Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Very quiet on the airwaves yesterday and this morning - only Club on 107.1 and a carrier on 91.0

Thought it was my antenna ! But picking up Heart on 105.4,BBC Cumbria on 95.6 and Mon FM on 102.5 along with the usual BBC nationals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Very strong UK signals this morning. I posted a bandscan in August at Myrtleville in Cork with 58 services, there was 69 this morning. Strong signals from Liverpool and Winter Hill were surprising.

88.4 - BBC Radio 2 - Carmel
    88.7 - BBC Radio 2 - Blaenplwyf
    88.9 - BBC Radio 2 - Llangollen
    89.3 - BBC Radio 2 - Haverfordwest
    89.5 - BBC Radio 2 - Kilvey Hill
    89.7 - BBC Radio 2 – Mynydd Pencarreg
    89.8 - BBC Radio 2 - Llanddona
    89.9 - BBC Radio 2 - Wenvoe
    90.3 - BBC Radio 3 - North Hessary Tor
    90.6 - BBC Radio 3 - Carmel
    90.9 - BBC Radio 3 - Blaenplwyf
    91.1 - BBC Radio Wales - Llangollen
    91.5 - BBC Radio 3 - Haverfordwest
    91.7 - BBC Radio 3 - Kilvey Hill
    91.9 - BBC Radio Wales – Mynydd Pencarreg
    92.0 – BBC Radio 3 - Llanddona
    92.1 - BBC Radio 3 - Wenvoe
    92.5 - BBC Radio 4 - North Hessary Tor
    92.8 - BBC Radio 4 - Carmel
    93.1 - BBC Radio Cymru - Blaenplwyf
    93.3 - BBC Radio 4 - Llangollen
    93.7 - BBC Radio Cymru – Haverfordwest
    93.9 - BBC Radio Wales - Kilvey Hill
    94.1 - BBC Radio Cymru – Mynydd Pencarreg
    94.2 - BBC Radio Cymru - Llanddona
    94.3 - BBC Radio 4 - Wenvoe
    94.6 - BBC Radio 4 - Kilvey Hill
    95.3 - BBC Radio Wales - Blaenplwyf
    95.8 – BBC Radio Merseyside – Allerton Park
    95.9 - BBC Radio Wales - Haverfordwest
    96.6 - Nation Radio Wales - Mynydd Pencarreg
    96.7 – Radio City – Allerton Park
    97.1 - Radio Carmarthenshire – Carmel
    97.7 – BBC Radio 1 – North Hessary Tor
    98.0 - BBC Radio 1 - Carmel
    98.3 - BBC Radio 1 - Blaenplwyf
    98.5 - BBC Radio 1 - Llangollen
    98.9 - BBC Radio 1 - Haverfordwest
    99.1 - BBC Radio 1 - Kilvey Hill
    99.3 - BBC Radio 1 - Redruth
    99.4 - BBC Radio 1 - Llanddona
    99.5 - BBC Radio 1 – Wenvoe
    100.4 – Smooth North West – Winter Hill
    100.5 - Classic FM – Preseli
    100.7 – Classic FM - Arfon
    101.1 - Classic FM - Blaenplwyf
    101.3 - Classic FM - Kilvey Hill
    101.5 - Classic FM - Redruth
    101.7 - Classic FM - Wenvoe
    102.1 - Swansea Bay Radio - Kilvey Hill
    102.5 - Radio Pembrokeshire - Haverfordwest
    102.9 - Nation Radio Wales – Carmel
    103.3 – Nation Radio Wales - Blaenplwyf
    103.6 - BBC Radio 4 – Llanddona
    103.9 - BBC Radio Wales – Wenvoe
    104.0 – BBC Radio 4 - Blaenplwyf
    104.3 - BBC Radio Cymru - Llangollen
    104.6 - BBC Radio Cymru - Carmel
    104.9 - BBC Radio 4 – Haverfordwest
    105.2 – Heart South Wales – Carmel
    105.4 – Heart North West – Winter Hill (confirmed not Heart S Wales 105.4 near Cardiff)
    105.7 – Heart South Wales – Preseli
    105.9 – Greatest Hits Radio Merseyside, North West and North Wales – Allerton Park
    106.2 – Heart South Wales - Fishguard
    106.8 - Nation Radio Wales - Wenvoe
    107.1 - Nation Radio Wales - Preseli
    107.3 - Nation Radio Wales - Kilvey Hill
    107.7 – Heart North Wales - Blaenplwyf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in Mid Ulster yesterday and braved the whistling and whining of AM for the benefit of the fora. Long stayers Radio North on 846 and Radio Star Country on 981 continue to broadcast, presumably from studios that were fitted out by Moses and on rigs that were supplied by Methuselah. No word of what rigs they use; I guess both are not on huge power as they were lost by the time I hit Newry. Incidentally Star played out a promo declaring them them be heard in Jamaica.....

Jamaica Street in Belfast, that is :)

Plenty of accordion hymns, Jesus saving and twangy accented Country and Irish songs dominate the playlists on both stations though the audio of the spoken output leaves a lot to be desired on both operations. Given that they both rely a lot on recorded programming it makes for hard listening. Maybe it's on purpose; after all God does love a trier.

Meanwhile Spirit can once again be heard loud and clear on their actual frequency, and unlike the other bible thumpers their signal thumps into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Infoanon wrote: »
    Very quiet on the airwaves yesterday and this morning - only Club on 107.1 and a carrier on 91.0

Thought it was my antenna ! But picking up Heart on 105.4,BBC Cumbria on 95.6 and Mon FM on 102.5 along with the usual BBC nationals.

Extreme returned to FM on 93.2 sometime this afternoon. Hot FM remained on a carrier for most of today - even though on social media they claimed to have a live DJ on, so maybe they were unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

I was in Mid Ulster yesterday and braved the whistling and whining of AM for the benefit of the fora. Long stayers Radio North on 846 and Radio Star Country on 981 continue to broadcast, presumably from studios that were fitted out by Moses and on rigs that were supplied by Methuselah. No word of what rigs they use; I guess both are not on huge power as they were lost by the time I hit Newry. Incidentally Star played out a promo declaring them them be heard in Jamaica.....

Jamaica Street in Belfast, that is :)

Plenty of accordion hymns, Jesus saving and twangy accented Country and Irish songs dominate the playlists on both stations though the audio of the spoken output leaves a lot to be desired on both operations. Given that they both rely a lot on recorded programming it makes for hard listening. Maybe it's on purpose; after all God does love a trier.

Meanwhile Spirit can once again be heard loud and clear on their actual frequency, and unlike the other bible thumpers their signal thumps into Dublin.

Not much happening with the radio scene in Mid Ulster, just the dire legals and poor coverage stations you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

fmfan wrote: »
    Not much happening with the radio scene in Mid Ulster, just the dire legals and poor coverage stations you mentioned.

Northern Ireland radio has more Q's than the last bit of the Jam Song.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JDxtra wrote: »
    Extreme returned to FM on 93.2 sometime this afternoon. Hot FM remained on a carrier for most of today - even though on social media they claimed to have a live DJ on, so maybe they were unaware.

hard to know as they do seem to usually mention 91.0 but didn't today.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not that a lot of people know that as Nova edited the part of the song 'Q101 to Joy 108' !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

The original Q102.9 in Derry was the best Q, decent djs, decent imaging etc, where did it all go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Not that a lot of people know that as Nova edited the part of the song 'Q101 to Joy 108' !
    And what a terrible edit it was - Heard it once on Radio West - and every other shout was 6db down - must have had only one output on tape deck - lots of stations used to do this to prevent L+R phase cancellations on tapes

• Advertisement

kazoo106 wrote: »
    And what a terrible edit it was - Heard it once on Radio West - and every other shout was 6db down - must have had only one output on tape deck - lots of stations used to do this to prevent L+R phase cancellations on tapes

Radio West - in glorious PT stereo....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

correct - signal generator 19khz (probably a 555 timer) in line with the output audio

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Radio West - in glorious PT stereo....

Wow, A blast from the past I haven’t heard someone say PT stereo in years.

Did a DAB scan this morning, picked up a number of stations from a MUX in Wales. Was just using an indoor radio with telescopic antenna.

Ol1rlpB.png

I’m picking up a dance station on 87.5 near Clondalkin, No RDS or ID also that over modulated station is on 94.1

Hot, Extreme & Club all on, No sign of Phever they normally switch on Fridays

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Heart South Wales absolutely romping in in Cork Harbour last night on 105.4. Also BBC Devon on 103.4, BBC Somerset on 95.5 and a number of French signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Just driving out towards Ratfarnham and just scanning the fm band picked up a carrier on 94.3 and it’s very strong, has RDS reading Testing also heard that Unidentified dance station on 94.1 with over modulated audio sound terrible. No sign of Phever here in Rathfarnham must be off or on very low power if they are on fm

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    Just driving out towards Ratfarnham and just scanning the fm band picked up a carrier on 94.3 and it’s very strong, has RDS reading Testing also heard that Unidentified dance station on 94.1 with over modulated audio sound terrible. No sign of Phever here in Rathfarnham must be off or on very low power if they are on fm

When I tuned to 94.3 All80s came up on the RDS and quickly changed to testing so the PI code must be the same. A presenter just said Testing on Am & stereo fm, Something exciting happening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

When I tuned to 94.3 All80s came up on the RDS and quickly changed to testing so the PI code must be the same. A presenter just said Testing on Am & stereo fm, Something exciting happening tomorrow.

I heard it this evening. He sounded like an experienced presenter. He played some quirky 80s tunes that you would not hear very often. It was also on 1395kw MW, home of Energy Power AM. When I hit my Info button, the RDS text said something along the lines of "Hi, excuse us, as we're getting things ready".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

I heard it this evening. He sounded like an experienced presenter. He played some quirky 80s tunes that you would not hear very often. It was also on 1395kw MW, home of Energy Power AM. When I hit my Info button, the RDS text said something along the lines of "Hi, excuse us, as we're getting things ready".

So do we know if All 80s themselves are actually behind these broadcasts?

• Advertisement

94.3 is now FUN this morning, A few familiar voices from Charity radio on it.
    RDS says Fun on the radio all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

Listening this morning,
    Mike Doyle was on air when I was leaving the house and he mentioned John Troy was on his way . I think they did something like this last year ( can't find the the tried )
    I was listening on 1395AM , their audio seems to have improved in the last few weeks? . Will try 94.3 on the way home later.

Any sign of Pirate FM coming back ? loved the tunes they played.

So do we know if All 80s themselves are actually behind these broadcasts?
    94.3 is now FUN this morning, A few familiar voices from Charity radio on it.
    RDS says Fun on the radio all day!
    SATNAV wrote: »
    Listening this morning,
    Mike Doyle was on air when I was leaving the house and he mentioned John Troy was on his way . I think they did something like this last year ( can't find the the tried )
    I was listening on 1395AM , their audio seems to have improved in the last few weeks? . Will try 94.3 on the way home later.

It's another one of those joint broadcasts across various frequencies. Mike Doyle is from Retro FM. I heard John Troy. He mentioned 94.3 FM, 92 FM and 1395 AM. At the time he was on (around lunchtime), I could not get anything from 92FM. Later this afternoon, I heard the by now recognizable Paul Murray from Energy Power AM. He gave out all those frequencies plus one on short wave - 631 on the 48 band I think he said. This time I did pick it up on 92.0, home of Retro FM. I reckon they were about 30 seconds behind. He gave out a number for requests which I think has been used for Energy Power AM. As said above, there are a number of Charity Radio presenters involved, including John Troy and Energy Power AM person Brian Kelly. Other Charity Radio presenters: Alan Hennessy, Tony King, Ger O'Reilly and Aaron Hughes. All of these have done this Fun Radio thing before.

My guess is that 94.3 is operated by someone connected to those guys, and, probably, one of them.

SATNAV wrote: »

They don't seem to be coming back. It's curious that they never got involved with these joint broadcasts of oldies - they did not seem to mix with the guys at Energy, Retro, Charity Radio and, previously, Easy Radio.

Actually, the same could be said about The Beach, when they were alternating as oldies type stations The Vault and, more recently, Star1057.

I just checked John Troy's biog on Charity Radio. It seems to be the same guy that was on Today FM and CKR and, a few years ago, pirate Non Stop Nineties...although he used to be called Jon Troy if it is all the same guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

They don't seem to be coming back. It's curious that they never got involved with these joint broadcasts of oldies - they did not seem to mix with the guys at Energy, Retro, Charity Radio and, previously, Easy Radio.

Actually, the same could be said about The Beach, when they were alternating as oldies type stations The Vault and, more recently, Star1057.

Fun radio very low on air. Sounds mono to me also the Retro relay is definition mono. Not getting them on shortwave though. AM sounding good. The Beach on air today. Very good audio and good signal out here clontarf direction.

Fun radio very low on air. Sounds mono to me also the Retro relay is definition mono. Not getting them on shortwave though. AM sounding good. The Beach on air today. Very good audio and good signal out here clontarf direction.

Fun Radio on 94.3 sounded good around Dundrum area when I was listening a bit earlier.

I did a search through Boards and found that Fun Radio had been done before on the following dates: 27/12/2017, 10/03/2018, 14/03/2018, 3/08/2019 and 16/11/2019.

Good to hear it on air. Signal a little weak out my way (94.3 usually is though), but agree audio wasn't quite right - low modulation and possibly in mono. I'll see if I can get closer to check again in a better signal area.

• Advertisement

I noticed on my travels that Storm NE are on a blank carrier on 104.2 today. No RDS

Advertisement