Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E - Gen.2

Options

Comments

Don't forget that there are people who still claim that the "relevance" of Formula E means it will be more popular than F1 soon. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Relevance is good, competitive championship is good. But show that race to any prospective fan and they'll laugh at it. Worst driving standards I've seen in some time. Not sure that race control were in any control, Bits of car littered the track by the end, just left there because why not have a giant piece of bodywork on the main straight to spice up the racing. Just another gimmick to go with attack modes and fan boosts. Couple that with the what channel is it on this time guesswork involved in trying to watch it in the first place. It's got great potential but looks like amateur hour stuff still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Alexa show me why german car manufacturers have a bad image in motorsport.

What a sh8tshow of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its worse than it has ever been this year. The first year had far less fcuk ups than this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a crazy race today but at least it was not boring like yesterday's race. I did not think the track was great. The concept was great but in reality it looked like the were racing in car parking or a carting track. At least the stewards are not afraid to dish out the penaltys here do and the right ones too unlike Formula 1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just watched the hylights.

vandoorne must be one of the un luckiest drivers in motorsport. loads of crazy stuff seems to follow him around.

the black flag is crazy . if he had stopped during the pit stop it would have been perfectly legal and would have allowed him to lead the race

that cichicane is madness. the amount of bumpercars was crazy. you cant expect cars to go through there 2 wide, its just too narrow

the tracks really need sorting out if FE is going to take off.. racing in a car park is the best way to discribe it. they are boring and bland tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

And they cannot download GPS data until they get the car back. McNish was adamant he stopped.

Ms

They thought they were been clever I would say and getting around the rules. I would say he stopped for about a second if even that and then went again. Very clever if it had worked but nope they got caught.

They really should change that and have the rules say if you come into the pits it should be for a genuine reason like fixing a broken wing or changing it or changing or tyre or to serve a penalty otherwise entering the pits during a race is not on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nah. FE stewards are generally chronic.

Far too many races have entirely different classifications two/three hours after the race.

Although the fact they used the black flag during the race was a huge success and step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

that would be hard to police . all they would have to do is check a body panel or pull something out of a duct and say it could have caused a problem but it would only take a second to do.

you would need to have a minium stop time say 2-3 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Close the pitlane exit during safety car and only open while safety car is in the middle sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jv2000

So close to brilliance from Di Grassi. It was worth a shot and the win would have put him in second place in the championship heading into the final double header weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

To me it looks like he didn't stop. A little lock up but momentum still going forward.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could that be attempted at a F1 race? I'm thinking about Monaco where the pitlane is surely a shortcut to Saint Devotte.

I would think that the F1 safety car is hitting at least over 120kph on the start/finish straight and the pit lane speed limit is 60kph. I know you can gun it between the safety car line and the pit lane speed limit line. Be interesting if that was tried to see the outcome.

Or does the pit lane exit red light come on as the safety car train comes around?

Yeah I'd agree with this, you can hear the tires screech as he "stops" and he is off immediately. I'd say he is having nightmares about it, if only he had waited 1 second...

Ms

Yep he should stopped for at least a second. I wonder will anyone else ever be brave enough to try something like this again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The FIA are going to clamp down on future attempts at emulating di GrAssi, so I doubt anyone will try it in future races.

They could just not have the safety car go deliberately slow. Some real rinky-dink nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Season finale double-header in Berlin this weekend.

Friday 13th

• FP1 — 3:55pm

Saturday 14th

• FP2 — 6:55am
    • Qualifying 1 — 8:45am
    • Race 1 — 12:30pm (Virgin Two, Eurosport 2)

Sunday 15th

• FP3 — 6:55am
    • FP4 — 8:25am
    • Qualifying 2 — 10:15am
    • Race 2 — 2:00pm (BBC2, Virgin Two, Eurosport 2)

EDIT: forgot to change from CET 😳

Post edited by TheChrisD on

• Advertisement
    Ms

BBC 2 have Sundays race from 2pm as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Such a shame that the Berlin Tempelhof Airport Circuit is so boring to look at. Hoping for a great race(s) though and I guess we won't see the championship leaders anywhere near the front of the grid on Saturday which adds to the intrigue. Would love to see Frijns get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Oh hey, there's something else I've managed to completely overlook about this weekend - we're going both ways.

Saturday's race is in the normal direction, while Sunday's race is in reverse. That would explain why there's two practices on Sunday...

Classic Werhlein - way too agressive and came off wurst. Disaster for Bird in today's race.

Ms

Some race so far. Ds really making a balls of it strategy wise.

I still hate the 15mins plus 1 lap or 12 mins plus 1 lap rubbish. Bring back a set number of laps and get rid of that nonsense it's so much better when you know how many laps not time there is to go.

Also I have to say fair play to Boards.IE still for having Formula e in the sports foum and section. It will not feature in any other media be in print or broadcasting not even Sky will mention it these days but Boards still has it in the right place. I think everyone else just thinks it's an entertainment show and do not take it seriously.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I have never liked the Audi livery. I think it's very dull.

Compare it to Jaguars livery which is so much nicer or even Mahindras which was always lovely.

I wonder who will come in to replace Audi when they leave Formula-e after this year.

I think it would be great to see Hyundai or Kia in Formula-e.

Even Mazda would be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Toyota need to get more into electric cars. They're way behind. RnD in Formula E world be good for them.

Today's race wasn't to bad. I like the wide nature of the track, and probably allows multiple lines to be taken at corners. This layout doesn't have much of those tight parts where you could only fit a Badgers whisker and causes pile ups when the chance takers are going for it.

I have to say, is there any merit in playing it safe in Formula E? I wonder who is Mr Consistent and near the top of the table?!

Ms

I agree. It would be a great fit for Toyota and cheap compared to F1 too.

I think it would be good for Ford to get into it too.

Also I think Stellantis should try and get one of there's into it maybe Opel or Peugeot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How haven't Tesla come in yet? You'd think this would be right up their alley.

Advertisement