Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 6

Options

Comments

Looks pretty similar to 5. And I was one of those who hated 5 and still love 4. So I can't say I'm too excited but I'm interested to see how it has changed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't think it was possible for anyone to hate Civ 5.

Well, maybe hate it in a "I've spent 4 hours on my last turn before going to bed" kind of way, but not any other way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The graphics/ style looks much better in video then it first appeared it would be in screenshots.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I knew straight away that people would be a lot more forgiving on the graphics now that they've seen them in action :D I still really like the look. Folding in the districts idea from other games is a decent idea. Looks like Wonders have to be build in one now, which might put the kybosh on my capital having 10 World Wonders in future :)

Feck that! Wonder City I will call it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

All this civ talk has me wanting to play civ v again, bought it but only played one or two skirmish matches before getting distracted by other games.
    Is the vanilla game worth playing still?

If you don't Gods & Kings and Brave New World, I'd strongly urge you to consider it. Then get Info Addict (on Steam Workshop) and the Enhanced User Interface (a download that the game treats as DLC) and you've got a great game. Add to that the additional mods like new civs, new ages (Age of Enlightment) or the Community Balance Mod which changes the game in a big way (and seemingly to cater for the tastes of Civ 4 players).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »

A bunch of my friends hated 5 when it came out. I think it was mostly loyalty to 4, though, and shock from the big changes that happened.

I think the videos of 6 look encouraging. UI is super slick, looks aren't nearly as cartoonish as it first seems, really like the sprawling city idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder will Gandhi be back to his warlike genocidal behaviour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Shiminay wrote: »
    If you don't Gods & Kings and Brave New World, I'd strongly urge you to consider it. Then get Info Addict (on Steam Workshop) and the Enhanced User Interface (a download that the game treats as DLC) and you've got a great game. Add to that the additional mods like new civs, new ages (Age of Enlightment) or the Community Balance Mod which changes the game in a big way (and seemingly to cater for the tastes of Civ 4 players).

Thanks mate, although I'm not seeing enhanced user interface in the workshop.

• Advertisement

it's not a workshop mod, it's separate: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512263

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I can't thank what Shiminay says enough. Civ 5 is as deep a game as you could want, but you do need BNW and G&K. The Enhanced UI and the Infoaddict mod only make it easier for you to get at information to determine your strategy, but they're fantastic additions.

Civ 5 with all the expansions is one of the best games for balance, fine-tuning and replayability out there. There are various tiers of Civs (different for multi-and-single-player) in terms of their unique units/buildings/abilities but you can win with any of them. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of gameplay easily.

Kiith wrote: »

Well, maybe hate it in a "I've spent 4 hours on my last turn before going to bed" kind of way, but not any other way :P

Heh.

There's quite a few people who still prefer 4. I still play Realism Invictus in fits and starts, would turn to it before 5 anytime. Even vanilla Beyond The Sword. 5 was/is considered a much more casual and dumbed-down successor to 4 by a lot of long-time civ fans. Including myself.

5 does look a lot better though.

The pessimist in me predicts 6 will be very similar to 5. 5 was a massive success for Firaxis and 2K.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sean Bean Narrated video:

Seems roads are now part in parcel with traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Sean Bean Narrated video:

Seems roads are now part in parcel with traders.

After all the indie/bedroom/early-access stuff going on with VR right now it's really nice to see some proper triple-A development. Sean Bean; 12 minute walkthrough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks really good and, hopefully not just smoke and mirrors, very well polished already.

I wonder if there will be any VR support for this. Looking over your kingdom and the world with a headset sounds like it'd be great... all the text and menus might be at issue though. None of the headsets can really handle small text yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

I love the new road system, great idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

fuggin hype! looks brilliant

rip normal sleep pattern

sirboby wrote: »
    I love the new road system, great idea :)

only issue is how to use them for war too?

I can easily imagine someone refusing to trade with any other player simply because they dont want to give them a route to quickly push their armies through their territory.

I know historically the romans built roads as much for their armies as for their trade. So perhaps we will see an option for certain military units to build roads and railways as well? Perhaps a support/supply unit that can build a road or railway from a city to a military unit out in the open and then be consumed.

Again historically it would fit, the US army during world war 2 pretty much lived on its well oiled and much more efficient supply corps compared to the other armies during normandy.

It might be nice to see such units in civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    So perhaps we will see an option for certain military units to build roads and railways as well?

I recall reading in a write-up on some website that there will be a "military engineer" or some such unit in the midgame whose purpose is to build player-specific roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I recall reading in a write-up on some website that there will be a "military engineer" or some such unit in the midgame whose purpose is to build player-specific roads.

Yea i remember reading that later in the game you will be able to build roads more specifically, but im not sure if it was by a military unit. early game they will only be made by traders (as far as i know :))

TheChrisD wrote: »

that is correct.

Cool.
    Trade also works very similarly to Civ 5, where automated caravans travel back and forth between cities of your choosing and provide both ends with resource bonuses. There’s one major difference: trade caravans are, at least during these early turns, the only way to build roads between cities. “We thought that was a good way to go for the early game, because historically roads were built along trade routes,” says Beach. It also contributes to his larger goal of reducing tile-by-tile micromanagement, while dramatically increasing the role of both domestic and international trade until you research military engineers in the mid-game and can build your own roads.

source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/05/25/civilization-6s-new-game-changer-features

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

I hope they learn from civ beyond earth. also the military engineer offering the ability to build player specific roads is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Is Civilization 6 Theme song really written by a Grammy- winning composer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Confirmed.

Sean Bean is voicing research, movements, etc., for the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/sean-bean-civ-6/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Quill18 has made a series of videos with a preview build of the game released:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another video going into the Culture tree.

I hadn't really put much thought into the changes but the idea of a more fully fledged culture tree to run in parallel to the tech tree seems obvious in hindsight, and is a huge deal.

Generally speaking, all this interaction looks fantastic.

I was a bit worried about the direction Firaxis were heading with cheap cash-grab rubbish like Starships and not Alpha Centauri, but it looks from the outside at least that they're innovating and putting every bit of effort you'd expect into this.

I've been forcing myself not to install Civ5 again but it'll be worth it when I get to approach Civ 6 fresh in October.

Suppose this means Sean Bean cant die.

• Advertisement

Suppose this means Sean Bean cant die.

Advertisement