Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was that the RTE story or were you knocked off the bike? :confused:

- I seem to have confused people.
    - There was a positive story about cycling on the six one news.
    - It did not involve me.
    - It involved two people Everesting on the Conor Pass and went on for a few minutes (the news section, I presume the cycling went on for a good bit longer).
    - It at no point mentioned negatives about cycling, was friendly, and impressive and overall a nice piece.
    - I was so shocked by a positive news story that lasted more than 30seconds on the TV that I presume I imagined it and am actually stuck in my own mind, teetering moments from death on the side of the N11.
    - The fact that no one got this joke means that, good news, there was a positive, no negatives, random story on the news about cycling. Bad news, no one gets my sense of humour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bad news, no one gets my sense of humour.
    maybe you got a knock on the head?

maybe you got a knock on the head?
    Well played sir, I'd tip my hat to you but its sore to move it for some reason :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that first bike featured is genuinely interesting. interchangeable front and back wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

manafana wrote: »
    Today makes me realize why i try get out at lunch than evenings, ...

To get to point i had someone pull out on wrong side of road near bottom of cruagh road just after post office. Had hit breaks so just shrugged at him as he finally moved off, anyway id forgotten about it by time i got onto taylors lane only for himself to appear threatening to show me what he'd do to me if i had something to say to him.

He pulled in front of me then, so i went round, he stopped again alongside to threaten me and only drove off after id pulled camera out. He had a dublin accent but a northern reg navy blue jag if anyone saw it this evening, very distinct older model, staggering reaction to me shrugging at him pulling out on wrong side of road. Upsetting really

Had a similar experience as I got out for a short spin after work around Kildare/Meath. Someone in a jeep overtook me into a pair of blind bends, and I shook my head in disbelief.

I was then treated to some kind of weird courtship dance as he alternately swerved the car from side to side and braked - all thankfully a good 20-30 metres in front of me. After a while he got bored, the passenger gave me the finger and he drove off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

He had a dublin accent but a northern reg navy blue jag if anyone saw it this evening, very distinct older model, staggering reaction to me shrugging at him pulling out on wrong side of road. Upsetting really
    If you have the reg on camera, report it to revenue. A dublin accent shouldn't be driving a UK vehicle without re-registering it. They might seize the car...

Anyone here know anyone selling bolts with american/imperial threading

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone here know anyone selling bolts with american/imperial threading

Bolt Company in Ballycoolin maybe.

also wrong side of the city for you - i was recommended this place once but never got out there:

https://www.tucksfasteners.ie/

• Advertisement

Tucks don't seem to be the best lately. Try F.J.Keogh in Dublin Industrial Estate, Glasnevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

This is a fascinating comparison of Dutch street design with UK design:

https://robertweetman.wordpress.com/2019/03/19/i-want-my-street-to-be-like-this/

I wonder if the decision making process in local authorities is different in the Netherlands, here it seems so slow, and unwilling to upset anyone with any changes.

Slightly related, I emailed all of my councillors asking their opinion on Bus Connects/cycling infrastructure ahead of the local elections. Depressingly, the only one to reply is a confirmed NIMBY who I've no intention of voting for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Long shot but does anyone know where to get the cable stoppers for a Caad12 disc where the cables go into the frame from the front end? I fear water seepage, might get some Sugru if I can't find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

CannondaleExperts or CannondaleSpares?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Plastik wrote: »
    CannondaleExperts or CannondaleSpares?

Ta I'll get on these. Never knew about them :o

i'm sure everyone has seen this, but i think there are a few people here who cycle through drumcondra at times - not sure if they have cameras or not:
    Gardaí have appealed to any witnesses or to anyone who may have dash-cam footage of the incident or who was on Drumcondra Road Lower between 5.45am and 6.15am
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0322/1037896-dublin-rta/

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not to make light of such an awful tragedy, which this is, but again there it is, Gardai asking for Dash-cam footage, yet say they can't accept it most of the time when you go to them.

On the accident itself, even without hearing much about it, you could have guessed it was very bad given the various diversions in place and how much traffic ended up on the Ballymun Road and through Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not to make light of such an awful tragedy, which this is, but again there it is, Gardai asking for Dash-cam footage, yet say they can't accept it most of the time when you go to them.

On the accident itself, even without hearing much about it, you could have guessed it was very bad given the various diversions in place and how much traffic ended up on the Ballymun Road and through Phibsborough

baffles me to have an incident like that on an inner city road, excess of speed and mass driver error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

baffles me to have an incident like that on an inner city road, excess of speed and mass driver error

Heart attack/stroke at the wheel?

folks, please let's have no speculation on a cause of this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Weepsie wrote: »

The dashcam wouldn’t be for use in a criminal trial though. It would be to aid the Dublin County Coroner. So all the usual proofs required to get CCTV admitted are null and void

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Half the club in the next two weeks...

it's great to see how much of an impact trek's 'biggest development in cycling in 30 years' has made. something to do with bike helmets, i think?

Watching highlights of Grand Prix de Denain from today on Eurosport here, not a race I've seen before but wow!!!!!

Think Shay Elliot won this one ? Actually just as I type Quigley confirms it on commentary.

EDIT: One of the most impressive wins I've seen for a while, especially given the crashes earlier in the week and a few astana wins the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Watching highlights of Grand Prix de Denain from today on Eurosport here, not a race I've seen before but wow!!!!!

Think Shay Elliot won this one ? Actually just as I type Quigley confirms it on commentary.

EDIT: One of the most impressive wins I've seen for a while, especially given the crashes earlier in the week and a few astana wins the week before.

Yeah think its only been on local french tv, seems this yr they expanded to get eurosport rights, as iv not seen any french race with cobbles like this before on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kudos to a Dublin Bus driver on the 33 tonight. On seeing me pulling over to the side of the road outside Rush, he stopped to see if I was ok. I was only changing over the rear lights but the gesture was appreciated.

(I initially thought he was stopping to give out about something! :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Kudos to a Dublin Bus driver on the 33 tonight. On seeing me pulling over to the side of the road outside Rush, he stopped to see if I was ok. I was only changing over the rear lights but the gesture was appreciated.

(I initially thought he was stopping to give out about something! :o)

The driver is obviously a cyclist?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The driver is obviously a cyclist?
    Maybe not, I know alot of the posts here are giving out but some are just decent people

not surprising, but interesting news.

Time for a change: MEPs vote to scrap daylight savings time
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/time-for-a-change-meps-vote-to-scrap-daylight-savings-time-1.3839008

it has to be ratified individually by the various states now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And the decision is still left to each state as to what time they want to stick with, winter or summer.

• Advertisement

I vote for us to use CET and be an hour ahead of post-Brexit London...

If Spain can do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I had to stop reading as my eyes were watering!

I presume the old Brooks B17 wouldn't cut the mustard there!

Jesus what did I just read. Ouch!!!!!

I do however love the English's use of the word 'foof' for describing that particular part of their body.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice piece about cycling in Eritrea - some great pics

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47709673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

All new cars could be fitted with special devices from 2022 to automatically make them keep to the speed limit after new EU rules were provisionally agreed.

Road safety charity Brake described it as a “landmark day for road safety,” but the AA said the “best speed limiter is the driver’s right foot”.

“Dodgem cars are all fitted with speed limiters but they still seem to crash.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/all-new-cars-could-be-fitted-with-speed-limiters-under-eu-plans-1.3840046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

buffalo wrote: »

People have demonstrated that they can’t be trusted to self regulate their speed. No one can honestly say that they have never broken the speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had to stop reading as my eyes were watering!

I presume the old Brooks B17 wouldn't cut the mustard there!

Whatever about Foof, I've never heard it called The Mustard before :D

Christ the stuff you find online while waiting for the baby to wake up and remember she's still got half a boppy to go

I never knew this race existed, more info here http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/archive-footage-of-the-1936-dublin-drogheda-dublin-race-video/

My brain has kicked into if the race was run today what route would it take. I came across some aerial photography from the time from the defence forces which led me down this rabbit hole and roads that exist now just weren't there back then.

Does anyone have link with more history of the race ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Story in the Irish Times this morning: Cairn gets go-ahead for 107 Dublin apartments instead of 22 house

Existing residents of earlier phases of the development not happy:
    Residents were particularly concerned that, at less than one per unit, the number of parking spaces suggested the entire scheme might be sold to an investor as build-to-rent.

You want more traffic? Ummm, OK....

Surely this is excellent news for Dublin and the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't understand why so many parking spaces are expected in Dublin developments these days. There should be very few provided to encourage people to use sustainable transport.

There's a longer version of that footage around somewhere. It shows them going out through Balbriggan, Gormanston etc.
    The narrator describes the competitors setting on from Nelson’s Pillar (or Neilson’s Pillar as he calls it) and as can be seen, it was a handicapped race back then also. The race in the film is named Dublin-Drogheda, but it’s not clear as to whether this was a mistake or if it did actually finish in Drogheda at the time, rather than returning to Dublin.
    The link describes it as Dublin-Drogheda-Dublin but in the other footage I've seen, they are clearly finishing at Shop Street in Drogheda and the cup is presented by the Mayor of Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Christ the stuff you find online while waiting for the baby to wake up and remember she's still got half a boppy to go

I never knew this race existed, more info here http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/archive-footage-of-the-1936-dublin-drogheda-dublin-race-video/

My brain has kicked into if the race was run today what route would it take. I came across some aerial photography from the time from the defence forces which led me down this rabbit hole and roads that exist now just weren't there back then.

Does anyone have link with more history of the race ?

I was 3rd in Dublin-Drogheda-Dublin on Patrick's Day in 1992 or 1993. The race was always on Patrick's Day and held in the morning.
    I was a vet and I was in the limit group. We weren't caught. Two juniors slipped away at Kilmoone X and they stayed away. I won sprint for 3rd. At that time, The race started on the North Road, Finglas(N2) It went through Ashbourne to Kilmoone X and turned right towards Duleek, then it turned right at the top of Plattin hill, right again and left at bottom of Plattin onto Kilmoone. The race finished at a pub on the N2 north of Finglas (it might have been the Brock Inn)
    Before my time racing, the race used come into Drogheda and turn at Marion Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I was just thinking about that race as I passed the Brock Inn on the way home after a 200km Audax a couple of weeks ago.

I rode it in my first year racing in UCD back in 1995. The women's race went from the gun. I got dropped on the way into Duleek and found my own way back to the pub. I was an awful racer but I'm good at distance.

• Advertisement

More kindness from strangers tonight!

My crank became loose on the way home from work tonight on an unlit section of the R127. I walked a few hundred metres to the nearest street light to fix it. While doing so a motorist who had passed, turned back and offered me a lift. I didn't need it but really appreciate the offer.

One of these days someone will stop and offer you sweets to get in their car WA will you resist then ??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's, last 'official' training session done for the fight. I'm the lightest and fittest I've ever been and ready for the cage door to be locked behind me.

The fun part? Next week is 'rest' and light cardio, things I'm used to and I'm off from Tuesday so some cycling is in order then at the weekend I shall be having a victory pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Wishbone Ash, Next ones gonna be a serial killer...

Puggy wrote: »
    Wishbone Ash, Next ones gonna be a serial killer...
    Yea, probably at the back end of a mountain in Wicklow! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement