Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 6

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm on Game 2 with Cleopatra now. Ended up spawning nowhere near a river or desert tiles... so that was some of my perks down the drain (until I got my 2nd city).

Kinda all over the place with my goals, just wanted to see how playing the field would end up towards the finish, not very good. I've been at war practically all game with the Russians. I just defeated them and of course everyone thinks I warmonger when they declared war on me....

So not focusing on a victory goal can seriously slow down the growth of your cities. I never really seen so much of an effect in V but VI is clear to see.

Just got to the 1900's now and
    - I've no religion in my cities, seriously. Not even influence from external civilizations.
    - My tourist level is abysmal
    - Domination is an age away, my focus to all victories has let to shortsightings in my military civics and has me on the backfoot constantly.
    - Science is bad also because I didn't focus a particular tech path
    - I guess I could win under Time victory. Defeating Russia propped me up considerably.

Anyway, will be trying a different method after I'm finished this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gbear wrote: »
    It was a bit of a nonsense anyway.

You had a "Celtic" leader, speaking some sort of Irish, who was actually an Iceni, had Pictish warriors and had her capital based in Edinburgh.

It was maybe the least coherrent of all the civs. A bit like the way they used to have the "Sioux" in earlier games.

I liked it. Just a mix of Irish n Scots. Better be on the DLC with Brian Boru as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

my game keeps crashing on turn 210 :mad:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    my game keeps crashing on turn 210 :mad:

Tried loading back a couple of turns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Tried loading back a couple of turns?

yea tried a few thing's but apparently its a bug doesnt seem to be any working work arounds for it, your game is just fecked >_< So yeahh.. **** that few hours down the drain there.

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea tried a few thing's but apparently its a bug doesnt seem to be any working work arounds for it, your game is just fecked >_< So yeahh.. **** that few hours down the drain there.

That would seriously piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Billy86 wrote: »
    The barbarians are ****ing lunatics! I only did a run through for a few hours on warlord and was more picking up the new dynamics than actively playing if that makes sense? I would definitely recommend have Google at the ready on your first playthrough, as someone else mentioned there isn't a lot of guidance given even if you select this is my first time playing civ vi".

In civ 4 I think there were more then civ v but sometimes there could be a barbarian uprising where all of a sudden a stack of barbarians appear at your borders.
    Have they kept the city strength going, I thought it was a bit silly that a settler could turn into a powerful defensive unit by just forming a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Another couple of things with the UI I noticed after trying this again:
    - Scouts on autoexplore no longer go straight to villages.
    - There is no way (as far as I can tell) to see when a city will expand or into which tile it will expand. That was very useful in the last game if you were considering buying a tile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Billy86 wrote: »
    The barbarians are ****ing lunatics! I only did a run through for a few hours on warlord and was more picking up the new dynamics than actively playing if that makes sense? I would definitely recommend have Google at the ready on your first playthrough, as someone else mentioned there isn't a lot of guidance given even if you select this is my first time playing civ vi".

In civ 4 I think there were more then civ v but sometimes there could be a barbarian uprising where all of a sudden a stack of barbarians appear at your borders.
    Have they kept the city strength going, I thought it was a bit silly that a settler could turn into a powerful defensive unit by just forming a city.
    I did a fresh start after work yesterday with Rome having a little more knowledge and have done much better on this front, you can use barbarians to your advantage economically with how often they spawn by having units prepared to deal with them. Mind you Rome's unique ability includes having every new city having a road lead back to the capital automatically and while they are not as fast moving as in civ v, it definitely has helped me. That and the legion units, which I only needed 3 of to bash the sh*t out of around 8 French warriors and take their two cities not long after they declared war on me.

I would recommend Rome as a civ for one of your earlier games, they are very nicely rounded so you can get a feel of things as you go rather than needing to focus on a particular victory type early on.

As for the cities, they can only bombard/range attack after you have built a defensive building. Without one or units in it, your city takes a bit of beating down to capture but is otherwise a sitting duck, which is part of why I took France so easily - no archers or defensive buildings on their end and by attacking my legions with their warriors, they were just committing suicide. Possibly even 3-4 warriors on their own could take a city without defensive buildings or ranged units fairly easily, though there are civic cards you can use to upgrade your city's defensive strength if you wish.

I went for huge map/marathon pace which I usually my favourite. I have 7 cities and should make a switch in my civic cards tonight to quickly try and double that as there is a good deal of available space to me protected by city states, mountains, and may own cities. The cities I have are all a decent size and I just got all the terrain upgraded too, while China, England and Spain are all just one 2 cities each and fighting amongst themselves nonstop. Besides Russia to the south of me who I seem to have the admiration of there's nobody on my continent able to really pose much of any threat. And I just founded my religion before going to bed last night, so there's a whole other aspect for me to look into tonight.

TLDR - I'm really beginning to get the bug now! :D

The civic cards and government types by the way, are f*cking awesome. Really, really loving that aspect of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

When trading, if you have 1 option that takes 6 turns to make a trade route, and another that takes 18 turns, is there any difference in overall yield? What does the turns it takes to make it to that city and back actually matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BsBox

When trading, if you have 1 option that takes 6 turns to make a trade route, and another that takes 18 turns, is there any difference in overall yield? What does the turns it takes to make it to that city and back actually matter?

I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that's how long it takes until you can set another trade route using that Trader. So if it takes 10 turns, you've to wait that long, even if you want to change routes after the 1st turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

After you complete a trade route, it seems that a trading post is set up on that particular route. So the more times you complete a route, the more advantageous it becomes.

So, it becomes a trade off between steadily improving a handy trade route, or getting the benefit of a longer route that will improve more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

J Mysterio wrote: »
    After you complete a trade route, it seems that a trading post is set up on that particular route. So the more times you complete a route, the more advantageous it becomes.

So, it becomes a trade off between steadily improving a handy trade route, or getting the benefit of a longer route that will improve more slowly.

Not exactly - completing the trade route gives you a trading post in both the source and the destination city, yes; but what trading posts do is extend your trade network. Trade routes can only go 15 tiles on land, 30 by sea - tech doesn't extend this over the course of the game at all. However if the trade route goes via a city with one of your trading posts, the distance is can travel is reset; and the route will gain an extra gold.

Ultimately, some of the best routes will be to some city of the other side of the world as the route will pass through so many cities with one of your trading posts and pick up all the bonus gold on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Ultimately, some of the best routes will be to some city of the other side of the world as the route will pass through so many cities with one of your trading posts and pick up all the bonus gold on the way.

And is there a downside of creating longer trade routes?

Having it last more turns seems like a positive to me, as it's one less thing to manage, and particularly if it's a lucrative route.

I suppose longer routes have greater risk of being pillaged and whatnot.

Earlier in at least or if you're expanding a lot, trade routes to cities with manufactories can be a huge help! Same if you've a coastal city that looks great for everything but production.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Armagh and Giant’s Causeway natural wonder! Ireland in the game finally! both in Vikings DLC.

ss_8f080b203ffb9140863603807fa2280dfde36376.1920x1080.jpg?t=1482280873

New DLC and patch are out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512033/ Poland
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/512032/ Viking scenario

[NEW]

Added Earth map (Standard size)
    Added “Alert” action for units
    Put a unit to sleep until they spot an enemy unit
    Scenario setup menu
    Jump into Scenarios more easily within the Single Player menu. This only shows up when a single player scenario is available and enabled (as can be found in both of the new DLCs!)
    Added new replay option to Wonder completion movies

[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]

Religious units may now Fortify Until Healed
    Coastal Raids can now pillage districts in addition to the buildings within
    Great Admirals are no longer allowed to spawn on wonders in water tiles (ex. Huey, Great Lighthouse) so they cannot become stranded in lakes

[BALANCE CHANGES]

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
    Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums)
    Decreased production costs of Wonders progressively
    From the Industrial era (about -10%) to the Atomic era (about -40%).
    Decreased production costs of all Space Race Projects by 40%.
    Increased research costs of Technologies and Civics progressively
    From the Industrial era (about +5%) to the Information era (about +20%).
    Increased Faith from Mission
    Increased Culture from Chateau
    Lowered the minimum unit upgrade cost
    Improved clarity on Warmongering penalties associated with taking a civ’s final city
    Most Civilization unique districts now require population to construct (like normal districts)
    Spaceport district no longer requires population to construct

[AI TUNING]

Improved AI Deal negotiations and analysis
    Improved AI handling of Promises; including that they are more likely to agree if they like you, and also will consider how trustworthy a civ is by whether they’ve kept previous promises
    Improved tactical handling of Great Admirals and Great Generals
    Improved AI interest in Terracotta Army
    Improved handling of leaf techs
    Improved building of Forts
    Improved resource grabbing in late game
    Improved Last Viking King agenda’s analysis for who is in bottom percentage of navies
    Improved handling of several complaint or kudo messages from AI
    Rebalanced Catherine’s evaluation of the ‘no spying’ Promise
    AI will not try to convert unconvertible cities

[BUG FIXES]

Fixed several unique buildings that weren’t getting their yields increased by various game effects (ex. Policies)
    Fixed an issue that allowed the Goddess of the Harvest pantheon bonus to stack
    Fixed it so loading screens now show the correct text and play matching VO
    Fixed an issue that blocked certain relationship-based diplomatic actions
    Fixed an issue where incomplete Encampment districts were able to attack
    Fixed an issue where you could declare war on friends or allies by moving units
    Fixed an issue where AI could declare war on a civ with whom they were already at war
    Fixed an issue that caused a Multiplayer lobby to require joining players to have Additional Content that wasn’t actually needed
    Fixed a bug that caused Apostles to run out of promotions
    Fixed a bug where gaining policy slots mid-turn could block progression
    Fixed issues caused by trading lots of Great Works at the same time
    Fixed an issue where turn timers weren’t loading correctly from a save
    Fixed an issue where Rome’s roads would connect to too many adjacent roads
    Fixed issue where civs could get another civ’s exclusive agenda
    Fixed multiple links to the Civilopedia
    Fixed issue that could cause menu music to play twice and overlap itself
    Fixed an issue that could cause private MP games to become public
    Fixed multiple text & grammatical issues
    Fixed multiple crashes

[VISUALS]

Added new art for National Parks
    Updated Mines for several eras
    Updated Swordsman
    Improved city fading during combat

[MULTIPLAYER]

Hallowed Ground scenario is no playable on huge maps
    VO now plays correctly when loading a save

[UI]

Resource Report now correctly shows resources from several sources:
    Great People abilities
    Diplomatic Deals
    Checkboxes for toggle yields and grid now stay in sync with hotkeys
    Improved differentiation in Government Lens hex colors
    Added Defeat icon to the End Game Results screen

[AUDIO]

Added sound effect for Quick Save hotkey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's the extent of the Digital Deluxe edition then.

Not great really.

You'd think there would've been some benefit to it but it costs the same as it would have to just have bought the game and the dlc.

That's the extent of the Digital Deluxe edition then.

Not great really.

You'd think there would've been some benefit to it but it costs the same as it would have to just have bought the game and the dlc.

I only bought the standard one so I could be wrong, but I had assumed the DLC in the deluxe edition is set to include all their DLC? Most importantly when they make bigger releases like Gods & Kings, and Brave New World on Civ V - which didn't come until 1.5 years and 2.5 years after release (checked it the other day).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Deluxe includes first 4 DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

ShaneU wrote: »
    Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
    Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums)

I don't know if anyone has played a game to the mid-to-late game in the new patch yet; but these changes are going to absolutely kill the balance of production in the late-game. It's hard enough to build new districts, military units or space projects as it is without killing about 20-30 production from every city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has played a game to the mid-to-late game in the new patch yet; but these changes are going to absolutely kill the balance of production in the late-game. It's hard enough to build new districts, military units or space projects as it is without killing about 20-30 production from every city.
    Kind of makes it pointless to build districts of the same type for nearby cities doesn't it. Seems like entertainment complex in one and industrial in the other is the way to go. They have reduced the production costs of space race projects by 40% though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ah, so the 4 DLC will be little scenario packs like this. More fool me but I thought it would include the actual, inevitable, God's and Kings style expansions. A thank you for pre-purchasing at extra cost.

This stuff sounds fun but I'd have expected to see it just turn up in a free patch release.

Hopefully for those that did buy the deluxe version, they get at least one of the 'big' type expansions in the 4 DLC, one wouldn't be too bad at all but none would generally be pretty poor form to be honest.

New update is live.

There's a new DLC available - Australia!

Wild stuff. Interesting choice.

Also, huge news - the Steam Workshop is live. Looking forward to my Huge Earth Map.

Full list of updates here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5vuhrz/civilization_vi_australian_summer_2017_update_now/

Bug fixes, AI tweaks to make them a bit less thick, balance changes (including a fairly **** one to Harbours IMO), improvements to naval gameplay... lots of stuff.

Haven't played in a while now but might give it another crack soon.
    Especially if we start to see some mods launched on Workshop.

New update is live.

There's a new DLC available - Australia!

Wild stuff. Interesting choice.

Also, huge news - the Steam Workshop is live. Looking forward to my Huge Earth Map.

Full list of updates here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5vuhrz/civilization_vi_australian_summer_2017_update_now/

Bug fixes, AI tweaks to make them a bit less thick, balance changes (including a fairly **** one to Harbours IMO), improvements to naval gameplay... lots of stuff.

Haven't played in a while now but might give it another crack soon.
    Especially if we start to see some mods launched on Workshop.

Does Australia come with poisonous spiders, man eating crocodiles and swimming knives?

First expansion is out Feb 8th, 2018 - I've enjoyed the base game let's hope it gives as much extra depth as Gods and Kings did for Civ V!

More info and some extra features in the link - great to see peaceful city flipping and 'ages' back, in my opinion.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/in-civilization-vis-new-expansion-a-golden-age-is-nigh-or-maybe-a-dark-age/
    A new expansion for Civilization VI, called Civilization VI: Rise and Fall, was announced today. The expansion looks to majorly shake up the flow of the game with era-long modifiers that will force you to shift your strategy for fear of losing your cities, or out of ambition to seize others'. Its centerpiece feature is the addition of "Golden Ages," "Dark Ages," and "Heroic Ages"—macro events that apply each civilization's ever-shifting fortunes, achievements, and momentum to a struggle for territory and cultural influence.

The expansion will also add governors, a greatly expanded alliances system, cities that peacefully flip between civilizations, and an "Historic Moments" system that gives players special milestones that impact outcomes. Players can respond to "emergency situations," which allow the civilizations at the bottom to pool their resources in order to gain benefits that help elevate them all closer to the top players. And, of course, expect new civilizations and leaders.

The Historic Moments, city flipping, and ages all play into one another. You might remember Golden Ages from past Civilization titles; typically, they were short-term boosts to your civilization's happiness or output that lasted for a few turns. This time, they last for an entire era (Ancient, Medieval, and so on), and they affect a resource called loyalty. With loyalty, you can flip other civilizations' cities without firing a shot—just like culture-flipping in, say, Civilization IV—or have yours flipped away from you.

In Golden Ages, your loyalty is increased and your cultural influence on other civs is powerful. In Dark Ages, it's decreased, and you're vulnerable. But even in a Dark Age, there's hope; you can use special Dark Age policies to ultimately find your way to a Heroic Age, which is even better than a Golden Age.

Historic Moments are already in the game, in a way—they include events like circumnavigating the globe. But now there are more of them, and they're not just fun milestones. As you accumulate Historic Moments, you gain progress toward a future Golden Age. They're also added to your Timeline, a new view that lets you see your progress up to the current day. Video game company Firaxis says this Timeline view is, among other things, intended to help you find your bearings when you're returning to a game you had left behind for a while.

I can't believe this has been out for over a year now.
    It feels like I've barely played it.

After being initially interested in the changes I've eventually been persuaded that the game just isn't very good.

I put an awful lot of effort into trying to like it but I haven't finished a game since about a month after launch.
    I think it still has potential but there's so much tedious guff that has to be pared away to get to the game before I'll be much in the way of interested.

Tweaking the diplomacy isn't going to cut it when I'm finding the whole system of city mangement to be an absolute chore.

As it turned out the digital deluxe included all the bonus Civs so that was nice.

I like it personally, but am not as eager to dive into 'yet another game' as I was with 5, though the city management isn't a big issue for me (beyond not being able to create queues, which is very irritating when you go wide). I only got Civ V after both expansions were out as I didn't have a computer good enough to run it prior, but off the reaction to VI it does seem a lot of people absolutely detested V before G&K and BNW.

But this is one of the only title I'd definitely classify myself as a 'fanboy' of since I've been playing it since I was about six years old (the auld lad got the first one when it came out) and pronounced the maybe most important tech in the first game to get 'phisopholy' (no joke!), so I'm going to be biased and overly optimistic by default I guess. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's telling that some of the bigger Civ streamers/YouTubers are still playing Civ V because the interface for Civ VI is so awful. CQUI was off to a promising start and then stalled after the last patch (cause it seems they made a load of decisions that fupped over the modders and they were unhappy). So there's a community branch of CQUI which seems to be helping, but it is frustrating to be waiting for modders to make a game workable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Massive Civ fan also. Just did not dig at all for some reason. I'll get this for sure though, sounds promising. Diplomacy is something that always annoyed me about Civ, so i'm excited to learn they're putting some effort into improving it.

Advertisement