Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taken Down [RTE]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think the problem with it so far is none of the cast are likeable,

No there is no characters you care about so far,

The main Guard is so wooden , Like someone on fair city ,

She was Aido's missus in Love/hate and is the exact same but in a Garda uniform ,

But I never understand armchair critics. Basically if they don't like something it is then automatically sh1te.

This seems to be the default reaction to anything that is being discussed online now. It's soul destroying reading the comments sometimes. Negative argumentative griping is the order of the day. The journal.ie is another prime example, - every article, every opinion, is trashed by the know-all self appointed experts.
    They have me griping now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Genuinely, it seems when the money wasn't there-round the time of the recession, there was more time and effort given to shows. Be it Love/ Hate or The Fall. Nowadays, there's almost more 'push' to get these shows made and finished, but they're all first draft-a second or third draft would be needed to polish them off. If you look at shows that came out prior to the recession, you got a variable hit and miss quality to em as well. But now we seem to be getting far more misses than hits. The good stuff is made in Ireland, but not produced by RTE. It has to be funded from outside.

The bad stuff is produced using funding from RTE (Finding Joy-which, for a show that was meant to be 'modern Ireland' was very white-very few tans or new-Irish to be seen). And it's the same 'faces' that are getting the funding- or people who build up a following on twitter, so RTE gives them a show, and it tanks (Nowhere Fast, involving a 'comedian' named Allison Spittle, who has a large number of followers on twitter. But her show didn't do much). There was a time you had to prove yourself-writing, producing or whatever. But folks like Amy Huberman have proven themselves to not be entertaining, and yet still get new projects thrown at em.

Love/Hate was made originally in 2009 and released in 2010 during the worst of the recession and its subsequent series were even better. They covered the recession period and how gangland fared during that time. The Fall likewise offered a clever and taut crime thriller.

Finding Joy and Alison Spittle are more of the same formulaic RTE comedy stuff. As for the pre-recession times: didn't that give us all them Angeline Ball dramas and The Big Bow Wow, On Home Ground, and so on. A lot of them interesting concepts but poorly written and produced.
    Just been told that a couple of key characters are only getting introduced this Sunday and if you're squeamish, its not something you'll want to watch. :)

But I never understand armchair critics. Basically if they don't like something it is then automatically sh1te.

I don't like lager, I despise rap music, I utterly hate The Office and I'd rather stare at a blank wall than watch x-factor or strictly. - But that is MY opinion and does not make any of these things crap or bad or anything.

Imagine if we only had one channel and everyone had to like what was on it? - We'd be an utterly boring race.

Basically, if you don't like it, that's fine, but eff off to another channel and stop the childish moronic back seat critique and maybe let the thread get back to discussing the programme.

And finally, it was NEVER EVER promoted as the "New Love Hate". Its from the same team as Love Hate, hence cinematography and production values would be strong, but no storyline connection in anyway shoe or form.

People are entitled to air their opinions on dramas when they are paying TV licences. If the drama is good, it's good. If not, it is not. Dramas like Clean Break, Rebellion and Paula did not get a second series either because they were poor or they were flawed. All 3 were watchable. Paula's first 2 episodes were quite good even but it was let down in the third. The other 2 were toned down in response to criticism of the violence in Love/Hate. I don't call these dramas like Clean Break, Rebellion, etc. as sh1te but they are not as good as they potentially could have been.

Taken Down has potential and while the second episode was very disappointing, that does not mean the next 4 will be. Taken Down should be made in the spirit of Love/Hate and cover its topic in that manner. That does not mean it should be a copy of Love/Hate. For example, other dramas like The Handmaid's Tale or Alias Grace made outside of Ireland are done excellently and are NOT AFRAID to show the full details of the worlds they depict just as is the case with Love/Hate. I am hoping Taken Down will be as satisfying and that in the next few weeks, episode 2 will be a distant memory.

Ah in fairness, in this day and age they should be able to knock out a decent drama without the ridiculous two dimensional stereotypes and the shocking acting..added to that yer man coming out and saying all the criticism is racist was just..I dunno..

Ah in fairness, in this day and age they should be able to knock out a decent drama without the ridiculous two dimensional stereotypes and the shocking acting..added to that yer man coming out and saying all the criticism is racist was just..I dunno..

Of course they should. Series that get more than one season are doing something right (with a few exceptions like Striking Out).

When a violent TV series that is good comes along, there is an outcry about things in it from some viewers. I remember in each of the series of Love/Hate, there was a violent incident or incidents complained about. This and last year, the same types were complaining about violent incidents in The Handmaid's Tale in much the same way. People should know that these dramas are about Irish gangland and a violent misogynist fictional dictatorship called the Republic of Gilead respectively and they are not adaptations of chick lit and the like! The worlds are depicted as they should be in each.

After watching season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale and Love/Hate back to back earlier in the year, both are as good as each other. So, Irish drama can hold with the best of them. Same when watching Love/Hate and Breaking Bad at the same time: both excellent. RTE's post-Love/Hate dramas could not be included in that bracket. Some are interesting but flawed and others are not up to scratch at all.

Taken Down has 4 more episodes to go and will it be a good and realistic depiction of its theme or will it be another sanitised post-Love/Hate RTE drama that compromises for the squeamish. Or will it have a split personality with the Carolan-scripted episodes (if there are episodes scripted mostly by each writer) looking more Love/Hate-ish and the Spain episodes more sanitised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Of course they should. Series that get more than one season are doing something right (with a few exceptions like Striking Out).

When a violent TV series that is good comes along, there is an outcry about things in it from some viewers. I remember in each of the series of Love/Hate, there was a violent incident or incidents complained about. This and last year, the same types were complaining about violent incidents in The Handmaid's Tale in much the same way. People should know that these dramas are about Irish gangland and a violent misogynist fictional dictatorship called the Republic of Gilead respectively and they are not adaptations of chick lit and the like! The worlds are depicted as they should be in each.

After watching season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale and Love/Hate back to back earlier in the year, both are as good as each other. So, Irish drama can hold with the best of them. Same when watching Love/Hate and Breaking Bad at the same time: both excellent. RTE's post-Love/Hate dramas could not be included in that bracket. Some are interesting but flawed and others are not up to scratch at all.

Taken Down has 4 more episodes to go and will it be a good and realistic depiction of its theme or will it be another sanitised post-Love/Hate RTE drama that compromises for the squeamish. Or will it have a split personality with the Carolan-scripted episodes (if there are episodes scripted mostly by each writer) looking more Love/Hate-ish and the Spain episodes more sanitised.

I have always thought Love/hate is hugely over rated, The whole fizzy orange thing with Tommy was laughable and there was plenty mre things lke that, It was good for RTe and that's about it,
    Now you have gone and compared it to breaking bad, come on there not even close in quality

I have always thought Love/hate is hugely over rated, The whole fizzy orange thing with Tommy was laughable and there was plenty mre things lke that, It was good for RTe and that's about it,
    Now you have gone and compared it to breaking bad, come on there not even close in quality

Personally I found Love/Hate to be as good as Breaking Bad and the other series I mentioned. IMDB rate it 8.4/10. Breaking Bad is on 9.5/10. The Handmaid's Tale is on 8.6/10. Sure the 2 US TV shows beat it but slightly. 8.4/10 is excellent for an Irish series on a much lower budget made during the recession. Breaking Bad and The Handmaid's Tale are on 96% and 92% respectively on Rotten Tomatoes. Love/Hate is not listed but would I predict be around 90% if there. If Love/Hate was from a bigger country, it would be rated even higher.

Some people will rate shows different (I have never got into The Wire for example even though it is universally praised and is a good show but not for me I guess). For me and many others, Love/Hate was something that I looked forward to each week. I wish I could say the same about the shows of the last 4 years on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just been told that a couple of key characters are only getting introduced this Sunday and if you're squeamish, its not something you'll want to watch. :)

I don't like lager, I despise rap music, I utterly hate The Office and I'd rather stare at a blank wall than watch x-factor or strictly. - But that is MY opinion and does not make any of these things crap or bad or anything.

Imagine if we only had one channel and everyone had to like what was on it? - We'd be an utterly boring race.

Basically, if you don't like it, that's fine, but eff off to another channel and stop the childish moronic back seat critique and maybe let the thread get back to discussing the programme.

And finally, it was NEVER EVER promoted as the "New Love Hate". Its from the same team as Love Hate, hence cinematography and production values would be strong, but no storyline connection in anyway shoe or form.

Can you give a clue like, is it a forensic or a mortuary sequence or is it extreme violence, If its the cutting up of dead bodies such as episode 2 hinted I will just close my eyes, the extreme violence I suppose I'm desensitised too after Love Hate and the likes of Vikings ha ha. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm calling this now, based on a rewatch of the end of episode 2 - the latter part of this season is going to involve a serious amount of "this sh!te happens because they're not allowed to work legally, but they're stuck here for so long" dialogue and will most likely involve the two main Gardaí going on a campaigning crusade to that effect.

I hope not as I feel this would again be too obvious and too far into the "use the drama slot to push an agenda" territory, but I'm primarily basing this theory, apart from the ending of episode 2 which seems to set it up, on the last episode of Acceptable Risk. I know it's a different production company and all that, but as I said in a previous post this seems to be the way a lot of drama is going over the last couple of years so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I found Love/Hate to be as good as Breaking Bad and the other series I mentioned. IMDB rate it 8.4/10. Breaking Bad is on 9.5/10. The Handmaid's Tale is on 8.6/10. Sure the 2 US TV shows beat it but slightly. 8.4/10 is excellent for an Irish series on a much lower budget made during the recession. Breaking Bad and The Handmaid's Tale are on 96% and 92% respectively on Rotten Tomatoes. Love/Hate is not listed but would I predict be around 90% if there. If Love/Hate was from a bigger country, it would be rated even higher.

Some people will rate shows different (I have never got into The Wire for example even though it is universally praised and is a good show but not for me I guess). For me and many others, Love/Hate was something that I looked forward to each week. I wish I could say the same about the shows of the last 4 years on RTE.

I only got around to watching Breaking Bad this year, and I can clearly see the parallels and how Love/Hate was heavily influenced by the writing breakthroughs and envelopes pushed by Breaking Bad. The one thing I'd say, and I think this is almost universally agreed by most Love/Hate fans, is that it failed to live up to Breaking Bad not in any way because of subpar writing or acting, but because it lacked sufficient breathing space thanks to the short seasons it was commissioned for. Try to imagine seasons three and four of Breaking Bad - the Gus Fring era - playing out over six or twelve episodes in total instead of 24, it would still have been good, but it would have suffered from the obvious "the writers really want to do epic things here, but they have to cram the last few episodes of the season because of the length constraint" problem which Love/Hate did. Season Six of Love/Hate in particular was a mess in my view -
    a much hyped up prison break in one episode, followed by an almost immediate recapture in the very next episode with no time for the tension to build in between
    is one obvious example, as well as season one's plot twist of
    Darren figuring out that Hughie had shot Robbie
    which seemed to come almost entirely out of left field, but could have made more sense with more time for everything to percolate.

This obviously doesn't get solved without RTE devoting more of its budget to its crime dramas, and it's clearly still possible to pull off epic television even with such season length constraints in mind, but several of their dramas could have been far better without being so rushed.

• Advertisement

I'm calling this now, based on a rewatch of the end of episode 2 - the latter part of this season is going to involve a serious amount of "this sh!te happens because they're not allowed to work legally, but they're stuck here for so long" dialogue and will most likely involve the two main Gardaí going on a campaigning crusade to that effect.

I hope not as I feel this would again be too obvious and too far into the "use the drama slot to push an agenda" territory, but I'm primarily basing this theory, apart from the ending of episode 2 which seems to set it up, on the last episode of Acceptable Risk. I know it's a different production company and all that, but as I said in a previous post this seems to be the way a lot of drama is going over the last couple of years so it wouldn't surprise me.

There will be a lot of that and it won't be very interesting. RTE drama has disimproved steadily over the last few years and now even the relative disappointment that was Clean Break looks relatively decent in comparison to more recent efforts.

People will say including myself that the very first 2 episodes of Love/Hate were not as good as what would happen in both the latter 2 episodes of the first season and the subsequent seasons but they were still streets ahead of the first 2 episodes of Taken Down and had a purpose to sow the seeds for the change of pace of episodes 3 and 4 of that season.
    I only got around to watching Breaking Bad this year, and I can clearly see the parallels and how Love/Hate was heavily influenced by the writing breakthroughs and envelopes pushed by Breaking Bad. The one thing I'd say, and I think this is almost universally agreed by most Love/Hate fans, is that it failed to live up to Breaking Bad not in any way because of subpar writing or acting, but because it lacked sufficient breathing space thanks to the short seasons it was commissioned for. Try to imagine seasons three and four of Breaking Bad - the Gus Fring era - playing out over six or twelve episodes in total instead of 24, it would still have been good, but it would have suffered from the obvious "the writers really want to do epic things here, but they have to cram the last few episodes of the season because of the length constraint" problem which Love/Hate did. Season Six of Love/Hate in particular was a mess in my view -
    a much hyped up prison break in one episode, followed by an almost immediate recapture in the very next episode with no time for the tension to build in between
    is one obvious example, as well as season one's plot twist of
    Darren figuring out that Hughie had shot Robbie
    which seemed to come almost entirely out of left field, but could have made more sense with more time for everything to percolate.

This obviously doesn't get solved without RTE devoting more of its budget to its crime dramas, and it's clearly still possible to pull off epic television even with such season length constraints in mind, but several of their dramas could have been far better without being so rushed.

I too was a late comer to series like Breaking Bad and The Handmaid's Tale too. Largely to fill the void left over by Love/Hate and the lack of good Irish drama. I'm glad I did. I have yet to watch Game of Thrones and need to watch The Sopranos again which was great all them years ago.

I agree as do other fans that Love/Hate should have been longer than just 6 episodes per season 2-5 and 4 episodes in season 1. If RTE would stop all its reality TV output, then it would have the budget for it but they didn't want to do that sadly.
    Can you give a clue like, is it a forensic or a mortuary sequence or is it extreme violence, If its the cutting up of dead bodies such as episode 2 hinted I will just close my eyes, the extreme violence I suppose I desensitised too after Love Hate and the likes of Vikings ha ha. :)

Going on the first 2 episodes, there was nothing to warrant the warnings about upsetting scenes given on Sunday last. There would be more upsetting scenes in a standard Coronation Street episode. Extreme violence on RTE dramas ended when Fran was left in a pool of blood in prison and Nidge was shot up badly in his Kildare hideout 4 years ago. After that, it has been toned down drama after toned down drama that shies away from violence.

All said and done, I am giving Taken Down a chance and I want to see the Stuart Carolan in it (he most certainly didn't write episode 2). Maybe episode 3 may bring things closer to the type of drama I want it to be. It will also determine if I will buy the DVD or not. One mediocre, one poor and then good episodes will be still acceptable but three mediocre to poor ones in a row out of 6 would not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

As I suspected this seems like more liberal feminist/asylum seeker propaganda. The reality is we are overflowing with fraudulent asylum seekers and those turned down spend years exhausting the appeal process and we rarely deport any of them.

Most of the tweets so far are liberals feigning outrage about direct provision.

Just readings these posts and I'm glad I don't live in Ireland and subject to this agenda. Actually I'm watching the Wire at the moment as I've never seen It before, PC wise it's probably the polar opposite of this. Made before all this madness that has swept the US and Ireland and by christ what a show it is, awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Just readings these posts and I'm glad I don't live in Ireland and subject to this agenda. Actually I'm watching the Wire at the moment as I've never seen It before, PC wise it's probably the polar opposite of this. Made before all this madness that has swept the US and Ireland and by christ what a show it is, awesome.
    The Wire is class. It's not really trying to force some political agenda down your throat in a half arsed way, it's just brilliant television. It also did highlight a lot of issues in it's own way. But it wasn't forced on the viewer. First and foremost it was a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The Wire was by no means a hit when it first aired state-side, its a small miracle it lasted the five series. Perhaps white America had some of the same thematic issues with it as people seem to have here with Taken Down. I recall one of The Wire's writers speculating the reasoning for the show's low viewership may have been as simple as white people flicking channels and not staying on the show due to its mainly black cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The Wire was by no means a hit when it first aired state-side, its a small miracle it lasted the five series. Perhaps white America had some of the same thematic issues with it as people seem to have here with Taken Down. I recall one of The Wire's writers speculating the reasoning for the show's low viewership may have been as simple as white people flicking channels and not staying on the show due to its mainly black cast.

The Wire also was one of the earliest 'Ugly' shows. It didn't hide from the dark stuff. I personally think it was because it had a rotating cast that people didn't get into it-there was no central character, the city was the substitute for that. The strange thing is, many shows in that era weren't huge hits-Arrested Development being another one. But they were critically acclaimed. Yet couldn't pull an audience. (When the show returned-it wasn't as good. It's on season 5 now, and nobody's watching it as the quality is so much less.
    The only show, at least, that seemed to get the critics and the audience was The Sopranos.

If it was airing on Netflix, it probably would have been a major hit. But Netflix wasn't around in the format it is now.
    And the Wire benefited from being told in a serial, 'you'll have to wait until next week' format. Bingewatching has harmed a lot of shows.

The problem with Taken Down is NOT the message it wants to portray but is the whole toned down afraid to show the world it wants to depict attitude (based on 2 episodes: I hope it might change but I doubt it). The topic about asylum seekers and those who exploit them is interesting but the way it is presented so far is not.

Shows will be sympathetic to different agendas and I don't care what agenda they push as long as it is not fascism, racism, sectarian agenda, misogynist agenda and bad American foreign policy justified. The important thing is the drama is produced in a professional thoughtful manner and depicts the reality of the situation and is good natured. For example, Love/Hate delves into the world of gangland convincingly and The Handmaid's Tale depicts the misogynist tyranny of a fascist state called Gilead convincingly. Both do not glorify evil but are warnings against evil societies.

Taken Down on the other hand is good natured and on the side of righteousness like other dramas BUT is not interesting enough. Yes, if Taken Down and a bunch of biased Chuck Norris neo-fascist films were all that were available, Taken Down's first 2 episodes are preferable. Thank god, this is not what we are reduced to though and Taken Down should be produced better than what we have got so far.

The problem with Taken Down is NOT the message it wants to portray but is the whole toned down afraid to show the world it wants to depict attitude (based on 2 episodes: I hope it might change but I doubt it). The topic about asylum seekers and those who exploit them is interesting but the way it is presented so far is not.

Shows will be sympathetic to different agendas and I don't care what agenda they push as long as it is not fascism, racism, sectarian agenda, misogynist agenda and bad American foreign policy justified. The important thing is the drama is produced in a professional thoughtful manner and depicts the reality of the situation and is good natured. For example, Love/Hate delves into the world of gangland convincingly and The Handmaid's Tale depicts the misogynist tyranny of a fascist state called Gilead convincingly. Both do not glorify evil but are warnings against evil societies.

Taken Down on the other hand is good natured and on the side of righteousness like other dramas BUT is not interesting enough. Yes, if Taken Down and a bunch of biased Chuck Norris neo-fascist films were all that were available, Taken Down's first 2 episodes are preferable. Thank god, this is not what we are reduced to though and Taken Down should be produced better than what we have got so far.

TV Now had a good analysis of the show, I felt. I think he made some points of his own about Ireland and the situations. I felt these were important, but also, it stood out in that 'the show' should be showing this-not a TV critic in the back of a tv magazine. (No offence to him, in fact it was quite informative. But it was also a reminder that the show itsself should be telling us this-not someone else who's not writing for it).

As others noted in previous posts, the gardai are portrayed as buffoonish and cartoonish. Even described as porn obsessed. And the leads, from what I gathered, he is not too impressed with.
    The criminal underworld element is interesting, but considering the amount of time we're spending with the guards, their weakness stands out like a sore thumb.

So, end of comments on TV Now editor, on to my own opinion.

It's a shame-you can tell some of the actors are talented. Even if others are... well, they'd be too subpar to star in a Coca Cola advert. It sort of reminds me of the weaknesses in the Love/ Hate when they showed us a glimpse of the garda operation to follow the criminals-the guards were soometimes wooden and lacking in the acting dept, even having the most stilted dialogue.
    It wasn't as noticeable then, because they weren't the main focus. But it's noticable now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

The guff about direct provision is just that guff. I live down the road from direct provision apartments, the other day a Nigerian fella from there was jailed for a few years. There is no war in Nigeria yet these Nigerian fraudsters keep flooding in and getting free housing ahead of Irish people. It's honestly sickening to witness and they are involved in a large amount of crime.

The guff about direct provision is just that guff. I live down the road from direct provision apartments, the other day a Nigerian fella from there was jailed for a few years. There is no war in Nigeria yet these Nigerian fraudsters keep flooding in and getting free housing ahead of Irish people. It's honestly sickening to witness and they are involved in a large amount of crime.

Oh, most definitely. That was the part of TV Now's review that I felt was preachy as hell. Yes, it's not great, but nobody was innocent then.
    I remember there were places close to me that had a similar situation as you describe, including robberies, and one or two attacks on locals.

Tho, when they moved out, more dregs (not just asylum seekers, but urban scumbags) moved in. And it was the same thing over and over again.

• Advertisement

TV Now had a good analysis of the show, I felt. I think he made some points of his own about Ireland and the situations. I felt these were important, but also, it stood out in that 'the show' should be showing this-not a TV critic in the back of a tv magazine. (No offence to him, in fact it was quite informative. But it was also a reminder that the show itsself should be telling us this-not someone else who's not writing for it).

As others noted in previous posts, the gardai are portrayed as buffoonish and cartoonish. Even described as porn obsessed. And the leads, from what I gathered, he is not too impressed with.
    The criminal underworld element is interesting, but considering the amount of time we're spending with the guards, their weakness stands out like a sore thumb.

So, end of comments on TV Now editor, on to my own opinion.

It's a shame-you can tell some of the actors are talented. Even if others are... well, they'd be too subpar to star in a Coca Cola advert. It sort of reminds me of the weaknesses in the Love/ Hate when they showed us a glimpse of the garda operation to follow the criminals-the guards were soometimes wooden and lacking in the acting dept, even having the most stilted dialogue.
    It wasn't as noticeable then, because they weren't the main focus. But it's noticable now.

The portrayal of the Gardaí in this show is a mix of stereotypes and is not a true depiction. Since some of the main characters in this show are Gardaí, then they should be played better.

The Gardaí played a very minor role in the first 3 series of Love/Hate. Most of the time, it was them raiding the homes of Nidge and co and questioning them. The only character who was a Garda to play a bigger role was the crooked cop Martin. In series 4 and 5, the Gardaí got a much bigger role but while some of them were not the best actors and they engaged in buffoonish ways like spraying Elmo's apartments, they were never the main focus as that was always Nidge and Fran.

At the end of the day though, Love/Hate is way superior to Taken Down. Taken Down lacks any standout characters so far. The standout memorable characters in Love/Hate were there from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Have RTE just one female actor?

She seems to be in everything.

nuac wrote: »

I suppose we should be grateful it's not Amy Huberman.

I suppose we should be grateful it's not Amy Huberman.

Amy Huberman is in most things but she is not in Taken Down surprisingly. Amy's series tend to be very light and that she is not in TD may hold out hope for the series to get better with the next few episodes.

Striking Out and Finding Joy are typical of Amy's shows, where she essentially plays the same person in different situations.

Tomorrow is the halfway mark for Taken Down. Like the first season of Love/Hate, it is a whodunit but so far not an interesting one. Episode 3 needs to give us a bit of action and up the ante. Tomorrow will be make or break for it and I wonder will we have watched some proper drama or another poor episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Tomorrow is the halfway mark for Taken Down. Like the first season of Love/Hate, it is a whodunit but so far not an interesting one. Episode 3 needs to give us a bit of action and up the ante. Tomorrow will be make or break for it and I wonder will we have watched some proper drama or another poor episode.
    I've been told it's the big episode, new character and as in a post above, some stomach churning scenes.

Can't get any more info from this person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which one? The only thing the lead actress has done on RTE since Love Hate is a small part in Rebellion.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4927337/

I've been told it's the big episode, new character and as in a post above, some stomach churning scenes.

Can't get any more info from this person.

Sort of looking forward to episode 3 so hopefully it won't disappoint. Hopefully, the only critics of it are the same people who criticised Love/Hate and The Handmaid's Tale for being too violent/gruesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Start of this episode looks promising, Git might just carry it on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hard chaw dub over acting to the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

Hard chaw dub over acting to the last.

Absolutely. Typical home produced crap.

• Advertisement

Fair city levels of acting quality from that hard chaw guy

Start of this episode looks promising, Git might just carry it on his own.

He's fantastic. And he makes the viewer edgy in every scene he is in. Similarities to Doing money the first scene

Already a vast improvement on the previous two episodes combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,987 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fair city levels of acting quality from that hard chaw guy

Hammier than the Denny factory.

This is dreadful fare.

The #metoo agenda is as subtle as a sledgehammer in this, we get it already,all men are bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I've given up on it. Better to read the comments here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 joanne_ryan83

i give this series a 9/10
    it highlights and crystallizes the racism of white irish people against people of colour
    irish people are very racist against refugees

They are shooting Willie O Dea

The #metoo agenda is as subtle as a sledgehammer in this, we get it already,all men are bastards.

excuse me sir,
    men of coulour are not,
    only the white men who are racist, fascism

• Advertisement

Hammier than the Denny factory.
    sir you are forgetting what king leopold of belgium did to my friends in the congo
    its payback time

Can’t watch this crap anymore. I’m out

This is dreadful fare.
    sir
    in anotha thraed you say you re not paying your tv licence
    so you don really not have a position to commen ton this matter, sir

excuse me sir,
    men of coulour are not,

Yep nice try Joanne :rolleyes: Take your childish drivel elsewhere

excuse me sir,
    men of coulour are not,

In fairness they do show a black pimp and madame exploiting other non nationals.

sir

Where is this other thread so? It doesn’t exist does it?

sir

Hi Joanne, at what time will you be deleting your rubbish posts?

sir

Your butchering very basic words in the English language.... your not in a position to comment on anything. Bye bye now.

In fairness they do show a black pimp and madame exploiting other non nationals.

Oh but these people are the most marginalised in society. If we all showed them more love then they wouldnt be like this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Alot of ball-breaking going on, is this Goodfellas?

Advertisement