Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The amount of times I've had the wrong air filter delivered by micksgarage - handier being able to walk in to return it so I use my local factors now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I dropped my car for service, and I sow they finally got Citroen C5 Aircross demo car. Damn right I took it for a spin. Did so much research on it.
    It was 1.2 130hp manual. I hated it. In a way I am happy I tested it, i know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So I dropped my car for service, and I sow they finally got Citroen C5 Aircross demo car. Damn right I took it for a spin. Did so much research on it.
    It was 1.2 130hp manual. I hated it. In a way I am happy I tested it, i know now.

got a c3 aircross as a rental nothing wrong with it but why cant i use the physical knob on the dash rather that trying to hit the +/- on the touchscreen ridiculous implemetation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was just thinking I should book my NCT for this year, early as things are going relatively well. Then the engine warning light pops on after a spirited acceleration onto the M11. Car was running perfectly fine, nothing amiss. Need to read codes, some sensor somewhere no doubt. Fingers crossed it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Was just thinking I should book my NCT for this year, early as things are going relatively well. Then the engine warning light pops on after a spirited acceleration onto the M11. Car was running perfectly fine, nothing amiss. Need to read codes, some sensor somewhere no doubt. Fingers crossed it's easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Scanner-Adapter-Wireless-Diagnostic/dp/B07CP632CL/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1553004354&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=elm%2B327%2Bbluetooth&dpPl=1&dpID=41fGu1fFWBL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Ever tried one of these bluetooth yolks? Work alright for a basic scan for coilpack and sensors faults.

• Advertisement

got a c3 aircross as a rental nothing wrong with it but why cant i use the physical knob on the dash rather that trying to hit the +/- on the touchscreen ridiculous implemetation.

Don't understand me wrong. It looks fantastic. Seats comfortable. Looks very modern. For normal family wagon, it's great car. Driving it, kind of put to the rest my thoughts on "finally growing up" and driving normal cars. I got my car back, put it in to sport mode and went a bit HAM. Gave me massive grin and reminded me why I suffer stiff suspensions, higher bills etc.
    I have to admit, I had huge expectations for c5 aircross and did some research. All that talk about comfort and sound isolation etc. Well It's not as great as reviews and marketing spinning it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interslice wrote: »

Ah yeah, I have one in the garage, just haven't read the codes yet. I'll get to it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I had my usual 20 mins on the road this morning. Fog with reduced visibility, I saw good few cars with drl's on only, so no rear lights at all. Are they aware of this? It's frightening to think about people getting into their cars without doing the basic thinking. :-(

padyjoe wrote: »
    I had my usual 20 mins on the road this morning. Fog with reduced visibility, I saw good few cars with drl's on only, so no rear lights at all. Are they aware of this? It's frightening to think about people getting into their cars without doing the basic thinking. :-(

Some/most/all auto light set-ups are poor enough at recognising fog in daylight....... as there's sufficient light detected by the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

padyjoe wrote: »
    I've seen too many of these, people don't seem to realise DRL's are only front lights.
    It's not that hard to know how your car functions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mainly it's pure thickness.

Some it's down to the lit up dash.

Others pull up behind the car in front and see the light output from the DRLs so are happy enough thinking lights are on.

Most cars with DRLs don't even have auto on/off lights and then see the other issues come as people can override this function and leave it off in the ones that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

Genuine question,

At what speed will Gardai make an arrest for speeding?

I know it can be individual discretion in most cases but is there say a hard and fast “rule @ if your doing say 30 over a specific limit( 150 in a 120, 130 in a 100 etc..) or higher number that it’s an automatic arrest situation.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No "automatic" rule AFAIK. Depends on road/weather condition and Gardai discretion one may get a FCPN and 3 points for 60 over the limit, another one arrested for 30 over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mainly it's pure thickness.

Some it's down to the lit up dash.

Others pull up behind the car in front and see the light output from the DRLs so are happy enough thinking lights are on.

Most cars with DRLs don't even have auto on/off lights and then see the other issues come as people can override this function and leave it off in the ones that do.

Do ya know how much those fancy bulbs cost? Paddy's machanic sez they are a hoor to change too so lave them turned off!!!! They won't pass the ntc either if they go wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Gents,

I am ordering a set of plates off eireplates for the first time. I'm just looking for nice, clean pressed metal plates

Has anyone ordered from them before? Should I be selecting "Pair pressed metal 520x112mm oblong" - thats the standard size isn't it?

Thanks

Gents,

I am ordering a set of plates off eireplates for the first time. I'm just looking for nice, clean pressed metal plates

Has anyone ordered from them before? Should I be selecting "Pair pressed metal 520x112mm oblong" - thats the standard size isn't it?

Thanks

Yes that's the one if you are unsure send Trevor a email he's sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I saw a 151 Mercedes SLS AMG today. First one i’ve Seen on Irish plates.

Anyone stocking up on tyres etc? I ordered 2 sets of tyres for her car and a set for my own from camskill before Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Truckermal wrote: »
    Anyone stocking up on tyres etc? I ordered 2 sets of tyres for her car and a set for my own from camskill before Brexit!

I always find Camskill the most expensive out of tyreleader, openeo etc!

I always find Camskill the most expensive out of tyreleader, openeo etc!

Ya it varies but they are 100 quid per set cheaper for her car..Not much of a saving for mine but I have the money now.

• Advertisement

What do you reckon is the potential saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Does anyone know the names of roll on roll off car carriers delivering Toyota's to Ireland? From Japan and also Canada? Or indeed carriers that take them from hubs such as Southampton to Dublin or Rosslare? I'm trying to track down a Hybrid Rav 4 which is weeks beyond it's delivery date, with the dealer running out of excuses as to the delay.

Augeo wrote: »

150 euro per set.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ciarsd wrote: »
    Does anyone know the names of roll on roll off car carriers delivering Toyota's to Ireland? From Japan and also Canada? Or indeed carriers that take them from hubs such as Southampton to Dublin or Rosslare? I'm trying to track down a Hybrid Rav 4 which is weeks beyond it's delivery date, with the dealer running out of excuses as to the delay.

Get the dealer to show you your car on the Toyota dealer info system. If they can’t then there’s probably no car.
    You’ll unfortunately find this going on, especially the ones who are selling it as a straight deal for the cheapest price.
    Another factor is that it’s a new model that’s in demand globally, there will realistically be delays. Whether a realistic delivery time was given or not, or whether there is a specific car allocated to you is the question.

I doubt there is. You need to remember, that tyres have limited shelf life too. Rubber gets harder with time.
    For the sake of saving 20-30eu per tyre, I better buy them fresh and new when I need them. Instead of having good tyre, which compromised by just sitting on a shelf.

150 euro per set.
    I doubt there is. You need to remember, that tyres have limited shelf life too. Rubber gets harder with time.
    For the sake of saving 20-30eu per tyre, I better buy them fresh and new when I need them. Instead of having good tyre, which compromised by just sitting on a shelf.

Was just wondering in the context of Brexit.
    Like who knows how much tyres are going to go up by due to Brexit?

Unregistered Users

[...]
    Like who knows how much tyres are going to go up by due to Brexit?

Why would they? Vast majority of them are made elsewhere.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Why would they? Vast majority of them are made elsewhere.

I honestly don't know.
    I was asking the question.......I don't have the answers lads :)
    I'm not suggesting they will go up in price either.

Unregistered Users

Me neither. But it's extremely unlikely anything made in one of 27 EU states change price just because Brexit.

• Advertisement

Well, I ordered tyres from oponeo.ie 2 weeks ago and according to tracking, those were coming from France. So I really don't see the issue here.
    Ireland will have soon it's own version of Doomsday redneck prepers due to Brexit. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement