Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was thinking of the quietway plan that took in Marlborough Road and bits of Ranelagh. I was really thinking of that belt of high car ownership (non-car-owning households 28-38%) just south of the Grand Canal (though there does seem to be a hole in the middle of 50+% non-car-owning households).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah quietway idea was great one in theory, i could cycled to work mostly without having deal with car's cutting across lanes etc.

Only issue with quietways as with the canal path, your sitting often begging to cross and the light to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anybody ever order anything from Tweek Cycles? Got my dispatch email over a week ago, still no sign of the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

yep got the Castelli perfeto jersey,

i opted for the cheapest delivery option, it took a while after the email and iirc came via Sweden and somewhere else belgium ??

great piece of kit though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

devonp wrote: »
    yep got the Castelli perfeto jersey,

i opted for the cheapest delivery option, it took a while after the email and iirc came via Sweden and somewhere else belgium ??

great piece of kit though:)

Ordered the same item myself. I'll check later on if anything arrived but get the feeling I'll be contacting them in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Anybody ever order anything from Tweek Cycles? Got my dispatch email over a week ago, still no sign of the order.

Yeah, it was fine. I can't remember how long it took.

The guards were giving out shyte RSA lights on the Rock Road this eve, they asked me in passing (with my great lights!) whether I wanted some, and I shouted 'No I have proper lights'.
    I feel mean now.
    You'd be better off out holding a candle than using the lights they are giving out but they were friendly, and have been great anytime I have had to deal with them on cycling issues.
    Damn sharp tongue :(

ETA: I instantly thought of going back and explaining why their lights are shyte but thanks for the support but I did not.
    I'd nearly go back out and say it to them but I am absolutely sure they couldn't give less of a shyte about it!

I haven't been offered either hi-vis apparel or lights that might just about illuminate the inside of a shoe box, but I'd be tempted to ask whether I could have the €3 the whole lot cost instead. More use to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are slightly better than the last sets they gave out. I mean they are still shyte and I would have huge issue that the HSA is not taking the RSA to task for the encouragement of substandard PPE. A breach of the SHWW 2005 act. Road users as such could be viewed as visitors or sub contractors in the view of the act. Legally, they really only should have two positions. Either advise people the minimum legal standard and good practice and tell them they should not go out at night unless that standard is met or they should provide lights to that standard. They have failed at both. It would be a fantastic legal case. It would never [ass muster but it has enough teeth to get in front of a judge, the media fallout from it would be a great advertisement for the actual legal requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If a cyclist used these sub standard lights and happened to be in an accident then could the driver counter claim that the cyclist was using & supplied with inferior equipment for road safety?

In short pass any damages claim to the hsa.

It's an interesting idea. I definitely think encouraging people to use a builder's vest and a light that's really only suitable for telling you your coffee's ready is very much the wrong approach.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    If a cyclist used these sub standard lights and happened to be in an accident then could the driver counter claim that the cyclist was using & supplied with inferior equipment for road safety?

In short pass any damages claim to the hsa.

The ones handed out were branded DLRCC the other day and were slightly different (not by much) to the ones the RSA passed out last year. They will come in handy for attaching to my children when out for walks :eek:

But you do raise a valid point, unless the gardai were actually fining people who had substandard lights, then they could be seen to be endorsing these as appropriate PPE. If hit, and it went to court, the motorist legal team would presumably aim for the substandard light (presuming the motorist claimed the cyclist was unable to be seen until the last minute), the cyclist would say well the Gardai handed these out as a presumably suitable/adequate visibility aid. When the cyclist does not receive proper redress, presumably their legal team will turn on the Gardai, who will probably turn on the RSA (or whoever) for providing them with said lights.

This said, collisions with cyclists are quite low, it is a relatively safe form of transport so the chances of an accident happening to involve someone actually using these lights, and then it being serious enough to go further than a bollocking at the side of the road are low but it would be interesting. Particularly if it spurred the RSA into being useful in this regard. The fact that they have already started handing out PPE, means they are more likely to be forced into targetting more resources into adequate PPE rather than no PPE.

I wonder will we see any companies out Mayo direction suddenly ramp up USB rechargeable light production :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

The schadenfreude is strong.

image.jpg

GKGX9E1IOesd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dahat wrote: »
    I saw some tweet describing some free lights as "backup lights". This to me would infer lights in case your main one broke, but then they should still be up to scratch.

There should be some other term like additional lights.

Reflectors might be a better thing to hand out. These are also legally required but some might want an additional one, and plenty would have none at all.

Once the batterys go in the crap lights they end up in that kitchen drawer with the other random crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    The schadenfreude is strong.

image.jpg

GKGX9E1IOesd.gif
    the second pic in your post is not showing.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1196764086391971840

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

What about...

2TLqMq2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1196764086391971840

She the one who is the spokesperson for hauliers?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    She the one who is the spokesperson for hauliers?
    The very same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're talking about her now on drivetime.

apparently she said 'the RSA are manipulating the country'. i'm desperate to hear what she means, maybe she's aiming for the cyclist vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I accidentally deleted an activity from Strava a couple of minutes after uploading it.

Is it a case of when it's gone, it's gone or is it recoverable? I'm presuming the answer is 'no'. (Recorded on phone).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I accidentally deleted an activity from Strava a couple of minutes after uploading it.

Is it a case of when it's gone, it's gone or is it recoverable? I'm presuming the answer is 'no'. (Recorded on phone).

You can re upload it from Garmin connect

RobFowl wrote: »
    You can re upload it from Garmin connect
    Thanks - Unfortunately I don't use Garmin connect.

according to some threads from several years ago, the support staff can reinstate it; but if you're not a paid up member i suspect your plea would go unanswered.

according to some threads from several years ago, the support staff can reinstate it; but if you're not a paid up member i suspect your plea would go unanswered.
    It's not particularly important but I went for a long walk with the dog in an unfamiliar rural setting meandering through fields, forests, trails etc. and getting half lost. I'd just have liked to have seen an overview of the route I took.

It's not particularly important but I went for a long walk with the dog in an unfamiliar rural setting meandering through fields, forests, trails etc. and getting half lost. I'd just have liked to have seen an overview of the route I took.

If it is an android phone, you should be able to see where you have been via the google timeline feature I think. If you have never used it before, it is really creepy. A friend told me about it on a trip once, I put it in and google knew where i had been, what transport I was using, quite accurately, often without GPS on. Really unsettling.

that also depends on whether you leave the location setting on. i only ever turn it on when i need it.

that also depends on whether you leave the location setting on. i only ever turn it on when i need it.

It would have been on for strava, so google would have it unless opted out of. It also doesn't need the GPS signal on as I found out, using whatever cellular network and local wifi sources to do a reasonable job of guessing.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would have been on for strava
    doh. of course.

Can you still listen back to your voice searches on your google account ? Total cringe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would have been on for strava, so google would have it unless opted out of. It also doesn't need the GPS signal on as I found out, using whatever cellular network and local wifi sources to do a reasonable job of guessing.

What the wha?
    What is this now? How do you see if it's been working for you?
    I have everything unsynched and GPS off, I know there is no escape though.
    Oh noooooooo!
    I haven't the skills for Linux!

Advertisement