Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kurushi, best present my bro ever gave, at least, since the NeoGeoCD, or the Amiga CD32, or the Speccy48k, wow, I have the best bro ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Castlevania 3 on the VC. Was advised to get either that or Megaman 2 by retr0 (thanks btw!:D) and went for Castlevania because I've never played a Castlevania game before and I have Mega Man in the GameBoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Get Megaman 2 the moment you're done with Castlevania. It's a real test of your platforming abilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Get Megaman 2 the moment you're done with Castlevania. It's a real test of your platforming abilities.

And brilliant to boot.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was going to include some tracks from it in that 8-bit music thread..but there are just too many good songs! Can't possibly make a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played a bit of Megaman 2 on a NES emu running on my GBA Micro, wtf!
    I mean, why does he only shoot forwards, when so many of his enemies are coming from above?
    Is this an artifact of the emu?
    Does he actually have a few more degrees of movement?
    Or is it all a bit, naff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I mean, why does he only shoot forwards, when so many of his enemies are coming from above?

No that sounds about right. Megaman is brilliant...no-one said he was smart though!

Master of the Universe

Robots generally have limited movement :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're just shit, get used to it because megaman 2 will constantly remind you of it. If you want to shoot in multiple directions beat metalman first to get his weapon. He's one of the easier bosses but still a toughie.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're just shit.

Wow, thanks, that's really nice of you to say so :(

Maybe I'm not wanted around here anymore.....

I'll just take my ball and go home so....

I was hoping to make 3000 posts here, but if that's how you feel, I'll just head off and play a bit of Halo ODST to cheer myself up.

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks, that's really nice of you to say so :(

Maybe I'm not wanted around here anymore.....

I'll just take my ball and go home so....

I was hoping to make 3000 posts here, but if that's how you feel, I'll just head off and play a bit of Halo ODST to cheer myself up.

Don't worry, the game likes to kick your ass and let you know how **** you are. It happened to me the first time I played it. It's harsh but fair though, you'll get better at it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Playing Typing of the Dead for Dreamcast.

Master of the Universe

Spent a bit of time earlier today playing Galaxy Force 2 and Aladdin for the Megadrive.

Aladdin doesn't really need any introduction...Galaxy Force 2 on the other hand..uber meh. Some interesting scrolling pseudo 3d visuals..but not much apart from that. It suffers from 'weak' projectiles. In that whenever you shoot it seems like you're firing cotton wool/peas.

I've heard it's actually a rather bland port of an arcade game.

I have galaxy force 2 on the megadrive, it's ok but meh. The arcade game is a whole lot better because it looks absolutely stunning but I still couldn't say it was an amazing game. There's an excellent saturn conversion of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

As part of my play every DC game I own project (on hold, I'm waiting for a Jap DC to come in so that I can play non-PAL games without a boot disk), I've gotten caught up in Tony Hawk 2 AGAIN! Class game.

Tony Hawks 2, the only one of the franchise I played at all, very cool indeed.

I remember playing Galaxy Force II in the arcade on the quays, next to O'Connel bridge on the south side, a very cool game, I believe the megadrive version kinda sucked though, the review scores were consistently lousy.

I see the guy with the Games House has run into hiding, probably thinks we're all going to rob him blind,
    message to you "Partner", if that is your real name, we all have enough retro goodies of our own to be getting on with, no one is going to raid your gaff!

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't mind a Neo Geo :D

Master of the Universe

I suppose that's the problem with having loads of stuff...more to worry about :(

/Goes to the spare room to make sure his Neo Geo is still there.

I'm not that worried at my stuff going missing, although all you'd have to do is come to the house when I'm at work, ask my better half for it all and she'd help you with it into the car!

Not easy being married to a game hater, but there you go.
    There must be a better name for that, anti-gameite perhaps...

Master of the Universe

Excellent! Anyone know where Ciderman lives.....????

Player hater maybe? OOOh! is that what that term actually means? I always wondered...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Spent some time today testing out Granada on the Megadrive. Great game! Better than I thought it would be. Like a mix of Gauntlet, Micro Machines and Bangai-O Spirits. I'm suprised it doesn't get mentioned more often.

I have a very nice full genesis/megadrive and Snes romset al ready to go on the Wii, but my SD Card has seen fit not to want to read them!
    It's not that they are in the wrong format, it's all just gone a bit Pete Tong...
    The HBC still reads the SD card, as does the main Wii desktop, but when in one of the emulators, which all load fine, they won't read the SD Card at all, just bounce back with an error!
    Arse!

Full romsets on an SD card for the Wii? Thought the Wii only read 2Gb SD cards anyway?

I've got a 2Gb SD card but I think I can't use bigger. There's no way I could fit full rom sets on them, I had to be selective and go through the rom lists and pick out the games I hadn't beaten yet and wanted to play as well as trawling the web for some choice obscurities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The Wii supports up to 8Gb SDHC cards now, which I suspect is what the problem is.

The homebrew channel and most loaders now support SDHC cards but alot of the older emulators don't.

To see if this is the case use a stick smaller than 2Gb and see if the romset loads up correctly. If so then you need to update your emulators Ciderman. That or you could just use a loader that has USB support and plug in an external HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

doom on the 32x,the border around the screen reminds me of playing it on an old p.c,infact i think it would run faster on my A1200 with its 040 card..

The only thing more disgraceful than the 32X port is the dreadful Saturn port.

Master of the Universe

It can't be worse than the 32X version?..... Can it?

Or do you mean worse given the better hardware they had at their disposal?

No I mean worse as in I'd rather play the awful 32X version. The Saturn version suffers from all the same problems of the 32X version like the way there's only the front animations of the enemies except it runs at around 10FPS. Neither version should be played by anyone.

Ah Doom, best version I have played was on the PSone, a lovely version, packed with levels, and you coul dlink up and kick your mates arse, which I did, mmmm, nice....

Worst version, the 3DO version was awful, worse than the 32X version, didn't go mad for the N64 version either, didn't feel or look like Doom, tbh.

Still fiddling with the SD Card, no joy, it's worked before, so I don't know.

Might see if I can find a more updated emu, one that can use a SDhc card.

• Advertisement

I think the Saturn version is considered the worst version by far but the 3DO version is absolute scutter as well.

Advertisement