Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunstroke 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

Arghus wrote: »
    If I was there I would have also bottled My Chemical Romance.

Oooh you're hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

spindex wrote: »
    Oooh you're hard.

I know. I'm a right rascal I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I recall cradle of filth getting a pretty poor reception supporting slayer in the point years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

mloc123 wrote: »
    I recall cradle of filth getting a pretty poor reception supporting slayer in the point years ago...

Surprised by that. I remember a stage years ago where cradle of filth t-shirts were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was at Reading Fest in 2000, First day headlined by Stereophonics.

In between RATM and Slipknot some idiot decided to put on Daphne and Celeste.....poor girls.

Another bit of bottling i remember well was in the 90's at Reading, some people were chucking stuff at L7, Donita Sparks shouted "You hurl mud, we'll hurl blood"...pulled her used tampon out and lobbed it into the crowd :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Sure didnt someone knock out the lead singer of Panic at The Disco with a bottle at Reading years ago too. Think Fightstar got bottled too

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Yeah bottling used to happen all over the shop. It's something which thankfully has more or less died out completely, which is a nice antidote to the usual "gigs are lifeless now" arguments. It wasn't all sunshine and roses back in the day.

On the Cradle of Filth note, personally I love them but there'd be a huge amount of snobbery around them from the kvlt edgelords since they were the big extreme metal band that courted some mainstream press coverage, took their sound in a more polished direction etc.

I think the fact that Dani Filth was smart enough to realise there's enough miserable Scandinavian music in the world, and you'd be best off going overly camp, poetic and having a laugh with it, made them ultimately brilliant and one of a kind in their own way.

Satan's far more fun when he's coming off the tongue of some pint of bitter and packet of pork scratchings bloke who doesn't actually believe in him, or go off making dodgy nods to the nazis, murder his bandmate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Oh wow, Daphne and Celeste - now that's a vague memory.
    Ended up Wikipediaing them and Daphne "She considered the Reading Festival to be the highlight of the whole experience"
    Seems they'd a 2018 reunion :pac:

I went to Download in 2006 (same year it was here but had to see Tool) and it was nothing but bottles.

Plastic bottles covered the ground. They were thrown everywhere, all the time. Couldn't walk without getting an empty plastic bottle to the head.
    Guns N Roses closed the festival and Axl got a bottle to him but it missed and hit the bassist. Instead Axl slipped, fell and had a tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I remember the Puddle of Mudd bottling. While I normally would be someone to roll my eyes at that carry on, Wes the singer didn’t do himself any favours. Their bus was visible when quing up, and when someone booed him he ran inside, and came back out holding a framed gold record while hurling some fairly homophobic comments at the crowd in the que.

When they did play they got the crowd to do a response chant “Puddle of Mud suck” “Puddle of Mud Suck” “They are ****” “They are ****” “I am a homo” “I am, wait what?” “Haha haha, you guys are all homos”.

So **** him.

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Oh wow, Daphne and Celeste - now that's a vague memory.
    Ended up Wikipediaing them and Daphne "She considered the Reading Festival to be the highlight of the whole experience"
    Seems they'd a 2018 reunion :pac:

I went to Download in 2006 (same year it was here but had to see Tool) and it was nothing but bottles.

Plastic bottles covered the ground. They were thrown everywhere, all the time. Couldn't walk without getting an empty plastic bottle to the head.
    Guns N Roses closed the festival and Axl got a bottle to him but it missed and hit the bassist. Instead Axl slipped, fell and had a tantrum.

Was a great weekend, after being at every Monsters of Rock/Donington since '85 that one in 2006 was the last time i went, too big, too corporate......

Axl was a bit of a tool as normal, his 'dancing' area at front as slippy, roadie hadn't dried it and he went off in a huff :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

scudzilla wrote: »
    Was a great weekend, after being at every Monsters of Rock/Donington since '85 that one in 2006 was the last time i went, too big, too corporate......

Axl was a bit of a tool as normal, his 'dancing' area at front as slippy, roadie hadn't dried it and he went off in a huff :pac::pac:

Yup, sounds about right :pac:

Download Festival has updated with a few names - kinda hoping we get Funeral for a Friend :D

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Yup, sounds about right :pac:

Download Festival has updated with a few names - kinda hoping we get Funeral for a Friend :D

Id take a few of the following from DL to be added(although i wont get my hopes up) :

Funeral For a Friend
    The Darkness
    Killswitch Engage
    Airbourne
    Alter Bridge
    The Offspring
    Theory of A Deadman

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Id take a few of the following from DL to be added(although i wont get my hopes up) :

Funeral For a Friend
    The Darkness
    Killswitch Engage
    Airbourne
    Alter Bridge
    The Offspring
    Theory of A Deadman
    Airborne and Alter Bridge supporting Maiden in Belfast on the Monday night

SUNSTROKE
    We're delighted to welcome three amazing additional acts to this years lineup! Say hello to Demob Happy, Heavy Lungs and Lucia & The Best Boys 🔥🔥🔥 #SUNSTROKE2020

84643336_161225181997524_1826601306966458368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=9PnnNjaUzdEAX-hmtR2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a4a85ba518ce32b0ebb7b6ca9f1cfc59&oe=5ECB676F

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Starting to fill up nicely. I would've preferred the likes of Therapy? to be announced but I'm getting less optimistic about that as time goes on...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I really don't get peoples obsession with getting therapy? On the bill, was the same with metallica at slane.

I really don't get peoples obsession with getting therapy? On the bill, was the same with metallica at slane.
    But...but...Ireland :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

SUNSTROKE

84643336_161225181997524_1826601306966458368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=9PnnNjaUzdEAX-hmtR2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a4a85ba518ce32b0ebb7b6ca9f1cfc59&oe=5ECB676F

Haha don't know any of the additions, would love them to announce some post band entertainment soon.

Also is friday open for camping I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Heavy Lungs very good at EP last year.

Because they're one of the most popular and successful rock acts in Ireland? ...and they played at one of the original Sunstroke festivals.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

How many stages are we looking at for this, around 25 bands per day so far so i'd say at least 3

scudzilla wrote: »
    How many stages are we looking at for this, around 25 bands per day so far so i'd say at least 3

I think it said three stages in the early press releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I see Seputlura high up on the bill but that name hasn't meant anything to me in 20 years. I think Max C made Soulfly with the essence of what that band was.
    Id actually be happier to see Soulfly there instead. I don't know anything this version of Seputurla.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Hi all was given a weekend ticket as a present but would really love to camp for this. Anyone willing to trade or any suggestions how I could sort this without buying a new ticket. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Burty330 wrote: »
    I see Seputlura high up on the bill but that name hasn't meant anything to me in 20 years. I think Max C made Soulfly with the essence of what that band was.
    Id actually be happier to see Soulfly there instead. I don't know anything this version of Seputurla.

Can understand I fell out with them after Nation, Against was just a continuation of Roots which I wasn't a massive fan of and Nation was pretty atrocious so they couldn't be the same to me but took them in on the Kairos tour live at a festival purely out of nostalgia really and have to say it changed my opinion...the records since have been worthwhile I'm not suggesting they come close to Beneath the Remains etc For my money the likes of Sworn Oath,Convicted in Life and The Vatican are up there with the classic tunes

I see Seputlura high[...]version of Seputurla.

*Sepultura

They were blistering at Bloodstock awhile back. Sleep on this version at your peril...

According to Overdrive there is another announcement tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Wonder who'll be added,would like someone like new model army,the mission or sisters of mercy to complement killing joke and fields of the nephilim. Can't see any biggish band been added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I gotta say the setup of this has been awful from such an experienced promoter. This festival wasnt exactly cheep and after buying camping tickets when they released i have no idea what there is to do at this Festival outside the bands or what day i can even show up on or leave on, camping one or three nights is a pretty big difference and something which should be well advertised by now. I feel like MCD arent putting there all into this festival at all.

Advertisement