Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent help for an alcoholic

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I hope your ok OP, while it’s noble to try and help this person it’s most important to help yourself especially if you tend to end up in the care taker role.
    Lots of suggestions And resources have been supplied. While the person you are trying to help might be a technophobe There is no rational or logical reason they cannot learn to use online resources to help them. My concern here is that in my (sadly vast) experience alcoholics are very good at making themselves at a loss and in need so that you have to step up to the plate instead of them and deliver the help they need. If they really want help (hard to gauge when they are in the middle of an episode I appreciate and know from experience), they need to make an effort to at least meet in the middle and not down tools and wait for rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Can I ask, how difficult is it to get someone into one of these centres?
    If a GP refers someone for addiction, is there long waiting lists at addiction centres?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can I ask, how difficult is it to get someone into one of these centres?
    If a GP refers someone for addiction, is there long waiting lists at addiction centres?

There can be but my brother got into one for alcohol addiction back in July fairly quick,cuan mhuire in Limerick, do you have an addiction counselor in your local area? find out and contact them and they should be able to help you or contact the center and ask for help, they have to want to go in as well otherwise it will not work which is what happened my brother the first time he went in. Good luck you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intuitive

I'm with big bag of chips here.

I'm sure I'd want to fix things too if I were in a similar situation

I have a relative with addiction issues too. I have read extensively on the topic and they are the the only ones who can solve this problem, unfortunately.

It's great news that they have come to the conclusion that they have a problem. It's a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

OP hasn't posted in a while.. i wonder how things are..

Advertisement