Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

My thoughts after a week back.
    We are screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

First of the Croke Park hours for us this week. We sitting in school for "remote" meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

First of the Croke Park hours for us this week. We sitting in school for "remote" meeting.

Camera off and I’d get some planning/correcting done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Teach30 wrote: »

Exactly what I did last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Teach30 wrote: »

We have to sit in groups in rooms with one laptop hooked to a projector :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

We did that with the sound muted. Best staff meeting ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

The slippage the issue. Too tight you can't talk properly, end up too warm, slight headaches.
    Yes, I have constant headaches from the pull on my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes, I have constant headaches from the pull on my ears

I'm Going to end up with ears like Dobby before the end

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Clockwork Orange Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Got the tail end of a piece on News Talk that Dublin colleges are likely to be encouraged to provide 100% of coursework online.

No such option for secondary schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Got the tail end of a piece on News Talk that Dublin colleges are likely to be encouraged to provide 100% of coursework online.

No such option for secondary schools.
    FE Colleges seem to be a mixed bag, half in, half out, podcasts, live, some classroom delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

It has been okay in my school up to this week. But now that the students are starting to drop out with symptoms or because they were a close contact, it is starting to get messy.

Tried the live streaming home, it's just too impractical.

The sheer frustration due to how much time is being wasted is really starting to get to me:

5mins gone getting to class
    5mins gone santising desk, computer, hands
    5mins gone waiting for computer to load (for the class in front of me, if it works) and open up laptop (for the live streamers)
    5mins gone taking register, setting class up to work
    FIFTEEN MINUTES OF TEACHING, interrupted by about a dozen requests for trips to the toilet
    5mins gone to tidy up, log out of computers, sanitise desk and pack laptop away

And god forbid you might need to make a pit stop at the toilet or anything along the way ... you're down to 10mins then!

Not all classes are that bad, in some I get a good half hr done but they are honestly few and far between

Was worried about the students breaking equipment in their base rooms when they were unsupervised... I was worried about the wrong people. All of a sudden, now that teachers don't have their own rooms, they seem to have lost all respect for the desktop computers and projectors. I don't even know how they manage to do the sh1t they do but the IT people are about to quit - fixing a problem on Monday for it to be f**ked again by Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't envy you Bananaleaf. We have stuck with teachers having their own base rooms and loading the timetable with doubles so there is less movement. It's working pretty well. Most teachers have a base room so are not spending half the day logging in and out of computers. We were all given a chromebook the first week back so they are fast and everyone has their own. Students are relatively fast at cleaning their desks at the end of each class now and we have a one way system in place so to be fair to them they are turning up to class fast, because they can't hang around on corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    It has been okay in my school up to this week. But now that the students are starting to drop out with symptoms or because they were a close contact, it is starting to get messy.

Tried the live streaming home, it's just too impractical.

The sheer frustration due to how much time is being wasted is really starting to get to me:

5mins gone getting to class
    5mins gone santising desk, computer, hands
    5mins gone waiting for computer to load (for the class in front of me, if it works) and open up laptop (for the live streamers)
    5mins gone taking register, setting class up to work
    FIFTEEN MINUTES OF TEACHING, interrupted by about a dozen requests for trips to the toilet
    5mins gone to tidy up, log out of computers, sanitise desk and pack laptop away

And god forbid you might need to make a pit stop at the toilet or anything along the way ... you're down to 10mins then!

Not all classes are that bad, in some I get a good half hr done but they are honestly few and far between

Was worried about the students breaking equipment in their base rooms when they were unsupervised... I was worried about the wrong people. All of a sudden, now that teachers don't have their own rooms, they seem to have lost all respect for the desktop computers and projectors. I don't even know how they manage to do the sh1t they do but the IT people are about to quit - fixing a problem on Monday for it to be f**ked again by Wednesday...

This is a major issue. Teaching time virtually cut in half. Yet 6th years have been given a very very minor help with changes for LC exam. I am so worried for that cohort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't envy you Bananaleaf. We have stuck with teachers having their own base rooms and loading the timetable with doubles so there is less movement. It's working pretty well. Most teachers have a base room so are not spending half the day logging in and out of computers. We were all given a chromebook the first week back so they are fast and everyone has their own. Students are relatively fast at cleaning their desks at the end of each class now and we have a one way system in place so to be fair to them they are turning up to class fast, because they can't hang around on corridors.

That sounds pretty good. I was so surprised to see that our school didnt do the same with the doubles. Instead they virtually got rid of them across the board, we have never had less double classes. I just can't understand it.
    This is a major issue. Teaching time virtually cut in half. Yet 6th years have been given a very very minor help with changes for LC exam. I am so worried for that cohort

It is a huge issue maynooth_rules. I honestly didnt think it would be but you really underestimate the time it takes you to get there, get set up, log in and then log out and pack up again. I think some teachers arent logging out properly either and are just switching the computers off so theres all that extra time waiting for the whole thing to load up.

Kids are behaving but they are taking advantage too. In our place they weren't allowed to toilet during class but now it is encouraged so guess what? You have some lads going up to 9 times a day!!

Also, we were told the first week to set them all up on teams in case of school closure. But that was the last it was ever mentioned and half of them dont know how to use teams but there is no access to computer labs to show them. So ... if we do end up closing I can imagine that those who had the accessibility issues last time around will still have them

Oh and our LWRs (who are brilliant) are like headless chickens this week preparing for the Covid inspections which have apparently begun :rolleyes:

We were given laptops and they are really great, but they don't connect to the projectors wirelessly. So when live streaming to satellite room or home if doing it, you're working off 2 computers.

When is a close contact not a close contact? When the contact happens in a school.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0917/1165854-drogheda-school-covid-19/

This is very worrying for teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

When is a close contact not a close contact? When the contact happens in a school.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0917/1165854-drogheda-school-covid-19/

This is very worrying for teachers.

So if there was a mistake made then I think I the HSE need to be very transparent and be open about what the issue was. Something stinks about this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

So if there was a mistake made then I think I the HSE need to be very transparent and be open about what the issue was. Something stinks about this story.

Agreed. Either the app works or it doesn't. If not why is this not public knowledge? If it does work, they are basically saying that too many teachers marked as close contacts is too disruptive so they're dismissing the data. Either scenario is bad and needs explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think it's the fact that teachers could be next door to eachother for a period of time, but not actually in close contact.
    I have heard of neighbours being advised that they were close contacts, because they share a wall of a detached house.
    I presume this is why we are not encouraged to use the App in school,. I thought it would have made sense for all students and teachers to use it, but it has never been mentioned or recommended by the DES, probably because teachers' close contacts will soon be going into overdrive and they don't want to have to pay for subs or close schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Schools must be some magic place immune to Covid for Adults.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

If they came out and said they had investigated and the teachers weren’t in the same room I could accept that. It just seems they are making that decision before investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We are similar. I have less doubles than ever and it’s awful. Doubles I get good work done. Singles have a lot of wasted time this year, it really really adds up. I’m fighting asthma all week and I just couldn’t run from building to building or I was sucking ventolin. I really felt the impact in arriving slightly later with loads to do.

Our internet has pretty much just stopped working. We are all tethering to phones to even take vsware never mind watch YouTube clips etc. We are 1:1 iPads but the devices are largely without WiFi. It’s on the fix list but it’s still tendering so we’re not even at install list. This means the satellite room is a fiasco. Literally having to tell the kids on the corridor what they are doing before they go!

To be fair our management are announcing constantly about masks etc but I know not all our staff agree with it and I can see it slipping. The take is all coming off the floors too and needs to be redone

Agreed. Either the app works or it doesn't. If not why is this not public knowledge? If it does work, they are basically saying that too many teachers marked as close contacts is too disruptive so they're dismissing the data. Either scenario is bad and needs explanation.
    "more than 30 of its teachers were alerted yesterday via the Covid tracker app that they were close contacts of a virus case."

I think they'll install a 'list occupation' on the app.

if (teacher) {
    switch_off_bluetooth;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Is there any teachers here who are not part of the S and S scheme, took the option to pay to opt out? f so have you signed up to the supplementary scheme this year that allows teachers to opt in as a response to the pandemic?

In our school I and a lot of teachers opted out of the scheme when they had the option and have decided not to make ourselves available for the extra paid scheme this year. In recent staff meetings management has labelled us teachers who are not making ourselves available for the extra paid S and S as being non committed to the school and our students. This really hurt me I have to say as I feel that over 20 years I have shown voluntary committment to my students wellbeing each and every day in a huge variety of ways and will continue to do so and yet now because I won't opt in to a paid scheme I am not committed.

A lot of the reasons I and other staff will not opt in are due to the very strained relationship that exist between staff and senior management and the lack of respect we feel. I totaly understand how that might seem petty to many in the current situation but I am happier to do what I can still every day for my students wellbeing through my classroom roll and in what ever way I can without opting in to paid scheme

Am I wrong?

jayo76 wrote: »
    Is there any teachers here who are not part of the S and S scheme, took the option to pay to opt out? f so have you signed up to the supplementary scheme this year that allows teachers to opt in as a response to the pandemic?

In our school I and a lot of teachers opted out of the scheme when they had the option and have decided not to make ourselves available for the extra paid scheme this year. In recent staff meetings management has labelled us teachers who are not making ourselves available for the extra paid S and S as being non committed to the school and our students. This really hurt me I have to say as I feel that over 20 years I have shown voluntary committment to my students wellbeing each and every day in a huge variety of ways and will continue to do so and yet now because I won't opt in to a paid scheme I am not committed.

A lot of the reasons I and other staff will not opt in are due to the very strained relationship that exist between staff and senior management and the lack of respect we feel. I totaly understand how that might seem petty to many in the current situation but I am happier to do what I can still every day for my students wellbeing through my classroom roll and in what ever way I can without opting in to paid scheme

Am I wrong?

No.

It was ruairi quinn's mission to have teachers in schools from 9-5 and fill their timetable with S&S and bs croke Park detention.
    That's on top of all the other extra curricular and rushing around planning during non contact time... Not to mention the lunchtime meetings about more "planning and documenting".

Fair enough if they need some goodwill, but if that's been abused in the past then its not your problem.

The extra paid s and s hasn’t even been mentioned in our school. I assume they have enough to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

What do we make of that ..........it will go down like a lead balloon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

km79 wrote: »
    What do we make of that ..........it will go down like a lead balloon

Depends on if all the unions go on together... But they won't because the lectures and principals will want to be seen to be good little workers by the DES. So it'll be asti on their own.. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Depends on if all the unions go on together... But they won't because the lectures and principals will want to be seen to be good little workers by the DES. So it'll be asti on their own.. Again.

What I don’t understand is this - I listened on radio and saw on tv the marvel is work done by teachers across the country to get schools ready and welcome students back. It was brilliant to see and hear. Then you see the union officials that represent them. It does teachers a disservice. Surely a younger more pragmatic leadership is required?

Advertisement