Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula E - Gen.2

Comments

Jaysis, it's harsh, but thems are the rules! Delighted for Audi.

Why they waited til after the race was over is beyond me. Surely with Formula E being all about being green they shouldn't be wasting tyres and energy letting a car drive around for no reason? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Not declaring the tyres? Seems like the kind of thing they could have black-flagged him for a lot earlier.

Black flagging a car earlier means they can save the tyres (and, well, the rest of the car) for the next race. DQ'ing after the fact both gives the option for appeals if they're less cut-and-dry, as well as ensures all cars have taken a similar amount of wear.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Black flagging a car earlier means they can save the tyres (and, well, the rest of the car) for the next race. DQ'ing after the fact both gives the option for appeals if they're less cut-and-dry, as well as ensures all cars have taken a similar amount of wear.

Well it was a pretty cut-and-dry one.
    Do they use the same tyres for 2 races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

They should maybe have black flagged him in the last lap. That was beyond ridiculous the way it played out. Formula E provides such great racing that these types of incidents drive down the sport. Constant penalties for technical issues, I am not disputing them but they seriously need to find an easier way to communicate them. F1 does this relatively effictevely so why can't FE? It is holding the sport back from a wider audience and I am not surprised TV stations do not want to touch it.

Another low for FE last night after they penalised Pascal Wehrlein by 5 seconds for improper use of Fan Boost, it appears he used it whilst in low power mode and did not use the full power on offer. Whilst clearly against the rules it does appear very harsh since he didn't actually gain any kind of an extra advantage. Also not very nice for the fans that actually voted for him to have the fan boost. Wehrlein is classified 4th although he finished 2nd.

Mortara controlled the race well though and was a deserved winner, he came under pressure from Wehrlein for a period of time but managed to hold on before Wehrlein dropped off - he probably would have been declared the winner even if he did finish behind Werhlein but still nicer to win it on the track.

Overall a bad weekend for FE. Their TV coverage was crap, they rarely showed the time gaps on the screen and the director always seemed to miss the action. The numerous badly explained technical infringements and penalties needs some serious work so that there is an awareness of what is actually going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact that the actual FE race is somewhat meaningless is a giant plague over the series.

Like there could be an exhilirating race. But most of the time the "result" isn't decided until an hour or so after the chequered flag when a glut of penalties are applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe well it looks like I did not miss much. FE is it's own worst enemy by the sounds of it and by the way they have let it go behind pay per view they certainly are. I could have been a bigger fan of this now instead of F1 but nope they put it behind pay per view before it was even established and guess what no TV channel even wants to take it on because of the lack of viewers.
    So for now on I will just catch the highlights of it when they appear on You-Tube and if not then it has been nice knowing you Formula e but you fu-cked up.
    At least with F1 we know where we stand you never know one weekend to the next if Formula e is going to be live or not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe well it looks like I did not miss much. FE is it's own worst enemy by the sounds of it and by the way they have let it go behind pay per view they certainly are. I could have been a bigger fan of this now instead of F1 but nope they put it behind pay per view before it was even established and guess what no TV channel even wants to take it on because of the lack of viewers.
    So for now on I will just catch the highlights of it when they appear on You-Tube and if not then it has been nice knowing you Formula e but you fu-cked up.
    At least with F1 we know where we stand you never know one weekend to the next if Formula e is going to be live or not.

I think they stopped putting full races on Youtube 2 weeks after the race, and removed the older races from youtube. This year they seem to be trying to kill it off.

Lots of annoyed tweets from big fans of previous seasons regarding this year.

Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think they stopped putting full races on Youtube 2 weeks after the race, and removed the older races from youtube. This year they seem to be trying to kill it off.

Lots of annoyed tweets from big fans of previous seasons regarding this year.

Ye it does not make any sense and seems utterly stupid what they are doing. If they had a big TV company paying them loads to have all the rights to it and to show it ok then it might make sense but they do not so it makes no sense. Yes the Formula 1 fanbase has gone down since it went from free to view to pay per view but it has a lot of fans and could afford to do that and to lose some fans Formula e on the other hand was barely established before they done it so it just makes no sense.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Silly season is really kicking in now. Rowland has apparently signed with Mahindra for next season, Lynn out? Also BMW and Audi are gone next season, what next for their drivers? And today we have rumours of Da Costa to IndyCar - it is apparently linked to Techcheetah financial issues but Da Costa says he is staying.

• Advertisement
    Ms

jv2000 wrote: »
    Silly season is really kicking in now. Rowland has apparently signed with Mahindra for next season, Lynn out? Also BMW and Audi are gone next season, what next for their drivers? And today we have rumours of Da Costa to IndyCar - it is apparently linked to Techcheetah financial issues but Da Costa says he is staying.

I can't blame BMW or Audi for leaving the way it is been run recently. Sure there is plenty more manufacturers to come in and take up where they were but I myself have lost interest in it now too. No point in trying to follow a series if you can not watch the races so last weekend was the last straw for me. Sorry Formula e but untill you sort the crap out you will never beat Formula 1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I can't blame BMW or Audi for leaving the way it is been run recently. Sure there is plenty more manufacturers to come in and take up where they were but I myself have lost interest in it now too. No point in trying to follow a series if you can not watch the races so last weekend was the last straw for me. Sorry Formula e but untill you sort the crap out you will never beat Formula 1.

Completely agree with you, they have reached a make or break moment in the future of the sport. The other part I hate is how irregular the races are, there is no pattern to the gaps between races and you could have 6 rounds in 6 days or 3 months between races. Then the races themselves are sometimes at midday, sometimes at 2pm, sometimes at night.... sometimes on a Friday.... drives me crazy. Just keep it simple, put all races on Youtube and rely on sponsorship and advertising instead TV deals like Virgin Media and Quest!!

I often laugh at the irony of this revolutionary electric series being so incompetent. They can't even do team radios well or get the timing right on the screen. So often I have seen drivers drop off the race classification only to re-appear a lap later.

This year is probably the worst of the whole series. It should be improving year on year but this year is worse than its debut.

Its almost like they are trying to wind down the series. Races have NEVER been as hard to even know about let alone watch.

jv2000 wrote: »
    Then the races themselves are sometimes at midday, sometimes at 2pm, sometimes at night.... sometimes on a Friday.... drives me crazy.

The race start times haven't been that spread about this year - Rome was 4p and 1p, Valencia 3p and 2p, Monaco and Puebla all at 4p. Not that far apart from each other, kind of like how F1 shuffles around an hour or two to suit the local climate and solar pattern.

The one big exception was Saudi Arabia where it was both at night (8pm) and on Fri/Sat because that's how their weekend works.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    The race start times haven't been that spread about this year - Rome was 4p and 1p, Valencia 3p and 2p, Monaco and Puebla all at 4p. Not that far apart from each other, kind of like how F1 shuffles around an hour or two to suit the local climate and solar pattern.

The one big exception was Saudi Arabia where it was both at night (8pm) and on Fri/Sat because that's how their weekend works.

For me that is a really big problem, Rome and Valencia are examples, why do we need a different race start time from Saturday to Sunday? Also Puebla may have been 4pm local time but it was 10pm Irish time. I am more accepting of local timezones though, it is the lack of consistency as outlined by Rome and Valencia that gets me.

Anyway, it is all an easy fix and there are bigger issues than this.

New York this weekend.

Saturday 10th
    FP1 — 12:55pm
    FP2 — 3:10pm
    Qualifying 1 — 5:15pm
    Race 1 — 9pm, green at 9:34pm

Sunday 11th
    FP3 — 12:10pm
    Qualifying 2 — 2:15pm
    Race 2 — 6pm, green at 6:34pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Channel 4 will show next weekend's rounds at the London ExCel Centre.

Those races will also have a reduced energy allowance as race simulations have shown much less need for energy regeneration than other circuits. Hopefully the reduction doesn't lead to a Valencia rehash.

Ms

Nice I will watch that even do I have not seen all the races this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Feckin' Lahndan this weekend. Rather than squirming around Battersea Park though, it's this interesting indoor/outdoor hybrid at the ExCeL centre.

Schedule

Friday 23rd

• FP1 — 4:55pm

Saturday 24th

• FP2 — 8:55am
    • Qualifying 1 — 10:45am
    • Race 1 — 2:00pm (Channel 4), 2:30pm (Virgin Two)

Sunday 25th

• FP3 — 7:55am
    • Qualifying 2 — 9:45am
    • Race 2 — 1:30pm (Channel 4/Virgin Two)

Eurosport is useless this week, only delayed race broadcasts at 7:30pm both days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Channel 4 is perfect for me. I think most people will have that anyway, and in HD too on Satellite Free-to-Air.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Me too. I have Virgin Two as well but will prob watch it on Channel 4.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Race just starting on Channel 4 now.

Thought it was gonna kick off a while ago so stayed in, probably not going to be able to get a roll by the time it's over now. 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

At least the stewards came down hard on Buemi for that nonsense with Rast. 10 second stop and go penalty. I think some of the drivers seem to think they're in Mario kart

Just as I typed this, we have Lotterer squeezing da Costa into in the wall and another one bites the dust

Jesus it's an awful clown show at times tbh.

Vandoorne must be **** fuming. Loses the lead because of nonsense pulled by di Grasi (which he may get away with) then gets punted out by an abysmal mistake by another driver.

I haven't watched a formula e race in a while, but the driving standards are atrocious. They're actively driving into opponents to slow their cars down or get around the mickey mouse hairpin

Clown show is right, Di Grassi has to be penalised for that pit lane stunt right? I mean that can't be legal

Yeah he's getting done for it. Would be interesting if he would've got away with it by stopping or would he have had to wait for the field to go past at the end of the pitlane.

Doesn't help Vandoorne in the end either.

Not a direct criticism of the series but I love how the one garage hidden from the cameras is the one that we need to see. 😆 I assumed they would have onboard footage of all the cars.

• Advertisement

If the intention is to turn formula e into the premier comedy racing series they have absolutely succeeded

Don't forget that there are people who still claim that the "relevance" of Formula E means it will be more popular than F1 soon. 😂

Relevance is good, competitive championship is good. But show that race to any prospective fan and they'll laugh at it. Worst driving standards I've seen in some time. Not sure that race control were in any control, Bits of car littered the track by the end, just left there because why not have a giant piece of bodywork on the main straight to spice up the racing. Just another gimmick to go with attack modes and fan boosts. Couple that with the what channel is it on this time guesswork involved in trying to watch it in the first place. It's got great potential but looks like amateur hour stuff still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Alexa show me why german car manufacturers have a bad image in motorsport.

What a sh8tshow of a race

Its worse than it has ever been this year. The first year had far less fcuk ups than this year.

Ms

That was a crazy race today but at least it was not boring like yesterday's race. I did not think the track was great. The concept was great but in reality it looked like the were racing in car parking or a carting track. At least the stewards are not afraid to dish out the penaltys here do and the right ones too unlike Formula 1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just watched the hylights.

vandoorne must be one of the un luckiest drivers in motorsport. loads of crazy stuff seems to follow him around.

the black flag is crazy . if he had stopped during the pit stop it would have been perfectly legal and would have allowed him to lead the race

that cichicane is madness. the amount of bumpercars was crazy. you cant expect cars to go through there 2 wide, its just too narrow

the tracks really need sorting out if FE is going to take off.. racing in a car park is the best way to discribe it. they are boring and bland tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

And they cannot download GPS data until they get the car back. McNish was adamant he stopped.

Ms

They thought they were been clever I would say and getting around the rules. I would say he stopped for about a second if even that and then went again. Very clever if it had worked but nope they got caught.

They really should change that and have the rules say if you come into the pits it should be for a genuine reason like fixing a broken wing or changing it or changing or tyre or to serve a penalty otherwise entering the pits during a race is not on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Nah. FE stewards are generally chronic.

Far too many races have entirely different classifications two/three hours after the race.

Although the fact they used the black flag during the race was a huge success and step forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

that would be hard to police . all they would have to do is check a body panel or pull something out of a duct and say it could have caused a problem but it would only take a second to do.

you would need to have a minium stop time say 2-3 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Close the pitlane exit during safety car and only open while safety car is in the middle sector.

So close to brilliance from Di Grassi. It was worth a shot and the win would have put him in second place in the championship heading into the final double header weekend.

To me it looks like he didn't stop. A little lock up but momentum still going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could that be attempted at a F1 race? I'm thinking about Monaco where the pitlane is surely a shortcut to Saint Devotte.

I would think that the F1 safety car is hitting at least over 120kph on the start/finish straight and the pit lane speed limit is 60kph. I know you can gun it between the safety car line and the pit lane speed limit line. Be interesting if that was tried to see the outcome.

Or does the pit lane exit red light come on as the safety car train comes around?

Yeah I'd agree with this, you can hear the tires screech as he "stops" and he is off immediately. I'd say he is having nightmares about it, if only he had waited 1 second...

Ms

Yep he should stopped for at least a second. I wonder will anyone else ever be brave enough to try something like this again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The FIA are going to clamp down on future attempts at emulating di GrAssi, so I doubt anyone will try it in future races.

They could just not have the safety car go deliberately slow. Some real rinky-dink nonsense.

Season finale double-header in Berlin this weekend.

Friday 13th

• FP1 — 3:55pm

Saturday 14th

• FP2 — 6:55am
    • Qualifying 1 — 8:45am
    • Race 1 — 12:30pm (Virgin Two, Eurosport 2)

Sunday 15th

• FP3 — 6:55am
    • FP4 — 8:25am
    • Qualifying 2 — 10:15am
    • Race 2 — 2:00pm (BBC2, Virgin Two, Eurosport 2)

EDIT: forgot to change from CET 😳

Post edited by TheChrisD on

• Advertisement
Advertisement