Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Totally forgot that BF1 was out this week too, so had to pick one and went with Bf1 :'(

Went with Green Man gaming, any ideas how long they take with their keys?

Will probs grab Civ next week when I get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

TheDoc wrote: »
    Went with Green Man gaming, any ideas how long they take with their keys?

I got mine immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

€40.09 using code promopro1609 at gamesdeal

http://www.gamesdeal.com/civilization-6-pc.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Do you need an outrageous laptop to play this on? How has the game improved since 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Livestream here:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Never played a civilization game before.

Worth a gamble??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The box for the collectors edition, really brought me back to my childhood days when games came in the big old cardboard boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

How easy is it to get a refund with steam these days? My laptops GeForce GT 635M graphics card doesnt look up to scratch and they haven't released a demo.
    I know the policy is within 14 days with less then 2 hours played but in practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Never played a civilization game before.

Worth a gamble??

Its not a gamble, its one of the best franchises of all time. If you like strategy games, this is for you.

One more turn.

• Advertisement

First impressions:

UI is buggy as hell. I did five minutes of the tutorial until the interface half-froze and I was told to fortify a warrior but the button didn't exist. Had to exit. The ability to zoom in and out randomly dies after trying to see citizens and yields in cities.

GUI is not to my taste at all. Far more minimalistic and less intuitive than V. Really reminds me of Beyond Earth, actually, which is very upsetting. You always have resource icons on the map; there is no option to disable this. You can only scroll with arrow keys; there is no option to change it to wasd. Mouse edge scrolling has to be enabled manually and is buggy as hell (scrolling to the top causes it to twitch up a bit; you have to keep wiggling the mouse to make it move. Worst thing: the view snaps back to your capital at the end of every turn; no ability to change this as far as I can see. Extremely annoying.

I can find no way to see the resource output of tiles not currently in your control: very annoying for trying to see if tiles are good or not for new cities. Like, oh looks, crabs, I wonder what they do for me? Can't see. You get a blue hex with a crab icon on it; that's it. Food? Gold? Your guess is as good as mine. Go build a city there to find out :/

It also fights you constantly if you try to alt-tab out of it.

I'm sure this is all teething problems but I'm actually feeling quite aggravated to run into this much bullshit within twenty minutes.

EDIT:
    Ok, if you hover the cursor on a tile without moving at all for two seconds a tooltip will pop up showing what the yields are.
    EDIT2:
    Moving military units is a total mess. I had a slinger in a city, which was surrounded by water, mountains, and enemy units. When I built a new warrior, I could not end my turn until I moved the warrior, but there was no where I was able to move it. Eventually I discovered that if I set them to auto-explore that counted as a movement even though they couldn't move, allowing me to end the turn with units stacked in what I think is an illegal way?

Also when I later tried to retreat a damaged warrior into a city it automatically moved a slinger out of the city to make room and put him on the front line for slaughtering.

Game looks like a big mess for me so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Having played 3 hours I have had none of the issues above. Didn't do tutorial, straight to a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Having played 3 hours I have had none of the issues above. Didn't do tutorial, straight to a game.

Its a remarkably negative rant!

Looking forward to have a first go later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭thegame983

Right. I played about half an hour last night. Is it my imagination or do you need to click on the 'move' icon to move a unit? As opposed to just selecting the unit and then clicking where you want it to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I had an issue where the game zoomed in really close after a while and I couldn't zoom out.

I don't know if my mouse wheel isn't working, but I couldn't find a hotkey to zoom back out :(

Think I might drop down from Prince for a bit until I get to grasps with it a little bit more since there was a lot of Barbs and other Civs were really out-teching me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

thegame983 wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or do you need to click on the 'move' icon to move a unit? As opposed to just selecting the unit and then clicking where you want it to move?

Select the unit and right-click where you want it to go. Works for me!

Played 30 minutes last night. No issues at all! Looks nice, plays smoothly. But 30 minutes is nothing :). Much the same as any other Civ game so far. Will see how things go over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Five hours into the game.

I like it. Looks nice, but seems less serious than it's predecessors.

Five hours is nothing for this game.

All I can say at the moment, is that it is different, fun, but is it better than Civ V, it's too early to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

What basic system requirement would you need to run this?

b_mac2 wrote: »
    What basic system requirement would you need to run this?

The Steam store page lists min and recommended specs: http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/

399742.png

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Its a remarkably negative rant!

I had a remarkably buggy and frustrating experience. I'll be giving it another go now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Ran perfectly for me. One thing though, how do you get your builders to auto improve their own cities? Or is this gone in VI?

Some things I haven't found, or aren't in the game..

-No queuing in the city production tab.
    -The demographics menu, which has been slowly whittled away over the years, now appears to be gone altogether, which is a pity. It was good for roleplaying.
    -Clear marking on the map and in the popups. It was a pain in the arse to figure out where barbs were spawning in Civ 5 even with the giant flashing popup, but now there's just a grunting noise and a nearly invisible change in the fog of war. In general, it's a bit tricky to follow what's going along, and my fledgling empire is still only 4 cities wide.

Mostly I love it though. I love the major changes - the deconstructed cities, the split tech trees, the policy cards.

The movement and combat is feeling a little ungainly at the moment. I'm having a lot of problems just getting around the place. It's a pain in the hole to take two turns to move 2 squares again, probably for the first time since Civ 3.

However, in time I think it might actually add more strategic depth. You have to be far more careful in how you position your units, and you need proper counters to different types of unit, with faster units being impossible to catch unless you have enough speed, range or a flank to get at them. Or they **** up and end their turn next to you.

Lots more still to go. I haven't paid much attention to religion yet, nor any of the victory conditions, but I like what I'm seeing.
    It's running a little slow, but to be fair, I have it going at full blast at 1440p with on AA turned off. Might be worth chucking on the overclock to my CPU again...

I am very confused about something. I want to build a harbour district in my capital, but it says I had to have 7 pop before I can. However, a brand new 1 pop city can build a harbour straight away. Is there a pop limit for total districts or something? I just went through the tutorial because I was thinking there is so much stuff I am not quite getting yet, but all it does is explain the simple stuff I guessed from playing.

Also call me crazy but I much prefer seeing this:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Kl_HWLMzPI4/maxresdefault.jpg
    ...to a tiny 3D little animation of it being built.

Zillah wrote: »
    I am very confused about something. I want to build a harbour district in my capital, but it says I had to have 7 pop before I can. However, a brand new 1 pop city can build a harbour straight away. Is there a pop limit for total districts or something? I just went through the tutorial because I was thinking there is so much stuff I am not quite getting yet, but all it does is explain the simple stuff I guessed from playing.

Also call me crazy but I much prefer seeing this:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Kl_HWLMzPI4/maxresdefault.jpg
    ...to a tiny 3D little animation of it being built.

Yes there is. You need 7 population for 3 districts

One great thing about Civ is how easy it is to tinker with the settings.

Here's how to disable automatic unit cycling (ie, the thing that keeps making you move units to the wrong place).

AbQNPZM.png

Really, this should be in the in-game settings, but it's not difficult to sort out.
    Might be some other handy things you can fix in there.

Not sure will it disable acheivements but they're only user settings and nothing that affects the core gameplay so I doubt they would.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So big improvement over BE?

Another Civ sent a bunch of missionaries to my holy city and every Apostle or Inquisitor I create is in his religion now? If I use an Inquisitor on my own city it completely removes my religion. How do I change this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

anyone know what keys zoom in and out ?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Another Civ sent a bunch of missionaries to my holy city and every Apostle or Inquisitor I create is in his religion now? If I use an Inquisitor on my own city it completely removes my religion. How do I change this?

This happened in Civ 5 as well. When you make religious units they are of whatever religion is dominant in that city. So you can keep an inquisitor of your own religion sitting on emergency standby in case this happens, or you can make religious units from one of your other cities of the right religion to reconvert the lost city.

In 5, at least, the Holy City would always (as far as I saw) revert to its own religion eventually no matter what because the pressure would overwhelm the foreign religion. I have no idea what the mechanics are like in 6 though.

• Advertisement

Played a game yesterday. About 10 hours to a religious victory with Spain on warlord difficulty.

Pretty great tbh! Not overly challenging on that difficulty level, I think we'd just hit Industrial era when I got the victory, but I just wanted to get a feel for things.

The changes work really well I think. Diplomacy is the best it's ever been by a large margin. Districts work well. Barbarian's are more interesting and I actually like having to constantly keep an eye on the fog of war areas, rather than having them pin pointed with a notification. The whole UI and UX feels very well polished. Usually not the case with w new Civ game. And managing city states with delegates is a big improvement.

Didn't encounter any problems really. The "just completed" text after a city builds something seemed to lag at times ("just completed Pickman", when I'd actually just completed something else after that), but didn't really affect much.

Can't really judge the AI having played warlord. I've always been able to breeze warlord, then tend to get my ass kicked on prince most of the time, so looking forward to my next game to see if that holds true.

Thumbs up from me so far!

Advertisement