Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunstroke 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Wonder will this become a bit of a one hit wonder a 10k capacity festival with two headliners that could probably pull that and more in a 3 arena date not even sold out after 3 months, must be a bit of a disappointment for the promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wonder will this become a bit of a one hut wonder a 10k capacity festival with two headliners that could probably pull that and more in a 3 arena date not even sold out after 3 months, must be a bit of a disappointment for the promoters.

Hopefully not. Theres a good top end with that lineup, but I dont feel they are bands that would draw in the casual rock/metal fans. Wont be hearing many deftones/fnm songs on the radio unfortunately

Mushy wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Theres a good top end with that lineup, but I dont feel they are bands that would draw in the casual rock/metal fans. Wont be hearing many deftones/fnm songs on the radio unfortunately

Think the festival is geared towards having non radio acts, just a pity is hasn't sold better considering the low capacity and arguably reasonable pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Is is definitely 10K, then?

The likes of Placebo and Ghost heavily tapered the 3 Arena's upstairs. No way Deftones would be getting 10k there, I don't think.

Is is definitely 10K, then?

The likes of Placebo and Ghost heavily tapered the 3 Arena's upstairs. No way Deftones would be getting 10k there, I don't think.

According to overdrive its 10k, haven't heard anyone else report capacity bar viagogo who quote 80k which i think is just the max for any gig there period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wonder will this become a bit of a one hit wonder a 10k capacity festival with two headliners that could probably pull that and more in a 3 arena date not even sold out after 3 months, must be a bit of a disappointment for the promoters.

The fact its MCD i doubt it will be a one hit wonder festival and i doubt they were expecting it to sell out in the first year. I remember going to the first Forbidden Fruit with a similiar capacity and didnt sell out.
    Its about building up the brand etc

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah, give it a rest mate.

The names that liked your post are a bunch of sackless cowards. If i have an issue with somebody , ill take it to them directly.

Me , I would never like a post that is a personal dig at somebody else.. It would make me feel small and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

What do musicians do ? They handle stuff. They handle stuff that gets handled dozens of times before they handle it themselves. Expect mass cancellations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Take a deep breath, Burty. It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Burty330 wrote: »
    What do musicians do ? They handle stuff. They handle stuff that gets handled dozens of times before they handle it themselves. Expect mass cancellations!!

Take it to the Wolf Parade thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

A One man crusade on the gigs and events forum haha the absolute state of those posts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Burty330 wrote: »
    The names that liked your post are a bunch of sackless cowards. If i have an issue with somebody , ill take it to them directly.

Me , I would never like a post that is a personal dig at somebody else.. It would make me feel small and petty.

Would you rather I and all of the rest of the 'likers' said, "Ah, give it a rest," instead?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I know that Overdrive have said it's a 10k capacity festival but thats just wrong, no way on earth will this be limited to 10k

All those bands, 3 stages, the huge venue. They would make a HUGE loss if only 10k tickets were available.

At a guess i'd say they're working on 30-40k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Deftones did 2 nights in Vicar Street last time they were here (~3000 total). FNM did 1 night in the Olympia last time they were here (1600). If the headliners are playing venues that size, there isn't a hope in hell of there being 30k there.
    The fact that there were still ads for early bird tickets recently suggests that there's a lot of unsold tickets, whether that's 10k or 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Deftones did 2 nights in Vicar Street last time they were here (~3000 total). FNM did 1 night in the Olympia last time they were here (1600). If the headliners are playing venues that size, there isn't a hope in hell of there being 30k there.

To be fair, the Olympia sold out in a nanosecond and they should be playing bigger venues but they're not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

FnM would fill arenas no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The fact that there were still ads for early bird tickets recently suggests that there's a lot of unsold tickets, whether that's 10k or 30k.

Because Punchestown is a disaster to get out of. Can't erase the 5 hours after of AC/DC from my mind. And can't face the camping idea. Haven't done it for 20 years.
    Sounds like a whinge, but it's what is putting me off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

FnM would fill arenas no bother
    doubtful, they don't do arenas in the UK either, all small venues there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

doubtful, they don't do arenas in the UK either, all small venues there too.

Smaller than arenas sure but medium size compared to what equates as small here I suppose.

Soundgarden would surely be bigger here and they didn't sell out the point a couple of years back it's safe to say FNM would actually be lucky to get similar numbers.

Surprised with a quick check it appears they actually have never ever played an arena in the UK, not even a one off? They did play the point here on the Angel Dust tour with L7 supporting off the back of having supported GnR that summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think the biggest venue FNM have played in the UK is Brixton Academy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

FNM were on the line up when Black Sabbath played Hyde Park in 2014, they were probably the best band on the day which did not help a very lackluster Soundgarden coming on after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Xenji wrote: »
    FNM were on the line up when Black Sabbath played Hyde Park in 2014, they were probably the best band on the day which did not help a very lackluster Soundgarden coming on after them.

It was an excellent gig alright. I really enjoyed Soundgarden too though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Smaller than arenas sure but medium size compared to what equates as small here I suppose.

Soundgarden would surely be bigger here and they didn't sell out the point a couple of years back it's safe to say FNM would actually be lucky to get similar numbers.

Surprised with a quick check it appears they actually have never ever played an arena in the UK, not even a one off? They did play the point here on the Angel Dust tour with L7 supporting off the back of having supported GnR that summer.

Exactly, one of the "small venues" in the UK that they're playing is the 02 Academy Brixton, capacity of just under 5,000 and both nights sold out in a flash.

As for that Soundgarden gig, it was only a week after EP and a Monday night, plus the album they were touring wasn't anything amazing. It should have done better but a few factors got in the way.

Be interesting too see if many people from other countries travel to this, if this festival is to grow year on year it needs to capitalise on download being less attractive to many Europeans to go to and have a lineup worth the extra expense of traveling to Ireland from the continent. Id say this year they've honestly done that, its the most adventurous lineup for a rock festival in Europe this year. There's just so much covered for such a small festival, flicking through some of the acts lower on the bill earlier and i was pretty impressed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Be interesting too see if many people from other countries travel to this, if this festival is to grow year on year it needs to capitalise on download being less attractive to many Europeans to go to and have a lineup worth the extra expense of traveling to Ireland from the continent. Id say this year they've honestly done that, its the most adventurous lineup for a rock festival in Europe this year. There's just so much covered for such a small festival, flicking through some of the acts lower on the bill earlier and i was pretty impressed myself.
    The line up is grand but most of those acts are playing elsewhere this summer, and what's padding it out smacks more of easy bookings than adventurous ones.

Day for day it's practically the same price as Download. Which objectively has way more going on and is next to an airport.

Not sure much Europeans travel to that either though. People on the continent tend to have world class festivals in their own backyards. Can't see anyone in the near future thinking they'd rather bin Wacken or Hellfest to go to Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

Just got an email back there from Sunstroke, I asked about camping and when would the campground be open from :

"Currently the campsite is to open from early Saturday morning until Monday morning/early afternoon.
    If this changes we will be making an announcement on our social channels."

So no Friday camping it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just saw weekend GA tickets are sold out. Still camping tickets available, so that's good to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

the email also said

We're due to update our FAQ soon but I've followed this up for you and can confirm the campsite is due to open at 9am Saturday, with music to start at 1pm each day.

Should start getting some info soon so...

Pretty late start for a festival, getting down on the Saturday morning is gonna be a bit of a pain too but sure what can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

To be fair, the Olympia sold out in a nanosecond and they should be playing bigger venues but they're not

FNM chose to play Olympia as they liked the venue, they could have played Point and sold that out too. In my 20 years of going to gigs in Dublin, the scarcity of FNM tickets on the secondary market was something I've never seen before or since.

Advertisement