Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Green card for driving in NI and UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has anyone received one of these green cards, is it even green, what does it look like? I'm applying for one tomorrow, purely for the craic, might become a collectors item should they UK stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I actually wonder if those greencards issued nowadays, cover only UK (is it indicated on the green card UK only) or do they cover all green card system countries which include pretty much all Continent of Europe and Asian part of Russia and probably few more countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,082 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I cross the border daily, I haven't called my insurer yet.

Nor have they contacted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CarAudio

International insurance certificates should be issued at insurance renewals. Regardless of Brexit happening or not, you should have one already, if not, ask for one. If they refuse tell them you need to drive to France or whatever next month.
    It should be free.
    If you are refused one, just keep your full policy document with you in the glovebox, where it states you are allowed to drive anywhere in Europe for X number of days. Better than your insurance disk alone on the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You don't need it to drive in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It’s a rather large bucket of cow poo... almost all insurers operating here are also in the UK so there should be no reason why they can’t sort this quickly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For anyone with an AIG policy, I asked and was told:
    Thank you, I have noted that you require one however, I can confirm that we are not issuing Insurance Green Cards at this time and cannot confirm if we will be issuing such documents however, if the cards are required on or after 29 March 2019 we will process accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i emailed allianz just asked if i need one yet , they asked me for my reg no. so assume its going to be sent to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭wassie

Kennco giving similar responses as AIG as Tabnabs above. After 20 mins of telling them Im crossing the border several times a week for work they said that it would cost me €30 to issue the card and I would be put on a waiting list. Going to be some unhappy policy holders if this is required in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

i emailed allianz just asked if i need one yet , they asked me for my reg no. so assume its going to be sent to me

I contacted Allianz via Facebook too and was told I had to ring to request one! No other way, online or anywhere else. It really should be automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Update on aviva website.
    They will issue a green card but want 10 days notice, it's valid then until end of policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

bodonnell wrote: »
    Update on aviva website.
    They will issue a green card but want 10 days notice, it's valid then until end of policy.

Maybe my rant on the phone yesterday worked ;)

Green card is not a proof of insurance. Nobody gonna take your car away after Brexit if you dont have one. But you must have a proof of insurance, so keep your full policy in your wallet or glovebox. Green card only makes things easier to police forces to quickly check the conditions of your insurance policy (Are you insured to drive in this country for example).

When I had one years ago it was clearly stating I was not covered to drive in Northern Ireland, Montenegro and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

CarAudio wrote: »
    Green card is not a proof of insurance.
    It is a proof that your insurer is providing third party cover in a country which is part of green card system.
    Without it, you will only be covered in countries which are part of EU or signed a deal with EU about recognising insurance.
    Nobody gonna take your car away after Brexit if you dont have one.
    Without green card, you won't be insured in UK, so they can take your car away.
    But you must have a proof of insurance, so keep your full policy in your wallet or glovebox.
    You Irish policy will be useless in post-nodeal-brexit in UK, as it won't provide cover there.
    Green card only makes things easier to police forces to quickly check the conditions of your insurance policy (Are you insured to drive in this country for example).
    Nothing like that.
    Green card is a document that shows that you are covered to drive in countries which are part of green card system.
    Without it, you are only covered in EU countries, and those which signed a deal with EU about recognising third party insurance.
    When I had one years ago it was clearly stating I was not covered to drive in Northern Ireland, Montenegro and so on.

Green card can exclude some countries, as your insurer might wish.
    There are no laws forcing insurers to issue them afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Here's what they look like.
    https://ua.all.biz/en/green-card-for-departure-on-a-car-to-the-cis-and-s591303

We get one every year, I think it's €12 or €20 123.ie charge us for it.
    We email 123.ie the countries we want it for, they cross them on the form, form is checked dilligently at relevant borders.
    Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

josip wrote: »
    Here's what they look like.
    https://ua.all.biz/en/green-card-for-departure-on-a-car-to-the-cis-and-s591303

We get one every year, I think it's €12 or €20 123.ie charge us for it.
    We email 123.ie the countries we want it for, they cross them on the form, form is checked dilligently at relevant borders.
    Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Axa are sending them out automatically and presumably free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Isambard wrote: »

We haven't gotten it for this year yet, so don't know if they'll still be charging.
    They might do since we need it for more than the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm insured with Allianz through the AA, and the AA are automatically sending one as I live in a border county. Just as well as when I rang Allianz last month they didn't know - I work in the north

josip wrote: »
    We haven't gotten it for this year yet, so don't know if they'll still be charging.
    They might do since we need it for more than the UK

free of charge per the Independant

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/thousands-seek-green-cards-to-drive-in-uk-as-insurers-waive-fees-37825467.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

@Cinio: My policy says I can drive insured in the UK.

The green card does not validate or invalidate your insurance. It just means that they can impound your car in the UK if you are stopped and don't have one.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    @Cinio: My policy says I can drive insured in the UK.

The green card does not validate or invalidate your insurance. It just means that they can impound your car in the UK if you are stopped and don't have one.

yes it does now, but after a no deal Brexit it may be altered

CiniO wrote: »
    It is a proof that your insurer is providing third party cover in a country which is part of green card system.
    Without it, you won't be covered in countries which are part of EU or signed a deal with EU about recognising insurance.

You Irish policy will be useless in post-nodeal-brexit in UK, as it won't provide cover there.

Nothing like that.
    Green card is a document that shows that you are covered to drive in countries which are part of green card system.
    Without it, you are only covered in EU countries, and those which signed a deal with EU about recognising third party insurance.

Green card can exclude some countries, as your insurer might wish.
    There are no laws forcing insurers to issue them afaik.

Please stop spreading false information, we have enough of the journalists writing BS about Brexit...
    Total non sense

And must be issued on request and ideally on policy renewal or creation, automatically.

Has nothing to do with Brexit
    Insurers are just trying to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

CiniO wrote: »

Irish policies have been required to include NI for the last 60 years and green cards were dispensed with long before the EU.

NI have said no need for green card for 26 county residents
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/driving-cross-border-and-green-card

"If you hold a motor insurance policy as a resident of the Republic of
    Ireland, you won’t need a Green Card to drive in NI, as your insurance
    certificate will be accepted as proof of valid cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think they’ll all end up sending them automatically. Much easier and more efficient as a process and cheaper than responding to requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

According to the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland, we will definitely need a Green Card to travel in NI or UK in the event of a no deal Brexit:
    https://www.mibi.ie/brexit.1760.html

If there is a no deal Brexit on the 29th March, you will need a Green Card if you plan on driving an Irish registered vehicle in Northern Ireland or elsewhere in the UK.

A Green Card will stop you being treated as ‘uninsured’ by the police when driving your vehicle in Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK.

I agree that the information available is confusing and downright contradictory. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. I know that I'm insured according to my policy, but I don't care for having to argue the point with a PSNI member who believes the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I agree that the information available is confusing and downright contradictory. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. I know that I'm insured according to my policy, but I don't care for having to argue the point with a PSNI member who believes the opposite.

The PSNI are scared of Brexit undoing 20 years of progress, the last thing they want to do is stir up trouble with political policing of this sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So I am getting my green card this week. They said it is valid to the end of my policy. But I must tell them any dates I plan on driving out of the country due to foreign cover time limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭wassie

Automatically received an emailed PDF version of a green card from KennCo today after last week being told they were going to charge me €30 for such and would take 2-4 weeks to porcess.
    Amazing what computers can do these day :p

Advertisement