Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You get one with the Zappi, you need more if you want to integrate solar or a battery later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Same problem I had. The pilot wire inside breaks (it’s much smaller gauge than the current wires). It has been 100% since I replaced it.

You need to know what you are doing. It’s not hard (a bit harder than wiring a plug) but I guess the risk is higher. There are 2 coils that the cables need to pass through. One for live and neutral and one for live only. They are heavy cables and not very flexible but if you are any way handy you should be fine. Take loads to photos before you remove the old cable.

edit: you can see the coils in the wiring diagram on this page: https://www.myenergi.com/wiki/zappi-v1/installation/

I assume the V2 is similar if that’s what you have.

Post edited by stimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

I'm having a hard time googling this but as I understand Zappi is now at version 3? Does anyone know what the difference between version 2 and 3 ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for that, it's the V1 I have. Will likely be getting the brother to wire it, not too comfortable with that sort of thing myself!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

was just about to ask if I should get the hub installed too 😀

To be clear, there is v2 and v2.1 - v2.1 I think is the only version sold now, and has integrated hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

So I had an issue with my Zappi the other day. I had plugged in the car to the unit to charge. Something failed and I noticed afterwards that i had the pink light on the unit. Screen looked like it does when there was a power cut. needs to hold the 3 lines button and reset.

When I did this it kept telling me to unplug the vehicle (which I had). It then wanted to be reset (hold 3 lines button again). It seemed to get itself stuck in a loop and wouldn't reset.

I ended up having to flick the switch on the fuse in the consumer unit in the house to power it down and restart it. This worked, but i'm not sure thats the ideal reset?

Anybody else have any similar issue and if so how did you fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

I had similar yesterday to hold the three line but same error keep coming up. My fault is #25 to do with PE Fault. Shut off power etc didn't work. When I was using it, it was just after it finish charging my father's car. The unit was a bit warm, I can only assume the is to do with cooling rather than PE issue. I left it for about 45 mins and decided to try again, it worked straight off. Waiting for installer to give feedback.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Duine_Eigin

Did any other V1 Zappi owners get the email below from Myenergi? Bit disappointing that they are ending firmware support for the V1 Zappi. I have a Zappi and Eddi installed and I was actually thinking about adding a second Zappi to the system. I checked with them and any V2 Zappi's currently sold will not work alongside a V1 Zappi. I asked about two V1 Zappi's working together and they said this would be fine but that they could not guarantee app support for the V1 Zappi in the future. I asked about a timeframe for ending support but they couldn't give me one. Anyway, just something to keep in mind. Also, if anyone avails of the deal and is looking to offload their old V1 Zappi, I might be interested.

• Advertisement

Buy that Zappi2 exc install and sell it, you'll have a line of buyers

I'd jump on that if I was offered it. When did you install yours? Mine is about 4.5 years old.

That's what I was thinking of doing. It should hopefully cover the cost of the V1 Zappi that I'm looking for.

I had mine installed in 2018 as part of a new build. I had wiring installed for a second charger on the opposite side of the driveway at the time. We're a two EV household and the V1 Zappi reaches both cars but with one of them, it trails across the driveway and is a bit of a trip hazard.

Yeah, bought direct. I placed the order online and got the electrician to fit it along with the Eddi.

If you got yours through an installer, you might be able to ring them up and give them your Zappi serial number to get the discount.

Yeah, I bought from Electric Autos here, who were agents at the time. I'll drop them a mail and see what the craic is.

Just had a response from Myenergi - they are offering me the discounted V2.1. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I didn't receive that email. Not sure what the criteria is for getting the offer. I bought directly from them too. Maybe they'll get to me.

What worries me alot more is the statement "if you update the other devices the zappi can no longer be used to balance car charging and solar PV". 🤯

Thats a massive problem for most people. The Solar integration is one of its key selling points.

At the very least they should ensure that the v1 Zappa's continue to work as they do today. They shouldn't be allowed to effectively brick them like that!

I'll take the offer if they offer it though! 😉

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've never updated the firmware on mine since it's always worked fine from day one, was always afraid it would break something on me. If I hadn't just spent money on a new cable I'd be tempted to see can I get that upgrade though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Got my zappi installed today but the Installers couldn't get the WiFi to connect. Bit of a pain. He thinks it could be the wifi unit it's self. Car is charging but still annoying. He put a call into mienergy to sort it so waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

What channel is your wifi on. Sometimes home wifi on auto channel assignment goes to channel 13, which many devices cannot use. Ensure you use 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4ghz band.

I'm not sure if MyEnergi use 5ghz

If you don't know your wifi channel, then download wifiman from Ubiquiti Networks to your phone

For anyone looking for the discounted Zappi V2.1, they have confirmed you can keep your old Zappi:

You can keep the V1 zappi however this won't work with your other devices once they're all on V5 so it will need to be set up independently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sometimes mesh systems can cause issues as well - didnt with mine (netgear orbi) but installer said they can cause problems and sometimes they have to use a network extender with a 2.4 ghz only network..

I have Google Mesh, no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I took delivery of the Zappi 2.1 today. I was offered the update a couple of weeks ago as I was getting the "undexpected pilot" error.

I was told it would be a reconditioned unit with a 3 year warranty. The unit delivered is brand new.

My V1 is located under a carport and never gets direct sun, so the faceplate is in good nick and the cable has never been tightly wound around the unit, so no splitting where it enters the charger. It's a shame to see a unit installed at the start of 2018 failing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got my Zappi installed today.

What's the idea of the % green energy slider when I go into the car settings?

If you set it to 100% it will only charge when there is excess solar. For lower values it will top up from the grid.

Some examples, if your EV was charging at 5kW (used 5 to makes the numbers easier):

When the slider is set at 100%:

Grid power=0kW Solar power=5kW

When the slider is set at 50%:

Grid power=2.5kW Solar power=2.5kW

When the slider is set to 1%:

Grid power=4.95kW Solar power=0.05kW

If you have solar then you probably want to set it to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks. Makes sense of what I was seeing on the app today as I changed the slider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

So I have figured out my wifi issue. I was able to connect the zappi to a router that I brought outside and set up. My problem is my external walls. There is a foil backed insulated panel on the inside and more in the cavity. So signal isn't getting through

Advertisement