "stereotype of the 80s". The scene was funny and I know people like that.

Yes, Samir should have been one of the first they spoke to even before Wayne.

However, I believe that the fact she didn't could be an indication that Samir being a witness is a red herring. His purpose in the story was for conflict with the young detective and to show the conditions asylum seekers live in and what they are running from in their country of origin - his final prayer scene shows he was tortured and he has been castrated based his comment to Rooney about "not being a man (no doubt the autopsy will reveal that)

Thanks, found it hard to remember each of the characters names.

Which "she" are you referring to?

Thanks, found it hard to remember each of the characters names.

Likewise.

I only remember Wayne and Samir - Wayne is easy enough and Samir's name was used a lot, but the rest I have not clue.

I only know Rooney because I looked it up. I'm not even sure any Guard's name is used in the episode other than the young detective.

EDIT: Last night I knew the victims names, but that is gone. I don't think I can blame that on the show though :P

Which "she" are you referring to?

The lead cop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

This isn't a TV show, it's asylum seeker propaganda. Every tweet on the hashtag liberals virtue signalling about direct provision which they know nothing about, or others calling it out. Political propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This isn't a TV show, it's asylum seeker propaganda. Every tweet on the hashtag liberals virtue signalling about direct provision which they know nothing about, or others calling it out. Political propaganda.

Your still at it from yesterday.

Do you just troll every single discussion with your ultra right wing agenda.

We can't even discuss a drama on TV in the TV forum without you and the other lads ruining it for everyone and then thanking each others posts.

Give us a rest will ya. Take it to after hours were people are prepared to listen to the guff

listermint wrote: »
    Your still at it from yesterday.

Do you just troll every single discussion with your ultra right wing agenda.

We can't even discuss a drama on TV in the TV forum without you and the other lads ruining it for everyone and then thanking each others posts.

Give us a rest will ya. Take it to after hours were people are prepared to listen to the guff
    The twitter hashtag for this is political. The programme is political. I am just responding to this. Sinn Fein politicians are cheerleading it on twitter. Which means it can only be bad news for the average Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The twitter hashtag for this is political. The programme is political. I am just responding to this. Sinn Fein politicians are cheerleading it on twitter. Which means it can only be bad news for the average Paddy.

The programme is a Drama!

Its not political consumption, You should open a thread in After hours is you so much about the 'average paddy'

This barrage of daily rethoric is boring do you not get tired ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The show itself isn't, so far, it's just that some people are using it as a vehicle for their agenda pushing. The writers and producers can't help it if people use their work in that way.

Should people avoid certain settings or storylines in fiction because of the possibility or probability that others will use them to push an agenda? In my view, to do so would make those people no better than the sjw types who insist that writers should restrict themselves from certain characterisations or subject matter for the sake of promoting an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For f*ck's sake, Google :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

berbeA9.png
    o96JJXO.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't seen the show (yet, not sure it's my cup of tea), but I welcome any initiative that tries to tell different sorts of stories, from original or a different range of perspectives of modern Ireland. The lives of immigrants, legal or otherwise, are a fact and reality in modern Ireland; there's more value in trying to humanise and tell their sides of this nation's shared narrative than keeping them as news items.

And co-opting American hyperbolic pejoratives, or screaming propaganda is a disingenuous, bad-faith engagement to take. That goes double if one hasn't actually watched the show either (including myself, so trying not to over-egg the point). All drama, be it TV, film, novel or comicbook, is told with either an existing bias from the author, or a preferred subjective point of view - that's literally the starting point of most fictitious accounts of the human experience. Picking and choosing ones outrage only betrays the larger bias in the consumer TBH.

Unless the aim is to demonise or scaremonger - which, you know, would be propaganda - then the end result is always going to be a positive reflection on a maligned corner of society. In fact it's no uncommon for those humanising portrayals in drama to have more demonstrable legal or societal effect than a dozen news items.

The lead cop.

I don't think she knows what he meant by that yet. I'm not even sure she suspects.

However, I think we'll find out that he had been castrated by whatever group he is running from. He will named as the killer due to sexual frustration or some such by the young detective and the superintendent is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Sinn Fein politicians are cheerleading it on twitter.

The writer Jo Spain worked in the admin dept of Sinn Fein offices up to a couple of years ago till she got a multiple book deal from a book publisher - so they are cheering a former colleague.

I'm far far away from SF ideologies, but cheering on a former colleague is fine in my book

The writer Jo Spain worked in the admin dept of Sinn Fein offices up to a couple of years ago till she got a multiple book deal from a book publisher - so they are cheering a former colleague.

I'm far far away from SF ideologies, but cheering on a former colleague is fine in my book
    She also once stood as a Sinn Fein election candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

She also once stood as a Sinn Fein election candidate.

As I have zero interest in SF and their policies, that would not be something I'd know.

But they were cheering on a former colleague - I just can't see your issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Yes it is a sincere question because it's almost a cliché now. You will see it mentioned elsewhere .by people who don't really know what it means, they read it somewhere. I know about production values and budgets. Lighting and soundtrack? More often than not soundtracks are used as cover for failings elsewhere. Locations? What?
    Tell me, what are you comparing it to here? Fair City? That's a fairly low bar. Do you actually know the budget for this is?

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As I have zero interest in SF and their policies, that would not be something I'd know.

But they were cheering on a former colleague - I just can't see your issue with that.

I saw that extreme leftie politician @paschald on Twitter praising his former Oireachtas colleague on her achievement in writing the drama too - must all be part of the leftie propaganda movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I saw that extreme leftie politician @paschald on Twitter praising his former Oireachtas colleague on her achievement in writing the drama too - must all be part of the leftie propaganda movement.

The last time I checked this was the TV forum, so would you all give it a feckin' rest. If you want to discuss leftie propganda, rightie propoganda or anything else that has f*ck all to do with the show then Politics and AH are that way. --->

Advertisement