Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I'd hate to live in this country 20/30 years time. Anything nice will either be banned or unaffordable. I'm not an alcoholic but i enjoy a glass of wine. Luckily i'm only an hour from Enniskillen and will get my wine there and fill the boot once fully passed. I won't be giving a cent towards alcohol in this country again.

Does anyone know if it will affect bringing in wine from a France trip, will they target this?

A glass of wine at home in your own house, you will obviously be targeted for re-education :)

The limits for personal use brought from another EU country won't be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    No way will the money raised be pumped back into the health services this is a cash grab, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

listermint wrote: »
    joe40 wrote: »
    Irish (and British) teenagers get drunk more often than their European counterparts.
    We do have a problem with excessive drinking among many of our teenagers. That is a fact
    I can accept that people have different opinions about mup, but to deny that we, as a society, have a problem in this regard is just daft.

Hold on to I have to keep calling out the lies in this thread from you and the usual suspects.

You lot to more for the destruction of healthy attituded to alcohol than all the pubs combined.

Irish teens do not drink more regularly than their counterparts ive spelled this out before

http://www.thejournal.ie/teenage-drinking-ireland-4254933-Sep2018/

Now enough with the lies and start being responsible for what you type.
    Well first of all thanks for that link and I actually read the full report, not just the news article. I wasn't lying I genuinely did not think that was the case.
    Those figures are a really dramatic decrease in a little over 10 years so not so long ago we were among the highest drinkers in Europe.
    Secondly the report did say that problem drinking, although declining, was still a major problem. The WHO were cited as calling for measures such as increased cost, less availability and advertising restrictions to tackle the problem.
    Maybe other European teenagers drink more than us but I collect my kids from teenage discos and witness plenty of youngsters very drunk here.
    So I'm delighted we as a country are taking a lead on this.
    I might go for a drink to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No way will the money raised be pumped back into the health services this is a cash grab, end of.

What money raised? The increase in price goes to the retailer. this is not an increase in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

squawker wrote: »
    say a few of lads got an extension on the house from the vinters lobby this evening

no wonder they are happy

[URL="https://youtu.be/PMHt481HsFU]Let's just say the vintners had some very moving arguments.[/URL]

• Advertisement

While it's frustrating, let's be honest, it's not going to stop any of us from drinking.

And young people are not going to stop just because it's a bit more expensive.

If anything, the pubs will capitalize with drink specials to get people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

joe40 wrote: »
    Maybe other European teenagers drink more than us but I collect my kids from teenage discos and witness plenty of youngsters very drunk here.
    So I'm delighted we as a country are taking a lead on this.
    I might go for a drink to celebrate

If teenagers are drunk it's the parents fault why do legal drinkers need to be punished for that?

Also the reason they want to drink so badly is because people like you keep trying to hide it away from them and tell them how bad it is instead of sitting them down at a reasonable age like in europe and letting them learn how to drink responsibly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

This is just done to protect pubs. Nothing to do with health. If they wanted to do something real ban advertising of alcohol with sporting events etc. But no that would upset to many connected people.

Alcohol consumption is going down in this country. Fine Gael promised to protect pubs and this is being done with this in mind. Shower of priks fine gael are. And i bet alot of tds are getting a few nice brown paper bags for getting this joke legislation in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When will this come into effect?

Could take up to 3 years if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It still has to pass the Seanad as amended and they can delay it for up to two years. After that, assuming there are no court or EU challenges (which I very much expert there to be :cool:) the minister chooses when to commence it - and he has previously pledged not to do so until NI does the same.

Today was a regressive step for personal freedom in Ireland but it's by no means the end of this saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I won't be giving a cent towards alcohol in this country again.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't fret, the EU are pissed off enough with this place and will crush it. I wonder what the procedure is for reporting State Aid?
    I thought the EU competition laws were supposed to prevent this type of thing.

Well scotland have brought something similar in where the min price is 50 cent. Ours starts at 1.59 eur i think.

Love to know what the vinters association gave in back handers to get this through. Say alot of tds got wined and dined and other benefits for this one to pass. This bill is a disgrace.

Love to know what the vinters association gave in back handers to get this through. Say alot of tds got wined and dined and other benefits for this one to pass. This bill is a disgrace.

They should have been more careful what they wished for.
    Long term their business model is goosed.
    Their main USP is peddling a product that is being labelled as a carcinogen.
    That's not going to work out well.

People are becoming more health conscious and the likes of Prof Murray and Senator Black are not going away. They will keep chipping away at every opportunity buoyed up by this "success".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

I thought the EU competition laws were supposed to prevent this type of thing.
    I thought that too..

After the smoking ban came in, more people started smoking as the smoking area became the cool place to be in bars for a lot of people.

Then they got rid of 10 boxes. People just started smoking more.

Then they put the prices up and up and up. People just started vaping and going to the black market.

People always find a way to do the things they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

After the smoking ban came in, more people started smoking as the smoking area became the cool place to be in bars for a lot of people.

Then they put the prices up and up and up. People just started vaping and going to the black market.

Well this is a load of ****e. The levels of smoking have decreased rapidly since the smoking ban came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Are you saying the smoking ban was a bad thing?
    There was plenty of opposition at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

They were probably all drunk when they passed it.

Anyhow why the phuck is there a bar in the dail ....why would they provide a substance that impairs judgement in a place that inacts laws that affect the entire nation for better or worse.

Thats an issue that seriously needs to be looked at.

elperello wrote: »
    A glass of wine at home in your own house, you will obviously be targeted for re-education :)

The limits for personal use brought from another EU country won't be affected.

True, but what happens in the event of a no deal Brexit since most booze would normally come in from NI? If Brexit wasn't an issue one wouldn't worry about this bill coming into effect until similar legislation was brought in up North, since everybody would toddle over the border and buy what they wanted until this happened. There's no sign of a devolved administration appearing again up there for the foreseeable future.

'Brilliant' one could say, but a no deal Brexit renders the lack of a NI legislature to pass a similar law to ours irrelevant since duty free allowances between an EU and non-EU country would come into effect. The personal allowances for the amount of alcohol that can be brought in are ridiculously small (e.g. 1 litre of spirits). Newry will vanish if this scenario comes to pass......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

True, but what happens in the event of a no deal Brexit since most booze would normally come in from NI? If Brexit wasn't an issue one wouldn't worry about this bill coming into effect until similar legislation was brought in up North, since everybody would toddle over the border and buy what they wanted until this happened. There's no sign of a devolved administration appearing again up there for the foreseeable future.

'Brilliant' one could say, but a no deal Brexit renders the lack of a NI legislature to pass a similar law to ours irrelevant since duty free allowances between an EU and non-EU country would come into effect. The personal allowances for the amount of alcohol that can be brought in are ridiculously small (e.g. 1 litre of spirits). Newry will vanish if this scenario comes to pass......

Home brew it is.

Not a penny of mine will be going to the vintners association. The blaggards only prop up diageo anyway. Terrible selection of anything in 90 percent of the pubs anyway. No wonder they're failing. And will continue to do so with this nonsense

Correct, but I was responding to Micky32 who was asking about trips to France.

elperello wrote: »
    Correct, but I was responding to Micky32 who was asking about trips to France.

Vive La France!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

listermint wrote: »
    Home brew it is.

Not a penny of mine will be going to the vintners association. The blaggards only prop up diageo anyway. Terrible selection of anything in 90 percent of the pubs anyway. No wonder they're failing. And will continue to do so with this nonsense

Hope this becomes an established trend! Would be hilarious to see the Offies swapping their budget stuff for home brew kits :cool:

Head over to the Boards Home Brewing section at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1353 to get started! Starter equipment excluding bottles will cost you roughly €90 (€70 starter kit, plus extra bucket for bottling and a proper capper, the one in the starter kit is sh!te) but that €90 cost includes a 40 pint batch of ale :D After that, kits and caps are ridiculously cheap. You can get a kit, carbonating sugar and enough caps to last two and a half brews for €20 altogether, add €5 for delivery and it makes sense to order several kits at once and brew them one after the other ;)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Well scotland have brought something similar in where the min price is 50 cent. Ours starts at 1.59 eur i think.

Yep, legal challenges delayed MUP in Scotland by six years but those legal challenges ultimately failed with the ECJ rulling in favour of the Scottish Government and MUP was finally introduced in Scotland on 1st May this year.

The MUP in Scotland is 50p per 10ml of alcohol. The proposed MUP here is 10c per gram of alcohol. The density of alcohol is .789g/ml so our proposed MUP equates to 78.9c per 10ml.

As an example, a 500ml bottle/can of 5% beer contains 25ml of alcohol so this must cost at least £1.25 in Scotland (about €1.40 at current exchange rates) and will have to cost at least €1.97 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

People need to stop comparing alcohol prices with Europe without comparing other factors like wages etc.

Sure compared with some parts of Europe our drink prices are expensive but in relative terms the heavily discounted prices in big supermarkets and German discounters represent cheap alcohol relative to what you pay in a smaller independent off license or pub.

And that is the area that has seen most growth in sales, even if overall consumption is down.

I myself have switched from the big brand cans of cider in my local petrol station/convenience store to the Aldi brand of cider.

Does me fine too.

Absolute bollocks talk.

I was in Hamburg a month ago, Germany's wealthiest city.

A 20 x 500ml bottle case of Warsteiner was going for €9.60 in Kaufland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Freedoms ?

Seriously

You think the ability to buy discounted alcohol in a supermarket is a freedom ?

Get a life

Do you know what discounted means??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Freedoms ?

Seriously

You think the ability to buy discounted alcohol in a supermarket is a freedom ?

Get a life

Do you know what discounted means??

Advertisement