Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So up until now why haven't you and your wife not just bought less alcohol and kept the money for yourselves?

Do you and the missus need governmental help to regulate your spending or something?

Pricing changes prompt changes in behaviour.

Happens in every sphere of life.

It's hardly that difficult to comprehend now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

They certainly do :cool: :p

RgOFzXc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Does this mean that the price of a bottle of say Gin in the supermarket that sells for around E12.50 will jump to E28 but wont effect the high end gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Gin is 37.5% so your €12.50 bottle will now be €20.71 at a minimum

700ml*0.375*.789*0.10

If the price of so called cheap gin is going up you may be sure the high end gin will just increase the price by the same amount

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RgOFzXc.jpg

Have the same container need to get it cleaned up and ready to go, gonna buy a kit this week and will have 25 bottles in about 2 weeks ready to drink, cost per bottle 50-60 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can you make homemade whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Gin is 37.5% so your €12.50 bottle will now be €20.71 at a minimum

700ml*0.375*.789*0.10

If the price of so called cheap gin is going up you may be sure the high end gin will just increase the price by the same amount
    Thanks for that ,wont stop me buying it because I can afford it but its a big jump ,Sinn Fein will feel my wrath at every election because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If alcohol is as harmful as those in support of this bill want us to believe, we need to move away from the importance of pubs as a social outlet. I don't see how you can see nothing wrong with supporting pubs while being in favour of plans to reduce alcohol consumption.

I can support restaurants but still approve of initiatives to tackle obesity especially among children.
    Responsible drinking whether at home or in a pub are not the same as problem drinking

RgOFzXc.jpg

Where do you get your home brew stuff off?

joe40 wrote: »
    I can support restaurants but still approve of initiatives to tackle obesity especially among children.
    Responsible drinking whether at home or in a pub are not the same as problem drinking

Yet prices have gone up equally for both responsible and problem drinkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Home Brew stuff will probably go up in price as well.

However, home brew takes some work, planning, patience and space. It is not ideal for everyone. It takes up front costs. So if you are a higher than moderate drinker it probably makes sense, but if you only drink a few cans every few weeks, maybe watching the footy etc, it seems to much effort than simply letting the offy do the work. Certainly that would be the case for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

VinLieger wrote: »
    Have the same container need to get it cleaned up and ready to go, gonna buy a kit this week and will have 25 bottles in about 2 weeks ready to drink, cost per bottle 50-60 cents

Try three weeks fermenting and another three in the bottle, makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ipso wrote: »
    Try three weeks fermenting and another three in the bottle, makes a big difference.

Ohh I know it depends on the kit really, ill leave it in the bottles for a few weeks once ready for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    it's everymans rite to get blathered if he wants, and to bate his missus if she hasnt his supper ready after an nite in the pub, or if she refuses him his conjugal entitlements, and generally be the master in his own gaff.

and no man will stop me!!!!

this Govt is nuthin short of a disgrace. we'ld be better off in communist Russia, where a man is a man and womin respect us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Macker wrote: »
    Does this mean that the price of a bottle of say Gin in the supermarket that sells for around E12.50 will jump to E28 but wont effect the high end gin?

€12.50 for a bottle of Gin! I presume you go blind after a few shots.

Jesus - it's no wonder this minimum pricing legislation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Macker wrote: »
    Thanks for that ,wont stop me buying it because I can afford it but its a big jump ,Sinn Fein will feel my wrath at every election because of this

You will have a hard time finding a politician to vote for who has not supported MUP.

The only one I heard putting an argument against MUP was Senator Sean Barrett and he represents TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Somebody else was on radio stating that it will reduce public order offences and other anti social behaviour.

Can that be true? The majority of drunken public disorder offences occur outside pubs over the weekend.

If people are at home drinking their off licence alcohol then surely they're less likely to be out on the town/city streets brawling at 2am.

The way they go on you'd think that 'pub alcohol' doesn't have the same impact on users as store bought drink.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Christopher Cross

This discussion seems to have been going for years and years, I can't think of anything else that has made me hate our Government so much. I would put the % of the general public who want this Bill to pass at 20% maximum. This would be overwhelmingly voted down if the public had the choice. Why is this being passed? The people don't want it, yet they think they can nanny us this way. It's infuriating.
    What do they think will happen? We'll suddenly all stop dying? We won't get cancer any more? Even if we eradicated everything unhealthy or carcinogenic what would happen then? Too many elderly to look after, hospitals clogged up with old people, etc. etc.
    It's an absolute farce. We are being blatantly ignored.
    What can we do to resist this or at least let our disgust be known? I already wrote to all my TDs last year which made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Somebody else was on radio stating that it will reduce public order offences and other anti social behaviour.

Can that be true? The majority of drunken public disorder offences occur outside pubs over the weekend.

If people are at home drinking their off licence alcohol then surely they're less likely to be out on the town/city streets brawling at 2am.

The way they go on you'd think that 'pub alcohol' doesn't have the same impact on users as store bought drink.

If the government was serious about reducing public order offences and other anti social behaviour then we could follow Spain/France/Germany with liberal opening hours

as a country we always have had a seriously dysfunctional relationship with alcohol.
    could be genetic, could be cultural, could be the weather, could be our colonial past, could be the catholic church, could be our repressed sexuality?

who knows. but 1 thing is certain is when it comes to "the drink" we are like a bunch of ADHD kids let loose in a sweet shop.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Home Brew stuff will probably go up in price as well.

How do you figure though? It's literally malt extract, sugar and yeast - all of which have a variety of uses unrelated to brewing - baking for starters. They can hardly put up the prices of all of those ingredients just as a way to hit home brewers, there'd be outcry from other sectors using those ingredients, whose costs would go up as a side effect. And as far as equipment goes, I don't see how they can put a minimum price on food-grade plastic buckets just in case someone decides to make beer with them :D:D:D Most I could see them doing is trying to put a price on caps or capping equipment. And guess what - those screw-cap bottles some beers come in can be re-used as long as you unscrew the caps when drinking rather than using a bottle opener. :cool:

Are you suggesting that the industry itself will put its own prices up, or that the government will seek to somehow increase the price of homebrew ingredients and equipment? I'd love to hear any suggestions as to how they could achieve this without upsetting other food producers, both home and commercial, who require the same stuff.
    However, home brew takes some work, planning, patience and space. It is not ideal for everyone. It takes up front costs. So if you are a higher than moderate drinker it probably makes sense, but if you only drink a few cans every few weeks, maybe watching the footy etc, it seems to much effort than simply letting the offy do the work. Certainly that would be the case for me.

That's a fair argument, but I'd counter that at least for me, once I started doing it I quickly realised I'd keep doing it even if this bill was somehow killed in the Dáil. It's fun, relaxing and you get an incredible sense of pride watching your beers mature over the few weeks that it takes. Obviously this wouldn't be true of everyone, but I can totally imagine this exploding among students and young folk - I can see a serious niche market now for home brew suppliers to get involved in Freshers' Weeks with some free, branded equipment to get their name out there and get people coming to them again and again for kit ingredients ;)

Funny aside - I learned a few months ago in a TIL thread on Reddit that during prohibition in the United States, people would sell "grape bricks" with grapes and yeast, with a "warning" attached to the label - "WARNING: Do not mix the contents of this box with 10-15 litres of warm water - and if you do, do not store in a sealed container at warm temperatures for several weeks. An illegal alcoholic beverage could inadvertently be created." :D:D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Christopher Cross

as a country we always have had a seriously dysfunctional relationship with alcohol.
    could be genetic, could be cultural, could be the weather, could be our colonial past, could be the catholic church, could be our repressed sexuality?

who knows. but 1 thing is certain is when it comes to "the drink" we are like a bunch of ADHD kids let loose in a sweet shop.

Speak for yourself. Also, I'm getting on a bit and don't go out as much as I used to, but I am often in my friends flat in Temple Bar at the weekends. When walking to get a bus or taxi home at night I have to say it's nothing like it was when I started going out 20 years ago. I would always see fights and chaos. Just seems a lot better now.
    Anyway this Bill isn't aimed at stopping boozy mayhem in towns and cities, it's aimed at supermarkets.
    Are they really thick enough to think people are suddenly start going to the pub because a can of beer costs 2 euro or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Happens in every sphere of life.

It's hardly that difficult to comprehend now is it.

I find it very difficult to comprehend.

If you think you should drink less, drink less, don't look at the change in your pocket and think "but I still have a few quid left, sure what else could I possibly do with it?"

It takes a peculiar brand of gobshíte to view being forced to pay double the price for something as a bonus.:confused::confused:

€12.50 for a bottle of Gin! I presume you go blind after a few shots.

Jesus - it's no wonder this minimum pricing legislation is required.

The same bottle is 5.49 in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Perhaps. But if you are trying to address that issue, legislating what people do in the comfort of their own homes but not in licensed premises makes no sense. If the bill contained a directive with a warning on pub glasses I could at least appreciate the sincerity of what they were trying to achieve. But it's nothing more than thinly veiled protectionism.

My opinion is that they can add whatever warnings they want - I'm an adult and can make my own informed choices. However the financial element is yet another measure to push people back towards pubs.

Speak for yourself. Also, I'm getting on a bit and don't go out as much as I used to, but I am often in my friends flat in Temple Bar at the weekends. When walking to get a bus or taxi home at night I have to say it's nothing like it was when I started going out 20 years ago. I would always see fights and chaos. Just seems a lot better now.
    Anyway this Bill isn't aimed at stopping boozy mayhem in towns and cities, it's aimed at supermarkets.
    Are they really thick enough to think people are suddenly start going to the pub because a can of beer costs 2 euro or whatever?

i ALWAYS speak for myself. thank you.
    like you i'm not exactly in my teens.
    i never go to the pub. instead i like to enjoy a decent high-end bottle of red and a good movie. there is nothing in any pub to attract me, and the hassle of getting there and getting home is just not worth it.

what the Govt is trying to achieve is anybody's guess. personally i think the answer is education, and the banning of ALL alcohol sponsorship & advertising.

JMNolan wrote: »
    If the government was serious about reducing public order offences and other anti social behaviour then we could follow Spain/France/Germany with liberal opening hours

See what happened over the weekend with that new donut shop in Blanchardstown - Ireland has a serious issue with people desiring urban areas to have some kind of "curfew" on commercial activity. I'd love it if Dublin was like New York or London with 24/7 activity - if you want a quiet life then don't choose to live in the centre of a capital primate city for f*ck's sake. Unfortunately, in that climate I can't see opening hours being extended. It's not about drinking even, it's about this mindset that there's a national "bedtime" which city life itself must adhere to, not just individuals who happen to work regular daytime hours.

Being a shift worker in Dublin would be an absolute nightmare in terms of never being able to get a drink or a decent bite to eat after dark.

I live directly beside a fairly new cafe-bar which is inside to a public park. A few months ago, on a FRIDAY night no less, they had a 60th birthday party booked as a private function. They had the absolute temerity to be playing music (fairly quietly I might add!) which could be heard through the window of the place as one walked past. I was getting a lift home (from Blackrock Wetherspoons, if ye must know ;) ) from a friend, and one of my favourite songs - U2's Beautiful Day - came on just as I hopped out of the car outside the place. Stopped for a few minutes to listen through the railings before heading home.

As I listened, some absolute douchebag from up one of the streets came storming over and started roaring through the railings that there were families with children trying to sleep (again, this was at 11PM on a Friday night in June, it was barely even dark yet) and that he'd be rounding up other "annoyed residents" and marching straight down to the council the next day to demand the revocation of their license and other such bullsh!t.

In perhaps the slickest move of gatecrashing I've ever done, I waited for your man to feck off and popped into the place myself, sought out the manager who'd been on the receiving end of the aforementioned barney, and as he was irritatedly telling the lads to turn the music off, I informed him that I lived directly next door, that the majority of local residents here love the place and regularly drop in for some food or drink, that your man was an unrepresentative dry sh!te and that I knew of at least six neighbours who'd heavily protest at any move to curtail their opening hours or get rid of their bar license.

Manager and the guy who was organising the birthday party was so chuffed that they asked me to stay for a bunch of G&T while they went to turn the music back on :D:D:D

Shameless bragging about being the hero Dublin deserves aside, this is the kind of thing which really pisses me off. If people want to live as if they're in a rural area, then f*cking move to one. If you live in a capital city or a major suburb of a capital city, then you have to accept that such an area does not follow a pre-teen "curfew" schedule, places will open late, people will make some amount of noise going about their business (especially on a Friday night during a heatwave in mid-June) and that if you don't like it, you really shouldn't be living in any sort of built-up area.

Just my two cents anyway. New builds with better soundproofing might go some way towards solving this problem, but personally I find it immensely comforting hearing the sounds of music and people enjoying themselves outside even as I drift off to sleep. It provides a happy atmosphere and makes you feel as if you're living in a "happening" place. My admittedly unsympathetic attitude towards the moaners is similar to my attitude towards the residents of Balybough Road, Sackville Road and Croke Villas when there's a concert or match on - It's a capital city and you live beside its largest sports stadium. Such are the sacrifices of living in the centre of such an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you think you should drink less, drink less, don't look at the change in your pocket and think "but I still have a few quid left, sure what else could I possibly do with it?"

It takes a peculiar brand of gobsh to view being forced to pay double the price for something as a bonus.:confused::confused:

Income is finite.

If something doubles in price then you can only get half for the same portion of your income.

I'm not going to sacrifice more of my income for a luxury item like alcohol.

And since alcohol is in essence an unhealthy luxury item I personally fell it's no bad harm that the price increase is forcing me to reduce my consumption.

I enjoy alcohol, I'd like to have a few drinks every night, but I know that that is not a very healthy approach to life.

It takes a peculiar brand of gobshíte to view being forced to pay double the price for something as a bonus.:confused::confused:

It's very obvious that this mentality isn't regarded for the sake of those posting it - they want to see others forced to change their lifestyles, because those pedalling the "virtues" of coercive measures disapprove of the aforementioned lifestyles. It's essentially a form of social conservatism.

• Advertisement

Income is finite.

If something doubles in price then you can only get half for the same portion of your income.

I'm not going to sacrifice more of my income for a luxury item like alcohol.

And since alcohol is in essence an unhealthy luxury item I personally fell it's no bad harm that the price increase is forcing me to reduce my consumption.

I enjoy alcohol, I'd like to have a few drinks every night, but I know that that is not a very healthy approach to life.

So because you have no self control to do something you want to do, everyone else should be forced to do something they don't necessarily want to do in order to assist you in doing it?

Immature nanny-statism at its finest.

Advertisement