Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

mfceiling wrote: »
    249...pm me

The lad that you put me in touch with was one I was very impressed with. I had emailed him last December at the very outset and he was very helpful and generous with his time and advice etc.

Sadly he's one of those who's too busy to take it on now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kuang1 wrote: »
    It's a minimalist/builder's finish I'm asking for. Was told €235/240 could do it. Quote was 272K + VAT @13.5%.

Have rang the builder and now he suspects his QS may have fcuked up things a little and sent me the wrong price and will get back to me later.

Great start.

thats mental for what im assuming is a pretty standard 2100 sq ft?

unfortunately we're in a situation where tradesmen are incredibly busy and rare...... they can charge what they like really.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

270,000 for a 2100 square foot house.

I am depressed. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »

I know. Expensive, isn't it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

That's builders finish, so there'd be a lot more to be done after that I'm assuming. Flooring, tiling, fixtures and fittings. Plus there's the land to pay for.

But yeah, I hear ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I bought a site and built a 1200 sq ft house for £56,000 (€71,680) in 1999. It is absolutely insane how much the cost of housing has increased in the last 19 years.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure my house, that the builders told me would be ready in December / January, is still just an untouched pile of soil.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That's builders finish, so there'd be a lot more to be done after that I'm assuming. Flooring, tiling, fixtures and fittings. Plus there's the land to pay for.

But yeah, I hear ya!

Yeah spot on. Site (fully serviced) cost €135,000 + 6%stamp duty (€8,100...€5,400 of that will be refunded to me on completion of the build)

Site is 0.11 of an acre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    I bought a site and built a 1200 sq ft house for £56,000 (€71,680) in 1999. It is absolutely insane how much the cost of housing has increased in the last 19 years.

My parents bought their house in 1994 for £60,000. Houses similar now selling for €470,000 in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

My dad bought the family house for £6k. It has slightly appreciated in value since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My parents bought a 4 bed house in 1988 for 65k they can sell for 1m now. But it was in a recently converted from farmland estate in the middle of nowhere a twenty five minute walk from the nearest pub. It was on the outskirts of a city with no jobs, crap education etc. Now it's got a QBC, the m50, a twenty minute walk to the luas. But Dublin has changed.

I pay more than a third of my income in rent. It ****ing sucks. But I know we live in a sifnicantly better place than our parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What is a QBC?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My parents bought their house in 1994 for £60,000. Houses similar now selling for €470,000 in the estate.

Anyone else feel old? My folks paid 5K for their house in 1972. Still living in it , prob worth 400k now. In fairness, they had to cope with 25% interest rates at one stage.

What is a QBC?

Quality Bus Corridor. The 145. Reduced journey to town by twenty mins and increased frequency by about 400%

Ah OK, because I looked it up and saw this http://qbcbearings.com/

And was wondering if your parents were just really into ball bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wow. How is it sustainable having an average wage of 45k, with a 40% tax on anything over that (isn't there also a 50% band?), and the average house price nearing 400k? Ireland is a stressful place to grow up :(

If the government genuinely wanted to fix this, they first need to incentivise people away from bloody investment properties, i.e., bring in alternative mechanisms to save or invest in the stock market, such as the ISA in the UK, or roth IRAs in the U.S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would argue properly taxing BTLs would be a better idea - like totally out the wazoo. There doesn't seem to me to be any real benefit to society having people owning an interest-only mortgage on a property in order to make 4-5% return.

We had ISAs for a brief period many moons ago did we not? I remember it when I was a kid.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would argue properly taxing BTLs would be a better idea - like totally out the wazoo. There doesn't seem to me to be any real benefit to society having people owning an interest-only mortgage on a property in order to make 4-5% return.

We had ISAs for a brief period many moons ago did we not? I remember it when I was a kid.

I may not be old enough to remember. What were the terms? The rule in the UK now is - you can now put £20k per year into either cash savings or securities, and all profits are tax free. Way more flexible, and a lot less hassle than owning a property, and comparable returns if you stick to something fairly robust like an index tracking ETF. Give people that option and you'll see interest in BTLs plummet.

I think McCreevy brought in ISAs.

Which is a coincidence because his tax reforms also helped to bring in Isa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I may not be old enough to remember. What were the terms? The rule in the UK now is - you can now put £20k per year into either cash savings or securities, and all profits are tax free. Way more flexible, and a lot less hassle than owning a property, and comparable returns if you stick to something fairly robust like an index tracking ETF. Give people that option and you'll see interest in BTLs plummet.

I don't think I'm older than you :(

They were brought in as a once off around 2000 or so I think. I recall as you had to be at least 16 to open one and my sister could avail but I could not. You got 25% return tax free after 5 years or something like that.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'm older than you :(

They were brought in as a once off around 2000 or so I think. I recall as you had to be at least 16 to open one and my sister could avail but I could not. You got 25% return tax free after 5 years or something like that.

Ahhh, you're talking about the SSIA - yeah it was a govt bonus 25% return if you committed a monthly saving for five years.

And we lapped it up like parched wildebeest.

There's an appetite to invest in Ireland, we just get no incentive for anything other than property.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

Buy to let is getting a mortgage becuase you can, not paying it off, only paying the interest, while renting out the property for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who would be in for an NFL fantasy football league?

So I have:

Buer
    Podge_irl
    Scrubsfanchris

We need a few more! Any takers? Drop me a PM.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Buy to let is getting a mortgage becuase you can, not paying it off, only paying the interest, while renting out the property for profit.

Dear Bank manager,

Please give me a loan to invest in the S&P index, which tracks a broad category of businesses in the strongest economies on the planet, and which in my lifetime has provided average annual growth of 8%, up to nearly 10% if you reinvest dividends. Maintenance fees are less than half of 1%, it's flexible to adapt to shifts in industry, hedges risk globally, and I can quickly and easily sell my holding if my financial circumstances change.

Response: Laughed out of the building.

Dear Bank manager,

Please give me a loan to invest in a house, in one specific location in an economy largely built on building and selling houses. Tenants should be easy enough to find as long as people continue to build and sell houses. Rental income will cover mortgage repayments as long as interest rates don't change - even slightly. Maintenance fees will cost me 10% of annual revenue, if I'm lucky (but it's grand, I haven't factored that in yet!). I stack all my risk in this one region remaining economically prosperous, and if my financial situation changes, I face a lengthy, costly process of selling the holding, almost certainly jeapordising my ability to repay other debt I have outstanding to your institution.

Response: Approved! Come back once you get a tenant for 6 months and we'll give you 10 more.

It's a minimalist/builder's finish I'm asking for. Was told €235/240 could do it. Quote was 272K + VAT @13.5%.

Have rang the builder and now he suspects his QS may have fcuked up things a little and sent me the wrong price and will get back to me later.

Great start.

Builder got back to me to say that quote was €4,000 out.

So quote for a builders finish to a 2100 sq ft house: €304,000.

I have to hope that Buer is right and he's overpricing the job because of how busy he is.
    Otherwise this house just cannot be built. Simple as that.

Builder got back to me to say that quote was €4,000 out.

So quote for a builders finish to a 2100 sq ft house: €304,000.

I have to hope that Buer is right and he's overpricing the job because of how busy he is.
    Otherwise this house just cannot be built. Simple as that.

I would have been hoping for less but I wouldn't have expected a dramatic amount less even allowing for a rural location at this stage. We had quotes of over €200k for a full renovation of our house (and small extension) and that was 2-3 years ago.

If the cost is prohibitive, are there any cutbacks you can make? The one that jumps out immediately is the size of the house. 2,100 sq. ft. That's a good sized house, I know when you originally started discussing this item you were talking about 1,100 sq. ft. Is that negotiable? It would massively drop your costs by even reducing down to 1,500 sq. ft.

Buer are you available for life-coaching appointments?

• Advertisement

Buer are you available for life-coaching appointments?

I sure am.

Learn to drive.

That'll be €150.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement