Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

muffler wrote: »

They have now replaced that map with an Electoral Area map which basically has the county divided in 3 or 4 with layers which is pretty useless to be honest.

I emailed them some days ago asking why they werent updating the DED interactive map and the following is the nonsensical reply I got .....

The DED map was pathetic to begin with. The figures haven't changed in a coons age - and the new map is even worse.

I know for a fact that there are 3 new cases (maybe more) in my district electoral division.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for this new map to be updated, to reflect the new figures.
    Personally, I'm not holding my breath.
    The whole "patient confidentiality" line is ludicrous, given the size of the electoral area.

Its not like we don't have local knowledge of who is affected, anyway.
    But even leaving that aside altogether, there is absolutely no excuse for a five day delay in updating the map. Thats just concealing the facts, under the guise of patient confidentiality.

Or are we meant to believe that patient confidentiality is more important than the health of the rest of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Couldnt agree more lochlach.

Populations within DED's run from hundreds to thousands of people and how the Dept of Health can conclude that "patient confidentiality" would be a factor is beyond me.

A further 19 cases confirmed today for Donegal doesnt help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

muffler wrote: »
    A further 19 cases confirmed today for Donegal doesnt help matters.

Multiplying by a factor of 9x to account for per capita levels vs Dublin (1.4m), that’s the equivalent of 171 cases in Donegal. If this continues, I’d say we’re on track for a potential Level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

The figures haven't changed in a coons age

What does that mean? Never heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

madalig12 wrote: »
    What does that mean? Never heard it before.

Could be wrong but probably another saying for in donkeys years
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭malinheader

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Multiplying by a factor of 9x to account for per capita levels vs Dublin (1.4m), that’s the equivalent of 171 cases in Donegal. If this continues, I’d say we’re on track for a potential Level 3.

Hate the thought of restrictions again and was hoping we up here would fair okay again. But looking at the rise in cases in the county per capita compared with Dublin I just hope something is done quickly concerning restrictions as it's only going to get worse. I don't see any other solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

Will the "wet pubs" still be allowed to open in Donegal? They could be open for a few days and then shut again if these amount of cases continues

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If most of the cases are in Letterkennny, does it make sense to shut down the entire county?

Why hit rural areas behaving themselves cos Letterkenny isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    If most of the cases are in Letterkennny, does it make sense to shut down the entire county?

Why hit rural areas behaving themselves cos Letterkenny isn't?
    Looking at that colour-coded map (which I know is about a week behind real time), most of the cases seem to be concentrated in the east of the county.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finn Valley area had a fair few cases this week, from Lifford right up to Ballybofey. Saw Convoy mentioned too.
    The way the numbers are in Donegal at the moment it's nearly irrelevant to be looking for specifics. It's in the county and it's spreading faster than it was in the early stages, so everyone should be taking responsibility for themselves.

• Advertisement

19 again today. The trend is continuing to be steady/increasing which isn’t good. No sign of reducing numbers and local rumour mill would indicate more high numbers to come.

19 again today. The trend is continuing to be steady/increasing which isn’t good. No sign of reducing numbers and local rumour mill would indicate more high numbers to come.

Agreed. I know of 3 confirmed cases not a million miles from me.
    I also know enough about those cases to state with certainty there will be more, unfortunately - simply because of the jobs the poor patients have.

Local rumour is there are a further 5 cases, minimum. I can't confirm that - but I'm sufficiently concerned that I stocked up my store cupboard today, my freezers nearly full - and will be full by tomorrow evening when I get some meat and chicken delivered - and I'm only going out for milk for the next few weeks.

Donegal was always going to be at high risk of outbreaks, anyway.

We have a high percentage of people leaving the County for work, and education, together with more tourists than usual this year - when you think about it that way, it's surprising that we haven't had a lot of cases before now.
    We undoubtedly would have had, if the Country hadn't locked down.

Not having up to date information, or more localised information for a County as big as Donegal, really doesn't help, either.

Not having up to date information, or more localised information for a County as big as Donegal, really doesn't help, either.

As one of the health experts said, assume you have it and assume everyone you're meeting has it, act accordingly (follow all the guidelines) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As of 3 days ago, there were 2 patients hospitalised in Letterkenny with Covid. As far as I'm aware Altnagelvin has a similar number.

73 nationwide (in ROI).

As one of the health experts said, assume you have it and assume everyone you're meeting has it, act accordingly (follow all the guidelines) and you should be fine.

I already do. Having said that, I'd also like to reduce my chances of meeting anyone who has it - not because I want to ostracised those who have it, but because I want to reduce the chance of bringing it home to my husband, who has serious health issues.

I'm aware that some people don't follow the recommendations.
    I'm also not stupid enough to believe that every person who became ill with Covid-19 didn't follow recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

21 further cases announced today and as stated earlier its probably safe to assume that the figures will rise if even half of the rumours are to be believed.

Id be surprised if we werent moved up to level 3 this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

And Monday has typically been a day for under reporting. I fear it's a case of when, not if, for moving us up to Level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would pretty good at following the guidelines re masks keeping my distance handwashing ect but it just goes to show you how easily you could be caught out. On 7th sept a friend and her husband called to our house today I got a message from her saying her husband was tested on the 16th Thankfully it was negative
    But it could easily have been the other way And me having an underlaying condition into the bargain
    I said from today on no one is passing my front door until this is well calmed down

Another premises closed, Kelly's Diner in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Businesses (particularly cafés & restaurants) that have to close may find it difficult to attract customers back after re-opening. A few people at work today saying they'll be avoiding Kelly's for a while until they're sure none of the staff are carriers and the place is "safe".
    Even more worrying is the potential reaction if one or more of the major food retailers has to close.

• Advertisement

Businesses (particularly cafés & restaurants) that have to close may find it difficult to attract customers back after re-opening. A few people at work today saying they'll be avoiding Kelly's for a while until they're sure none of the staff are carriers and the place is "safe".
    Even more worrying is the potential reaction if one or more of the major food retailers has to close.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the businesses that are being very open about what's happening. I'm sure there are places trying to keep things quiet so they don't have to close, I know of one for sure. They're the ones you'd need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I wouldn't be overly worried about the businesses that are being very open about what's happening. I'm sure there are places trying to keep things quiet so they don't have to close, I know of one for sure. They're the ones you'd need to worry about.

I would agree with this 100%. I know that the local Mexican restaurant in Letterkenny were so upfront about the entire process, they would have likely lost 0 customers and are as busy as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was down the town today and saw a sign on County Seat's door saying they were closed due to testing.

But was in Courtyard as well and they actually had someone at the entrance telling people to wear their masks.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But was in Courtyard as well and they actually had someone at the entrance telling people to wear their masks.

This is a good thing, I think. We shouldn't be sitting back waiting for the Government to officially move us into a different level, or impose more restrictions. We can see the numbers rising ourselves and should be taking steps ourselves.
    The enforcement of masks is a funny one. I've seen lots of people approaching shops with no mask on and if there's a staff member at the door, they pull one out of their bag and put it on. Or waiting to see what other customers are doing and then putting it on. It's like there's still a lot of sheepy behaviour going on. People waiting to see what the rest of the crowd are doing and then following along.

I wonder why Donegal has such a high infection rate this time around. We are second now only to Dublin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-covid-19-data-donegal-has-highest-incidence-rate-outside-dublin-1018748.html

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I wonder why Donegal has such a high infection rate this time around. We are second now only to Dublin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-covid-19-data-donegal-has-highest-incidence-rate-outside-dublin-1018748.html

My own personal hypothesis is due to our proximity and links to the North, whom are dealing with their own surge of cases at the minute.

Highlands Hotel in Glenties closed also apparently

sp00k wrote: »
    My own personal hypothesis is due to our proximity and links to the North, whom are dealing with their own surge of cases at the minute.
    Makes sense.

And Castle Grove House, Letterkenny just announced their closure.

sp00k wrote: »

It's probably a combination of that and an extremely busy tourist season that was packed into about 5 or 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think we are for Level 3 this weekend.

Advertisement