Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Good read indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so the charleton report managed to fit in a dig about policing of cycle lanes.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/parking-cycle-lanes-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Caught that yesterday. Apparently someone said that Charleton cycles in the city regularly but I don't know how true that is.

Edit, should have actually read the story before commenting, he said it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just to follow on from the crash I had, the bike is in having an assessment and some of you know how well I maintain the bike and the value I put on how it looks, that stuff is important to me. Anyway, my left lever is cracked and gouged and that will definitely need replacing but my rear derailleur also has road rub now, it's still perfectly functional but just marked, am I being a complete dick by looking to have this replaced also?

My pedal also took a slap but I had intended on replacing these anyway, well moving them over to the beater so I'm not too bothered about them but the levers and mech only went onto the bike in around June/July

Edit: The mark definitely came from the crash even though opposite sides of the bike, I went over the handlebars and left lever hit the ground the the the bike turned over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Yowch, you ok, Lollipop man?

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Yowch, you ok, Lollipop man?

Ah I'm fine, I only got a bit of road rash, I'm just rather annoyed that my minter than mint bike is now no longer the way I like it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Just to follow on from the crash I had, the bike is in having an assessment and some of you know how well I maintain the bike and the value I put on how it looks, that stuff is important to me. Anyway, my left lever is cracked and gouged and that will definitely need replacing but my rear derailleur also has road rub now, it's still perfectly functional but just marked, am I being a complete dick by looking to have this replaced also?

My pedal also took a slap but I had intended on replacing these anyway, well moving them over to the beater so I'm not too bothered about them but the levers and mech only went onto the bike in around June/July

Edit: The mark definitely came from the crash even though opposite sides of the bike, I went over the handlebars and left lever hit the ground the the the bike turned over
    I have the same type of OCD, if its a Di2 derailleur (I know mine is 170 quid new) I'd be inclined to not replace it, but if its a non di2 then its what 50 or 60 quid? Its a quandary alright but there is far worse stuff being claimed for

Luxman wrote: »
    I have the same type of OCD, if its a Di2 derailleur (I know mine is 170 quid new) I'd be inclined to not replace it, but if its a non di2 then its what 50 or 60 quid? Its a quandary alright but there is far worse stuff being claimed for

Yep Di2, R8050 and about €170, it's only a few months old. I am loathe to claim for unnecessary items alright. I also landed on my phone and I'll be claiming for that alright. Less than a year old Galaxy S8+, it's glass on the back which is now smashed and splinters keep going into my fingers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the headline on the daily mail front page is about calls to the gardai to not place speed camera vans near graveyards the day of a funeral.
    apparently, it's unfair to target the grieving, and irony is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the headline on the daily mail front page is about calls to the gardai to not place speed camera vans near graveyards the day of a funeral.
    apparently, it's unfair to target the grieving, and irony is dead.
    The Daily Mail gilding the lily there. From what I heard earlier on the radio, it concerned Gardai apprehending motorists at the gates of graveyards while a funeral was in progress - nothing to do with mourning motorists attending the actual funeral service.

(Most graveyards are located on the outskirts of towns and villages and probably within the urban speed limit but likely to be where motorists are inclined to speed up).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Anyone planning on doing Snowtown from Stamullen and descending into Naul...
    Apply some caution after you cross the bridge at the bottom!
    A cement truck spilled a load wet cement between the bridge and the pub.
    They attempted to clean it up but its still very slippy and lots of stones left.
    So theres a really good reason to avoid Snowtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

i was passed by a truck today, as it did so a stone flew up and hit my helmet, few inches lower would have been the glasses. Never happened before. Took a few seconds to realise the possible injury.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    Anyone planning on doing Snowtown from Stamullen and descending into Naul...
    Apply some caution after you cross the bridge at the bottom!
    A cement truck spilled a load wet cement between the bridge and the pub.
    They attempted to clean it up but its still very slippy and lots of stones left.
    So theres a really good reason to avoid Snowtown!

Someone spilled a wet load you say ...

Luxman wrote: »
    i was passed by a truck today, as it did so a stone flew up and hit my helmet, few inches lower would have been the glasses. Never happened before. Took a few seconds to realise the possible injury.

Lucky...

Also, turns out my frame is cracked, what a pain in the hole this is turning out to be.

ah jaysus.

ah jaysus.

I want to cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Lucky...

Also, turns out my frame is cracked, what a pain in the hole this is turning out to be.

You're going to have to sacrifice a bicycle to the Road Gods. Burn some sage as you do so, and chant Daisy, Daisy.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    the Road Gods
    clarkson, hammond and may?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pretty good article - most of you probably know all about, but I do adopt the primary position when cycling to/from work during school times, I've noticed a lot of people just opening their doors willy nilly

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/12/bicyclists-may-use-full-lane/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

A heartwarming tale from my local paper. I lock my bike at this train station

6unHuK1.png

Judge Zaidan, a notorious, or excellent, judge depending on the side of the law you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I like this Judge Zaidan

Hurrache wrote: »
    Judge Zaidan, a notorious, or excellent, judge depending on the side of the law you're on.

Not a great judge imo, he was formerly in Letterkenny and allowed a driver caught doing donuts on a junction to walk free because it was his last case in Donegal. This driver went on to kill 8 people

Not a great judge imo, he was formerly in Letterkenny and allowed a driver caught doing donuts on a junction to walk free because it was his last case in Donegal. This driver went on to kill 8 people

I don't think anyone would have foreseen a driver doing donuts go on to cause such devastation, certainly no judge in the country would have thought that merited a jail sentence without a crystal ball on their bench.

But if you take a look back at his cases you'll see he's one of more severe when it comes to road traffic offences. Maybe it's a chicken and egg situation.

Woke up during the night thinking I heard low voices and mooching around sounds from the rear of the house. Did a discreet check around without putting on any lights but didn't see anything so went back to bed.

This morning I learned that 3 neighbouring houses on the street (without alarms) have been entered (although nothing of note taken). There are some footprints on one of the flowerbeds to the rear of my house but possibly the house and garage alarm and 5 external CCTV cameras may have been a deterrent. Bikes are safe! :cool:

(Neighbours are asking me to go through the CCTV footage but I haven't a clue how to do that. I only know how to watch it 'live' :o. It never occurred to me to check it during the night when I heard the noises.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Might be worth asking the Garda Detectives do they know? or do you not have it recorded, just a live stream

CramCycle wrote: »
    Might be worth asking the Garda Detectives do they know? or do you not have it recorded, just a live stream
    The system was installed by the previous owner so I know little about it. I presume it has a recording system as I know the previous owner would have needed that. There is a monitor and a sort of box like a Sky box in the attic. All I know is that when I switch to a particular channel on the downstairs TV's, it gives a live feed from the internal and external cameras.

Neighbours say the Gardai aren't particularly interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Neighbours say the Gardai aren't particularly interested.
    I get the impression some become more interested when they have the possibility of proof, but not when there is little evidence and nothing major has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cerdito wrote: »
    A heartwarming tale from my local paper. I lock my bike at this train station

Is the judge any relation to Daragh Zaidan? A fairly high profile amateur cyclist and once very high profile junior cyclist. They have a passing resemblance, but might be more me putting 2+2 together

Advertisement