Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green card for driving in NI and UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

josip wrote: »
    Here's what they look like.
    https://ua.all.biz/en/green-card-for-departure-on-a-car-to-the-cis-and-s591303

We get one every year, I think it's €12 or €20 123.ie charge us for it.
    We email 123.ie the countries we want it for, they cross them on the form, form is checked dilligently at relevant borders.
    Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

prima_kaarten.png

Don't understand why they cannot do a plastic card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So have we always needed one of these then? I'd never heard about them until lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So have we always needed one of these then? I'd never heard about them until lately.

They were always needed as proof of insurance when driving abroad, but didn't apply to EU countries, due to separate EU regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

CiniO wrote: »
    They were always needed as proof of insurance when driving abroad, but didn't apply to EU countries, due to separate EU regulations.

That looks like a Dutch one in the example above though, which is in the EU, and it has EU countries listed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, they list (nearly) all European countries on it and then X the ones that you advise them you're traveling to.
    I don't know why it's like that since they don't charge per X.

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    Kennco giving similar responses as AIG as Tabnabs above. After 20 mins of telling them Im crossing the border several times a week for work they said that it would cost me €30 to issue the card and I would be put on a waiting list. Going to be some unhappy policy holders if this is required in a few weeks.

Hope you didn't do it, they emailed me a copy on Monday for me to print myself. Makes sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I go up north regularly. I intend to wait until the insurance company write to me when they know what's happening, probably including a green card automatically. If they don't send me a green card, I'll probably drive up north anyway because I'm pretty sure I'll be covered unless my insurance company tell me otherwise.
    Some people are such drama queens. I'm fed up hearing about brexit.

That looks like a Dutch one in the example above though, which is in the EU, and it has EU countries listed on it.

True.
    They list EU countries, but when travelling within EU with EU registered vehicle you don't need to have this green card.
    It's only really needed when travelling to countries which are in Europe but no in EU or EEC or Switzerland (afair).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I received mine from Aviva on Monday. It's dated for a week !!. Handwritten be a senior infant. Received Mrs O's from an post yesterday. Dated until the end of the policy and professionally typed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

With axa and policy expires in may. Wonder would they even bother with me but then again it's rare I bring the car to the North.

However , the company vehicles I drive many times to North , Intercity coaches, which are self indemnified for insurance... How would that work ?

• Advertisement

With axa and policy expires in may. Wonder would they even bother with me but then again it's rare I bring the car to the North.

However , the company vehicles I drive many times to North , Intercity coaches, which are self indemnified for insurance... How would that work ?

Self indemnified means that they don't have a policy and the owner guaranteed to pay for any third party loss from their own pocket? Is that good understanding?

If so, that's actually very interesting question - do they allow to do the same in UK? Will they still allow to do it after brexit?

From my experience, when driving to a country (non-EU) if your insurer did not issue green card for that country, then there was always obligation to purchase border insurance. It's a type of short term policy (usually up to 30 days) purchased by foreign visitor driving foreign registered car.

I remember before 2004, before eastern European countries joined EU, and I used to drive Polish registered car to Slovakia, they used to check green card at the border, and if you didn't have it, they were asking you to purchase border insurance for period of your stay. I remember it wasn't expensive, but most insurers were issuing green cards for free, so there was no point not getting it, as free is always better than cheap.

Got ours today unprompted from Liberty, hadn't even given it any thought as we don't drive in the north really. It was very similar to the one pictured above with boxes crossed out for some (alot) countries .

Gas you can't actually make out the country code abbreviations for some of them because of the X through them, and have to work it out based on the list on the back and the ones you can see clearly on the front that you can drive in. :rolleyes:

Got ours today unprompted from Liberty, hadn't even given it any thought as we don't drive in the north really. It was very similar to the one pictured above with boxes crossed out for some (alot) countries .

Gas you can't actually make out the country code abbreviations for some of them because of the X through them, and have to work it out based on the list on the back and the ones you can see clearly on the front that you can drive in. :rolleyes:

Isn't it that those crossed are the ones you're not covered to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

antix80 wrote: »
    I go up north regularly. I intend to wait until the insurance company write to me when they know what's happening, probably including a green card automatically.

Lo and behold, I received it from Liberty.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got an email today saying if I want one, I have to pay c.€20 for it, and it only covers specific registration, driver and dates. As I currently have multiple cars insured with them, with more than 1 driver, I will need multiple green cards for different journeys. Ive been with them for 10 years, will not be renewing this year!

antodeco wrote: »
    Got an email today saying if I want one, I have to pay c.€20 for it, and it only covers specific registration, driver and dates. As I currently have multiple cars insured with them, with more than 1 driver, I will need multiple green cards for different journeys. Ive been with them for 10 years, will not be renewing this year!

That's price gouging of the highest order. I'll bet the bastards even have an office in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

What insurance company was this? Exorbitant!

Allianz are sending me mine free of charge - there's a copy in my online documents too. It's not looking good for an 'orderly Brexit', so I'm pleased to have this to hand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭clones1980

Got the following email today

Dear Client,

We are emailing to advise you of potential changes in the event of a no-deal Brexit that may impact you and/or any named drivers noted on your motor policy.

Green Cards

If you plan to use your Irish registered vehicle in Northern Ireland or elsewhere in the UK after the 28th of March 2019, in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit you will require a Green card.

If you require a green card we will require a few details and an administration fee of €20.85. You can submit your request by clicking on the following link www.firstireland.ie/payments/index.php and selecting ‘Green Card’ from the drop-down options there.

This link will allow you to enter your necessary details and make payment by card. We will do our best to process your request as quickly as possible but due to potential high volumes of such requests, it may take up to 14 days to process and issue by post.

UK Licences

If you or any of your named drivers are a UK licence holder, We want to make you aware of recently published advice from the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) regarding UK driving licence holders who reside in the Republic of Ireland. We are drawing your attention to this as it contains important information regarding what will happen with UK driving licence holders residing in Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

In summary the NDLS have advised that, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the driving licence of a UK licence holder living here in Ireland will no longer be recognised and the driver will not be able to continue to drive in Ireland on that licence.

The advice from the NDLS is that anyone holding a Full UK driving licence who resides in Ireland should exchange their licence for a Full Irish driving licence before the 29 March 2019, which is set as the withdrawal date of the UK from the EU. Under current arrangements a UK licence holder resident in the Republic of Ireland has an entitlement to make such an exchange, without issue. In this scenario, the driver will have all valid licence categories on their driver licence included on the Irish licence. There are some limited exceptions which can be obtained by contacting the NDLS.

To receive more information on the process of exchanging a UK licence, please visit, https://www.ndls.ie/news/149-brexit-update.html.

We would like to also take this opportunity to thank you for your custom as a valued Client of First Ireland.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

^^^ That's what I got!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Well, that's First Ireland off my list for next Insurance renewal time anyway. Disgraceful charge for a simple document! Capitalising on Brexit already at our expense. Very bad move on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I got one from RSA (via my insurance broker) recently. I requested it because I am flying to Edinburgh from Belfast at the end of the month. Mine is only valid until the middle of April. I can't understand why it can't just be valid until the end of my policy, I'll definitely be heading up North again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I got one from RSA (via my insurance broker) recently. I requested it because I am flying to Edinburgh from Belfast at the end of the month. Mine is only valid until the middle of April. I can't understand why it can't just be valid until the end of my policy, I'll definitely be heading up North again this year.

Were you charged for the card?

I'm heading up North in April, I've no intention of getting a green card, I'm sure the copy of my insurance cert, worded in the Queen's English will be proof enough of my insurance.

For all the hundreds of miles I've clocked up driving around the north, I've yet to ever be stopped once by the psni.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

This is the bit from my policy about being insured in the UK:

475949.png

If the green card is required then they must provide it for free since my premium does include driving within UK. And I would expect, or even demand it, to be free for the duration of the policy. Some companies need to have their heads examined because they have no clue what they signed when they took the payment.

And you should tell them what you want as since they offer unlimited cover in the UK you are not going to beg for it after you paid for it for the whole year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭clones1980

I drive in and out of the north numerous times just to go to work so I definitely need one. But jeez the brass neck in them charging for the privilege.

Sorry lads I don't get the, "we should be entitled to it for free angle" on this.
    It's an additional form not normally provided as part of the quote and there are additional costs associated with issuing it.
    I doubt if the insurance companies are losing any money on it at €20 a pop, but nor have they increased their prices over what they normally charge.
    We pay €20 every year for ours.

Sorry lads I don't get the, "we should be entitled to it for free angle" on this.
    It's an additional form not normally provided as part of the quote and there are additional costs associated with issuing it.
    I doubt if the insurance companies are losing any money on it at €20 a pop, but nor have they increased their prices over what they normally charge.

Fair play if you drive to Russia or somewhere. But if they clearly state to provide cover in the UK then let them foot the bill. And to be honest that piece of paper doesn't really cost much.

Let them email it,we'll print it ourselves.

wonski wrote: »
    Fair play if you drive to Russia or somewhere. But if they clearly state to provide cover in the UK then let them foot the bill. And to be honest that piece of paper doesn't really cost much.

But the paper won't magic its way out to everyone who needs it.

There is a labour cost involved in providing this niche service.

We would have had to send a mail, follow up with a phone call outlining dates, provide payment details over the phone and then someone on the other end had to X off the countries we didn't want and post out the form.
    You can't ignore that and say, "but the piece of paper only costs..."

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »

But the paper won't magic its way out to everyone who needs it.
    There is a labour cost involved in providing this niche service.
    We would have had to send a mail, follow up with a phone call outlining dates, provide payment details over the phone and then someone on the other end had to X off the countries we didn't want and post out the form.
    You can't ignore that and say, "but the piece of paper only costs..."

Advertisement