Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

Folks I found these during a clear out. Never made it on to a 407 I had a while back. Might be of some use to any of ye in the Limerick area. Free to take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A quick browse of the google maps shows my Avensis! Here and here, which is ironic as the weather in each link genuinely sums up the atmosphere of each establishment... The Merc made an appearance too at one stage, Nissan wheels standing out gleaming in the sunlight. I miss that car

I no longer work there, hence I'm showing you all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had a car behind me last night (couldn't make out exactly what) that had those new Matrix LED lights. Might be great for the driver, but EXTREMELY annoying as the car in front I have to say.

Seeing the driver's side light turning on and off every few seconds to adjust to oncoming traffic is very distracting as it keeps getting your attention in the mirror and on the road as it brightens/darkens around you.

Stupid thing!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was in for an nct retest, last time yer man was poking at the brake line, turns out it was almost corroded, and his poking caused it to burst.

Anyway, in for the retest today, guy was driving it around, and saw the button for the air horn. He gave it 2 toots on the way in, and 1 when parked outside after. Got the pass anyway, 2 New brake lines were fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

beertons wrote: »
    Was in for an nct retest, last time yer man was poking at the brake line, turns out it was almost corroded, and his poking caused it to burst.

Anyway, in for the retest today, guy was driving it around, and saw the button for the air horn. He gave it 2 toots on the way in, and 1 when parked outside after. Got the pass anyway, 2 New brake lines were fitted.

Air horn.,... Is it a truck one or train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Corroded brake lines.. what kind of BMW do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Little interim oil service today.

IMG-20190323-182443.jpg
    IMG-20190323-183439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Possible lifesaver - not just another form of taxation!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought a gloss black kidney grill for the F10 on ebay. Went to fit it yesterday and found two clips on one side were broken off completely and missing. Ebay seller of course is having none of it, claiming I must have broke them during fitting and has now gone on radio silence. Fitted it earlier today to see how it looked and the gloss black grill works well with carbon black paintwork, only thing is that the one with the broken clips is not fitting right obviously so had to put the original back in. Only €55 but still annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

bazz26 wrote: »
    Bought a gloss black kidney grill for the F10 on ebay. Went to fit it yesterday and found two clips on one side were broken off completely and missing. Ebay seller of course is having none of it, claiming I must have broke them during fitting and has now gone on radio silence. Fitted it earlier today to see how it looked and the gloss black grill works well with carbon black paintwork, only thing is that the one with the broken clips is not fitting right obviously so had to put the original back in. Only €55 but still annoyed.

Surely PayPal will refund you? Take pictures of the broken clips and use them as evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Isn't that what zip-ties were made for?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Anyone here have any knowledge of Hyundai Santa Fe’s?

A man from a Hyundai garage called me during the week about a vehicle i had for sale, i mentioned to him that i bought a 2007 Santa Fe recently and he mentioned something about lowering the sump and getting something and something removed and cleared out... I was at work so didn’t have time to ask too much questions and I cannot call him back now because I sold the vehicle he was calling me about :pac:

Anyone have any idea what it could be? 2007 Santa Fe with the 2.2 CRDI engine. 200k kms on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Murt102 wrote: »

A man from a Hyundai garage called me during the week about a vehicle i had for sale, i mentioned to him that i bought a 2007 Santa Fe recently and he mentioned something about lowering the sump and getting something and something removed and cleared out... I was at work so didn’t have time to ask too much questions and I cannot call him back now because I sold the vehicle he was calling me about :pac:

Anyone have any idea what it could be? 2007 Santa Fe with the 2.2 CRDI engine. 200k kms on the clock.
    Haven't a clue about santa fe's but I'd assume he is on about a sludge problem.
    Fully synthetic oil should help if not already used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 2.2's and actually most Hyundai diesels are prone to sudging. I'm sure he meant to drop the sump and clean the oil pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Murt102 wrote: »

I assume he meant taking off the sump to clean all the oil sludge out and change / clean the oil pick up pipe. Google Santa Fe oil sludge issues and you’ll get loads of results no doubt.

Dartz wrote: »

Mmmmm well, they're also known as cable ties .... not yokes to use when clips break ties :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

CIP4 wrote: »
    I assume he meant taking off the sump to clean all the oil sludge out and change / clean the oil pick up pipe. Google Santa Fe oil sludge issues and you’ll get loads of results no doubt.

The fancy pidgeon had a run in with his sump recently

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108723484&postcount=8599

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Surely PayPal will refund you? Take pictures of the broken clips and use them as evidence

I have opened a case but I'm not hopeful as it's my word against the sellers.
    Dartz wrote: »

I wish it were that easy, these are clips that fasten into little slots. Cable ties won't work.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Mmmmm well, they're also known as cable ties .... not yokes to use when clips break ties :pac:

Ha, indeedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

So does this sludging issue on Hyundai diesels affect the original 2.0 Mk 1 Santa Fe diesels too????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

The A4 is going in for a major service on Friday will end up being about 1K km before it’s due but I will be very busy in April and May so want to get it sorted otherwise would end up being way overdue.

• Advertisement

I reckon garages are fleecing people on the major service thing. My sorento is due one too shortly.... it's an air filter and a minor service essentially .... fuel filter not even to be done iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Old diesel wrote: »
    So does this sludging issue on Hyundai diesels affect the original 2.0 Mk 1 Santa Fe diesels too????

Yes pigeons one was a MK1..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

bazz26 wrote: »

Which clip was it bazz? On my gloss black (F30) grilles, they don't have the clips that slide in beside the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Truckermal wrote: »
    Old diesel wrote: »

Yes pigeons one was a MK1..

Excellent.

Will look at having the sump and oil pick up cleaned on ours so.

We've done the ignore precautionary measures to alleviate common issue on a previous vehicle.

Doing it on this Santa Fe will help extend the life of the vehicle.

Far cheaper then a replacement car (4wd SUV thing/farm workhorse)

Which clip was it bazz? On my gloss black (F30) grilles, they don't have the clips that slide in beside the headlights.

Definitely two clips on the side of the F10 grille that are broken off on one of them. See attached photo.

The seller has been on to me this morning again so fingers crossed there will be a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Definitely broken off is right! Hope it goes your way given the evidence in that pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

There are some very cheaply made versions out there bazz, I know because I got caught out too. Granted they weren't broke when I opened the box but one or two clips snapped like chalk during installation. The genuine black ones from BMW are different quality altogether but bloody expensive, as expected.

Did you go for the double slat ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

To be fair PayPal nearly always side with the buyer regardless of whether they're right or wrong so he should be okay

Wailin wrote: »
    There are some very cheaply made versions out there bazz, I know because I got caught out too. Granted they weren't broke when I opened the box but one or two clips snapped like chalk during installation. The genuine black ones from BMW are different quality altogether but bloody expensive, as expected.

Did you go for the double slat ones?

Yep not being OEM the quality is not the best but I didn't want to spend too much money on something I was in two minds about keeping on. Yeah, went with the double slat ones as they looked the best imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What about these Bazz?

attachment.php?attachmentid=2016596&stc=1&d=1553381418

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement